Tuesday, June 5, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

alietr
Site Admin

Re: Tuesday, June 5, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by alietr »

squarekara wrote: Wed Jun 06, 2018 10:20 am
C'mon, Leslie. Let the guy have his coop. I'm envisioning one designed like the "Jeopardy!" set with individual podium roosting areas. Daily Double Yolk, etc.
Give the woman a break; she just barely escaped getting out of there without even making bus fare.
squarekara
J! Reactionary

Post by squarekara »

alietr wrote: Wed Jun 06, 2018 10:25 am
squarekara wrote: Wed Jun 06, 2018 10:20 am
C'mon, Leslie. Let the guy have his coop. I'm envisioning one designed like the "Jeopardy!" set with individual podium roosting areas. Daily Double Yolk, etc.
Give the woman a break; she just barely escaped getting out of there without even making bus fare.
I grew up with backyard chickens (named after UCLA basketball players), and I wish we could have them where we live now. My brother and I would bring the chicks indoors to watch afterschool cartoons with us. Leslie's family should know such joy!

Plus, there's this kinda thing:
Spoiler
heppm01
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by heppm01 »

WAGed Jay Gatsby based just on his connection to New York, 99% sure it would be wrong.

Marlboro Man is not a bad guess.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

davey wrote: Wed Jun 06, 2018 5:31 am
This Is Kirk! wrote: Tue Jun 05, 2018 11:55 pm The bit that threw me was "false mustache." I always assumed Poirot's 'stache was real. The only thing I could come up with (also) was the Monopoly Man.
The "obituary" indicates that this detail is from the last book, when Poirot is in a nursing home, so "false" is a bit of a distraction.
Unless you remember the peculiar old-fashioned use of "mustaches," the only help the clue provides is "vanity" and of course the 1975 "death" and obit. I remembered it after the reveal, but it's a long time ago... Kudos to those who recalled it from previous J! clues...
https://www.nytimes.com/1975/08/06/arch ... t-the.html
Seemed like a bit of a red herring unless you're specifically a Poirot fan. Seems like a little bit more was needed. Adding "Belgian" would have probably made it too easy, but maybe not.
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

Elijah Baley wrote: Tue Jun 05, 2018 9:48 pm
DBear wrote: Tue Jun 05, 2018 9:10 pm Are the regular clue writers on vacation and the interns are doing the writing? It just seems like the clue quality has gone way down. Why wasn't A-ha accepted? And how the %^&#! are we supposed to get Hercule Poirot out of that hot mess of a FJ?
One of the most famous fictional characters - known for his vanity and moustache - from an author who sold some 2 billion books and you're bitching because it's not something you know.

Sounds like someone else around here. :D

Seriously though, it's no different from any garden variety FJ clue that would be well known to someone familiar with [fill in the artist/author here].
Look, jack, I know Hercule Poirot. I've read Agatha Christie. I'm saying how do you get that from the ^%*$^)! clue ! :evil: :x
I'm saying the clues lately have been poorly written and not up to usual standards.
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

DBear wrote: Wed Jun 06, 2018 1:21 pm
DBear wrote: Tue Jun 05, 2018 9:10 pm Are the regular clue writers on vacation and the interns are doing the writing? It just seems like the clue quality has gone way down. Why wasn't A-ha accepted? And how the %^&#! are we supposed to get Hercule Poirot out of that hot mess of a FJ?
One of the most famous fictional characters - known for his vanity and moustache - from an author who sold some 2 billion books and you're bitching because it's not something you know.

Seriously though, it's no different from any garden variety FJ clue that would be well known to someone familiar with [fill in the artist/author here].
Look, jack, I know Hercule Poirot. I've read Agatha Christie. I'm saying how do you get that from the ^%*$^)! clue ! :evil: :x
I'm saying the clues lately have been poorly written and not up to usual standards.
This Is Kirk! wrote: Wed Jun 06, 2018 12:46 pm

Seemed like a bit of a red herring unless you're specifically a Poirot fan. Seems like a little bit more was needed. Adding "Belgian" would have probably made it too easy, but maybe not.
Why don't you get on your high horse to Kirk while you're at it?
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

Amen, and amen. If what they were going for was "ridiculously difficult clue that only Watson the computer would get," they nailed it.

Boo and hiss to this FJ.
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

IronNeck wrote: Tue Jun 05, 2018 10:38 pm This was definitely one of the weakest games all season. Joe played okay, blowing 2 DDs which ranged from gettable to downright easy (Prince Henry the Navigator), and being part of many simple Triple Stumpers...only to finish with a monster lock. Like others, I'm happy Leslie finished in second at the end, as she ends up with more $2,000.

Exactly. It was an instaget for me, and while I understand someone missing it, Agatha Christie and Poirot specifically come up on the show again and again and again.

Also, the most famous character of the highest-selling author in history, who has had countless large and small-screen movie adaptations over the decades is hardly obscure.
True, Christie and Poirot are quite well known.

But this clue basically says a fictional character who "died" 40 years ago. No reference to Christie, or inspector, or Belgian. if you got this clue, good for you. I stand by my first post. Ridiculous FJ.
AFRET CMS
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by AFRET CMS »

threearruda wrote: Tue Jun 05, 2018 8:29 pm
Nothing for this final - put down Groucho Marx to have something with a mustache and yes, I know he was real.
But the mustache wasn't -- at least in the early days. In the classic Marx Brothers films, it was greasepaint smeared across his upper lip. He later grew a real mustache for "You Bet You Life" after he refused to use greasepaint on TV.

Since the clue referenced "false mustaches," one could be forgiven for Groucho -- especially if one of his famous characters like "Rufus T. Firefly" or "Otis P. Driftwood" had ever had an obituary printed as a prank.

As a side note, I'm not a major Christie fan, but came up with Hercule Poirot in the final seconds, and frantically scribbled "H. Piorot" as time ran out. Don't know if the hasty misspelling would have been accepted.
I'm not the defending Jeopardy! champion. But I have played one on TV.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

AFRET CMS wrote: Wed Jun 06, 2018 2:57 pm As a side note, I'm not a major Christie fan, but came up with Hercule Poirot in the final seconds, and frantically scribbled "H. Piorot" as time ran out. Don't know if the hasty misspelling would have been accepted.
Sorry, no detectives from Belguim allowed.
AFRET CMS
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by AFRET CMS »

opusthepenguin wrote: Wed Jun 06, 2018 3:03 pm
AFRET CMS wrote: Wed Jun 06, 2018 2:57 pm As a side note, I'm not a major Christie fan, but came up with Hercule Poirot in the final seconds, and frantically scribbled "H. Piorot" as time ran out. Don't know if the hasty misspelling would have been accepted.
Sorry, no detectives from Belguim allowed.
Not even when played by the inimitable Kenneth Branahg? You're a tough judge.
I'm not the defending Jeopardy! champion. But I have played one on TV.
Elijah Baley

Post by Elijah Baley »

DBear wrote: Wed Jun 06, 2018 1:21 pm

Again - jack - they gave you that it was a fictional character who "died" in 1975 (i.e., "Curtain"), who had a mustache (fake or real, as they were in his early days) and that he was vain. That's more than enough for someone familiar with Poirot to get there instantly. It doesn't mean that everyone familiar with Poirot would get it. And again, I admit to saying that you sound a bit like TPH here because the writers didn't take you by the hand by adding "Belgian" and/or "detective" and/or "Agatha Christie" or whatever else might have made it even easier. I do agree that some of the recent FJ clues have been a little suspect - including repetitive categories, etc. - but I think this one was much easier - and clearer - than you make it out to be.

And sorry/not sorry if you can't handle a little ribbing when you're complaining about a clue that didn't require many "little grey cells" to get to the right response. It's not made with malice - just not letting you off for your comment that makes this out to be the writers' fault. ;)
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

I'm seeing it about 7/24 here so 35% may the top end of the poll while I have no doubt it will be over 25%.
Anachronism

Post by Anachronism »

I felt FJ needed a TOM. I was trying to use the New York area and spent the next 29 seconds trying to remember the name of the Monopoly guy.

I was even looking up something related to Christie a couple of days ago, and it would never have occurred to me the mustache was notably fake. Was that mentioned in one of the major novels? Maybe the age vanity? Anyway, seems to fall into the category of clues related to current events that have an expiration date.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

Anachronism wrote: Wed Jun 06, 2018 4:58 pm I was even looking up something related to Christie a couple of days ago, and it would never have occurred to me the mustache was notably fake. Was that mentioned in one of the major novels? Maybe the age vanity? Anyway, seems to fall into the category of clues related to current events that have an expiration date.
It was a real mustache until it wasn't; it's explained in Curtain.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): WIthnail & I (7), An Autumn Afternoon (7), Europa Europa (7), Tampopo (9)
Anachronism

Post by Anachronism »

Volante wrote: Wed Jun 06, 2018 5:04 pm
Anachronism wrote: Wed Jun 06, 2018 4:58 pm I was even looking up something related to Christie a couple of days ago, and it would never have occurred to me the mustache was notably fake. Was that mentioned in one of the major novels? Maybe the age vanity? Anyway, seems to fall into the category of clues related to current events that have an expiration date.
It was a real mustache until it wasn't; it's explained in Curtain.
OK. So that explains a temporary excitement. A notable author releases a final novel that she wrote decades earlier, just before she dies. It's a bit like Harper Lee a couple of years ago, only Christie did this consciously and Lee apparently realized how bad Go Set a Watchman was and knew it shouldn't be published. But that's quite a specific detail for a character who was in dozens of novels.

The trivia itself is interesting, though the NYT is hardly what it was back in its day. I think it needs more 40 years later - more time than what had elapsed between when the novel was written and when it was published. But if it tests at 25-35%, then I'm surprised, but it's within the range of what works for Jeopardy. Personally, I don't like it when I think I have reasoned something out but wasted that effort. But my experience isn't definitive by any means.
A drop of golden sun
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by A drop of golden sun »

Anachronism wrote: Wed Jun 06, 2018 4:58 pm I felt FJ needed a TOM. I was trying to use the New York area and spent the next 29 seconds trying to remember the name of the Monopoly guy.

I was even looking up something related to Christie a couple of days ago, and it would never have occurred to me the mustache was notably fake. Was that mentioned in one of the major novels? Maybe the age vanity? Anyway, seems to fall into the category of clues related to current events that have an expiration date.

Sorry for my ignorance:
What's a TOM?
AndyTheQuizzer
Lots and Lots of Interviews

Post by AndyTheQuizzer »

A drop of golden sun wrote: Fri Jun 08, 2018 2:58 am
Anachronism wrote: Wed Jun 06, 2018 4:58 pm I felt FJ needed a TOM. I was trying to use the New York area and spent the next 29 seconds trying to remember the name of the Monopoly guy.

Sorry for my ignorance:
What's a TOM?
http://www.j-archive.com/help.php#teaseoutmetric
Andy Saunders
J! Archive Founding Archivist
Publisher - The Jeopardy! Fan
Ironhorse
Second Banana

Post by Ironhorse »

I wouldn't have pulled Poirot if they spotted me Agatha Christie.

This appears to be a major knowledge gap I'm shoring up right now by reading Christie's Wiki page.