Monday, January 9, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

messyjesse
Contributor

Re: Monday, January 9, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by messyjesse »

Rough game. Very slow and plodding, too much jumping around. Never found a rhythm. If I'd kept a Coryat it would probably be my worst in ages.

FJ was almost an instant get though. I see so few movies these days that my primary knowledge of recent films comes straight from trailers. I was at least thankful to know that Thor was out recently and that it was a big enough deal that I wouldn't miss a clue on it. :)
"No man is an island, so they say, although the small crustaceans and the bird which sat impassively on Dirk Manhope's chest as he floated lazily in the pool would probably disagree."
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

StevenH wrote:The FJ was a good clue. Unfortunately, it was also one where the correct response came to me right after Alex made his post-think music comment. I also guessed The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, even though I saw it over the weekend and knew it couldn't be correct. My precall was Inception, but I guess that one is a tad too old to be called "recent."
Yeah, Inception was 2010. I went with Girl as well. I recently Netflixed the Swedish version and didn't really see how starting that story off with a scene in 965 A.D. Norway would make much sense. But we're talking about a Hollywood adaptation, so that wasn't much of an argument against. The better argument, as someone else mentioned, is that the US version of Girl came out too recently for when this show was taped. I knew it was still in theaters. But I figured it probably had come out before the new year. (It did.) I totally forgot to layer in another two or three months to get back to the time of taping.

I think this is a good question to add to our weekly FJ poll. Are we still doing that? Is our pollster out of town? Anyway, I'm curious how many people made this specific wrong guess.
MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by MarkBarrett »

opusthepenguin wrote:I think this is a good question to add to our weekly FJ poll. Are we still doing that? Is our pollster out of town? Anyway, I'm curious how many people made this specific wrong guess.
Yes, I was out of town on Saturday evening. I went to Daly City to add to the box office haul of the #1 movie of the week. I'm here as my earlier post shows. You want TGWTDT as an extra choice? Sure, you got it as I take requests.
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

econgator wrote:Before anyone asks, Mariana, with or without the 's' is fine.
That one I figured out. Wikipedia gives a very authoritative footnote saying the "s" ending is a "Variant according to the U.S. National Geospatial-Intelligence Agency". Good enough for me.

Where I need a ruling is on "rip tide" instead of "rip current". A Wiki search for "rip tide" redirects to "rip current". That article begins "commonly referred to by the misnomer rip tide". So ... neg because "misnomer" or let it slide because "commonly referred to"?
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

Fishercat wrote:I usually like Jeopardy games, but this one dragged like all hell get out. Timid wagering in the daily doubles, slow clue choices. Too bad Sean couldn't get going since it seemed like he could add some excitement in there.
Definitely! Maybe when Johnny Gilbert retires we'll get to see the occasional shot of Sean, the new voice of Jeopardy!

The third Daily Double was the only one that went for face value. The previous two went for less.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

opusthepenguin wrote:
That one I figured out. Wikipedia gives a very authoritative footnote saying the "s" ending is a "Variant according to the U.S. National Geospatial-Intelligence Agency". Good enough for me.

Where I need a ruling is on "rip tide" instead of "rip current". A Wiki search for "rip tide" redirects to "rip current". That article begins "commonly referred to by the misnomer rip tide". So ... neg because "misnomer" or let it slide because "commonly referred to"?
I can't see rip tide not being accepted.
billy pilgrim

Post by billy pilgrim »

I assume 'undertoad' is wrong. Sorry Garp.
She caught the Katy and left me a mule to ride.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

econgator wrote:
opusthepenguin wrote:

I can't see rip tide not being accepted.
Indeed, I've seen several "commonly referred to misnomers" let in on the show, two that come to mind for me are "Russia" for the USSR/Soviet Union, and "England" for the UK (except when the part of the UK that's being referred to isn't England; for example "this country went to war with Argentina over the Falkland Islands" "What is England" has had precedent of being right, but "In this country you'll find Westminster Abbey, Hadrian's Wall, and Loch Ness" "What is England" is incorrect, since Loch Ness is in Scotland (but all of them are in the UK))
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
Tehshigelisok
Not J! Contestant Material

Post by Tehshigelisok »

I also said riptide. And I knew the term only because I saw it in a Garfield strip once.

Between that and all the science I get from FoxTrot, who says you don't learn from comic strips?

(I also learned from Pearls Before Swine that I love outright demolition of the fourth wall.)
Really, I'm TenPoundHammer. Same as always.
thejeopardyfan
(Unranked)

Post by thejeopardyfan »

Paucle wrote: I actually JUST learned this. Although thinking dessert came next for 50 years, I might've pavloved that, so I'd have to be lucky enough to lose the buzzer battle and "oh yeah" the rebound.
Curious - Do you remember where you learned this? I too said dessert but wondered as I was responding whether that was too easy.
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

opusthepenguin wrote:
econgator wrote:
Paucle wrote:I think I'm finally getting this wagering thing. Her ideal was 9800, yes? Maximizes her take home if Dan misses and she gets, and she wins if they both miss.
Yep. Anything between 0 and 9800 is fine.
Are you trying to teach Paucle wrong in case you go up against him? :D $7,800 is the upper limit.

Here's how it works, Paucle. Dan had $16,200. Julie had $13,400.

Question 1: What if Julie doubles her score? She gets $26,800.

Question 2: So how much does Dan have to bet to get $26,801 ($1 more) if he gets it right? $10,601.

Most contestants know how to ask these two questions and come to a (usually) correct wager for the first place contestant. But second place contestants often seem unable to ask the all-important third question. See, if Dan gets it right, Julie's hosed. She can't catch him even if she doubles her score. Her only hope is for him to miss. So it is essential that she know the answer to the following.

Question 3: What will Dan have if he bets that $10,601 AND MISSES? $5,599.

If she gets that far, the final question is obvious.

Question 4: How much can Julie bet and still have $5,600 ($1 more than Dan if he misses)? $7,800.

(I'm guessing the $9,800 suggestion comes from writing the wrong numbers down or mis-subtracting or something.)

That makes $7,800 the maximum that Julie should bet. She could bet as little as $0 since Dan has to miss for her to win. And with Sean so far behind, she doesn't risk being overtaken. I'd recommend she bet at least enough to get past Dan's current score. There's always a small chance he'll hate the FJ category so much that he'll bet nothing. So she might want to wager at least $2,801. That will give her $16,201, one dollar more than Dan's score going into FJ.
Thank you. From the discussion of "$9,800" I thought I had written down the number wrong. Your analysis is of course spot on, and our dear contestant lost the game she should have won on the TS, because she can't figure out what to us is Wagering Strategy 101. Happens too often to raise my eyebrows much any more.

BTW this was an ugly game for me, with "stand and stare" my response to half of the DJ board. Oh well, tomorrow is another day.
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

trainman wrote:Until about a year ago, there was a golf equipment store here in the San Fernando Valley that was obviously a former A&P -- it still had the cupola on the roof that was a feature of late 1950s/early 1960s A&Ps. Unfortunately, the golf equipment store moved out, and CVS moved in and turned the building into an unrecognizable shell of its former self.
HockeyAnnouncerSean wrote:-I will always, always, ALWAYS be grateful for Winn-Dixie. Right before that, I saw my future of being in the red (and thus the shame of no FJ) flashing before my eyes and somehow I managed to ring in before the others...
Incidentally, last month Winn-Dixie was taken over by another Southern chain, Bi-Lo, but I'm not sure whether or not their stock is still trading separately as WINN, as mentioned in the clue. (Bi-Lo says they're keeping the Winn-Dixie name on the existing stores, but I guess we'll see how long that lasts.)
I heard that the A & P chain is to be bought out by the Stop & Shop Chain, to be known as the Stop & P stores.
Paucle
Trekardy! Writer

Post by Paucle »

mea culpa- I know I did the math right, but I did it all on a calc, no paper, and misremembered the first digit. If I had showed my work, I would've gotten almost full credit! (But my hypothetical podiumite self would've lost the game on my final answer written down as a wager! arrgh!)

As to where I learned that salad comes after the meal, I can't remember. Top Chef perhaps? online quiz? Definitely within the past month, and it threw me so off balance I.. OH! Yes, I'm pretty sure I paused Top Chef to look into it.

It was so puzzling, because even the fanciest restaurants I've been to offer soup/ salad first, before dinner. But tradition seems to indicate it follows the entree.
joepozz
Jeopardy! Contestant

Post by joepozz »

For all those who have posted about how slow or lethargic the game seemed, I'll repeat what I've said before. When there's a clue-jumper, the board will usually not get cleared.
Austin Powers

Post by Austin Powers »

joepozz wrote:For all those who have posted about how slow or lethargic the game seemed, I'll repeat what I've said before. When there's a clue-jumper, the board will usually not get cleared.
I agree. With all due respect to the poster who was on this show, if you're going to do it, it has to be because it works to your advantage. That apparently wasn't the case. Find a category you're good at, build up momentum, then maybe strategically hop to find a DD, or to get higher valued clues in a pinch.

Just hopping around, having someone else answer it, have that person go to the top of a new category altogether, then have you answer that, hop in the middle of a new category... yikes. If you got the DD, you wouldn't have even been in position to make great use of it. Build up some money, then DD hunt. At least it was mainly low valued clues that went unrevealed.
SkoolRN
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by SkoolRN »

xxaaaxx wrote:I don't think anyone else in the room understood why I got such a kick out of the cruciverbalist clue. I think this is the first (and perhaps only) place I've ever seen the word used, so, thanks J! community ;)
I'd never seen or heard the word before. I like it. Guessed right based on the Latin roots.
"Lefthanders have more enthusiasm for life. They sleep on the wrong side of the bed and their head gets more stagnant on that side."
Casey Stengel.
GregK
Contributor

Post by GregK »

I am surprised "cruciverbalist" was new to anyone. I learned it, as with so much else, from The Simpsons. In a 2008 episode:

Lisa Simpson: Guess what, mom? I'm a cruciverbalist!
Marge Simpson: Oh, Lisa, another religion? You know, you'll just drop the whole thing at college when you get a Jewish boyfriend.

I can't tell you how many clues can be related to a line from The Simpsons. A true enclopedia of cultural knowledge.
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

Tehshigelisok wrote:I also said riptide. And I knew the term only because I saw it in a Garfield strip once.
I also said riptide because that's what we always called it, growing up on the Gulf Coast. Has to be acceptable.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

Austin Powers wrote:
joepozz wrote:For all those who have posted about how slow or lethargic the game seemed, I'll repeat what I've said before. When there's a clue-jumper, the board will usually not get cleared.
I agree. With all due respect to the poster who was on this show, if you're going to do it, it has to be because it works to your advantage. That apparently wasn't the case. Find a category you're good at, build up momentum, then maybe strategically hop to find a DD, or to get higher valued clues in a pinch.

Just hopping around, having someone else answer it, have that person go to the top of a new category altogether, then have you answer that, hop in the middle of a new category... yikes. If you got the DD, you wouldn't have even been in position to make great use of it. Build up some money, then DD hunt. At least it was mainly low valued clues that went unrevealed.
I think it were the boards in general. We've had bouncers and cleared boards before. This was my worst game in a while, and there seemed to be a lot of wrongs and triple stumpers. I'd be curious what the statistics were in the end.

(And for completion's sake, I got Thor.)
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
GPHemsley
Just Starting Out on JBoard

Post by GPHemsley »

HockeyAnnouncerSean wrote:-"Layla" (groan...I heard "Harrison" and "Clapton" and something about a girl and the early adrenaline had me signaling before I knew what was happening)
I thought for sure you would have gotten those points back. Layla was also written for Pattie Boyd.
Gordon P. Hemsley