Thursday, June 14, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Re: Thursday, June 14, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by econgator »

The more I read about this, the worse this clue becomes. To wit:
Final Jeopardy! wrote:a star called Alrescha, the knot
However, if you look at the wiki article on Alrescha (a.k.a. Alpha Piscium) :

"The system bore the traditional name Alrescha (alternatively Al Rescha, Alrischa, Alrisha) derived from the Arabic الرشآء al-rišā’ "the well rope" and less commonly Kaitain and Okda, the latter from the Arabic عقدة ‘uqdah "knot"."

So, Alrescha is the well rope, not the knot; Okda, when it was called that, is the knot.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

econgator wrote: Fri Jun 15, 2018 11:18 pm The more I read about this, the worse this clue becomes. To wit:
Final Jeopardy! wrote:a star called Alrescha, the knot
However, if you look at the wiki article on Alrescha (a.k.a. Alpha Piscium) :

"The system bore the traditional name Alrescha (alternatively Al Rescha, Alrischa, Alrisha) derived from the Arabic الرشآء al-rišā’ "the well rope" and less commonly Kaitain and Okda, the latter from the Arabic عقدة ‘uqdah "knot"."

So, Alrescha is the well rope, not the knot; Okda, when it was called that, is the knot.
Ehhh...I dont' think the writing is entirely wrong. While the likely interpretation from the writing is that "Alrescha" means "knot," it also seems grammatically accurate to deduce from the clue that a star called "Alrescha" is also called the "knot."

Also, if anyone here was misled by -that- I'll make a hat and eat it.

It's a misfired TOM that ended up relying more on YEKIOYD than the writers likely expected. It's not like "Alrescha" actually means "flight simulator"
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7), The Decline of the American Empire (7)
Blue Lion
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by Blue Lion »

I overthought the brewer/governor question and answered "Thomas Jefferson". Jefferson was governor of Virginia, and he made his own beer (his brewing equipment is on display at Monticello). However, he didn't take up brewing until the War of 1812, when he was given custody over a British POW who taught him.

More beer geek pedantry: There are people in the craft beer community who insist that Samuel Adams was not a brewer but a maltster (someone who made grain into malt, one of the basic ingredients in beer).

Having said all that, "Samuel Adams" would be the obvious answer since it was a $200 top-row question and most people have seen Sam's image on labels on beer bottles.
davey

Post by davey »

Blue Lion wrote: Sat Jun 16, 2018 7:47 pm I overthought the brewer/governor question and answered "Thomas Jefferson". Jefferson was governor of Virginia, and he made his own beer (his brewing equipment is on display at Monticello). However, he didn't take up brewing until the War of 1812, when he was given custody over a British POW who taught him.

More beer geek pedantry: There are people in the craft beer community who insist that Samuel Adams was not a brewer but a maltster (someone who made grain into malt, one of the basic ingredients in beer).

Having said all that, "Samuel Adams" would be the obvious answer since it was a $200 top-row question and most people have seen Sam's image on labels on beer bottles.
Also, the clue was based on a claim that's on John Hickenlooper's own web site-
https://www.colorado.gov/governor/gov-hickenlooper
Blue Lion

Post by Blue Lion »

davey wrote: Sat Jun 16, 2018 8:01 pm Also, the clue was based on a claim that's on John Hickenlooper's own web site-
By the way, I've been to the Wynkoop Brewing Company in Denver, which Hickenlooper owned before he was elected governor. Their Railyard Ale was perfect for a warm, sunny afternoon after taking in a Colorado Rockies home game.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Blue Lion wrote: Sat Jun 16, 2018 8:10 pm
davey wrote: Sat Jun 16, 2018 8:01 pm Also, the clue was based on a claim that's on John Hickenlooper's own web site-
By the way, I've been to the Wynkoop Brewing Company in Denver, which Hickenlooper owned before he was elected governor. Their Railyard Ale was perfect for a warm, sunny afternoon after taking in a Colorado Rockies home game.
Though I doubt it's the case that you haven't been, make sure to get to Avery.
AFRET CMS
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by AFRET CMS »

Blue Lion wrote: Sat Jun 16, 2018 8:10 pm
Edward Wynkoop, after whom the street is named and thence the brewery, was one of Denver's founding fathers. When I was growing up in Denver, the pronunciation was a bit of a shibboleth; locals pronounce it "wine-coop." Hickenlooper is locally famous for insisting on "win-coop" -- he says it's because he doesn't was his beer associated with wine in any way. Doubt if any of that will EVER show up on Jeopardy.
I'm not the defending Jeopardy! champion. But I have played one on TV.