Monday, June 11, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, dhkendall, trainman, econgator

Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Re: Monday, June 11, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Volante » Mon Jun 11, 2018 10:37 pm

MarkBarrett wrote:
Mon Jun 11, 2018 5:38 pm
Programming Note: Fox on Thursday (and Friday) will be televising not only the U.S. Open (that’s golf), but also the World Cup (that’s soccer, I mean football). Most of the soccer games on regular Fox look like they will be morning with a lot of the games on Fox Sports 1. Friday’s Portugal vs. Spain at 2:00ET may be a slot that affects J! airing in some markets.
Grumble. And during the second commercial break, ABC7 interrupted with breaking speculation...SPECULATION! Not even NEWS!!...on the Trump/Kim talks, and George Stephanopoulos breathlessly (I swear I am not kidding) describing the first handshake between sitting heads of state of NK and US.

Made me miss the first 12 DJ! clues flat out (plus 2 categories) and the position of the DD at 13.

Oh but I am SO glad we got to hear three, four anchors guess like Blinkin about what's happening in Singapore.

Jackasses.

Insta-WECIB-final.

BigDaddyMatty
Save Me, Maggie!

Post by BigDaddyMatty » Mon Jun 11, 2018 11:05 pm

Coryat: 35,200
48 R/3 W
DD: 2/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: painter, iron ore
econgator wrote:
Mon Jun 11, 2018 9:08 pm
Wasn't there a LL question about the sackbut recently?
I think you're thinking of HQ. It has come up there and on (at least) one other trivia app. That made FJ! a snap for me.

I probably could have come up with Gertrude Stein's name if I weren't trying to do three things at once. OTOH, I was happy to win the "winter is here"/"spring is coming" coin flip.

NHO "Bonnie Blue" before it was mentioned on an early episode of Trivial Warfare that I listened to this weekend. I couldn't connect the dots on today's clue, though.
Sprinkles are for winners.

Golf
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by Golf » Mon Jun 11, 2018 11:06 pm

tlazareth wrote:
Mon Jun 11, 2018 9:45 pm
Hi J-Boarders. This is my first time posting (long time lurker), but I felt compelled to defend my honour (such as it is)! Here is how it went. In the few minutes that I had to come up with my wager, I actually tried to run through all possible scenarios in my mind (while attempting to do the math and not become distracted by Alex taking questions from the audience). Given the category, I figured that it would either be something obvious that we would all get right (in which case, if Catherine bet in the usual way, she would beat me by $1, even if I doubled my money) or it would be something obscure that we would all get wrong (in which case, I could win by $1 if I bet nothing). I really couldn't envision a situation where David and I would get it right and Catherine would not, given her broad range of knowledge and excellent game play to that point. While standing at the podium, pen poised to write down my wager, I flip-flopped about ten times, but I ultimately decided not to play for second place, but to take a chance and go for first. It didn't work out as planned, but I did actually have a strategy!
Tracey
Many times it takes more guts to wager zero than wagering everything. You played to win although wagering novices won't ever see that. It was a game theory optimal wager.

seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium » Mon Jun 11, 2018 11:12 pm

TenPoundHammer wrote:
Mon Jun 11, 2018 7:37 pm
Couldn't think of anything for FJ! Six inches seemed too far apart for a trombone, and didn't seem right for a tuba either. I pondered if maybe an early saxophone was that big. I was still trying to grind this one out when the music ended, leaving me with nothing. HOW WAS THIS A TRIPLE GET?!?
If one's thinking is "adjacent notes = adjacent fingers," then one might realize that six and seven inches are too far for that, and therefore the instrument in question is not played via fingering. Non-fingered brass instrument really leaves just one choice. I thought you'd have this either with musical knowledge, or with "sackbut" having tripped your Smoot-Hawley alarm.

MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett » Mon Jun 11, 2018 11:13 pm

Volante wrote:
Mon Jun 11, 2018 10:37 pm
MarkBarrett wrote:
Mon Jun 11, 2018 5:38 pm
Programming Note: Fox on Thursday (and Friday) will be televising not only the U.S. Open (that’s golf), but also the World Cup (that’s soccer, I mean football). Most of the soccer games on regular Fox look like they will be morning with a lot of the games on Fox Sports 1. Friday’s Portugal vs. Spain at 2:00ET may be a slot that affects J! airing in some markets.
Grumble. And during the second commercial break, ABC7 interrupted with breaking speculation...SPECULATION! Not even NEWS!!...on the Trump/Kim talks, and George Stephanopoulos breathlessly (I swear I am not kidding) describing the first handshake between sitting heads of state of NK and US.

Made me miss the first 12 DJ! clues flat out (plus 2 categories) and the position of the DD at 13.

Oh but I am SO glad we got to hear three, four anchors guess like Blinkin about what's happening in Singapore.

Jackasses.

Insta-WECIB-final.
After ABC broke in I checked the other channels and all had regular programming going. It's always ABC that thinks they have to be heroes and break in for no good reason. The Archive has the game filled in so you can see what you missed.

booboo9921: I did not enjoy the year of playing the trombone and did enough to pass the few solo playing tests the teacher inflicted. Bringing that thing home along with my books was a hassle and even then it's not like I would practice a lot. No one would say I was good at it, but I could hit the notes and make it through a song. Once June came around I was done and I've never touched a trombone since.

TenPoundHammer
Oahu? Wahoo!

Post by TenPoundHammer » Mon Jun 11, 2018 11:25 pm

seaborgium wrote:
Mon Jun 11, 2018 11:12 pm
TenPoundHammer wrote:
Couldn't think of anything for FJ! Six inches seemed too far apart for a trombone, and didn't seem right for a tuba either. I pondered if maybe an early saxophone was that big. I was still trying to grind this one out when the music ended, leaving me with nothing. HOW WAS THIS A TRIPLE GET?!?
If one's thinking is "adjacent notes = adjacent fingers," then one might realize that six and seven inches are too far for that, and therefore the instrument in question is not played via fingering. Non-fingered brass instrument really leaves just one choice. I thought you'd have this either with musical knowledge, or with "sackbut" having tripped your Smoot-Hawley alarm.
True, but I don't play brass instruments and if I've seen "sackbut", then it didn't trip my filter.
Ten Pound Hammer

This space for rent

Volante

Post by Volante » Mon Jun 11, 2018 11:44 pm

MarkBarrett wrote:
Mon Jun 11, 2018 11:13 pm
After ABC broke in I checked the other channels and all had regular programming going. It's always ABC that thinks they have to be heroes and break in for no good reason. The Archive has the game filled in so you can see what you missed.
*salute*

LucarioSnooperVixey
No Life

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey » Mon Jun 11, 2018 11:53 pm

47 R
DD: 2/3 (Gertrude Stein, Sleep)
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: Painter, (Gertrude Stein), Japan, Iron
Known in the real world as Douglas Squasoni.

teapot37

Post by teapot37 » Tue Jun 12, 2018 12:06 am

TenPoundHammer wrote:
Mon Jun 11, 2018 11:25 pm
seaborgium wrote:
TenPoundHammer wrote:
True, but I don't play brass instruments and if I've seen "sackbut", then it didn't trip my filter.
Also, the saxophone isn't considered a brass instrument - it's a woodwind.
Not many people can say they've lost four times on Jeopardy!.

Lefty

Post by Lefty » Tue Jun 12, 2018 1:59 am

MarkBarrett wrote:

booboo9921: I did not enjoy the year of playing the trombone and did enough to pass the few solo playing tests the teacher inflicted. Bringing that thing home along with my books was a hassle and even then it's not like I would practice a lot. No one would say I was good at it, but I could hit the notes and make it through a song. Once June came around I was done and I've never touched a trombone since.
I wonder if ABC actually thinks that if you like Jeopardy, you'll love the Trump-Kim talks. My "favorite" Jeopardy preemption from years past was for the NJ Devils' victory parade down or up the Jersey turnpike.

As for the trombone, you're my brother in suffering, but I suffered more and longer, with the baritone (horn), which shared sectional practice with the trombones.

As unmusical as I have always been, it was somehow the "thing to do" at the school I was at, and I did it for four years. When I think of its price--$585 in 1975, I weep for my parents' forgiveness. I also had to lug the thing, which weighed half as much as I, to and from school several times a week, and the kufginc BARITONE for Christ's sake; an instrument with no possible future except in more school bands, when I can remember watching the Rose Bowl halftime show and being told what a tremendous honor to be the tuba player who got to dot the "i" in Ohio State, and thinking even then, how incredibly dorky--and yet, he was the magical chosen one from among thousands of aspirants. It did become less of a hardship as years went on, though, as we took to leaving our instruments at school overnight, and later even over summer vacation.
I'm smart and I want respect.

opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin » Tue Jun 12, 2018 7:24 am

TenPoundHammer wrote:
Mon Jun 11, 2018 11:25 pm
seaborgium wrote:
Another one that might trip your filter is "hautboy" pronounced hoe-boy or oh-boy. That's an archaic term for the oboe. (I'll spare you my utterly subjective impression that the two words sound similar.) If we ever have an FJ category called WOODWINDS, that's my prediction, so keep it in mind.

Volante

Post by Volante » Tue Jun 12, 2018 9:01 am

Lefty wrote:
Tue Jun 12, 2018 1:59 am
MarkBarrett wrote:

I wonder if ABC actually thinks that if you like Jeopardy, you'll love the Trump-Kim talks. My "favorite" Jeopardy preemption from years past was for the NJ Devils' victory parade down or up the Jersey turnpike.
That's the really frustrating part. They broke in to cover the handshake and speculate. Literally nothing of remote consequence had otherwise happened!

IronNeck

Post by IronNeck » Tue Jun 12, 2018 9:12 am

Was I the only one thrown off the You Only Live Twice Triple Stumper by the awful wording on the question? I thought they were asking for the post-Fleming Bond spin-off, not the original Fleming Bond that inspired it. David shot himself in the foot with countless negs, many of them wild guesses. He seemed overexcited up there, even though it was his second game.

Catherine looks like a solid champion.
tlazareth wrote:
Mon Jun 11, 2018 9:45 pm
Hi J-Boarders. This is my first time posting (long time lurker), but I felt compelled to defend my honour (such as it is)! Here is how it went. In the few minutes that I had to come up with my wager, I actually tried to run through all possible scenarios in my mind (while attempting to do the math and not become distracted by Alex taking questions from the audience).
Out of curiosity, why did you wait until right before FJ, with your adrenaline high and blood pumping, to consider these scenarios? Why didn't you run through all these potential scenarios (of which there aren't that many) weeks or months before you were on your show, in the comforts of your own home?
tlazareth wrote:Given the category, I figured that it would either be something obvious that we would all get right (in which case, if Catherine bet in the usual way, she would beat me by $1, even if I doubled my money) or it would be something obscure that we would all get wrong (in which case, I could win by $1 if I bet nothing). I really couldn't envision a situation where David and I would get it right and Catherine would not, given her broad range of knowledge and excellent game play to that point. While standing at the podium, pen poised to write down my wager, I flip-flopped about ten times, but I ultimately decided not to play for second place, but to take a chance and go for first. It didn't work out as planned, but I did actually have a strategy!
Tracey
For spur-of-the-moment reasoning, it's not bad, but of course, the actual correct decision should be derived from quantitative analysis taking into account prize money, confidence in the category, chances leader will get it right, maybe conditional probabilities, etc. Under certain assumptions, your play is okay, and under others, it's sub-optimal.

I will say that your assumption about Catherine knowing everything that you and David would doesn't make much sense. Maybe if she was a 10-day champion locking game after game, not when she has a nice debut game with a small Coryat lead over 2nd place.

OntarioQuizzer
Lots and Lots of Interviews

Post by OntarioQuizzer » Tue Jun 12, 2018 9:31 am

IronNeck wrote:
Tue Jun 12, 2018 9:12 am
For spur-of-the-moment reasoning, it's not bad, but of course, the actual correct decision should be derived from quantitative analysis taking into account prize money, confidence in the category, chances leader will get it right, maybe conditional probabilities, etc. Under certain assumptions, your play is okay, and under others, it's sub-optimal.
I agree with Golf.
Andy Saunders
Moderator, #JeopardyLivePanel
Host, Complete The List
J! Archive Founding Archivist
Site Admin - The Jeopardy! Fan

alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr » Tue Jun 12, 2018 9:45 am

You were look really solid up there, Tracey, and then Catherine just ran the table.

squarekara
LEGO my Ego

Post by squarekara » Tue Jun 12, 2018 10:53 am

IronNeck wrote:
Out of curiosity, why did you wait until right before FJ, with your adrenaline high and blood pumping, to consider these scenarios? Why didn't you run through all these potential scenarios (of which there aren't that many) weeks or months before you were on your show, in the comforts of your own home?

I will say that your assumption about Catherine knowing everything that you and David would doesn't make much sense. Maybe if she was a 10-day champion locking game after game, not when she has a nice debut game with a small Coryat lead over 2nd place.

Wpwells

Post by Wpwells » Tue Jun 12, 2018 10:57 am

Easy FJ! Didn't even need the TOM because In knew sackbut. 1/1

OntarioQuizzer
Lots and Lots of Interviews

Post by OntarioQuizzer » Tue Jun 12, 2018 11:03 am

squarekara wrote:
Tue Jun 12, 2018 10:53 am
IronNeck wrote:

Round of applause.
Andy Saunders
Moderator, #JeopardyLivePanel
Host, Complete The List
J! Archive Founding Archivist
Site Admin - The Jeopardy! Fan

twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy » Tue Jun 12, 2018 12:12 pm

Lefty wrote:
Tue Jun 12, 2018 1:59 am
MarkBarrett wrote:

As for the trombone, you're my brother in suffering, but I suffered more and longer, with the baritone (horn), which shared sectional practice with the trombones.

As unmusical as I have always been, it was somehow the "thing to do" at the school I was at, and I did it for four years. When I think of its price--$585 in 1975, I weep for my parents' forgiveness. I also had to lug the thing, which weighed half as much as I, to and from school several times a week, and the kufginc BARITONE for Christ's sake; an instrument with no possible future except in more school bands, when I can remember watching the Rose Bowl halftime show and being told what a tremendous honor to be the tuba player who got to dot the "i" in Ohio State, and thinking even then, how incredibly dorky--and yet, he was the magical chosen one from among thousands of aspirants. It did become less of a hardship as years went on, though, as we took to leaving our instruments at school overnight, and later even over summer vacation.
You victims of the Establishment Music Industrial Complex have my sympathy. I occasionally vent about the waste of resources to propagate the genre of band and orchestral music that results in instruments underneath the bed after high school graduation that are never touched again. The same class time could be used to teach strings/keyboard/drums in all kinds of ensembles of small groups, preferably with no nasty sight reading of notes and counting time in sixteenths.

IMHO, Two hundred year old music needs to join 200 year old science and ancient languages as an archive topic for occasionally mining of truth or value. This is the end of my rant for another several months - even if you didn't mean to confirm my bias, my filter won't let you change my mind!! :lol: This is the internet, after all (the series of tubes and pipes as explained by Ted Stevens). :lol:
- All science is either physics or stamp collecting. - Ernest Rutherford (Winner of Nobel price in CHEMISTRY)-
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.

This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! » Tue Jun 12, 2018 12:24 pm

I botched this FJ horribly. My thought process was that it must be a large instrument, so I put down bassoon which is not even a brass instrument. Trombone was exceptionally obvious in hindsight.