Tuesday, June 5, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

teapot37
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Tuesday, June 5, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by teapot37 »

Got FJ at about 25 seconds. Flirted with Rich Uncle Pennybags before I remembered hearing that Poirot got an obit after Christie killed him off.
Not many people can say they've lost four times on Jeopardy!.
IronNeck

Post by IronNeck »

This was definitely one of the weakest games all season. Joe played okay, blowing 2 DDs which ranged from gettable to downright easy (Prince Henry the Navigator), and being part of many simple Triple Stumpers...only to finish with a monster lock. Like others, I'm happy Leslie finished in second at the end, as she ends up with more $2,000.
Elijah Baley wrote: Tue Jun 05, 2018 9:48 pm
DBear wrote: Tue Jun 05, 2018 9:10 pm Are the regular clue writers on vacation and the interns are doing the writing? It just seems like the clue quality has gone way down. Why wasn't A-ha accepted? And how the %^&#! are we supposed to get Hercule Poirot out of that hot mess of a FJ?
One of the most famous fictional characters - known for his vanity and moustache - from an author who sold some 2 billion books and you're bitching because it's not something you know.

Sounds like someone else around here. :D

Seriously though, it's no different from any garden variety FJ clue that would be well known to someone familiar with [fill in the artist/author here].
Exactly. It was an instaget for me, and while I understand someone missing it, Agatha Christie and Poirot specifically come up on the show again and again and again.

Also, the most famous character of the highest-selling author in history, who has had countless large and small-screen movie adaptations over the decades is hardly obscure.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

DBear wrote: Tue Jun 05, 2018 9:10 pm Are the regular clue writers on vacation and the interns are doing the writing? It just seems like the clue quality has gone way down. Why wasn't A-ha accepted? And how the %^&#! are we supposed to get Hercule Poirot out of that hot mess of a FJ?
Imagine you've just cooked this beautiful chicken and have it under a cloche. You reveal the chicken by whisking off the cloche to a puff of steam and the amazement of your dinner guests. Do you accompany this reveal with "Ta-da!" or "A-ha!"

To the second...be familiar with Hercule Poirot? Sadly, Netflix no longer has the ITV Poirot series on streaming.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Tue Jun 05, 2018 7:29 pm Didn't recognize anything at all in Crime. What was the TOM for Los Angeles in the top box?
The murder victim named in the clue was a director (not a name recognition thing; "director" was in the clue) and the title had the word "Angels" in it.
Ironhorse
Second Banana

Post by Ironhorse »

Brazil and Holy Cow were surprising triple stumpers.

I had no chance on FJ.
davey

Post by davey »

MarkBarrett wrote: Tue Jun 05, 2018 2:19 pm BALL IN THE FAMILY was +3000 for Joe thanks to the run.

The FJ! clue has appeared in various ways previously
Spoiler

#7184, aired 2015-12-03 THE NEW YORK TIMES: OBITUARIES $200: Obituary subjects are real people, but this Belgian detective created by Agatha Christie merited a Page 1 obit in 1975
#5833, aired 2010-01-13 LITERARY CHARACTERS $400: In 1975 The New York Times ran an obituary stating that this "famed Belgian detective" was dead
#4066, aired 2002-04-15 A CHRISTIE MYSTERY $800: To coincide with his death in "Curtain", the New York Times printed an obituary of this Belgian detective in 1975
#3104, aired 1998-02-12 FOREIGN EYE $600: The New York Times gave a front-page obituary to this fictional Belgian detective
There's a lot of TOM in those clues - I could have used another hint in this one. Not anything as obvious as Belgian - maybe the name of the book, or female creator? But something more than mustaches...I don't remember those earlier clues as much as I remember the event itself...But still this clue didn't trigger anything that made sense.
I'm also at 50% for the week, with a Dorian Gray guess...
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

Contrary to expectations, Alex didn't pursue the chicken coop quest. Just FYI, pullets cost $4.00-$4.50 each at the farm store. They won't begin laying until they are 30 weeks old. Other than that, hens are fun to have and pretty low maintenance and the eggs are delicious. Oh, and you'll average about 5 eggs/week per hen. Just don't bother getting a damn rooster, #metoo.

I recognize Hercule Poirot as a fictional detective, and Agatha Christie as a famous author, but didn't know HP was the protagonist in her books. I'm fine with the clue, it should have clicked if you read one book without knowing it is a J! favorite topic. I guessed Dick Tracy, thinking maybe his creator died and it was a tribute. But the vanity angle didn't work of course.

I couldn't pull Henry the Navigator, and likewise picked Bhutan because Brunei didn't come up first in the brain scramble for Arab countries.

I've no problem with Alex blurring the $1 win with the last taping season, or just brain locking it altogether. 90% of the viewing audience doesn't remember the $1 game at all, or which season it was.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

Wpwells wrote: Tue Jun 05, 2018 2:19 pm Oh man - a famous mustachioed character who might be vain? I matched Megan with the Monopoly Man.
Why wouldn't the Monopoly man be vain? According to the Community Chest card (or is it Chance?) he did win second place in a beauty contest and received $10!
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

The bit that threw me was "false mustache." I always assumed Poirot's 'stache was real. The only thing I could come up with (also) was the Monopoly Man.
Peachbox
3-time Jeopardy!/Sports Jeopardy! runner-up

Post by Peachbox »

Came up with the Marlboro Man for FJ, wondering if the smoking-on-tv ban was around 1975 (it went into effect in 1971).
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

Peachbox wrote: Tue Jun 05, 2018 11:57 pm Came up with the Marlboro Man for FJ, wondering if the smoking-on-tv ban was around 1975 (it went into effect in 1971).
Not a bad guess at all.
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

39 R
DD: 2/3
FJ: :oops:
LT: A Chorus Line, Dengue Fever, Brazil, Liberia, Vasco da Gama, (Brunei), Ta-Da, (Henry the Navigator)
Douglas Squasoni
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

Ironhorse wrote: Tue Jun 05, 2018 10:45 pm Brazil and Holy Cow were surprising triple stumpers.

I had no chance on FJ.
use harry carey instead of scooter (don't feel like butchering his last name) and i would have got it
bomtr
Just a Man Like Any Other

Post by bomtr »

A-ha is a Norwegian band; aha is an English interjection.

Got FJ at 20 seconds, but with low confidence. Sultan whose country starts with 'b' has to be Brunei. Not many sultans these days.
BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

Coryat: 31,400
42 R/3 W
DD: 3/3
FJ: :(
LT: hijacking airplanes (DD), dengue fever, Liberia, Brunei (DD), ta-da, Henry the Navigator

I know of Poirot, but he was nowhere on my radar for FJ! My best guess was Mr. Potato Head, even though I knew he wasn't "dead" in 1975.

I expected a reversal on "gel." It's pretty common for gelatin-based desserts to be called gels, and those are definitely chilled.

It's too bad Megan couldn't put together sultan + B = Brunei, or else she might have had a chance to win on the TS FJ! Then again, given that she threw away $1,000 with her FJ! overwager, it's entirely likely that Joe would have won with a payout similar to Leslie's on Monday's show.
Sprinkles are for winners.
davey

Post by davey »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Tue Jun 05, 2018 11:55 pm The bit that threw me was "false mustache." I always assumed Poirot's 'stache was real. The only thing I could come up with (also) was the Monopoly Man.
The "obituary" indicates that this detail is from the last book, when Poirot is in a nursing home, so "false" is a bit of a distraction.
Unless you remember the peculiar old-fashioned use of "mustaches," the only help the clue provides is "vanity" and of course the 1975 "death" and obit. I remembered it after the reveal, but it's a long time ago... Kudos to those who recalled it from previous J! clues...
https://www.nytimes.com/1975/08/06/arch ... t-the.html
Last edited by davey on Wed Jun 06, 2018 8:06 am, edited 2 times in total.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Bamaman wrote: Tue Jun 05, 2018 4:20 pm No chicken coop for Leslie’s husband but she does get an extra grand from Megan’s overbet to top second place from yesterday.
NO COOP FOR YOU!
davey wrote: Tue Jun 05, 2018 11:13 pm with a Dorian Gray guess...
Count another Dorian Gray. Fictional ... vanity ... old ... Had nothing better.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Tue Jun 05, 2018 11:55 pm The bit that threw me was "false mustache." I always assumed Poirot's 'stache was real. The only thing I could come up with (also) was the Monopoly Man.
It is until it isn't. That's all I'll say.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

alietr wrote: Wed Jun 06, 2018 7:59 am
Bamaman wrote: Tue Jun 05, 2018 4:20 pm No chicken coop for Leslie’s husband but she does get an extra grand from Megan’s overbet to top second place from yesterday.
NO COOP FOR YOU!
:lol:
squarekara
J! Reactionary

Post by squarekara »

opusthepenguin wrote: Wed Jun 06, 2018 10:04 am
alietr wrote: Wed Jun 06, 2018 7:59 am
NO COOP FOR YOU!
:lol:
C'mon, Leslie. Let the guy have his coop. I'm envisioning one designed like the "Jeopardy!" set with individual podium roosting areas. Daily Double Yolk, etc.