Friday, June 15, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Friday, June 15, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

Game Recap for Show #7785, 2018-06-15

CONTESTANTS
Jon Brown, a bartender from Los Angeles, California
Deirdre Thomas, an attorney and editor from Seattle, Washington
Diana Hsu, a legal records assistant from Malden, Massachusetts (whose 2-day cash winnings total $44,601)

OPENING REMARKS
Alex: Thank you, Johnny. Thank you, ladies and gentlemen. We started the week on Monday with a category called MONDAY IS FUN, but Friday can be fun as well, as Jon, Deirdre and Diana are about to discover. Good luck. Here we go. Let's take a look at the categories, shall we?

JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
DOMAIN EXTENSIONS MATTER (4/5)
GEOGRAPHY (5/5)
WORDS ABOUT WORDS (5/5)
INVENTIONS (4/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
CANADIAN HISTORY (3/3)
CELEBRITY FATHERS & SONS (5/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Deirdre: 9 R (including 1 rebound), 1 W
Diana: 9 R (including 1 rebound and 1 DD), 3 W
Jon: 8 R (including 1 rebound), 2 W

Clues revealed: 28
Triple Stumpers: 2
Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $2,000

JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Diana found the Daily Double on the 14th clue. Diana had $1,000, Deirdre had $2,600, and Jon was at $1,600. Diana wagered $500.

INVENTIONS $400: In 1950 Zenith introduced the first one of these gadgets; it was called the "Lazy Bones"

SCORES AT THE FIRST BREAK
Deirdre: $2,600
Jon: $1,600
Diana: $1,500

CONTESTANT INTERVIEWS

Alex: Couple of Jeopardy! connections from our contestants on the program today. Jon Brown is a bartender from Los Angeles, and for your fifth grade talent show, what did you do?

Jon: I put on a corduroy suit and a Groucho Marx mask, and I lip-synced "I Lost On Jeopardy!" by Weird Al Yankovic, which hopefully was not prophetic.

Alex: Okay. That's a good way to look at it.

Alex: Deirdre Thomas is from Seattle, Washington. There is a Jeopardy! connection with you. Wasn't your dad on Jeopardy! as a contestant?

Deirdre: Yes, yes, Jeopardy! was in my blood. My dad was a contestant--

Alex: I don't remember him.

Deirdre: The Art Fleming version.

Alex: Oh, hello.

Deirdre: In 1968, the year I was born. So, and he made it to the Tournament of Champions, and he was a finalist. And he told me last night--he's here today, and he told me last night he still remembers the question that he lost on.

Alex: That's a great story.

Alex: Diana Hsu is our champion. She's from Massachusetts. You run a food group online.

Diana: I do.

Alex: What's it all about?

Diana: Well, Boston has all of these really interesting cuisines that are all tucked away in these little hidden pockets. So the group is to get a bunch of people together and go visit each one of those little areas, trying out all the fascinating food Boston has to offer.

Alex: All right.

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
INVENTIONS $1000: In 1846 Elias Howe took this invention to Washington to apply for a patent
(Deirdre: What is the cotton gin?)
(Diana: What is a motorcycle?)

DOMAIN EXTENSIONS MATTER $1000: this.com is an outdoor clothing company; this.edu is an Ivy League school

SCORES AT THE END OF THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
Deirdre: $5,000
Diana: $2,900
Jon: $2,000
Last edited by Archivists on Wed Jan 30, 2019 3:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Friday, June 15, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
BEASTLY MYTHOLOGY (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
SINGLE MOMS ON TELEVISION (5/5)
MEANWHILE... (4/5, including 1 missed Daily Double)
ABBRE-"V"-IATIONS (5/5)
1-WORD PLAY TITLES (4/5)
EDIBLE BEFORE & AFTER (5/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Diana: 12 R (including 1 rebound and 1 DD), 1 W (including 1 DD)
Deirdre: 11 R, 0 W
Jon: 5 R, 1 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 1
Double Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $1,200

FIRST DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Diana snagged the next Daily Double on the 4th clue. Diana had $4,500, Deirdre had $5,000, and Jon was at $2,800. Diana wagered $1,500.

BEASTLY MYTHOLOGY $1600: In west African myth, many tales were spun about Anansi, a trickster in the form of this

SECOND DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
It was Diana who snatched up the last Daily Double of the game on the 28th clue. Diana had $14,000, Deirdre had $19,800, and Jon was at $5,600. Diana wagered $6,000.

MEANWHILE... $1200: In 1603 the Tokugawa shogunate began in Japan & this English dynasty came to an end
(Diana: What is the Meiji?)

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND
1-WORD PLAY TITLES $1200: Talking giant lizards show up in this "Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf?" author's play "Seascape"

SCORES ENTERING FINAL JEOPARDY!
Deirdre: $19,800
Diana: $11,600
Jon: $5,600

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
ISLAND NAMES

VENUSIAN MONOLOGUES/MARTIAN CHRONICLES
Crush for first place.
Deirdre: Wager $3,401 to cover Diana, but no more than $8,599 so as not to fall behind Jon's doubled score.
Diana: You have the hope of surpassing Deirdre if you come up with the correct response. Bet at least $8,201 to force Deirdre to wager to win; but if you're intent on holding on to second place, wager no more than $399 to protect your second place position from being usurped by Jon.
Jon: Unfortunately, your score is less than the difference between the scores of the first and second place players, so unless they both blunder, you're competing for second place and have no hopes of first. Wager as much as you desire, but remember, you'll have better chances of advancing to second place if you have a larger sum left over on a Triple Stumper.

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
A Portuguese explorer gave this name to an island he sighted off Africa's coast 40 days after Easter

FINAL SCORES
Jon: $5,600 - $5,599 = $1 (What is Madeira) (3rd place: $1,000)
Diana: $11,600 - $6,001 = $5,599 (What are the Sey) (2nd place: $2,000)
Deirdre: $19,800 - $3,401 = $16,399 (What is Madagascar) (New champion: $16,399)

Total Potential Lach Trash: $3,200

GAME DYNAMICS

CORYAT SCORES
Deirdre: $19,800, 20 R, 1 W
Diana: $17,600, 21 R (including 2 DDs), 4 W (including 1 DD)
Jon: $5,600, 13 R, 3 W
Combined Coryat: $43,000

BATTING AVERAGES
Deirdre: 20/58 = .345
Diana: 21/61 = .344
Jon: 13/58 = .224
Team: 54/63 = .857

MISCELLANEOUS INTERESTING CLUES
GEOGRAPHY $200: (Jimmy of the Clue Crew shows the Andes on the monitor.) A small stream in Peru's Andes flows into the Apurimac, becoming a source of this river that some 4,000 miles later flows into the Atlantic

GEOGRAPHY $600: Remember Albert's title & you'll know that Monaco is not a monarchy but this entity
(Diana: What is a duchy?)
(Alex: Prince Rainier.)

WORDS ABOUT WORDS $600: This 5-letter verb meaning "to express feeling", maybe on stage, is an example of a back-formation
(Alex: Emotion came first.)

WORDS ABOUT WORDS $1000: This -ism is the use of an old or obsolete term
(Jon: What is anachronism?)

CELEBRITY FATHERS & SONS $600: Oscar winner Henry & Oscar-nominated Peter
(Alex: Less than a minute now.)

CANADIAN HISTORY $400: In 1916 this prairie province became the first in Canada to give women the right to vote
(Diana: What is Alberta?)
(Jon: What is Saskatchewan?)

CANADIAN HISTORY $600: William Lyon Mackenzie King's long stretch as PM saw the creation of this radio & TV entity that gave me my big break
[The end-of-round signal sounds.]

1-WORD PLAY TITLES $400: This play opens with "the barely distinguishable word assassin!" & whispers of "Salieri!... Salieri!"
(Jon: What is Mozart?)

SINGLE MOMS ON TELEVISION $1600: 41 years part, it's the title in common to the two shows featuring the divorced single moms seen here

SINGLE MOMS ON TELEVISION $2000: Alexis Bledel & this actress were the "Gilmore Girls" teenage daughter & single mom
[Applause for Deirdre running the category.]

MEANWHILE... $400: In late April 1789 Parisians were rioting while on the other side of the world the crew of this ship was in mutiny
(Alex: With less than a minute now.)

MEANWHILE... $2000: In 1867 Nebraska joined the Union & a union called the Ausgleich created this dual monarchy in Europe
(Diana: What is [*]?)
(Alex: That's it.)
(Diana: Or Austria-Hungary.)

CORRECT RESPONSES
a (TV) remote control
the sewing machine
Columbia
a spider
Tudor
Edward Albee
Ascension Island
the Amazon
a principality
emote
archaism
the Fondas
Manitoba
the CBC (or Canadian Broadcasting Corporation)
Amadeus
One Day at a Time
Lauren Graham
the Bounty
Austro-Hungary
Last edited by Archivists on Wed Jan 30, 2019 3:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by theFJguy »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
ISLAND NAMES

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
A Portuguese explorer gave this name to an island he sighted off Africa’s coast 40 days after Easter

Diana Hsu: 11600-6001=5599
Deirdre Thomas: 19800-3401=16399 (New Champ)
Jon Brown: 5600-5599=1

Correct response:
Spoiler
Ascension (Diana – Sey) (Deirdre – Madagascar) (Jon – Madeira)

Daily Doubles
Diana: 100+500
Diana: 4500+1500
Diana: 14000-6000

Coryats
Diana: 17600
Deirdre: 19800
Jon: 5600

Combined: 43,000

Scores at the end of the Jeopardy! Round
Diana: 2900
Deirdre: 5000
Jon: 2000
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Chat time was funny with Jon talking the Yankovic song (losing on J!) and Deirdre dropping the news her dad (winning with Fleming) was in the 1968 ToC.

Here is the Fleming TOC thread if someone wants to try to figure out which one is Deirdre’s dad: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=437p14648

Trying to get the province outlined, well, at least the players did not guess BC or Ontario before finally getting it.

Deirdre’s missing the Howe clue? Here is her assignment :
Spoiler
Excellent streak by Deirdre of nine right in a row including the run of the TV category.

Clutch by Diana to gets clues 29 & 30 to prevent the runaway.

Terrible job by me on the FJ! clue. First I had to dismiss Madagascar and tell the lemurs to be quiet when I saw off Africa’s coast. No, no, no as it kept trying to stick in my head and distract me.

Then I tried to think of that other geographic name for Easter that I had seen somewhere and could not pull. The next distractor was recalling Pentecost after Easter and getting rid of that for the 50 factor.

Why I failed to match 40 days after Easter for the island is beyond me as it’s not like either are unknown to me.

What I ended up writing was Pascua after I finally dug up the other name for Easter Island I had been looking for earlier. At least thanks to yesterday’s miss today’s bomb did not cost me a perfecto for the week.

If Diana had solved DD3 she would have led for the FJ! round and probably still lost trying to cover Deirdre in a strong second place position.
badgerfellow
One and Done

Post by badgerfellow »

This was an interesting Final Jeopardy clue. Most Catholic dioceses in the United States celebrate Ascension on Sunday (day 43) instead of the traditional Thursday (day 40). Still, Acts of the Apostles mentions the 40th day, so it shouldn't matter. Otherwise, how many other "holiday" islands can there be?
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

I said Asunción, which appears to be incorrect.
boson
Trivial

Post by boson »

MinnesotaMyron wrote: Fri Jun 15, 2018 2:27 pm I said Asunción, which appears to be incorrect.
Yup - I made the same mistake. Wikipedia says the Portuguese name of the island is Ilha da Ascensão.
evanakm
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by evanakm »

Did anybody else say São Tomé? I know there's a story about Christ appearing to Thomas after the resurrection.
Elijah Baley

Post by Elijah Baley »

evanakm wrote: Fri Jun 15, 2018 3:22 pm Did anybody else say São Tomé? I know there's a story about Christ appearing to Thomas after the resurrection.
Sounds like a reasonable guess. And, it's certainly closer to Africa than Ascension. I doubted whether it was correct because I don't really think of it as "off Africa's coast." But, the 40 days after Easter made it the best guess.

Edited to add that it's a shame Diana misheard that DD; she was an excellent player, cool as a cucumber and not afraid to go big when necessary. Alex oddly emphasized "dynasty" when he should have emphasized "English."
Saturnalia
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Saturnalia »

I had Cabo Verde, on the theory that it sounded Portuguese, and it might be green forty days after Easter (or, failing that, there might be some Christian feast then having to do with greenery). Sao Tome crossed my mind, too. NHO Ascension Island...

5/5 on Meanwhile; 0/5 on TV Single Moms, of course. Shrug...
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Never heard of that island but got it from the description.

Glad the 50 year old won to give me hope. Nice her dad could be there to see her win.
Last edited by Bamaman on Fri Jun 15, 2018 5:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
squarekara
J! Reactionary

Post by squarekara »

Elijah Baley wrote: Fri Jun 15, 2018 4:53 pm Edited to add that it's a shame Diana misheard that DD; she was an excellent player, cool as a cucumber and not afraid to go big when necessary. Alex oddly emphasized "dynasty" when he should have emphasized "English."
Yes, that was a heartbreaker. Her calm assurance was pretty impressive. But I found that entire category pretty trippy. Even after Diana's miss, on the very next question, I thought at first they wanted Mesopotamia rather than Mesoamerica.
Wpwells

Post by Wpwells »

I had to flip the coin between Resurrection and Ascension. I ended up with ascension because I know that’s what Catholics call it and also Ascension Island tickled something for me.
Plactus

Post by Plactus »

I thought I was going to end up identifying the TOM (40th day of Easter Season = Ascension) and not getting the island name right because I'd never heard of it. But I went with Ascension Island rather than trying to puzzle out what it would be in Portuguese, and fortunately that was right.

That is, once I finally got through my head it wasn't Easter Island.
Oh, what has science wrought? I sought only to turn a man into a metal-encased juggernaut of destruction powered by the unknown properties of a mysterious living crystal. How could this have all gone wrong?
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

I bit on the "Anachronism" negbait to end up 4/5 in Words About Words.

Couldn't think of anything in a car that would be "intermittent".

Domain was a clever category but I couldn't noodle any of them. Whiffed with "today" on the first one, no idea on the rest.

"Virginia Military Institute" joins the "NHOI in the top box" list.

40 days after Easter = Pentecost. But there isn't a Pentecost island, is there? And dead end. Asencion Island rings a faint bell, but I don't think I'd have made the connection in 30 hours.

Lach Trash: sewing machine
Ironhorse
Second Banana

Post by Ironhorse »

I said Pentecost. It's one of those that probably wouldn't be an embarrassing guess even with there not being a Pentecost Island.
bigblue999
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by bigblue999 »

Ironhorse wrote: Fri Jun 15, 2018 7:54 pm I said Pentecost. It's one of those that probably wouldn't be an embarrassing guess even with there not being a Pentecost Island.
I said Pentecost also and I was confident that would be the correct answer. In fact a Pentecost Island does exist, but it's located in the South Pacific instead of Africa.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pentecost_Island
Last edited by bigblue999 on Fri Jun 15, 2018 8:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Post by StevenH »

I really liked this board.

I got FJ mainly from the geography connection. I hit on Ascension Island and figured that it was some sort of holiday related to Easter.
Ironhorse
Second Banana

Post by Ironhorse »

bigblue999 wrote: Fri Jun 15, 2018 7:58 pm
Ironhorse wrote: Fri Jun 15, 2018 7:54 pm I said Pentecost. It's one of those that probably wouldn't be an embarrassing guess even with there not being a Pentecost Island.
I said Pentecost also and I was confident that would be the correct answer. In fact a Pentecost Island does exist, but it's located in the South Pacific instead of Africa.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pentecost_Island
It turns out Pentecost is either 49 or 50 days after Easter (I'm finding tons of sources for both), not 40.
cheezguyty

Post by cheezguyty »

MarkBarrett wrote: Fri Jun 15, 2018 2:03 pm Here is the Fleming TOC thread if someone wants to try to figure out which one is Deirdre’s dad: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=437p14648
Deirdre's father is Dr. Nicholas "Nick" Rorick from Bridgeport, CT, who finished in either 2nd or 3rd place in the 1969 ToC.