TD 383 - Numbers Game (Final results)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

clt013
J! and SJ! Pool Participant

TD 383 - Numbers Game (Final results)

Post by clt013 »

This TD is called "Numbers Game" and the questions have at least a loose connection to the numbers of certain players from my favorite MLB, NHL and NFL franchises.

Rules/Notes
1) Lowest point total wins; your score for each question is equal to the total number of players submitting that same answer
2) You may use one drop and take zero points for that question
3) You may elect to take the sheep answer for one question
4) There is no bonus for not using the "drop" or "sheep", so you probably want to take the former and get a zero for one question
5) Wrong responses are the higher of either +10 points or the "sheep" answer +3
6) All answers are due by 10:47 AM Central time on Tuesday, June 12, 2018
7) Submit answers via this Google form or PM

Questions

Blue Jays - Prominent players

1. 1 - Shortstop Tony Fernandez holds franchise records for hits and most games played. He also was part of the World Series champion in 1993, when 60 Minutes was the #1 rated television program. Given the star(s), name one of these other top shows from that year. [Letter required.]

A. Ted Danson and Kirstie Alley
B. Craig T. Nelson and Shelley Fabares
C. Jane Seymour and Joe Lando
D. Burt Reynolds and Marilu Henner
E. Candice Cameron and Lori Loughlin
F. Mark Curry and Holly Robinson
G. Tim Allen and Patricia Richardson
H. Angela Lansbury
I. Candice Bergen and Faith Ford
J. Rob Morrow and Janine Turner
K. Will Smith and Karyn Parsons
L. Robert Stack [host]

2. 12 - Second Baseman Roberto Alomar was part of two World Series wins and his Hall of Fame plaque is the only one with a Blue Jay logo. Name one of these 12-letter words that start with "B" or "J".

Rachel Lindsay was the first African-American to be this TV title person
Rob Schneider, David Spade and Jon Heder play baseball in this 2006 movie
Game show with board of hexagons where a solo contestant (red desk) played against a team of two related contestants (white desk)
Nickname for sports teams at the university based in West Lafayette, Indiana
One-quarter of the individual medley in swimming
1980s and 1990s wrestling tag team consisting of Luke & Butch
Home of the team which lost the most recent AFC Championship game
Putting someone or something into a situation where there is a danger of loss, harm or failure
Did a dance popular in the early 20th century
The 2010 FIFA World Cup final took place in this city
Process of recording business transactions in accounting books which only applies to the double-entry bookkeeping system
Authority of a sovereign power to govern or legislate; Limits within which any particular power may be exercised

3. 29 - Joe Carter ended the 1993 World Series with a walk-off homer and leapt in celebration. In a leap year, February gets day number 29 and the United States has a presidential election. Name any Democratic or Republican candidate for president or vice president on a losing ticket since 1993. [12 possible answers]

4. 37 - Dave Stieb has the most pitching wins and strikeouts in franchise history. Name one of these people who turn 37 in 2018. [Letter required.]

A. Actress best known for playing Rory on Gilmore Girls
B. Former WWE champion who ended two year retirement and returned to the ring at WrestleMania 34
C. Actor who currently plays Captain America in Marvel movies
D. Actor who was on 3rd Rock from the Sun as a child and in movies such as Don Jon and The Walk as an adult
E. A 7th place finisher on American Idol who became an Oscar and Grammy winner
F. Quarterback for the team that twice beat Tom Brady in Super Bowls
G. Prince Harry's wife
H. Aaron Burr in Hamilton, he can also be seen singing in Nationwide ads
I. Israel born Oscar-winning actress who did rap videos both times she hosted Saturday Night Live
J. Actress who played Tony's daughter Meadow on The Sopranos
K. Singer known for hits such as "Toxic" and "Circus"
L. Singer of "Cry Me a River" who played Napster founder Sean Parker in The Social Network

Penguins - Franchise leading scorers

5. 66 - Mario Lemieux is the all-time leading scorer for the team and current owner. There are sixty-six books in the protestant Bible - name one starting with M, A, R, I or O. [11 possible answers]

6. 68 - Jaromir Jagr was a member of back-to-back Stanley Cup champions and the second player to score 1,000 points with the team. He also played in the Olympics five times from 1998 to 2014. Name any country to win a medal in the men's tournament or a host city where the games were held during that span. [11 possible answers]

7. 71 - Evgeni Malkin has been part of three Stanley Cup champions and was MVP of the 2009 playoffs. The 26th Amendment became part of the Constitution in 1971. Based on the description, give the number for one of these other amendments. [Letter required]

A. Revises presidential election procedures by having President and VP elected together
B. Abolishes slavery
C. Permits Congress to levy an income tax
D. Establishes direct election of US senators by popular vote
E. Prohibited manufacturing or sale of alcohol within the US
F. Prohibits denial of right to vote based on sex
G. Changes date on which terms of President and Vice President begin
H. Limits number of times a person can be elected president
I. Grants DC electors in the Electoral College
J. Addresses succession to the Presidency and response to Presidential disabilities
K. Delays laws affecting Congressional salary from taking effect until after next election of representatives

8. 87 - Sidney Crosby is the current captain of the team and was born in 1987. Given two of the actors, name one of these movies from that year. {Hint: Initials of some answers include BN, I, M & O} [Letter required]

A. William Hurt and Holly Hunter
B. Patrick Swayze and Jennifer Grey
C. Michael Douglas and Glenn Close
D. Dennis Quaid and Meg Ryan
E. Mel Gibson and Danny Glover
F. Andrew McCarthy and Kim Cattrall
G. Cher and Nicolas Cage
H. Kevin Costner and Sean Young
I. Kurt Russell and Goldie Hawn
J. Steve Martin and John Candy
K. Eric Stoltz and Lea Thompson

Seahawks - Players in the Pro Football Hall of Fame

9. 45 - Safety Kenny Easley was a 2017 inductee. Although I have not owned a turntable for years, I still have my collection of 45s. Name the artist for one of these singles I own on vinyl. [Letter required]

A. 99 Luftballons (#2, 1984)
B. Abracadabra (#1, 1982)
C. Breaking Us in Two (#18, 1983)
D. Der Kommisar (#5, 1982) [Not the Falco version]
E. Electric Avenue (#2, 1983)
F. Is There Something I Should Know? (#4, 1983)
G. Maneater (#1, 1982)
H. Mickey (#1, 1982)
I. Our Lips are Sealed (#20, 1981)
J. Overkill (#3, 1983)
K. Rock of Ages (#16, 1983)
L. Rosanna (#2, 1982)
M. The Other Guy (#11, 1982)

10. 71 (Back again) - Offensive tackle Walter Jones was enshrined in 2014. In 1971, another Jones (Tom) hit #2 with his song "She's a Lady". Give one of these answers associated with "Jones". [Letter required]

A. Buddy Ebsen and Lee Meriwether starred on this 1970s detective show
B. Cartoonist who wrote, produced and/or directed many classic Looney Tunes shorts
C. Stock market index
D. Original singer of The Love Boat theme song
E. Comedian/actress who hosted syndicated daytime talk show from 1991 through 2003
F. Owner of the NFC franchise based in Texas
G. Group that sang Right Here, Right Now (#2, 1991)
H. Naval commander known for saying "I have not yet begun to fight"
I. Arkansas State University is located in this town
J. Counting Crows single which reached #1 in 1994
K. US boxer who wound up with silver medal at 1988 Olympics after controversial decision in final
L. Actress who played the Partridge family mother

11. 80 - Wide receiver Steve Largent was the first Seattle player honored with a bust in Canton. Interstate 80 covers 2900 miles from California to New Jersey - making it the second longest in the US. Name any other interstate of at least 1000 miles in length. [12 possible answers]

12. 96 - Defensive lineman Cortez Kennedy entered the Hall in 2012. There is a Great Hall in the Supreme Court Building - where Anthony Kennedy is currently a justice. Name someone who served on the Court with Kennedy any time since 1996. [13 possible answers]

13. BONUS #1: Choose one of the two options below.

A. 3 - Sports where one of the teams above had a playoff matchup against my wife's favorite team since we were married in 1999. Of the 10 head-to-head postseason meetings (1 Blue Jays vs. Orioles, 6 Penguins vs. Capitals, 3 Seahawks vs. Redskins), how many times have my wife's teams advanced to the next round? [Correct answer = -2, Answer within +/- 1 = -1]

B. 2016 - The one calendar year when all three teams above advanced at least one round in their respective playoffs. The Seahawks beat Minnesota in a January NFC Wild Card game, the Blue Jays beat the Orioles in the AL Wild Card and Rangers in the ALDS in October and in between, the Penguins won the Stanley Cup. For the second straight time, their clinching victory came on June 12 - which is also my son's birthday. Some of his favorite things are listed here - name two out of three in one of the categories to earn a bonus of (-2).

Nickelodeon TV Shows
A. Kira Kosarin and Jack Griffo as twins Phoebe and Max - part of a family with superpowers trying for normal lives in the town of Hiddenville
B. Casey Simpson and Lizzy Greene as two of four Harper quadruplets (three with rhyming names)
C. Jace Norman as Swellview superhero Captain Man's sidekick and Ella Anderson as Piper

Athletes
D. NFL: Seahawks #3 - Super Bowl XLVIII winning QB
E. MLB: Twins #25 - 2017 Gold Glove winning outfielder
F. NBA: Warriors #30 - 2015 & 2016 MVP

Activities
G. Solving Rubik's Cubes - including at a competition in Ronald Reagan's boyhood hometown of Dixon in this state
H. Playing Mario Kart on the Wii - sometimes using this "sweet" 10-letter vehicle that is a combination of two 5-letter words starting with "S"
I. Playing this musical instrument - with which he (and nearly four score others) could lead a big parade

14. BONUS #2: Choose one of the three options below [Correct answers = -1 each up to 5 for A, 6 for B & 8 for C]
Also, you may name more than those numbers and go for an extra "most correct, no incorrect" bonus of -1 for A, -2 for B or -3 (and -1 for 2nd) for C

A. 5 - Big 4 team nicknames (Cardinals, Giants, Jets, Panthers, Rangers) that could play against two of my favorite trio of teams. Name franchise "location" names that can play all three of the Blue Jays, Penguins and Seahawks. [Example: Though Miami has teams in all three sports, it does not qualify because the hockey team is the Florida (not Miami) Panthers.]

B. 6 - Stadiums/arenas to host at least 3 full seasons of games for the Blue Jays, Penguins and Seahawks - with the baseball and football teams both having played in domes and the hockey team's original arena having a retractable roof. Given the dome, name the state where it is located.

A. Walkup Skydome
B. Kibbie Dome
C. UNI-Dome
D. Cajundome
E. Superior Dome
F. The Dome at America's Center
G. Carrier Dome
H. Fargodome
I. DakotaDome
J. Alamodome
K. Tacoma Dome

C. 8 - Total Championships (2 World Series, 5 Stanley Cups, 1 Super Bowl) among the teams. Answer some of these questions and possibly move closer to a TD title.

L. This NBC series won its only Emmy for Outstanding Comedy Series in 1993
M. The first to fill the title role on a certain ABC reality show, she is one of the few still with the man she chose
N. This Reform Party candidate for president in 1996 received far less support than in his 1992 independent run
O. Of the three members of Destiny's Child (Beyonce, Kelly Rowland, Michelle Williams), the only one not born in 1981
P. These are the first two six letter Bible books that start with a letter in Lemieux
Q. This country won Olympic men's hockey gold in 2006
R. This airline began its first flights (between Dallas, Houston and San Antonio) in 1971
S. This 1987 movie featured two future state governors
T. Name the artist responsible for this single: Pressure (#20, 1982)
U. Matthew McConaughey led a militia of army deserters in Mississippi in this 2016 film
V. Name a primary (1 or 2-digit) interstate less than 50 miles in length [48 contiguous states]
W. This president nominated Anthony Kennedy for the Supreme Court
X. The Seahawks played this team in a regular season game at Rogers Centre (Blue Jays' stadium)
Y. In what state is the ETSU/Mountain States Health Alliance Athletic Center (aka Mini-Dome)?
Z. In what calendar year did two of the my three favorite teams win championships?
Last edited by clt013 on Sat Jun 16, 2018 9:01 am, edited 5 times in total.
clt013

Re: TD 383 - Numbers Game

Post by clt013 »

Entrant list...
Spoiler
MarkBarrett
wpwells
bev nar
Tybalteon
gamawire

casketromance
SenseiCAY
floridagator
threearruda
Kirbstar

AFRET CMS
psgola
1stlvlthinker
merica
twelvefootboy

jbeltz
colonialrampage
classicroadster
clprez
saturnalia

squarekara
This is Aoba
xxaaaxx
Ironhorse
Vintsanity

sillymoose
immaf
econgator
mennoknight
heppm01

Woppy T
morbeedo
ElendilPickle
MattKnowles
ihavejeoprosy

Chestnut Mare
Rackme32
coach P
daddy dewdrop
guessonguessonguess

Quantum
9021amyers
Last edited by clt013 on Tue Jun 12, 2018 9:53 am, edited 7 times in total.
clt013

Post by clt013 »

Bumping this before it falls off the first page.

Still five days to enter.
SenseiCAY
Jeopardy Participant

Post by SenseiCAY »

This was a tough one, but quite fun. Thanks, clt.
clt013

Post by clt013 »

Weekend bump - still almost three full days to submit your entry.
clt013

Post by clt013 »

Last bump before tomorrow's deadline - and there are still plenty of unused answers available.
Quantum
Valued Contributor

Post by Quantum »

If only "Think Similarly" were a competition, too!
squarekara
J! Reactionary

Post by squarekara »

Quantum wrote: Tue Jun 12, 2018 7:03 am If only "Think Similarly" were a competition, too!
Sheep for Your Life
SenseiCAY
Jeopardy Participant

Post by SenseiCAY »

squarekara wrote: Tue Jun 12, 2018 9:02 am
Quantum wrote: Tue Jun 12, 2018 7:03 am If only "Think Similarly" were a competition, too!
Sheep for Your Life
So if you're on Facebook, the Trivial Warfare Army podcast page sometimes has "sheep" games, which are the opposite of our TD games here - you have to guess the most popular answer, and the highest score wins.
clprez
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by clprez »

Sheep for Your Life
For a little while a couple of years ago we had some "think similarly" games. I think they were called "match games", but I can't be sure because I'm not very good at doing searches on this site.
clt013

Re: TD 383 - Numbers Game (Q1-Q3 revealed)

Post by clt013 »

1. 1 - Shortstop Tony Fernandez holds franchise records for hits and most games played. He also was part of the World Series champion in 1993, when 60 Minutes was the #1 rated television program. Given the star(s), name one of these other top shows from that year. [Letter required.]

A. Ted Danson and Kirstie Alley
B. Craig T. Nelson and Shelley Fabares
C. Jane Seymour and Joe Lando
D. Burt Reynolds and Marilu Henner
E. Candice Cameron and Lori Loughlin
F. Mark Curry and Holly Robinson
G. Tim Allen and Patricia Richardson
H. Angela Lansbury
I. Candice Bergen and Faith Ford
J. Rob Morrow and Janine Turner
K. Will Smith and Karyn Parsons
L. Robert Stack [host]

"Full" comes up empty, while the sheep found somebody to "hang with"…

F. Hangin' with Mr. Cooper (SHEEP) - 8
bev nar
gamawire
casketromance
colonialrampage
classicroadster
squarekara
econgator
coach P

G. Home Improvement - 7
threearruda
Kirbstar
twelvefootboy
jbeltz
saturnalia
Vintsanity
guessonguessonguess

D. Evening Shade - 6
floridagator
AFRET CMS
xxaaaxx
mennoknight
ihavejeoprosy
9021amyers

A. Cheers - 4
wpwells
Woppy T
morbeedo
Rackme32

H. Murder, She Wrote - 4
SenseiCAY
sillymoose
MattKnowles
Quantum

B. Coach - 2
merica
heppm01

C. Dr. Quinn, Medicine Woman - 2
1stlvlthinker
clprez

I. Murphy Brown - 2
Ironhorse
immaf

J. Northern Exposure - 2
ElendilPickle
Chestnut Mare

K. The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air - 2
MarkBarrett
psgola

L. Unsolved Mysteries - 2
Tybalteon
daddy dewdrop

NOT USED
E. Full House

DROP = 0
This ia Aoba

2. 12 - Second Baseman Roberto Alomar was part of two World Series wins and his Hall of Fame plaque is the only one with a Blue Jay logo. Name one of these 12-letter words that start with "B" or "J".

Rachel Lindsay was the first African-American to be this TV title person
Rob Schneider, David Spade and Jon Heder play baseball in this 2006 movie
Game show with board of hexagons where a solo contestant (red desk) played against a team of two related contestants (white desk)
Nickname for sports teams at the university based in West Lafayette, Indiana
One-quarter of the individual medley in swimming
1980s and 1990s wrestling tag team consisting of Luke & Butch
Home of the team which lost the most recent AFC Championship game
Putting someone or something into a situation where there is a danger of loss, harm or failure
Did a dance popular in the early 20th century
The 2010 FIFA World Cup final took place in this city
Process of recording business transactions in accounting books which only applies to the double-entry bookkeeping system
Authority of a sovereign power to govern or legislate; limits within which any particular power may be exercised

Purdue proves popular, while there's no love for Ms. Lindsay…

Boilermakers [West Lafayette, IN university teams] (SHEEP) - 9
bev nar
psgola
clprez
squarekara
xxaaaxx
ElendilPickle
MattKnowles
Chestnut Mare
Rackme32

Breaststroke [One-quarter of the swimming medley] - 6
Tybalteon
1stlvlthinker
merica
twelvefootboy
sillymoose
coach P

Johannesburg [Host city for 2010 FIFA World Cup final] - 5
threearruda
classicroadster
This ia Aoba
ihavejeoprosy
guessonguessonguess

Benchwarmers [Schneider/Spade/Heder baseball movie] - 3
Ironhorse
Vintsanity
9021amyers

Bushwhackers [Luke & Butch wrestling tag team] - 3
jbeltz
mennoknight
Woppy T

Jacksonville [Home to 2018 AFC Championship game loser] - 3
wpwells
SenseiCAY
econgator

Jitterbugged [Did an early 20th century dance] - 3
MarkBarrett
immaf
daddy dewdrop

Jurisdiction [Authority to govern] - 3
gamawire
floridagator
AFRET CMS

Jeopardizing [Putting something in danger] - 2
saturnalia
heppm01

SINGLETONS - 1

Backstroking [Also qualifies as 1/4 of the swimming medley, so accepted]
colonialrampage

Blockbusters [Game show of hexagons]
Kirbstar

NOT USED
Bachelorette [TV show with Rachel Lindsay]
Journalizing [Recording transactions in accounting books]

WRONG ANSWERS = 12
casketromance (British Bulldogs)
morbeedo (Journal entry - right number of letters, but too many words)
Quantum (Butterfly - 1/4 of medley, but only 3/4 of necessary letters)

3. 29 - Joe Carter ended the 1993 World Series with a walk-off homer and leapt in celebration. In a leap year, February gets day number 29 and the United States has a presidential election. Name any Democratic or Republican candidate for president or vice president on a losing ticket since 1993. [12 possible answers]

Second on their ticket (and in their election), but a tie at the top of this list for two guys...

Jack Kemp (1996 VP) [Co-SHEEP] - 7
Kirbstar
AFRET CMS
colonialrampage
econgator
Woppy T
ihavejeoprosy
Chestnut Mare

Joe Lieberman (2000 VP) [Co-SHEEP] - 7
wpwells
twelvefootboy
jbeltz
squarekara
xxaaaxx
MattKnowles
9021amyers

Al Gore (2000 P) - 6
psgola
1stlvlthinker
This ia Aoba
sillymoose
mennoknight
coach P

John Edwards (2004 VP) - 5
SenseiCAY
threearruda
Ironhorse
Vintsanity
daddy dewdrop

Mitt Romney (2012 P) - 3
MarkBarrett
immaf
Quantum

Bob Dole (1996 P) - 2
Rackme32
guessonguessonguess

John Kerry (2004 P) - 2
Tybalteon
clprez

John McCain (2008 P) - 2
casketromance
merica

Paul Ryan (2012 VP) - 2
bev nar
floridagator

Hillary Clinton (2016 P) - 2
gamawire
saturnalia

SINGLETONS - 1

Sarah Palin (2008 VP)
heppm01

Tim Kaine (2016 VP)
classicroadster

WRONG ANSWERS = 10
morbeedo (Evan McMullin - Ran as independent in 2016)
ElendilPickle (Dan Quayle - Lost as VP in 1992)

STANDINGS AFTER Q3
1. heppm01 - 5
2. immaf - 8
2. MarkBarrett - 8
4. Ironhorse - 10
4. daddy dewdrop - 10
4. Tybalteon - 10
4. merica - 10
8. saturnalia - 11
8. This is Aoba - 11
8. floridagator - 11
11. SenseiCAY - 12
12. gamawire - 13
12. clprez - 13
14. guessonguessonguess - 14
14. classicroadster - 14
14. Woppy T - 14
14. wpwells - 14
14. 1stlvlthinker - 14
19. Vintsanity - 15
19. mennoknight - 15
19. Kirbstar - 15
19. Rackme32 - 15
23. 9021amyers - 16
23. colonialrampage - 16
23. sillymoose - 16
23. AFRET CMS - 16
27. jbeltz - 17
27. threearruda - 17
27. psgola - 17
30. Chestnut Mare - 18
30. econgator - 18
30. ihavejeoprosy - 18
33. Quantum - 19
33. bev nar - 19
35. MattKnowles - 20
35. coach P - 20
35. twelvefootboy - 20
38. ElendilPickle - 21
39. casketromance - 22
39. xxaaaxx - 22
41. squarekara - 24
42. morbeedo - 26
squarekara
J! Reactionary

Post by squarekara »

clprez wrote: Tue Jun 12, 2018 1:52 pm
Sheep for Your Life
For a little while a couple of years ago we had some "think similarly" games. I think they were called "match games", but I can't be sure because I'm not very good at doing searches on this site.
I just sheeped three in a row! :lol:
Quantum
Valued Contributor

Post by Quantum »

Oh, oops on "Butterfly." Forgot to Read The Durn Question!
AFRET CMS
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by AFRET CMS »

squarekara wrote: Tue Jun 12, 2018 3:47 pm I just sheeped three in a row! :lol:
Going for my personal record of five? More power to you!
I'm not the defending Jeopardy! champion. But I have played one on TV.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

AFRET CMS wrote: Tue Jun 12, 2018 9:58 pm
squarekara wrote: Tue Jun 12, 2018 3:47 pm I just sheeped three in a row! :lol:
Going for my personal record of five? More power to you!
How on earth do you manage to stay awake? :lol:
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

1. I thought Northern Exposure would SHEEP
2. I cry foul on this one :twisted: (I was going to submit 'backstroking' but assumed you'd mark it wrong)
3. I didn't RTFQ
Category 13
Wagering Viking

Post by Category 13 »

morbeedo wrote: 1. I thought Northern Exposure would SHEEP
I was a little leary of that one too, but I took a chance. On the other hand, Jack Kemp was a sure fire SHEEP in hindsight.
Ironhorse
Second Banana

Post by Ironhorse »

For #3, I tried to think of anybody who ran as a Republican or Democrat in the primaries, lost, then subsequently ran as an independent or third party. I couldn't think of anybody, but it may have been risky anyway with the specific set of 12 possible answers given.
9021amyers

Post by 9021amyers »

Category 13 wrote: Wed Jun 13, 2018 1:12 am
morbeedo wrote: 1. I thought Northern Exposure would SHEEP
I was a little leary of that one too, but I took a chance. On the other hand, Jack Kemp was a sure fire SHEEP in hindsight.
Oh, I knew Hanging with Mr. Cooper would sheep. I also figured that one of Kemp and Lieberman would sheep, and leant toward it being the former; unfortunately for me, they both did.
heppm01

Post by heppm01 »

clt013 wrote: Tue Jun 12, 2018 3:36 pm
STANDINGS AFTER Q3
1. heppm01 - 5
The pigs are on the runway, ready for takeoff.