Thursday, June 14, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Re: Thursday, June 14, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Volante »

opusthepenguin wrote: Thu Jun 14, 2018 9:04 pm As soon as the clue about a color called "cut the ______" came up, I was crossing my fingers and hoping someone would say "cheese." Thank you, Diana, for entertaining my inner middle-schooler.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
immaf
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by immaf »

First thought -- Lyra. Wait, not in the zodiac. Ummm... the one holding the scales, the strings hold the pans and meet in a knot. Libra. That's got to be it.

Pisces? Really?
Teems with quiet fun.
Howard
Contributor

Post by Howard »

Surprised this was such a dud of a question, considering this was my fastest get of the week.
4/4 this week hoping for perfect 5.
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

38 R
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: Armed, and the Final Jeopardy! :D

0/5 in Rhyming Phrases.

Knew Pisces is symbolized by two fish and went with that instinct of there being a knot.
Douglas Squasoni
Andromus
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by Andromus »

Another Gemini here.
Bartleby

Post by Bartleby »

Another with Libra. My seven week 5/5 drought continues.

Cool to see a reference to Cleveland art punk greats Pere Ubu, despite the triple miss. It seemed gettable without knowledge of the song since it's titled for the WWII film of the same name. I'd like to put in a poll request for this clue, please.

I would prefer not to.
Vowela

Post by Vowela »

I went with Sagittarius, feeling it was the most likely of the three I considered, along with Libra and Gemini. Which didn't matter, since the answer wasn't any of those three. The answer definitely took me by surprise. Was there a way to "solve" this clue, or was it just something you had to know outright?
BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

Coryat: 29,200
42 R/3 W
DD: 3/3
FJ: :(
LT: putt for dough

Considered Libra, Gemini, and Sagittarius. Settled on the latter. Once time was up, I thought of Pisces as well. Not knowing that the constellation features two fish, I doubt I would have picked it had I thought of it earlier.

"Cut the cake/cheese/mustard" was fun. Hopefully the middle one isn't a special scratch 'n' sniff paint.

Nuclear sub that shares its name with a fictional submersible? That's some easy DD money right there.
Sprinkles are for winners.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

Vowela wrote: Fri Jun 15, 2018 2:23 am Was there a way to "solve" this clue, or was it just something you had to know outright?
I think "lines (or strings)" was supposed to evoke fishing lines. But a simple change to "lines (i.e., strings)" might have cued it a little stronger.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

Bartleby wrote: Fri Jun 15, 2018 1:13 am Cool to see a reference to Cleveland art punk greats Pere Ubu, despite the triple miss. It seemed gettable without knowledge of the song since it's titled for the WWII film of the same name. I'd like to put in a poll request for this clue, please.
I said Tokyo from the couch but I don't know if I'd have buzzed in. I mis-remembered the film title as SIXTY Seconds Over Tokyo. Since Pere Ubu changed the amount of time (according to my mistaken memory), I worried that they might have changed the location. So for all I knew the song was Thirty Seconds Over Poughkeepsie. On a DD I'd definitely have guessed Tokyo because, if it wasn't that, the field was wide open.
StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Post by StevenH »

seaborgium wrote: Fri Jun 15, 2018 4:34 am
Vowela wrote: Fri Jun 15, 2018 2:23 am Was there a way to "solve" this clue, or was it just something you had to know outright?
I think "lines (or strings)" was supposed to evoke fishing lines. But a simple change to "lines (i.e., strings)" might have cued it a little stronger.
That is a good point that I never even thought of. I was thinking that the TOM was supposed to be knowing what the Pisces symbol looked like, but that seems way too trivial and some of the other signs have symbols that make just as much sense from the clue.

FWIW I'm a Libra, but I felt pretty confident that Libra wasn't the correct response.
billiej

Post by billiej »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Thu Jun 14, 2018 8:29 pm
MarkBarrett wrote: Thu Jun 14, 2018 8:27 pm We're at 0/9 getting it and 8/9 taking a guess.
9/9. I did put down Gemini to have something, figuring "two" was the key word. Right book, wrong page.
FWIW, I had the same reasoning. I did think of Pisces at the last second, thinking maybe it was supposed to be fishing line, but decided to stick with my first instinct. So much for that.

My FJ streak ends at 9. I *think* that may be a personal best for me in regular games. At least during a stretch where some were TSs.
Elijah Baley

Post by Elijah Baley »

Another Libra guess here for the reasons others have mentioned. Pisces would have been my second to last guess. And only partly because I would have mangled the spelling and probably gotten dinged for it.
kerryoakie
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by kerryoakie »

Count another for Sagittarius. I considered Libra, but didn't think the scales technically had a knot. The archer made the most sense to me.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

DBear wrote: Thu Jun 14, 2018 9:01 pm At least you all guessed a Zodiac constellation. I skipped right over that, figured a good place to find a knot was on a belt, so I guessed Orion. :(
Same here. I saw knot and immediately thought of The Gordian Knot. I spent the rest of the time trying to figure out what constellation had something to do with that.
Saturnalia
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Saturnalia »

Gemini here; my mother, watching with me, said Libra.
AFRET CMS
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by AFRET CMS »

Libra for the same reason others have mentioned about the pans of the scale being suspended.

Would move for poll question about a couple of wrong answers; from a quick scan of postings it appears that at least a couple of wrong answers seem to be more popular than the correct one.

There was a shooting in a Denver suburb during the late afternoon, and coverage extended about five minutes into Jeopardy's time slot ( or Jeopardy!'s, if you like sequential punctuation). Instead of joining the show "in progress," the local airer started the show a few minutes late, which meant my DVR stopped recording as they came back from commercial before the FJ reveal. Thank goodness for fan sites; otherwise I would have missed a very interesting conclusion to the match.
TenPoundHammer wrote: Thu Jun 14, 2018 8:29 pm I did put down Gemini to have something, figuring "two" was the key word. Right book, wrong page.
Finally, kudos to TPH -- good to see our friend take a shot based on a rational assumption and logical reasoning, even it turned out incorrect. It was the right thing to do.
I'm not the defending Jeopardy! champion. But I have played one on TV.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I went with my sign of Gemini. Head slap when I saw Libra because that made sense. Pisces never would have occurred to me.
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Thu Jun 14, 2018 11:40 pm So far I don't think ANYone has said they even got it. Is this going to poll single digits?
Picking a random Zodiac sign would give 8 1/3 % chance. From what I've seen, it's less than that.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

It might have been a little easier if the category had been “The Zodiac”, because you’d at least be able to go over them in your head during the pre-FJ break.