Friday, June 15, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Leander
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Friday, June 15, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Leander »

I guess I am the right age to have first been made aware of Ascension Island and its location as part of the news coverage of the Falklands War, in which it was a critical link in the logistics chain the UK used to supply forces in the war. “40 days” led me to Pentecost or Ascension, and from there it was easy to get to the correct choice.
davey

Post by davey »

Bamaman wrote: Sat Jun 16, 2018 5:26 am I got the Meanwhile DD right, not sure how she misheard it. Every clue was about two events in different parts of the world.
Agreed -I don't think anything was wrong with the reading or wording of the clue.
davey

Post by davey »

AFRET CMS wrote: Sat Jun 16, 2018 3:53 pm I can't remember the exact wording of the clue, but it was a before-and-after category and the clue's target response was "glee club sandwich."

For some reason, I went more specifically than generically, and blurted "Culture Club sandwich" as my response. Did that fit the clue sufficiently to have been acceptable?
If you could find one reference to Culture Club as a choral group anytime, ever, I'd give it to you. Otherwise, no.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

Ironhorse wrote: Fri Jun 15, 2018 8:04 pm
bigblue999 wrote: Fri Jun 15, 2018 7:58 pm
Ironhorse wrote: Fri Jun 15, 2018 7:54 pm I said Pentecost. It's one of those that probably wouldn't be an embarrassing guess even with there not being a Pentecost Island.
I said Pentecost also and I was confident that would be the correct answer. In fact a Pentecost Island does exist, but it's located in the South Pacific instead of Africa.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pentecost_Island
It turns out Pentecost is either 49 or 50 days after Easter (I'm finding tons of sources for both), not 40.
PENTEcost. Like PENTagon and PENTagram, the 5 root should never make you think of an event based on 40 days ever again. Roots ftw!

(Yes I know September through December are not the seventh through tenth months despite their roots. Shut up.)
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
mxc_takeshi

Post by mxc_takeshi »

39 right.

Domain Extensions (4), Geography (5), Words About Words (3), Inventions (2), Canadian History (3), Fathers (5)
Beastly Mythology (3), Single Moms (2), Meanwhile... (4), Abbre-"V"-iations (2), 1-Word Play Titles (4), Edible Before & After (2)

Lach Trash: Edward Albee

I couldn't work out what occurred 40 days after Easter, so I only had a guess of Madagascar that I didn't think was right.
TerSch
Contributor

Post by TerSch »

Ironhorse wrote: Fri Jun 15, 2018 8:04 pm
bigblue999 wrote: Fri Jun 15, 2018 7:58 pm
Ironhorse wrote: Fri Jun 15, 2018 7:54 pm I said Pentecost. It's one of those that probably wouldn't be an embarrassing guess even with there not being a Pentecost Island.
I said Pentecost also and I was confident that would be the correct answer. In fact a Pentecost Island does exist, but it's located in the South Pacific instead of Africa.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pentecost_Island
It turns out Pentecost is either 49 or 50 days after Easter (I'm finding tons of sources for both), not 40.
It's celebrated on the Sunday seven weeks after Easter Sunday. Thus, it is 49 days after Easter and the 50th day of the Easter Season.

Also, for anyone who hasn't looked it up, Asunción refers to the Assumption, which really is a primarily Catholic feast and is celebrated in August much more than forty days after any date Easter might fall on.
TerSch
Contributor

Post by TerSch »

And, of course, by that same way of figuring, Ascension would be 39 days after Easter.
JoshuaKreitzer
Valued Contributor

Post by JoshuaKreitzer »

I believe that one of the clues contained an error, although not affecting the correct response:

GEOGRAPHY $600
Remember Albert's title and you'll know that Monaco is not a monarchy but this entity
Spoiler
Principality
The correct response is a kind of monarchy. The clue should have said "not a kingdom but this entity."
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

JoshuaKreitzer wrote: Sun Jun 17, 2018 11:59 pm I believe that one of the clues contained an error, although not affecting the correct response:

GEOGRAPHY $600
Remember Albert's title and you'll know that Monaco is not a monarchy but this entity
Spoiler
Principality
The correct response is a kind of monarchy. The clue should have said "not a kingdom but this entity."
Funny you mention that, because if you look at the wiki article on monarchies, the first sentence under Characteristics contains:

"Monarchs, as such, bear a variety of titles – king or queen, prince or princess (e.g., Sovereign Prince of Monaco)"

Seems the smallest bit of research would have borne out your point.
billiej

Post by billiej »

boson wrote: Fri Jun 15, 2018 2:34 pm
MinnesotaMyron wrote: Fri Jun 15, 2018 2:27 pm I said Asunción, which appears to be incorrect.
Yup - I made the same mistake. Wikipedia says the Portuguese name of the island is Ilha da Ascensão.
Same... :oops: