Monday, June 11, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Monday, June 11, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

Game Recap for Show #7781, 2018-06-11

CONTESTANTS
Catherine Ono, a software developer from Santa Clara, California
Tracey Lazareth, a teacher and librarian from Mississauga, Ontario, Canada
David Kleinman, a student from Sharon, Massachusetts (whose 1-day cash winnings total $31,600)

OPENING REMARKS
Alex: Thank you, Johnny. Thank you, ladies and gentlemen, and welcome to Jeopardy! as we begin another week. Monday's a great day, isn't it? We're all eager. We're excited, like our champion, David. We oughta do a category about this day. Catherine and Tracey, delighted to have you joining us today. Good luck to all three. Here we go into the Jeopardy! Round, and here come the categories. Starting off with...

JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
AROUND THE U.S.A. (5/5)
TV QUOTES (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
TEDDY BEARS (5/5)
LITERARY SONS & DAUGHTERS (3/5)
THE ITALIAN JOB (3/5)
MONDAY IS FUN DAY (5/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Tracey: 10 R, 0 W
David: 10 R (including 1 DD), 4 W
Catherine: 6 R (including 3 rebounds), 0 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 4
Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $3,200

JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
David found the Daily Double on the 1st clue. David had no money, Tracey was scoreless, and Catherine had nothing in the bank. David wagered $1,000.

TV QUOTES $600: In season 6 of "Game of Thrones", a white raven brings this news, one word different from the show's tagline

SCORES AT THE FIRST BREAK
Tracey: $2,600
Catherine: $2,200
David: $1,800

CONTESTANT INTERVIEWS

Alex: Catherine Ono is a software developer from southern California whose ambition has to do with Shakespeare. What is that?

Catherine: Yes. I want to see at least one live performance of every Shakespeare play.

Alex: Now that's going to be difficult because there are some plays that haven't been performed in ages. You know that?

Catherine: Yes.

Alex: So how are you going to accomplish this quest of yours? Travel the world?

Catherine: Patience and a lot of different theaters.

Alex: Okay. Good for you.

Alex: Tracey Lazareth from Mississauga, Ontario, Canada. I know where that is. Wayne Gretzky bought a fishing boat from your family's store? True or false?

Tracey: Yes, he did. He wanted to buy a fishing boat for his father for Father's Day.

Alex: How nice.

Tracey: And he had actually just been traded to the LA Kings, so he didn't have a checking account in Canada anymore, so he came with a large bag of cash to pay for the fishing boat. Which my sister then had to count out in front of him.

Alex: Did he pay in American or Canadian?

Tracey: It was Canadian dollars, so.

Alex: All right. It should've made her day, also.

Tracey: It did, yes.

Alex: All that money and Wayne Gretzky.

Tracey: Wayne Gretzky.

Alex: Okay, David Kleinman is our champion. He is a student. And on Friday last, a friend of yours in the audience won a door prize, which factored in...what?

David: A close family friend, my nonni--she won the Jeopardy! board game. Or--yes, board game. And, you know, we have all these questions and clues in your cadence, and so we figured, "Hey, what's a better study tool?"

Alex: So you used that to prepare for today.

David: Yes, indeed.

Alex: Ladies, be warned. He's got a bit of an advantage because of that.

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
LITERARY SONS & DAUGHTERS $800: A post-Fleming tale features James Bond's son James, from his hookup with Kissy Suzuki in this Japan-set novel

LITERARY SONS & DAUGHTERS $1000: Rhett & Scarlett name their daughter Eugenie, but her nickname is this, also the name of a Confederate flag

THE ITALIAN JOB $1000: Pittore--Italy has produced many famous ones
(David: What is poet?)

THE ITALIAN JOB $400: Prete

SCORES AT THE END OF THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
Catherine: $4,800
Tracey: $4,400
David: $2,400
Last edited by Archivists on Wed Jan 30, 2019 3:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Monday, June 11, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
INSTANT GRATIFICATION (5/5)
BEST SONG OSCARS (5/5)
NOTABLE AMERICAN WOMEN (4/5, including 1 missed Daily Double)
"C" IT NOW (5/5)
SCIENCE & TECHNOLOGY BOOKS (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
OBLAST FROM THE PAST (3/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Catherine: 12 R (including 2 rebounds and 1 DD), 1 W
David: 9 R (including 1 rebound), 3 W
Tracey: 6 R (including 1 rebound), 1 W (including 1 DD)

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 2
Double Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $2,800

FIRST DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Tracey snagged the next Daily Double on the 13th clue. David had $6,400, Tracey had $8,800, and Catherine was at $11,200. Tracey wagered $2,000.

NOTABLE AMERICAN WOMEN $2000: She coined the term "Lost Generation" for expatriate writers like Ernest Hemingway
(Alex: Tracey?)
(Tracey: Who is... Dorothy Parker?)

SECOND DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
It was Catherine who snatched up the last Daily Double of the game on the 24th clue. David had $7,600, Tracey had $11,600, and Catherine was at $13,200. Catherine wagered $3,000.

SCIENCE & TECHNOLOGY BOOKS $1600: Recalibrating our emotions & restocking our immune systems are 2 good reasons "Why We" do this in a recent title

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND
OBLAST FROM THE PAST $1200: Part of the Sakhalin oblast was acquired from this country in 1947

OBLAST FROM THE PAST $1600: The Kursk oblast is home to the Kursk magnetic anomaly, which over the years has yielded vast amounts of this ore

SCORES ENTERING FINAL JEOPARDY!
Catherine: $17,400
Tracey: $11,600
David: $7,600

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
BRASS INSTRUMENTS

VENUSIAN MONOLOGUES/MARTIAN CHRONICLES
Two-thirds (exactly) for first place.
Catherine: Wager $5,800 for the tie. Tracey has cause to bet either nothing or everything, and you can't afford to lose by $1 to a nothing bet.
Tracey: Normally in this scenario you would wager all or nothing, but in this case a $0 wager isn't an optimal option because it doesn't cover David's doubled score. Wager all $11,600.
David: You do have some slim hope of taking 1st place, and it's most likely to happen in the event that you're the only one to respond correctly to Final. Wager between $4,001 and $7,599.

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
In playing this instrument whose early version was called a sackbut, it's about 6" from A to B, about 7" from C to D

FINAL SCORES
David: $7,600 + $7,598 = $15,198 (What is a trombone?) (2nd place: $2,000)
Tracey: $11,600 + $0 = $11,600 (What is a trombone?) (3rd place: $1,000)
Catherine: $17,400 + $5,801 = $23,201 (What is a trombone?) (New champion: $23,201)

Total Potential Lach Trash: $6,000

GAME DYNAMICS

CORYAT SCORES
Catherine: $16,000, 18 R (including 1 DD), 1 W
Tracey: $13,600, 16 R, 1 W (including 1 DD)
David: $7,200, 19 R (including 1 DD), 7 W
Combined Coryat: $36,800

BATTING AVERAGES
David: 20/59 = .339
Catherine: 19/59 = .322
Tracey: 17/59 = .288
Team: 56/63 = .889

MISCELLANEOUS INTERESTING CLUES
MONDAY IS FUN DAY $600: This familial pop group hit No. 1 in 1966 with "Monday, Monday"

MONDAY IS FUN DAY $1000: In the Eastern Orthodox church, Mondays are days on which these beings are celebrated
(David: What are saints?)

AROUND THE U.S.A. $600: You can look over the Rio Grande while relaxing in Ralph Edwards Park in Truth or Consequences in this state
(David: What is Texas?)

TEDDY BEARS $200: Duffy the Disney bear is big in Japan; he even has the outline of this character on his face
(Alex: Less than a minute now.)

AROUND THE U.S.A. $1000: The only national park entirely within Wyoming is this one just south of Yellowstone
(David: What is Yosemite?)

"C" IT NOW $1200: Get out the blowtorch--it's time to make this custard dessert

"C" IT NOW $2000: It's the typical sailors' & pirates' weapon seen here

INSTANT GRATIFICATION $1600: This brand of modified pressure cooker combines several kitchen appliances in one

INSTANT GRATIFICATION $2000: The main action of an Ambrose Bierce short story takes place in the instant of a hanging on this bridge
(Alex: "An Occurrence at [*]".)

INSTANT GRATIFICATION $400: Around 1910 an immigrant named George Washington marketed the USA's first successful instant type of this hot drink
(David: What is tea?)

BEST SONG OSCARS $1200: The 1939 Oscar went to this song with music by Harold Arlen
(David: What is "Singin' In The Rain"?)

SCIENCE & TECHNOLOGY BOOKS $2000: Pick a home or when to marry with these series of steps "to Live By: The Computer Science of Human Decisions"
(David: What is a program?)

OBLAST FROM THE PAST $400: St. Petersburg is in this oblast, or Russian province, that didn't seem to get the name-change memo
(Alex: Less than a minute now.)

OBLAST FROM THE PAST $2000: The Potsdam Agreement gave Russia the Kaliningrad oblast bordered by Lithuania & this country
(Catherine: What is Finland?)

CORRECT RESPONSES
"Winter is here"
You Only Live Twice
Bonnie Blue
painter
a priest
Gertrude Stein
sleep
Japan
iron ore
a trombone
The Mamas & the Papas
angels
New Mexico
Mickey Mouse
Grand Teton
creme brulee
a cutlass
an Instant Pot
Owl Creek Bridge
coffee
"Somewhere Over The Rainbow"
algorithms
Leningrad
Poland
Last edited by Archivists on Wed Jan 30, 2019 3:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by theFJguy »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
BRASS INSTRUMENTS

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
In playing this instrument whose early version was called a sackbut, it’s about 6″ from A to B, about 7″ from C to D

David: 7600+7598=15198
Tracey Lazareth: 11600+0=11600
Catherine Ono: 17400+5801=23201 (New Champ)

Correct response:
Spoiler
trombone

Daily Doubles
David: 0+1000
Tracey: 8800-2000
Catherine: 13200+3000

Coryats
David: 7200
Tracey: 13600
Catherine: 16000

Combined: 36,800

Scores at the end of the Jeopardy! Round
David: 2400
Tracey: 4400
Catherine: 4800
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

I wonder if Tracey got an early water break after clue 13 as her voice was going and the edit was a little rough going into the selection for clue 14.

The FJ! clue was an instaget since I played that thing in 7th grade and I knew the early version name. I don’t know about the measurements from note to note; all I know is reaching 7th position was tough for my not long arm.

Hope Tracey got good deals on her travel arrangements as she gifted David an extra $1000 that he could have spared.

Programming Note: Fox on Thursday (and Friday) will be televising not only the U.S. Open (that’s golf), but also the World Cup (that’s soccer, I mean football). Most of the soccer games on regular Fox look like they will be morning with a lot of the games on Fox Sports 1. Friday’s Portugal vs. Spain at 2:00ET may be a slot that affects J! airing in some markets.
AndyTheQuizzer
Lots and Lots of Interviews

Post by AndyTheQuizzer »

MarkBarrett wrote: Mon Jun 11, 2018 5:38 pm Hope Tracey got good deals on her travel arrangements as she gifted David an extra $1000 that he could have spared.
Tempted to disagree with this because Stratton's Dilemma and the fact that it was an exact two-thirds game.
Andy Saunders
J! Archive Founding Archivist
Publisher - The Jeopardy! Fan
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

OntarioQuizzer wrote: Mon Jun 11, 2018 5:44 pm
MarkBarrett wrote: Mon Jun 11, 2018 5:38 pm Hope Tracey got good deals on her travel arrangements as she gifted David an extra $1000 that he could have spared.
Tempted to disagree with this because Stratton's Dilemma and the fact that it was an exact two-thirds game.
That's fine and I see your point. To me BRASS INSTRUMENTS seems narrow with a limited amount of choices and coupled with the DD standard bet of 2000 that did not even get her the lead I'm sensing more chicken than strategy in play.

And even if Tracey did go for zero with the hope of winning 11600 to 11599 that still does not account for David (the returning champ with money already in the bank) betting big.

Perhaps Tracey will check in on Reddit and we'll get the answer.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

My DVR had a weird glitch. I turned on WNEM and for some reason, even though it said it was recording, it wouldn't let me rewind to the beginning of the show. Nor would it let me access the episode from the Episodes folder. Then it DID Show up in the Episodes folder... claiming to be J!, but actually being 15 minutes of the placeholder channel one number off from WNEM.

Italian Job had "0/5 for TPH" written all over it. "Cuoco" didn't look or sound like anything to me. Really, the whole board was outside my grasp for the most part.

Couldn't think of anything for FJ! Six inches seemed too far apart for a trombone, and didn't seem right for a tuba either. I pondered if maybe an early saxophone was that big. I was still trying to grind this one out when the music ended, leaving me with nothing. HOW WAS THIS A TRIPLE GET?!?
Vowela

Post by Vowela »

MarkBarrett wrote: Mon Jun 11, 2018 6:12 pmThat's fine and I see your point. To me BRASS INSTRUMENTS seems narrow with a limited amount of choices and coupled with the DD standard bet of 2000 that did not even get her the lead I'm sensing more chicken than strategy in play.
In fairness, the category name doesn't necessarily mean that the answer will be the name of a brass instrument.
TenPoundHammer wrote: Mon Jun 11, 2018 7:37 pm Couldn't think of anything for FJ! Six inches seemed too far apart for a trombone, and didn't seem right for a tuba either. I pondered if maybe an early saxophone was that big. I was still trying to grind this one out when the music ended, leaving me with nothing. HOW WAS THIS A TRIPLE GET?!?
If saxophone was your best guess, it would've been better than guessing nothing at all.
booboo9921
Valued Contributor

Post by booboo9921 »

MarkBarrett wrote: Mon Jun 11, 2018 5:38 pm I wonder if Tracey got an early water break after clue 13 as her voice was going and the edit was a little rough going into the selection for clue 14.

The FJ! clue was an instaget since I played that thing in 7th grade and I knew the early version name. I don’t know about the measurements from note to note; all I know is reaching 7th position was tough for my not long arm.
same here, on all counts, meaning i played it all through school, and reaching 7th position was tough for my arm.
booboo9921
Valued Contributor

Post by booboo9921 »

and also, I have to ask, were you any good at the trombone Mark?
hscer

Post by hscer »

I was gonna say something like, "I wonder what thought process would lead to a wrong answer on this final, assuming anyone got it wrong," but...yeah.
Now Completed: TD 224 - Airplane!
Coming Eventually: hscer's 3rd TD

Twitter: http://twitter.com/hscer
Sporcle: http://www.sporcle.com/user/hscer
mxc_takeshi

Post by mxc_takeshi »

34 right.

Around the U.S.A. (4), TV Quotes (3), Teddy Bears (5), Literary Sons & Daughters (2), Italian Job (0), Monday Is Fun Day (4)
Instant Gratification (1), Best Song Oscars (2), Notable American Women (5), "C" It Now (1), Science & Tech Books (3), Oblast (4)

Lach Trash: You Only Live Twice, Japan; Daily Double: Gertrude Stein

My uneducated guess was the trumpet.
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

trash: Bonnie Blue, painter, Japan, iron.
FJ!: also thought 6 inches was a bit much for trombone, but WECIB :)
Spaceman Spiff
One-and-done J! Champ (and proud of it!)

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Crazy thing is I precalled "sackbut" -- not because I realistically expected it, but it's fun to say.

When it showed up in the clue, Mrs. Spiff basically said "WTF?!?!?! How did you know that was going to be there?!?!?"

:P
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Wasn't there a LL question about the sackbut recently?
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

good to see sakhalin was in a clue...i lived there for almost a year, so being able to come up with it was pretty easy
tlazareth
Just Starting Out on JBoard

Post by tlazareth »

MarkBarrett wrote: Mon Jun 11, 2018 6:12 pm
That's fine and I see your point. To me BRASS INSTRUMENTS seems narrow with a limited amount of choices and coupled with the DD standard bet of 2000 that did not even get her the lead I'm sensing more chicken than strategy in play.

And even if Tracey did go for zero with the hope of winning 11600 to 11599 that still does not account for David (the returning champ with money already in the bank) betting big.

Hi J-Boarders. This is my first time posting (long time lurker), but I felt compelled to defend my honour (such as it is)! Here is how it went. In the few minutes that I had to come up with my wager, I actually tried to run through all possible scenarios in my mind (while attempting to do the math and not become distracted by Alex taking questions from the audience). Given the category, I figured that it would either be something obvious that we would all get right (in which case, if Catherine bet in the usual way, she would beat me by $1, even if I doubled my money) or it would be something obscure that we would all get wrong (in which case, I could win by $1 if I bet nothing). I really couldn't envision a situation where David and I would get it right and Catherine would not, given her broad range of knowledge and excellent game play to that point. While standing at the podium, pen poised to write down my wager, I flip-flopped about ten times, but I ultimately decided not to play for second place, but to take a chance and go for first. It didn't work out as planned, but I did actually have a strategy!
Tracey
Ironhorse
Second Banana

Post by Ironhorse »

For some reason I mistakenly associated the sackbut with the tuba.
squarekara
J! Reactionary

Post by squarekara »

tlazareth wrote: Mon Jun 11, 2018 9:45 pm Hi J-Boarders. This is my first time posting (long time lurker), but I felt compelled to defend my honour (such as it is)! Here is how it went. In the few minutes that I had to come up with my wager, I actually tried to run through all possible scenarios in my mind (while attempting to do the math and not become distracted by Alex taking questions from the audience).
Don't forget to add Glenn drumming his fingers on your lectern! ;)

Congrats on your game, Tracey. You played beautifully.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

tlazareth wrote: Mon Jun 11, 2018 9:45 pm
MarkBarrett wrote: Mon Jun 11, 2018 6:12 pm

Hi J-Boarders. This is my first time posting (long time lurker), but I felt compelled to defend my honour (such as it is)! Here is how it went. In the few minutes that I had to come up with my wager, I actually tried to run through all possible scenarios in my mind (while attempting to do the math and not become distracted by Alex taking questions from the audience). Given the category, I figured that it would either be something obvious that we would all get right (in which case, if Catherine bet in the usual way, she would beat me by $1, even if I doubled my money) or it would be something obscure that we would all get wrong (in which case, I could win by $1 if I bet nothing). I really couldn't envision a situation where David and I would get it right and Catherine would not, given her broad range of knowledge and excellent game play to that point. While standing at the podium, pen poised to write down my wager, I flip-flopped about ten times, but I ultimately decided not to play for second place, but to take a chance and go for first. It didn't work out as planned, but I did actually have a strategy!
Tracey
Welcome Tracey and you have defended your honour perfectly. I apologize for painting the wrong picture about your wager and that is great news you had a strategy in place while considering options. Your plan of playing for a triple miss is 100% reasonable and in many cases it would have worked out. Your 13600 Coryat shows you played well.