TD 385 - Old School (all questions revealed)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Ironhorse
Second Banana

TD 385 - Old School (all questions revealed)

Post by Ironhorse »

Welcome to TD 385. These questions are loosely tied to the theme "Old School".

Rules:
-Lowest point total wins. Your score is the number of people who give the same answer to your question
-You may DROP one question and take the SHEEP for one question (and receive points for the most common answer to that question) There will be no bonus points for not using your drop/sheep, so it is to your advantage to use your drop.
-You may optionally buy "sheep insurance" for one specific answer for +2 points. If your insurance "pays out" and the answer you choose is in fact a sheep, you will only receive the 2 points you spent on sheep insurance for that question.
-Please submit your answers here: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIp ... sp=sf_link Answers will be accepted until 7 PM EST/4 PM PST on Monday, June 25.
-No Google/Bing/Ask Jeeves/phone a friend/etc. Use your own head.

1) Identify one of the following with “old” in the name.

A. Sit-down pizza chain operated by CraftWorks Restaurants & Breweries
B. Maine beach town popular with summer tourists
C. Nashville-based music group that won the 2014 Grammy for Best Folk Album
D. San Francisco-based clothing retailer, owned by Gap Inc.
E. Cormac McCarthy novel adapted into a Best Picture winner
F. Public research university in Norfolk, Virginia
G. Language form in which Beowulf was written
H. Nursery rhyme involving knick-knacks and paddywhacks
I. Hymn written by evangelist George Bennard - “I’ll cherish the…”
J. 1944 comedy starring Cary Grant and featuring the Brewster family

2) Identify one of these living (as of the time of the creation of the game) people currently over the age of 90. (LETTER REQUIRED)
x999.png
x999.png (388.98 KiB) Viewed 7262 times
(OPTIONAL BONUS: For -1: Give the exact age in years of one of these people as of June 17, 2018. No penalty for an incorrect guess; you do not have to use the same person you answered above. Specify which person.)

3) Identify of one of these cities when provided its “old” name. (My goal here is not to weigh in on any sensitive geopolitical situations. I’m not looking for technicalities here; I recognize history and geography can be complicated but most of these clues are intended to correspond to major cities and those are the answers I’m looking for.)

A. Edo
B. Saigon
C. Constantinople
D. Pile of Bones
E. New Amsterdam
F. Leningrad
G. Rangoon
H. Peking
I. Hot Springs
J. York
K. Angora

4) When I was a poor college student, my friends and I bought a lot of Old Style beer, as it was one of the cheapest offerings at the liquor store near campus. Old Style is famously associated with the Chicago Cubs and Wrigley Field. Name an athlete who played (or currently plays) for a major Chicago sports team (Cubs, White Sox, Bulls, Bears, Blackhawks).

5) Provide the artist of one of these songs with “Old” in the title when provided the year of release.

A. The Night they Drove Old Dixie Down (1969)
B. Old Man (1972)
C. Same Old Song and Dance (1974)
D. (Remember the Days of the) Old Schoolyard (1977)
E. Old Time Rock and Roll (1978)
F. The Old Man Down the Road (1984)
G. Much Too Young (To Feel This Damn Old) (1989)
H. The Old Apartment (1996)
I. Old School Hollywood (2005)
J. Old Flame (2011)
K. Same Old Love (2015)

6) Name a book in the Old Testament of the King James Bible. For purposes of this question, I will not accept books in the Apocrypha (Maccabees, Tobit, Baruch, etc.)

7) One of my co-workers likes to wear this T-shirt.
x19.jpg
x19.jpg (102.26 KiB) Viewed 7282 times
Name a Looney Tunes/Merrie Melodies character.

8) One of Ernest Hemingway’s most well known works was The Old Man in the Sea. I couldn’t find enough well known people named Ernest, so identify one of these people whose first names begin with the “Er” syllable (at least in my Midwestern US accent). First and last names required. LETTER REQUIRED
A. American actor, McHale’s Navy
B. Title character in many slapstick movies, played by Jim Varney
C. American humorist, writer of column At Wit’s End
D. Bluegrass musician, namesake of a banjo finger picking technique
E. Bodybuilding villain in Where in the World is Carmen Sandiego
F. 20th century Chief Justice of the US Supreme Court
G. “Tennessee” country singer, Sixteen Tons
H. Retired New York Knicks star, known as “The Pearl”
I. Pioneer in nuclear physics and namesake of element 104
J. Current Minnesota Twins pitcher, probably best known for his stint with the Angels

9) The old, pre-corporate days of the Internet were certainly different, though some aspects of its culture have survived to this day. Give the meaning of one of these acronyms or other terms from this 1996 “Internet Users’ Glossary” ( https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc1983 ).

A. TTFN
B. PGP
C. MUD
D. TTL
E. ISDN
F. URL
G. RTSC (hint: I decided not to go with a similar one ending in FM)
H. OSPF
I. SNMP
J. WYSIWYG
K. WWW

10) As a child, I loved reading Great Illustrated Classics - those easy to read adaptations of classic tales with the illustrations on every other page. Name a work of fiction by Robert Louis Stevenson, H.G. Wells, Jules Verne, or Charles Dickens, all of whom had multiple adaptations within the series (your answer does not have to have been a part of the series).

11) My wife and stepdaughter were playing various children's card games tonight. Old Maid wasn't one of them, surprisingly. Identify the card game from an excerpt from its Wikipedia article. All of these games can be played with a standard 52 card deck. (And, yes, putting any of these texts into new Wikipedia articles is considered cheating! ;) )

(I recognize that some of these games are known by different names. I will give credit if you clearly have the right game in mind, but not if you name a different game altogether.)

A. If one player reaches the target (usually 61 or 121), the game ends immediately and that player wins. When the scores are level during a game, the players' pegs will be side by side, and it is thought that this gave rise to the phrase "level pegging".
B. The game forbids its players from explaining the rules, and new players are often informed that "the only rule you may be told is this one".
C. The player whose turn it is to play asks another player for his or her cards of a particular face value. For example, Alice may ask, "Bob, do you have any threes?"
D. At this point, any and all players may attempt to slap the pile with the hand they used to place the card; whoever covers the stack with his or her hand first takes the pile, shuffles it, and adds it to the bottom of their stack.
E. If one player takes all the penalty cards on one deal, that player's score remains unchanged while 26 penalty points are added to the scores of each of the other players.
F. Its major difference as compared to other Whist variants is that, instead of trump being decided by the highest bidder or at random, the ___ suit is always trumps, hence the name.
G. Players discard by matching rank or suit with the top card of the discard pile, starting with the player left of the dealer. If a player is unable to match the rank or suit of the top card of the discard pile and does not have a ___, they draw cards from the stockpile until they get a playable card.
H. Each player seeks the best five card poker hand from any combination of the seven cards of the five community cards and their own two hole cards.
I. Scum (or other names, commonly "a******","bum","homeless") - last place in the previous round. If scum is last place, the scum gets to go first to start the round.
J. A turn consists of a player placing a specific number of face-down cards into the middle of the table, from their hand, and making a claim as to what those cards' rank is (e.g. "two sevens"). They are permitted to lie about the rank of these cards, and the claim may have to be a lie if the player has no cards of the required ranks.

Edit: Yes, I know, I put the wrong TD number in the Google form.
Last edited by Ironhorse on Sun Jul 01, 2018 7:16 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Ironhorse
Second Banana

Re: TD 385 - Old School

Post by Ironhorse »

A list of players so far:
Spoiler
MarkBarrett
Saturnalia
Rackme32
Floridagator
bev nar
casketromance
clt013
Tybalteon
SenseiCAY
AFRET CMS
ElendilPickle
Coach P
Ironhorse
Second Banana

Post by Ironhorse »

Updated list (Friday night):
Spoiler
MarkBarrett
Saturnalia
Rackme32
Floridagator
bev nar
casketromance
clt013
Tybalteon
SenseiCAY
AFRET CMS
ElendilPickle
Coach P
Kirbstar
Gamawire
psgola
uncapitalized
threearruda
immaf
classicroadster
squarekara
badgerfellow
clprez
Singletons are still available for every question. I've sent out PMs to several players who forgot to specify letters for the two questions that require them (as well as for the bonus question).
Ironhorse
Second Banana

Post by Ironhorse »

Final bump (submissions close at 6 Central Time tomorrow). Singletons still available.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Considering the literally thousands of possible answers for 4, I wonder how many non-singletons there will be.
MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by MarkBarrett »

econgator wrote: Sun Jun 24, 2018 10:58 pm Considering the literally thousands of possible answers for 4, I wonder how many non-singletons there will be.
I went for a level 2 name in moving along with my answers and if someone else matches me I apologize to that person for not bothering to think up a tougher name.
Saturnalia
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Saturnalia »

MarkBarrett wrote: Sun Jun 24, 2018 11:06 pm
econgator wrote: Sun Jun 24, 2018 10:58 pm Considering the literally thousands of possible answers for 4, I wonder how many non-singletons there will be.
I went for a level 2 name in moving along with my answers and if someone else matches me I apologize to that person for not bothering to think up a tougher name.
I just picked a name I loved from childhood... I don't wanna say more before the reveal, but yes, there were many, many options.
Category 13
Wagering Viking

Post by Category 13 »

Saturnalia wrote:
MarkBarrett wrote:I went for a level 2 name in moving along with my answers and if someone else matches me I apologize to that person for not bothering to think up a tougher name.
I just picked a name I loved from childhood...
Me too. I'm lovin' that question.
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

looking forward to the revealing of that question...has there ever been a td that there were 100 percent singletons for a question?
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

Ironhorse wrote: Sun Jun 17, 2018 12:15 am 9) The old, pre-corporate days of the Internet were certainly different, though some aspects of its culture have survived to this day. Give the meaning of one of these acronyms or other terms from this 1996 “Internet Users’ Glossary” ( https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc1983 ).

A. TTFN
B. PGP
C. MUD
D. TTL
E. ISDN
F. URL
G. RTSC (hint: I decided not to go with a similar one ending in FM)
H. OSPF
I. SNMP
J. WYSIWYG
K. WWW
Why did you give the link to the glossary of terms? What am I missing?
Ironhorse
Second Banana

Post by Ironhorse »

morbeedo wrote: Mon Jun 25, 2018 4:44 pm
I wanted to establish that there was a clear definition of terms and that every answer I was looking for was the "common" answer to the question in early Internet culture, and to send a message that I'm not looking for off the wall answers since this is TD, not Acrophobia. I remember the controversy awhile back when somebody answered that "LOL" stood for "Land O Lakes", got credit, and some players were upset about that. The goal wasn't to get people to look it up. The rules establish that outside research isn't allowed, and all the answers to this TD are easily gettable through Google anyway, so having the link available didn't change that.
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

Ironhorse wrote: Mon Jun 25, 2018 5:14 pm
morbeedo wrote: Mon Jun 25, 2018 4:44 pm
I wanted to establish that there was a clear definition of terms and that every answer I was looking for was the "common" answer to the question in early Internet culture, and to send a message that I'm not looking for off the wall answers since this is TD, not Acrophobia. I remember the controversy awhile back when somebody answered that "LOL" stood for "Land O Lakes", got credit, and some players were upset about that. The goal wasn't to get people to look it up. The rules establish that outside research isn't allowed, and all the answers to this TD are easily gettable through Google anyway, so having the link available didn't change that.
Well, I clicked the link because it was there, so I'll drop or sheep that question :oops:
Ironhorse
Second Banana

Post by Ironhorse »

I apologize for not making this clearer.

I'd say you'd be fine as long as you didn't actually scroll to the answer you want to use.
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

Ironhorse wrote: Mon Jun 25, 2018 5:30 pm I apologize for not making this clearer.

I'd say you'd be fine as long as you didn't actually scroll to the answer you want to use.
I think I looked up 3 or 4 of them before I realized what I was doing. LOL. Total blond moment
9021amyers

Post by 9021amyers »

morbeedo wrote: Mon Jun 25, 2018 5:41 pm
Ironhorse wrote: Mon Jun 25, 2018 5:30 pm I apologize for not making this clearer.

I think I looked up 3 or 4 of them before I realized what I was doing. LOL. Total blond moment
I don’t know how Land O’ Lakes relates to that scenario.
squarekara
J! Reactionary

Post by squarekara »

9021amyers wrote: Mon Jun 25, 2018 5:55 pm

I don’t know how Land O’ Lakes relates to that scenario.
Recipes?
squarekara
J! Reactionary

Post by squarekara »

I thought we were supposed to go through the glossary too, and I'm a brunette. I thought the challenge was in selecting the non-sheep, not necessarily knowing all the terms.
Ironhorse
Second Banana

Post by Ironhorse »

Answers are closed! Working on the reveal now.
Ironhorse
Second Banana

Post by Ironhorse »

I'm an idiot :( I forgot to specify the penalty for incorrect answers in a copy-paste error. It was supposed to be the higher of 10 points or the sheep + 3.
Quantum
Valued Contributor

Post by Quantum »

Sadly, traveling and could not submit my entry on time for this round. And I knew that Henry Kissinger is 95!