Monday, January 9, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Monday, January 9, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists » Mon Jan 09, 2012 11:30 am

Game Recap for Show #6286, 2012-01-09

CONTESTANTS
Julie Podlesni, a law clerk for a federal judge from Chattanooga, Tennessee
Sean Norris, a hockey arena announcer from Portland, Oregon
Dan McShane, a baseball game logger from West Islip, New York (whose 1-day cash winnings total $18,801)

OPENING REMARKS
Alex: Thank you, Johnny Gilbert. Hello, everyone, and welcome again to our show. Well, we know that Dan knows how to end a week on a high note. Does he also know how to begin a week on a high note? We're about to find out as he faces Julie and Sean. Welcome aboard. Good luck. Here we go. Jeopardy! Round. And these categories for you, starting off with...

JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
BEATLEWOMANIA (4/5)
THE FOOD CHAIN (4/5)
LABOR DAY FOR HERCULES (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
A BUCKET LIST (2/2)
POINT THE "FINGER" (5/5)
SO VERY JANUARY 9 (3/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Julie: 12 R (including 1 rebound and 1 DD), 3 W
Dan: 7 R (including 1 rebound), 3 W
Sean: 4 R (including 1 rebound), 2 W

Clues revealed: 27
Triple Stumpers: 4
Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $2,800

SCORES AT THE FIRST BREAK
Julie: $1,600
Dan: $600
Sean: $400

CONTESTANT INTERVIEWS

Alex: Julie Podlesni is from Chattanooga, Tennessee--a law clerk for a federal judge, who was once rescued by four nuns. That sounds exciting. What happened?

Julie: Yes, we'd gone to a concert in a cathedral, and I program--

Alex: Where?

Julie: In Mexico City...

Alex: Uh-huh.

Julie: In a not-great neighborhood, and I programmed the number of the cell phone 'cause I'm a worrier, but it--of the cab company, but it didn't work out, and so... I went to Catholic school, so I'm used to what nuns look like, even in plain clothes, and I approached a group, about four of them, and they crammed me and my roommate into their tiny car and drove us back to our hotel.

Alex: Good for the nuns.

Alex: Sean Norris, a hockey area--arena--hockey arena announcer who once wanted to be me...

Sean: That's right.

Alex: But now he no longer wants to be me.

Sean: No, I want to be Johnny Gilbert now.

[Laughter]

Alex: Let me hear you say, "This is Jeopardy!"

Sean: [Dramatically] This is Jeopardy!

Alex: Johnny? Watch out. Watch out.

[Laughter]

Alex: Youth. These youths.

Alex: Dan McShane is our champ from New York. Now she just told us about a strange situation in Mexico City.

Dan: Mm-hmm.

Alex: You were in South America when something happened to you. Yes, I was in Rio, and, uh, some people from my hostel and I, we went to a, uh, street festival, and a couple youths came up and pulled out a knife and tried to mug us, and my first reaction was to just ditch the people I was with and run.

Alex: And that's what you did?

Dan: Oh, yeah. I bolted.

Alex: And what happened to your friends?

Alex: They got mugged. Um...

[Laughter]

Dan: If you guys are watching, sorry about that. [Sighs]

Alex: That reminds me of the old line--the two guys in the forest, and they're chased by a bear. And he says, "Can we outrun the bear?" He says, "I don't have to outrun the bear. I just have to outrun you."

Dan: Exactly.

JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Julie found the Daily Double on the 19th clue. Dan had $600, Sean had $1,400, and Julie was at $3,000. Julie wagered $800.

LABOR DAY FOR HERCULES $1000: Hercules hunted down a brass-hooved stag that was sacred to this goddess

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
SO VERY JANUARY 9 $200: 1570:
Suspecting a revolt in the city of Novgorod, this man captured the city & executed many there
(Julie: Who is Vlad the Impaler?)

BEATLEWOMANIA $1000: Before she was married to Eric Clapton, George Harrison wrote the song "Something" about her
(Sean: Who is Layla?)
(Julie: Who is Jane Asher?)

THE FOOD CHAIN $800: Established in 1859, this transoceanic supermarket merged with Pathmark in 2007

SO VERY JANUARY 9 $800: 1861:
This state seceded, prompting Jefferson Davis to leave the U.S. Senate
(Dan: What is South Carolina?)
(Julie: What is Alabama?)
(Alex: Jefferson Davis from [*].)

SCORES AT THE END OF THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
Julie: $5,400
Dan: $2,200
Sean: $400

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Monday, January 9, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists » Mon Jan 09, 2012 11:30 am

DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
THE SEA AROUND US (5/5)
BROADCASTER NEWS (3/3)
WEIRD WORDS (3/3)
WHAT'S NEXT? (3/5)
'ROUND MIDNIGHT (3/5, including 1 missed Daily Double)
FELONIOUS MONKS (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Dan: 13 R (including 1 rebound and 1 DD), 3 W (including 1 DD)
Julie: 6 R, 0 W
Sean: 3 R (including 1 rebound), 1 W

Clues revealed: 26
Triple Stumpers: 3
Double Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $4,800

FIRST DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Dan snagged the next Daily Double on the 5th clue. Dan had $4,200, Sean had $800, and Julie was at $6,600. Dan wagered $1,200.

FELONIOUS MONKS $1600: AKA Saloth Sar, he was a novice monk for a time in Cambodia before becoming infamous for "Killing Fields"

SECOND DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
It was Dan who snatched up the last Daily Double of the game on the 15th clue. Dan had $7,400, Sean had $800, and Julie was at $7,800. Dan wagered $1,200.

'ROUND MIDNIGHT $1200: "Midnight's Children" by Salman Rusdie tells of the post-colonial era in this nation where Rushdie was born
(Dan: What is... Syria?)

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND
WHAT'S NEXT? $1200: White House state dinner May 7, 2007:
Soup, fish, meat, this course
(Dan: What is dessert?)

WHAT'S NEXT? $2000: Geologic time eras:
Paleozoic, Mesozoic, this

'ROUND MIDNIGHT $1600: "The Book" gift shop in Savannah, Georgia offers souvenirs associated with this John Berendt bestseller

SCORES ENTERING FINAL JEOPARDY!
Dan: $16,200
Julie: $13,400
Sean: $800

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
RECENT FILMS

VENUSIAN MONOLOGUES/MARTIAN CHRONICLES
Four-fifths for first place. Shore's Conjecture.
Dan: Wager $10,601 to cover Julie, but no more than $14,599 so as not to fall behind Sean's doubled score. If you're a fan of shoretegic wagering, you might risk $9,001.
Julie: Since you're within 4/5ths of Dan's score, you should wager between $5,601 (venusian) and $7,800 (martian), beating Dan's maximum safe bet of the difference between your scores.
Sean: Too bad for you, Sean, your score is less than Dan's score minus Julie's score. Unless they both commit an egregious wagering error, you've no hope of moving into first place. Wager as much as you desire, but remember, you'll have better chances of advancing to second place if you have a larger sum left over on a Triple Stumper.

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
An early scene in this 2011 film is set in Tonsberg, Norway in the year 965 A.D.

FINAL SCORES
Sean: $800 + $44 = $844 (What is Thor) (3rd place: $1,000)
Julie: $13,400 - $11,798 = $1,602 (What is Hamlet?) (2nd place: $2,000)
Dan: $16,200 - $10,601 = $5,599 (What is The Girl With the Dra) (2-day champion: $24,400)

Total Potential Lach Trash: $7,600

GAME DYNAMICS

CORYAT SCORES
Dan: $17,800, 20 R (including 1 DD), 6 W (including 1 DD)
Julie: $13,600, 18 R (including 1 DD), 3 W
Sean: $800, 7 R, 3 W
Combined Coryat: $32,200

BATTING AVERAGES
Dan: 20/60 = .333
Julie: 18/59 = .305
Sean: 8/58 = .138
Team: 46/63 = .730

MISCELLANEOUS INTERESTING CLUES
POINT THE "FINGER" $800: Close basketball shot from the tip of the hand into the basket
(Dan: What is a fingertip?)

THE FOOD CHAIN $200: This convenience store was born when the Southland Ice Co. sold milk & eggs after grocery stores closed
(Dan: What is Dairy Barn?)

A BUCKET LIST $1000: Learn to speak Romansch & these 3 other official languages of Switzerland
(Sean: What are German, French, and Swiss?)

POINT THE "FINGER" $1000: Elmira Corning Regional Airport is one gateway to this scenic region
(Alex: That's right, with less than a minute to go now.)

SO VERY JANUARY 9 $600: 1987:
This country's forces launched a major offensive against the Iraqi city of Basra
[The end-of-round signal sounds.]

FELONIOUS MONKS $2000: As the first Grand Inquisitor in Spain, this Dominican authorized torture
(Sean: Who is... [sighs])

THE SEA AROUND US $400: The song "This Land Is Your Land" mentions these waters, a warm ocean current flowing in the North Atlantic
(Dan: What is the Gulf of Mexico?)

THE SEA AROUND US $800: (Kelly of the Clue Crew reports from Australia.) This section of water known as the Backpacker's Express carries unwary tourists out to sea; it's one of these currents, similar to an undertow, that draws water away from shore

THE SEA AROUND US $1600: The Gulf of Volos or Pagasai, anciently called Sinus Pagasaeus, is an arm of this sea
(Dan: What is the Mediterranean?)
(Alex: Be more specific.)

WHAT'S NEXT? $400: Apollo missions that landed on the Moon:
11, 12, this
(Alex: Good, with less than a minute to go.)

BROADCASTER NEWS $2000: (Hi. I'm Chris Matthews.) In 2004 I received the award for excellence in broadcast journalism named for this longtime news partner of Chet Huntley

BROADCASTER NEWS $1200: Here's the "Situation": this anchor began his career in 1972 working for Reuters in Tel Aviv
[The end-of-round signal sounds.]

CORRECT RESPONSES
Diana
Ivan the Terrible
Pattie Boyd
A&P (Atlantic & Pacific)
Mississippi
Pol Pot
India
salad
Cenozoic
Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil
Thor
a finger roll
7-Eleven
German, French & Italian
the Finger Lakes
Iran
Torquemada
the Gulf Stream waters
a rip current
the Aegean
David Brinkley
(Wolf) Blitzer

xxaaaxx
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Monday, January 9, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by xxaaaxx » Mon Jan 09, 2012 7:29 pm

FJ Category: Recent Films

An early scene in this 2011 film is set in Tonsberg, Norway in the year 965 A.D.
Spoiler
Show
What is Thor? Julie said Hamlet, Dan got halfway through writing The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo
Spoiler
Show
Dan: 16,200 - 10,601 = 5,599
Sean: 800 + 44 = 844
Julie: 13,400 - 11,798 = 1,602
Last edited by xxaaaxx on Mon Jan 09, 2012 7:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DWS
Jeopardy! Fan

Post by DWS » Mon Jan 09, 2012 7:30 pm

This was a lousy game to watch, capped off with a bad FJ wager from second place.

econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator » Mon Jan 09, 2012 7:30 pm

Wagering ... yeah ... anyway ...

Should I know that the salad comes after the meat? Seems out of place there (I went with dessert, too).

Before anyone asks, Mariana, with or without the 's' is fine.

FJ was a lucky guess. I've seem very, very few 2011 films (and not Thor yet), but that seemed the only one it could be.

xxaaaxx

Post by xxaaaxx » Mon Jan 09, 2012 7:37 pm

econgator wrote:Wagering ... yeah ... anyway ...

Should I know that the salad comes after the meat? Seems out of place there (I went with dessert, too).

FJ was a lucky guess. I've seem very, very few 2011 films (and not Thor yet), but that seemed the only one it could be.
I'll just take the lazy way out and quote your post in it's entirety, rather than repeating it all.

FJ took 20 seconds, mostly wasted trying to figure out what major historical events toook place in that era, before the Norway -> Thor lightbulb went off.

As for her wager...whatever. The usual suicide wager, but hey, at least she protected second place!!! :roll:

jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 » Mon Jan 09, 2012 7:41 pm

I guess either Artemis or Diana were acceptable for the Hercules clue asking whose sacred stag Hercules had to hunt down. I answered Artemis because I thought Hercules was a Greek name, but I figured they would take either. I just now learned that Hercules is actually the Roman name for the Greek hero Heracles, which is not a name I am very familiar with. I guess that must be one where the Roman name has become much more commonly used over time.
Last edited by jeff6286 on Mon Jan 09, 2012 8:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Snaxx
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Snaxx » Mon Jan 09, 2012 7:56 pm

econgator wrote: Should I know that the salad comes after the meat? Seems out of place there (I went with dessert, too).
Unless they are talking appetizer meat or appetizer portions, I would be full and not really want salad afterwards.
OK... I wouldn't be too full for dessert, how could I be too full for dessert?? Just too full for salad or 'healthy' stuff.

Fishercat

Post by Fishercat » Mon Jan 09, 2012 7:59 pm

I usually like Jeopardy games, but this one dragged like all hell get out. Timid wagering in the daily doubles, slow clue choices. Too bad Sean couldn't get going since it seemed like he could add some excitement in there.

I hated FJ, but it makes sense on retrospect. I bet this would have been easier when it was taped (when Thor was only a handful of months old, maybe near DVD release, hard to tell) than it was now, with some blockbusters (and better movies) overshadowing it. I WAGed GwtDT even though it's a country or two and a millennium off. The second place wager was, well, yeah.

Rough game.

SkoolRN
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by SkoolRN » Mon Jan 09, 2012 8:00 pm

econgator wrote:Wagering ... yeah ... anyway ...

European style, it's after the main course.
"Lefthanders have more enthusiasm for life. They sleep on the wrong side of the bed and their head gets more stagnant on that side."
Casey Stengel.

StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Post by StevenH » Mon Jan 09, 2012 8:03 pm

I thought that this board was pretty easy but I didn't particularly like it. I didn't care for the "What's Next" category, and there were some bottom of the board clues that were ridiculously easy. The boards over the past few days games have not been very well-written, imo.

The FJ was a good clue. Unfortunately, it was also one where the correct response came to me right after Alex made his post-think music comment. I also guessed The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, even though I saw it over the weekend and knew it couldn't be correct. My precall was Inception, but I guess that one is a tad too old to be called "recent."

It is hard to tell with the way the boards have been, but so far Dan has struck me as one of those contestants who has some really impressive gets but also leaves money on the board that leaves you shaking your head. I think that he could do well on a ToC board, though.

SkoolRN
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by SkoolRN » Mon Jan 09, 2012 8:04 pm

My husband had an Instaget on FJ; I frankly never heard of it. There were a lot of answers that we were hollering at the TV while the contestants blanked, more so than usual. Was the board slanted toward geezer knowledge or something? (Okay, the Beatles, but they had most of those.)
"Lefthanders have more enthusiasm for life. They sleep on the wrong side of the bed and their head gets more stagnant on that side."
Casey Stengel.

lisa0012

Post by lisa0012 » Mon Jan 09, 2012 8:07 pm

My DVR didn't tape today. Anyone else have any issues? Maybe it was just a local problem.

barandall800
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by barandall800 » Mon Jan 09, 2012 8:14 pm

Have to agree that this wasn't the most exciting of games, but I liked it. It was a bummer to see Sean falter, though.

Admittedly, I laughed rather heartily at Dan's interview. The way he just casually admitted his friends' fate was priceless. :)

For some reason on FJ, "Rise of the Planet of the Apes" got stuck in my head, and I couldn't let it go. Almost went for "The Tree of Life" towards the end, but stuck with my tenuous first guess. Immediately after Alex said, "Hmmm, Norway in the 9th century? Who would that be?", the 'who' was the last piece my mind needed, and it all clicked as I shouted, "THOR!" (For the record, I have seen none of these three films. I do want to see "Tree of Life.")

Tehshigelisok
Not J! Contestant Material

Post by Tehshigelisok » Mon Jan 09, 2012 8:19 pm

11/27, 8/26.

This game did seem a tad lethargic, come to think of it. LTaM after only 21 clues? Slooooooow.

Ran Food Chain with ease, retail geek that I am. Surprised A&P was a TS. (And for that matter, that it's still in business anywhere.)

I know we covered Greek and Roman gods in 6th grade, but I don't remember ever going over any of Hercules' tasks. Clearly we got the Disney version. (Actually, I knew Cerberus, but I clammed because I was afraid my mouth would get ahead of my mind and say Cerebus, as in the aardvark of comics infamy.)

January 9 for $200 — TSes at $200 usually scream "undervalued" to me, but out of curiosity, what's the usual TOM for Ivan?

Bucket for $1,000 — I hate clues requiring three answers. I'm always "What are X, Y and... um, did I say X already?"

Completely lost on FJ! I almost gave a gag answer of How to Train Your Dragon, even though I know it came out in 2010. What can I say? I liked it.

Also, as an aside, I just don't "get" the superhero genre. Nothing about it has ever interested me.
Really, I'm TenPoundHammer. Same as always.

econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator » Mon Jan 09, 2012 8:29 pm

SkoolRN wrote:European style, it's after the main course.
Yeah, but it was at the White House. U-S-A and all that. :)
Tehshigelisok wrote:January 9 for $200 — TSes at $200 usually scream "undervalued" to me, but out of curiosity, what's the usual TOM for Ivan?
All of the "terrible" (which is to say "fearsome" or "terrorizing") stuff that earned him his sobriquet.

DBear

Post by DBear » Mon Jan 09, 2012 8:31 pm

Picked up Ivan the Terrible, A&P, and Cenozoic trash.
Derped the FJ, answering with "How to train Your Dragon".
Agree with above posters in wonder WTH eats salad after a meat course. Around here, salad comes after the appetizer and before the main course.
Last edited by DBear on Mon Jan 09, 2012 8:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SkoolRN
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by SkoolRN » Mon Jan 09, 2012 8:31 pm

econgator wrote:
SkoolRN wrote:European style, it's after the main course.
Yeah, but it was at the White House. U-S-A and all that. :)
Tehshigelisok wrote:January 9 for $200 — TSes at $200 usually scream "undervalued" to me, but out of curiosity, what's the usual TOM for Ivan?
All of the "terrible" stuff that earned him his sobriquet.[/q
Also Italian-American style, at least where I grew up.
Casey Stengel.

ej!fan
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by ej!fan » Mon Jan 09, 2012 8:33 pm

I really wanted to say The Help for FJ but I said Thor.

barandall800
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by barandall800 » Mon Jan 09, 2012 8:55 pm

ej!fan wrote:I really wanted to say The Help for FJ but I said Thor.
:D