Wednesday, June 6, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

CailinGaoilge
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Location: Ontario, Canada; formerly resident in UK and Ireland

Re: Wednesday, June 6, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by CailinGaoilge »

lisa0012 wrote: Wed Jun 06, 2018 9:26 pm
Wpwells wrote: Wed Jun 06, 2018 11:30 am Rainha (right or wrong) led me to royalty because it seemed to be the similar to the Spanish word Rey (and I guessed Rainha was Portuguese). From there the feminine ending led me to queen. 2/3
Spanish for queen is reina. So good logic.
And I got it from Reine, the French for queen.
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

Shaping up as a box of shame week in FJ as my deconstruction fixated on the two words starting with R instead of the giveaway feminine endings. I went for rook after eliminating pawn and running the back row. Especially since I learned rook as "castle", and figured it could have multiple dissimilar names in other languages as well. It was a good FJ, and although it is a gimme on this board and to the contestants, is meaty enough for home viewers.

Gotta love the "Hog" as the seat of gov'ment in Netherlands.

Think Buzzy is still in the audience? I expected another sighting, then remembered it would defy their illusion that the shows are taped on different days - "Oh, Buzzy came back in the same clothes!".
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

44 R
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: Recovered, Deacon, And, Jerusalem, Position, Pritzker Prize
Douglas Squasoni
Giannid
Contributor

Post by Giannid »

Alex mispronounced "Rainha" which should rhyme with "piña" (as in piña colada). Rainha is also so similar to the Spanish for queen, "reina", that I knew the former Spanish teacher would get it correct. Anyone else taken aback by her authentic pronunciation of Hernán Cortéz? :P
BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

Coryat: 35,000
44 R/1 W
DD: 2/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: dea(co)n, Jim, Harry Blackmun, and, Pritzger Prize

I was once fairly fluent in Portuguese, but I don't think I ever ran across the word rainha. I figured, though, that it had to be the Portuguese analogue to the Spanish reina.

I don't think of cannons as guns. They are, obviously, but I don't associate the term with items that large.

"What's T'Challa's other name?" is not a $2000 clue in the year 2018.
Sprinkles are for winners.
Ironhorse
Second Banana

Post by Ironhorse »

hscer wrote: Wed Jun 06, 2018 10:46 pm
Ironhorse wrote: Wed Jun 06, 2018 10:07 pm I have a chess piece tattooed on my arm (not the malka or the reinha) so I wouldn't have forgiven myself for missing this one.
do you play online anywhere?

I wonder how this one will poll
lichess as Mennonite, though I don't have a lot of time to play anymore.
Elijah Baley

Post by Elijah Baley »

BigDaddyMatty wrote: Thu Jun 07, 2018 3:37 am
I don't think of cannons as guns. They are, obviously, but I don't associate the term with items that large.
So, The Guns of Navarone were just rifles? :D
lisa0012

Post by lisa0012 »

Ironhorse wrote: Wed Jun 06, 2018 10:07 pm I have a chess piece tattooed on my arm (not the malka or the reinha) so I wouldn't have forgiven myself for missing this one.
What about the macarena?
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

bigblue999 wrote: Wed Jun 06, 2018 6:46 pm You had a 1/6 chance to nail FJ! Malka, Rainha & Rouva all sounded like feminine names. Only chess piece that's feminine? The Queen!
Identifying these words as feminine never occurred to me, as other languages don't necessarily follow that kind of "logic." Malka and Rouva were absolutely unknown to me and led me nowhere. Rainha, however, led me to reine (French?), reina (Spanish), and regina (Latin), so Queen was the only thing that fit.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

BigDaddyMatty wrote: Thu Jun 07, 2018 3:37 am I don't think of cannons as guns. They are, obviously, but I don't associate the term with items that large.
Apparently you've never seen my biceps, brah. :D
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Nobody's mentioned it, but I wonder why they didn't just reshoot the Bonnie clue with Alex saying the right century (likely they usually do) rather than have him apologize like that. It came off fine, but that's not their modus operandi.
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Wed Jun 06, 2018 7:28 pm Didn't recognize anything in World History.

Also can't say I recognize Aquaman.

Any reason I should know Pier for $200 was Baltic Sea? For all I know Lithuania is on Mars.

No idea where to even start on this FJ! None of the words sounded like anything to me. How the hell was this a triple get?

Lach Trash: recovered, deacon
because lithauania is considered a baltic nation and is on the baltic sea?
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

malka seemed close to the russian word for "small" so i went with the smallest piece on the board...pawn
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

Elijah Baley wrote: Thu Jun 07, 2018 8:20 am
Maybe AFRET can verify this, but my 'Nam veteran college buddies told of Basic Training - if you called your rifle a gun, you had to stand (someplace public, can't remember if it was in front of the formation or at sentry?) and repeatedly point at your weapon and your private parts while reciting loudly -

"This is my weapon (point to firearm), and This is my Gun (point at your junk) - One is for business, the other for fun" (Repeat for ??? ).

You also were in major deep S**T if you ever put it down and the DI could grab it.

I've always differentiated by the presence of "rifling", but recently learned that even Naval guns have some serious grooves and lands. Either way, the Bard screwed up.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

twelvefootboy wrote: Thu Jun 07, 2018 4:06 pm
Maybe AFRET can verify this, but my 'Nam veteran college buddies told of Basic Training - if you called your rifle a gun, you had to stand (someplace public, can't remember if it was in front of the formation or at sentry?) and repeatedly point at your weapon and your private parts while reciting loudly -

"This is my weapon (point to firearm), and This is my Gun (point at your junk) - One is for business, the other for fun" (Repeat for ??? ).

You also were in major deep S**T if you ever put it down and the DI could grab it.

I've always differentiated by the presence of "rifling", but recently learned that even Naval guns have some serious grooves and lands. Either way, the Bard screwed up.
This is one presentation of it:
Spoiler
Edited to add one more classic:
Spoiler
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

MarkBarrett wrote: Thu Jun 07, 2018 4:17 pm
twelvefootboy wrote: Thu Jun 07, 2018 4:06 pm

This is one presentation of it:
Spoiler
Edited to add one more classic:
Spoiler
Well played, MB. :lol: I wasn't aware it had made pop culture and only knew it from the college buddies whom I could never have enough respect for. I just shut my mouth when they started riffing. I didn't have student deferments or heel spurs, but was just lucky enough to be born late enough to miss the gut wrenching decision of a letter from the draft board. I couldn't remember if it was "rifle" or "weapon".
A drop of golden sun
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by A drop of golden sun »

FOUR MAJOR ERRORS IN JEOPARDY CLUES IN THIS EPISODE

(Depending on your point of view--at least, to me they are major errors, but someone may consider me to be nit-picking)

1. The screen clearly said 1720-1788 (referring to Bonnie Prince Charlie's dates of birth and death) but Alex read the clue "1920-1988." Michelle got it anyway, probably by reading the screen instead of listening to what Alex said.

2. The clue said it was a goof to have an eclipse occur during a new moon instead of during a full moon in some book--WRONG! It was NOT a goof. A solar eclipse (unless otherwise specified, "eclipse" usually means a solar eclipse) can ONLY occur during a new moon. If it were a lunar eclipse, then I think the clue may have been OK, but they didn't say it was a lunar eclipse. "Eclipse" generally implies solar eclipse.

3. Work is NOT force times distance, at least not in any physics class post-middle school. It is the dot product of the force vector and the displacement vector...I know, they wanted to keep it simple for people that have not taken AP Physics or college-level physics, and I figured out they meant Work, even though the clue was technically wrong. When I taught physics, I drilled into my students that Work was NOT Force times Distance, it was Force Dot Displacement. Since some had not yet learned dot product (or claimed they had not learned it, even though they must have learned it because it is taught in HS Geometry, and again in Algebra II, and all were either taking Calculus or Pre-Calc) I had to first introduce the concept of dot product and do practice problems in that.

4. Alex mispronounced "T'Challah" the given name of Black Panther (he pronounced it as if the "T" were silent), revealing that he is the last person on earth that has still not seen Black Panther. Don't the writers go over the pronunciation of every tricky word in every clue with him before each game to make sure he doesn't look stupid??? And while I am on a rant, I have been watching Jeopardy! off and on for over 30 years, and one thing that hasn't changed is that Alex's pronunciation of foreign words, especially in languages other than French, and Germanic languages, is not nearly as good as he likes to think it is. His pronunciation of Spanish words has gotten a little bit better over the years, but considering how much they pay him, every single word of every clue should be pronounced flawlessly. And words from languages of developing countries? Sometimes you have to take a wild guess at what word he is going for. End of rant.
A drop of golden sun
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by A drop of golden sun »

Giannid wrote: Thu Jun 07, 2018 2:07 am Alex mispronounced "Rainha" which should rhyme with "piña" (as in piña colada). Rainha is also so similar to the Spanish for queen, "reina", that I knew the former Spanish teacher would get it correct. Anyone else taken aback by her authentic pronunciation of Hernán Cortéz? :P

I always appreciate it when the players pronounce Spanish words and names properly, although I understand not everyone is able to do so.

I have often wondered if they would accept "¿Quién es Don Quijote?" instead of "Who is Don Quixote?" or something similar, just in case I wanted to be a smart-ass and show off my Spanish proficiency.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

A drop of golden sun wrote: Fri Jun 08, 2018 2:32 am 2. The clue said it was a goof to have an eclipse occur during a new moon instead of during a full moon in some book--WRONG! It was NOT a goof. A solar eclipse (unless otherwise specified, "eclipse" usually means a solar eclipse) can ONLY occur during a new moon. If it were a lunar eclipse, then I think the clue may have been OK, but they didn't say it was a lunar eclipse. "Eclipse" generally implies solar eclipse.
I forgot about that one! I remember thinking at the time that Alex really needed to BMS the contestant. "Eclipse" on its own is not a sufficient response when one kind of eclipse REQUIRES a new moon.

The clue appears to be incorrect in any event. At least in the 1907 edition of King Solomon's Mines available at Project Gutenberg. That edition specifies a lunar eclipse at a full moon which is exactly right.

The Wiki article does however say, "In early editions, this was a solar eclipse; Haggard changed it after realising that his description of a solar eclipse was not realistic." So perhaps the first edition specified the full moon but made the eclipse a solar one. This would be the opposite error to the one alleged by the clue.

EDIT: I found a 1901 edition online. It has a full moon on one night and a solar eclipse the following day. So the clue got the error backwards. It should have said "one of these occurs at a FULL moon rather than a NEW moon" rather than vice versa. And the correct response should have been, "What is a SOLAR eclipse?"
davey

Post by davey »

A drop of golden sun wrote: Fri Jun 08, 2018 2:32 am FOUR MAJOR ERRORS IN JEOPARDY CLUES IN THIS EPISODE

(Depending on your point of view--at least, to me they are major errors, but someone may consider me to be nit-picking)

1. The screen clearly said 1720-1788 (referring to Bonnie Prince Charlie's dates of birth and death) but Alex read the clue "1920-1988." Michelle got it anyway, probably by reading the screen instead of listening to what Alex said.

4. Alex mispronounced "T'Challah" the given name of Black Panther (he pronounced it as if the "T" were silent), revealing that he is the last person on earth that has still not seen Black Panther. Don't the writers go over the pronunciation of every tricky word in every clue with him before each game to make sure he doesn't look stupid??? And while I am on a rant, I have been watching Jeopardy! off and on for over 30 years, and one thing that hasn't changed is that Alex's pronunciation of foreign words, especially in languages other than French, and Germanic languages, is not nearly as good as he likes to think it is. His pronunciation of Spanish words has gotten a little bit better over the years, but considering how much they pay him, every single word of every clue should be pronounced flawlessly. And words from languages of developing countries? Sometimes you have to take a wild guess at what word he is going for. End of rant.
I find Alex's fallibility rather endearing. But then, I have little use for superhero movies. I haven't see Black Panther. I haven't seen Wonder Woman, or any other superhero movie in years. (I started to go through the X-Men movies once, but got pretty bored after 2 or 3. ) They just don't interest me enough. So I wasn't sure how to pronounce T'Challah, but I had no problem getting the clue from reading about the movie.
An acquaintance complained that Alex mangled the Italian in the clue about a playwright last week. With all the TOM in that clue, that was no excuse for a triple stumper...
I do expect rigor from the judges...