Tuesday, June 12, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, dhkendall, trainman, econgator

User avatar
LucarioSnooperVixey
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 312
Joined: Sun Jan 15, 2017 8:41 pm
Location: New Jersey

Re: Tuesday, June 12, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey » Tue Jun 12, 2018 11:56 pm

43 R
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: Maisie, (Embargo Act), Strudel, Rhine, (Now is the Winter of Our Discontent), Vice-President, Richard Strauss
Known in the real world as Douglas Squasoni.

IronNeck
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 1270
Joined: Fri May 13, 2016 12:26 am

Re: Tuesday, June 12, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by IronNeck » Wed Jun 13, 2018 12:48 am

Another solid victory by Catherine, complete with the correct all-in Daily Double bet. I like her calm, professional approach, and it shows in the results.

Literature is one of my strongest areas, while children's lit is not. This was still an instaget, though.

User avatar
BigDaddyMatty
Save Me, Maggie!
Posts: 2651
Joined: Wed Jan 21, 2015 11:05 am
Location: Rowlett, Texas

Re: Tuesday, June 12, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by BigDaddyMatty » Wed Jun 13, 2018 2:56 am

Coryat: 22,200
38 R/4 W
DD: 3/3
FJ: :(
LT: Embargo Act (DD), strudels, Now is the winter of our discontent (DD), vice president, Richard Strauss

This is very much a day when I am glad to have not been on the stage. Charlotte's Web is a favorite of mine, but I assumed it to have been set somewhere in the Midwest. I went with Anne of Green Gables even though a) I was pretty sure it was set in Canada and b) I'm not sure where the barn part of the clue would have fit in.
twelvefootboy wrote:
Tue Jun 12, 2018 11:36 pm
econgator wrote:
Tue Jun 12, 2018 9:06 pm
Wasn't Singing in the Rain negged once? Sounded like what she said. I'd check the Archive, but it keeps erroring on me.
I'm ashamed to post a possible explanation without replaying and looking up the exact clue, but IIRC, I was prepared for them just to take an answer of "Singing" based on the clue. I don't think it was pinned to the movie title proper and I might have answered just "singing" and take the chance for a BMS.
It was pinned to the title: "After kissing Debbie Reynolds goodnight, Gene Kelly is elated and begins doing this, the film's title"

You don't win on J! by playing cautiously. Jason had a great opportunity to take control of the game by hitting both DJ! DDs more or less back-to-back, but even if he had converted them both, his timid wagers would have had him several thousand dollars out of the lead going into FJ! I know it's an easy thing to say from the comfort of home, but fortune favors the bold.
Last edited by BigDaddyMatty on Thu Jun 14, 2018 3:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sprinkles are for winners.

davey
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 2933
Joined: Thu Jan 12, 2012 10:55 pm

Re: Tuesday, June 12, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by davey » Wed Jun 13, 2018 3:36 am

Charlotte's Web is always my precall when Children's Literature comes around. And I finally saw the movie recently after Debbie Reynolds (Charlotte) died. (Highlight: Paul Lynde as the rat...) Also E.B. White lived on a farm in Maine. (The one in the clue, natch!) So this was the most insta clue in a long time for me...
http://www.latimes.com/business/realest ... story.html

User avatar
mennoknight
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 522
Joined: Tue Jul 19, 2011 10:10 am
Location: Ottawa, ON

Re: Tuesday, June 12, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by mennoknight » Wed Jun 13, 2018 7:10 am

Thanks to John Hodgman talking about a famous author who lives near his house in Maine, not naming him, but leaving enough clues to figure it out, and me figuring out those clues-slam dunk FJ. SOME CLUE.
I eat chicken. That's what I do.

User avatar
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard
Posts: 5982
Joined: Thu Aug 11, 2011 2:33 pm
Location: Shawnee, KS
Contact:

Re: Tuesday, June 12, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by opusthepenguin » Wed Jun 13, 2018 10:29 am

This Is Kirk! wrote:
Tue Jun 12, 2018 11:31 pm
Linear Gnome wrote:
Tue Jun 12, 2018 11:09 pm
Worst error today was "This is the winter of our discontent". Oy.
Same here. I knew it didn't sound right...
The quote is "Now is the winter of our discontent," which is what Alex said. The error was Jason's response of "Winter?" (Not in the form of a question, not seven words). Jason presumably mis-parsed the clue as "7-LETTER" and guessed "winter" in desperation, hoping he'd miscounted the letters and knowing that any response is better than no response.

It would be interesting to hear Jason's thoughts on the subject. But perhaps we need to work more toward being the sort of group where contestants feel safe sharing those thoughts. I'm in favor of pinning a short Guidelines for Conduct to our front page and culling the few who are unwilling to abide by them.

User avatar
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion
Posts: 4076
Joined: Mon Dec 17, 2012 1:35 am
Location: Seattle

Re: Tuesday, June 12, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by This Is Kirk! » Wed Jun 13, 2018 10:37 am

opusthepenguin wrote:
Wed Jun 13, 2018 10:29 am
This Is Kirk! wrote:
Tue Jun 12, 2018 11:31 pm
Linear Gnome wrote:
Tue Jun 12, 2018 11:09 pm
Worst error today was "This is the winter of our discontent". Oy.
Same here. I knew it didn't sound right...
The quote is "Now is the winter of our discontent," which is what Alex said. The error was Jason's response of "Winter?" (Not in the form of a question, not seven words). Jason presumably mis-parsed the clue as "7-LETTER" and guessed "winter" in desperation, hoping he'd miscounted the letters and knowing that any response is better than no response.
I read Linear Gnome's post as her biffing the clue, so that's what I was responding to.

User avatar
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard
Posts: 5982
Joined: Thu Aug 11, 2011 2:33 pm
Location: Shawnee, KS
Contact:

Re: Tuesday, June 12, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by opusthepenguin » Wed Jun 13, 2018 10:43 am

This Is Kirk! wrote:
Wed Jun 13, 2018 10:37 am
opusthepenguin wrote:
Wed Jun 13, 2018 10:29 am
This Is Kirk! wrote:
Tue Jun 12, 2018 11:31 pm
Linear Gnome wrote:
Tue Jun 12, 2018 11:09 pm
Worst error today was "This is the winter of our discontent". Oy.
Same here. I knew it didn't sound right...
The quote is "Now is the winter of our discontent," which is what Alex said. The error was Jason's response of "Winter?" (Not in the form of a question, not seven words). Jason presumably mis-parsed the clue as "7-LETTER" and guessed "winter" in desperation, hoping he'd miscounted the letters and knowing that any response is better than no response.
I read Linear Gnome's post as her biffing the clue, so that's what I was responding to.
Aha! I think you're right. And even if that's a mis-reading of LG, I now understand your post.

John Boy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 2095
Joined: Fri Jul 15, 2011 7:11 am

Re: Tuesday, June 12, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by John Boy » Wed Jun 13, 2018 11:47 am

Volante wrote:
Tue Jun 12, 2018 10:40 pm
Black Beauty here. With the clue as written, I can't imagine me ever getting to Charlotte's Web.
Thank you. Kiddy Lit is not a strong category for me and I know nothing about Charlotte's Web. I also said Black Beauty.

User avatar
Linear Gnome
One Miner Gal
Posts: 1571
Joined: Thu Nov 15, 2012 9:55 am
Location: Rolla, MO

Re: Tuesday, June 12, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Linear Gnome » Wed Jun 13, 2018 11:49 am

opusthepenguin wrote:
Wed Jun 13, 2018 10:43 am
This Is Kirk! wrote:
Wed Jun 13, 2018 10:37 am
opusthepenguin wrote:
Wed Jun 13, 2018 10:29 am
This Is Kirk! wrote:
Tue Jun 12, 2018 11:31 pm
Linear Gnome wrote:
Tue Jun 12, 2018 11:09 pm
Worst error today was "This is the winter of our discontent". Oy.
Same here. I knew it didn't sound right...
The quote is "Now is the winter of our discontent," which is what Alex said. The error was Jason's response of "Winter?" (Not in the form of a question, not seven words). Jason presumably mis-parsed the clue as "7-LETTER" and guessed "winter" in desperation, hoping he'd miscounted the letters and knowing that any response is better than no response.
I read Linear Gnome's post as her biffing the clue, so that's what I was responding to.
Aha! I think you're right. And even if that's a mis-reading of LG, I now understand your post.
I could have averted some confusion by saying "My worst error...". Kirk parsed my post correctly.

User avatar
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard
Posts: 5982
Joined: Thu Aug 11, 2011 2:33 pm
Location: Shawnee, KS
Contact:

Re: Tuesday, June 12, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by opusthepenguin » Wed Jun 13, 2018 12:14 pm

Linear Gnome wrote:
Wed Jun 13, 2018 11:49 am
opusthepenguin wrote:
Wed Jun 13, 2018 10:43 am
This Is Kirk! wrote:
Wed Jun 13, 2018 10:37 am
opusthepenguin wrote:
Wed Jun 13, 2018 10:29 am
This Is Kirk! wrote:
Tue Jun 12, 2018 11:31 pm


Same here. I knew it didn't sound right...
The quote is "Now is the winter of our discontent," which is what Alex said. The error was Jason's response of "Winter?" (Not in the form of a question, not seven words). Jason presumably mis-parsed the clue as "7-LETTER" and guessed "winter" in desperation, hoping he'd miscounted the letters and knowing that any response is better than no response.
I read Linear Gnome's post as her biffing the clue, so that's what I was responding to.
Aha! I think you're right. And even if that's a mis-reading of LG, I now understand your post.
I could have averted some confusion by saying "My worst error...". Kirk parsed my post correctly.
Which makes him the winner in a first parsed the post system.

#ObscureElectoralSystemJokes

Stanislaus Jacob
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 326
Joined: Wed Mar 12, 2014 10:52 pm

Re: Tuesday, June 12, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Stanislaus Jacob » Wed Jun 13, 2018 12:49 pm

Interesting point that may help people in the future:

The full sentence is "Now is the winter of our discontent made glorious summer by this sun of York." The words are (as so often in Shakespeare and other old-time poets) out of order - "The winter of our discontent is now made glorious summer by this sun of York" would be the more natural way to phrase it in modern prose.

In other words, the winter of our discontent is now over under the rule of the benevolent York dynasty (as Richard portrays it, even as he plots to kill multiple members of that family).

User avatar
teapot37
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 1439
Joined: Mon Aug 01, 2011 10:02 pm
Location: Louisville KY

Re: Tuesday, June 12, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by teapot37 » Wed Jun 13, 2018 1:05 pm

Stanislaus Jacob wrote:
Wed Jun 13, 2018 12:49 pm
Interesting point that may help people in the future:

The full sentence is "Now is the winter of our discontent made glorious summer by this sun of York." The words are (as so often in Shakespeare and other old-time poets) out of order - "The winter of our discontent is now made glorious summer by this sun of York" would be the more natural way to phrase it in modern prose.

In other words, the winter of our discontent is now over under the rule of the benevolent York dynasty (as Richard portrays it, even as he plots to kill multiple members of that family).
It's actually "...by this son of York" - which of course is an aural allusion to the sun as well.
Not many people can say they've lost four times on Jeopardy!.

Stanislaus Jacob
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 326
Joined: Wed Mar 12, 2014 10:52 pm

Re: Tuesday, June 12, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Stanislaus Jacob » Wed Jun 13, 2018 5:49 pm

There clearly is a pun either way. The editions I skimmed on Google Books prefer "sun" by a majority but not unanimous vote.

User avatar
mxc_takeshi
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 758
Joined: Wed Apr 30, 2014 11:09 pm
Location: Cynthiana, KY

Re: Tuesday, June 12, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by mxc_takeshi » Wed Jun 13, 2018 11:19 pm

36 right.

Title People (4), I Need A Drink (3), Medical (3), Kiss Cam (5), HQ Trivia (2), "IRS" (2)
Classical Favorites (1), Four Seasons (2), 1812 Overtures (5), Blue Danube (3), Common Man (2), Symphony (4)

Lach Trash: Rhine, Vice President, Strauss; Daily Double: Embrago Act

I didn't know Charlotte's Web was inspired by a farm in Maine, but it was the first children's book that came to my mind from "farm and barn".

User avatar
twelvefootboy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 813
Joined: Thu Dec 29, 2016 11:18 pm
Location: Tornado Alley / Southwest Missouri

Re: Tuesday, June 12, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by twelvefootboy » Wed Jun 13, 2018 11:25 pm

opusthepenguin wrote:
Wed Jun 13, 2018 10:29 am

It would be interesting to hear Jason's thoughts on the subject. But perhaps we need to work more toward being the sort of group where contestants feel safe sharing those thoughts. I'm in favor of pinning a short Guidelines for Conduct to our front page and culling the few who are unwilling to abide by them.
Sign me to this petition. As long as we can still ridicule fish flavored ice cream aficionados. :lol:
- All science is either physics or stamp collecting. - Ernest Rutherford (Winner of Nobel price in CHEMISTRY)-
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.

User avatar
Ironhorse
Wagering Pacifist
Posts: 745
Joined: Sat Apr 29, 2017 7:21 pm
Location: Cass County, Missouri

Re: Tuesday, June 12, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Ironhorse » Wed Jun 13, 2018 11:34 pm

TenPoundHammer wrote:
Tue Jun 12, 2018 7:30 pm

1952 + farm = ... Um. Date seemed not far back enough for Charlotte's Web.
I also associated Charlotte's Web with being much earlier. I had assumed 1920s or 1930s.
Never been on J!, but once won a knockoff version that aired on local access TV.

User avatar
BigDaddyMatty
Save Me, Maggie!
Posts: 2651
Joined: Wed Jan 21, 2015 11:05 am
Location: Rowlett, Texas

Re: Tuesday, June 12, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by BigDaddyMatty » Thu Jun 14, 2018 1:07 am

opusthepenguin wrote:
Wed Jun 13, 2018 12:14 pm
Which makes him the winner in a first parsed the post system.

#ObscureElectoralSystemJokes
Image
Sprinkles are for winners.

User avatar
floridagator
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 919
Joined: Sat Mar 16, 2013 3:39 am

Re: Tuesday, June 12, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by floridagator » Thu Jun 14, 2018 9:54 am

I think Charlotte's Web was set in the first three decades of the 20th century. I know it best from the animated version starring Debbie Reynolds and a bunch of TV favorites. Judging by the modern conveniences that they had it wasn't as late as the 1952 and certainly wasn't as late as 1973 when the movie was made.
My philosophy: We watch for the game. Players who get in the way of the game intrude, whether they're arrogant or adlib or cackle or fidget or make noise or are rude to AT. We want those who just play the game and don't make it about themselves to win.

User avatar
AFRET CMS
Jeopardy! Champion
Posts: 650
Joined: Thu Jan 26, 2017 2:48 pm
Location: Colorado

Re: Tuesday, June 12, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by AFRET CMS » Thu Jun 14, 2018 1:46 pm

TenPoundHammer wrote:
Tue Jun 12, 2018 7:30 pm
I'm getting too dumb to play along anymore. I have no idea where the Danube is.

1952 + farm = ... Um. Date seemed not far back enough for Charlotte's Web. Babe was a book but I'm pretty sure it was British. Uh... ... ... nah, I got nothing, this is gonna be another stumper, I know it...
My daughter was visiting while we watched this episode. I probably read Charlotte's Web several dozen times out loud 30-35 years ago. I had earlier blanked on Clue of the Day. She got it before AT had read the first five words of the clue. Oy.

And I agree with Teapot and Stanislaus who parsed the opening of Richard III by moving the word "now." This has always been one of my least favorite Shakespeare lines because of ambiguity caused by a "misplaced modifier." Most readers, and even most performers, put a pause after "discontent," making it seem like the line means "the winter of our discontent is now."

It took me a couple of viewings to realize the line actually means that winter is over: "The winter of our discontent is now made summer by this son of York." I can't remember which I text(s) I've read, but I've always heard the line as "son" rather than "sun" -- but Teapot and Stanislaus are right, it's a pun either way. To make the groundlings chuckle, perchance?
I'm not the defending Jeopardy! champion. But I have played one on TV.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 34 guests