TD 385 - Old School (all questions revealed)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Category 13
Wagering Viking

Re: TD 385 - Old School (Questions 1-8 revealed)

Post by Category 13 »

morbeedo wrote: Foghorn Leghorn - 7 (sheep)
tybalteon, Elendilpickle, badgerfellow, daddy dewdrop, Woof, morbeedo, guessonguessonguess

Ah shaddap!!!
I had forgotten that was one of his signature lines. I just had to go with him because I dig the name.

Figures, no one picked Speedy Gonzales but Slowpoke Rodriguez was not a singleton. Damm TD.
ElendilPickle
ToC Enabler

Post by ElendilPickle »

I missed that we could have picked a player who played for a Chicago team! :oops: I wouldn't have dropped that question...
Mildly surprised to see Urlacher a singleton, and no mentions of Butkus or Konerko. But only mildly; this was a wide-open question.
I would have picked Urlacher or Konerko; Urlacher is from New Mexico, and Konerko played for the Albuquerque Dukes.
squarekara
J! Reactionary

Post by squarekara »

Ironhorse, please note that my Gossamer answer is listed as a singleton, not with the other two responses. Sorry, guys, but that makes our furry friend just as popular as Bugs Bunny! Can you believe it?
CasketRomance
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by CasketRomance »

ElendilPickle wrote: Thu Jun 28, 2018 1:01 am I missed that we could have picked a player who played for a Chicago team! :oops: I wouldn't have dropped that question...
Mildly surprised to see Urlacher a singleton, and no mentions of Butkus or Konerko. But only mildly; this was a wide-open question.
I would have picked Urlacher or Konerko; Urlacher is from New Mexico, and Konerko played for the Albuquerque Dukes.
what about luc longley? went to uni of new mexico
Ironhorse
Second Banana

Post by Ironhorse »

squarekara wrote: Thu Jun 28, 2018 1:19 am Ironhorse, please note that my Gossamer answer is listed as a singleton, not with the other two responses. Sorry, guys, but that makes our furry friend just as popular as Bugs Bunny! Can you believe it?
Fixing it :oops:
Ironhorse
Second Banana

Post by Ironhorse »

CasketRomance wrote: Thu Jun 28, 2018 5:01 am
ElendilPickle wrote: Thu Jun 28, 2018 1:01 am I missed that we could have picked a player who played for a Chicago team! :oops: I wouldn't have dropped that question...
Or recent Bulls player Tony Snell.
SenseiCAY
Jeopardy Participant

Post by SenseiCAY »

No one with Speedy Gonzalez but Slowpoke gets 2...damn...

Also, I retract my previous idea that I should always pick the sports question - I was debating Ervin Santana vs. Eartha Brute, and evidently picked wrong.

Incidentally, Carmen Sandiego was probably my first quiz show that I vaguely understood when I was a kid - I watched Jeopardy because it came on before Wheel of Fortune, but to me, it was a bunch of numbers on a board.
Ironhorse
Second Banana

Re: TD 385 - Old School (Questions 1-10 revealed)

Post by Ironhorse »

9) The old, pre-corporate days of the Internet were certainly different, though some aspects of its culture have survived to this day. Give the meaning of one of these acronyms or other terms from this 1996 “Internet Users’ Glossary” ( https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc1983 ).

A. TTFN - Ta-ta for Now
B. PGP - Pretty Good Privacy
C. MUD - Multi-User Dungeon
D. TTL - Time to Live
E. ISDN - Integrated Services Digital Network
F. URL - Uniform Resource Locators
G. RTSC (hint: I decided not to go with a similar one ending in FM) - Read the Source Code
H. OSPF - Open Shortest Path First
I. SNMP - Simple Network Management Protocol
J. WYSIWYG - What You See is What You Get
K. WWW - World Wide Web

This question produced the biggest sheep of the tournament, and it wasn't even close. Understandably, a few of you took a pass on this one.

What You See is What You Get - 14 (sheep)
Tybalteon, Afret CMS, CoachP, uncapitalized, threearruda, immaf, badgerfellow, clprez, AmericanIdiot, sims, MattKnowles, spell4yr, jbeltz, guessonguessonguess

Ta-Ta for Now - 5
SenseiCAY, Elendilpickle, Kirbstar, classicroadster, 1stlvlthinker

Uniform Resource Locator(s) - 5
Rackme32, floridagator, merica, Peachbox, econgator

Time to Live - 3
squarekara, Commander Cody, Woof

World Wide Web - 3
psgola, Vintsanity, sillymoose

Multi-User Dungeon - 2
xxaaaxx, dinghammer

Pretty Good Privacy - 1 (singleton!)
daddy dewdrop

Simple Network Management Protocol - 1 (singleton!)
bev nar

Integrated Services Digital Network - 1 (singleton!)
CasketRomance

Drop - MarkBarrett, Saturnalia, clt013, Gamawire, twelvefootboy, 9021amyers, morbeedo

Incorrect - Enormous Jeans (Talk to you later)

10) Name a work of fiction by Robert Louis Stevenson, H.G. Wells, Jules Verne, or Charles Dickens, all of whom had multiple adaptations within the series (your answer does not have to have been a part of the series).

There was really only one land mine to avoid on this one, as there was quite a diversity of answers.

Pickwick Papers - 6 (sheep)
bev nar, casketromance, Afret CMS, xxaaaxx, econgator, Woof

David Copperfield - 3
floridagator, classicroadster, twelvefootboy

The Old Curiosity Shop - 3
AmericanIdiot, MattKnowles, sims

Great Expectations - 3
CoachP, spell4yr, guessonguessonguess

Bleak House - 2
clt013, Elendilpickle

Treasure Island - 2
tybalteon, 1stlvlthinker

Oliver Twist - 2
SenseiCAY, clprez

Martin Chuzzlewit - 2
Gamawire, dinghammer

Journey to the Center of the Earth - 2
threearruda, Peachbox

Kidnapped - 2
badgerfellow, 9021amyers

A Tale of Two Cities - 2
'uncapitalized, Vintsanity

Singletons:

MarkBarrett (Hard Times)
squarekara (Dombey and Son)
Saturnalia (The Mystery of Edwin Drood)
Commander Cody (The Mysterious Island)
Rackme32 (Nicholas Nickleby)
morbeedo (Little Dorrit)
Kirbstar (Around the World in 80 Days)
daddy dewdrop (The Shape of Things to Come)
Enormous Jeans (The Island of Dr. Moreau)
sillymoose (20,000 Leagues Under the Sea)
merica - A Child's Garden of Verses
immaf (From the Earth to the Moon)

Incorrect - jbeltz (Billy Budd) (by Herman Melville), psgola (A Christmas Story) (ooh, sorry...)

Standings after 10

dinghammer has vaulted back into the lead, and MarkBarrett has quietly crept into second place. Meanwhile, thanks to that massive sheep on Question 9, AFRET CMS has tumbled from first place to a tie for 21st. On the other end, Enormous Jeans has separated themselves from the pack quite effectively. We still have one question remaining (and it was a bit of a savage question), plus sheep insurance.

1) dinghammer - 25
2) MarkBarrett - 27
3_ 9021amyers
clt013
squarekara (all 30)
6) xxaaaxx - 31
7) floridagator
Kirbstar
sillymoose
Vintsanity (all 32)
11) SenseiCAY - 33
12) gamawire
Saturnalia - all 34
14) casketromance - 36
15) Commander Cody
daddydewdrop
Woof - all 37
18) threearruda - 38
19) morbeedo
twelvefootboy (all 39)
21) 1stlvlthinker
Afret CMS
econgator
merica
Rackme32 (all 40)
26) guessonguessonguess - 41
27) badgerfellow
immaf (all 42)
29) Elendilpickle - 43
30) uncapitalized - 44
31) AmericanIdiot
bev nar (all 45)
33) clprez - 47
34) MattKnowles
Peachbox
psgola (all 48)
37) sims - 49
38) CoachP - 50
39) Tybalteon - 52
40) jbeltz - 53
41) spell4yr - 55
42) classicroadster - 57
43) Enormous Jeans - 90
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

Damn! I’m glad I didn’t go with Bleak House! ;)
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

[delete]
Last edited by morbeedo on Sun Jul 01, 2018 8:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

[delete]
Last edited by morbeedo on Sun Jul 01, 2018 8:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ElendilPickle
ToC Enabler

Post by ElendilPickle »

CasketRomance wrote: Thu Jun 28, 2018 5:01 am
That's true; I'd forgotten that he played for the Bulls.

I'm not familiar with Tony Snell, but I don't have time anymore to follow UNM athletics. Does he still play for the Bulls?
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

got a singleton with ISDN and my trivia partner in pub trivia went with the sheep...odd since 3 weeks ago ISDN was the answer to the final question of that pub game
AFRET CMS
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by AFRET CMS »

Ironhorse wrote: Fri Jun 29, 2018 6:00 pm Meanwhile, thanks to that massive sheep on Question 9, AFRET CMS has tumbled from first place to a tie for 21st.
It was to be expected, but even so, DANG. But it was nice while it lasted.
I'm not the defending Jeopardy! champion. But I have played one on TV.
Ironhorse
Second Banana

Post by Ironhorse »

11) My wife and stepdaughter were playing various children's card games tonight. Old Maid wasn't one of them, surprisingly. Identify the card game from an excerpt from its Wikipedia article. All of these games can be played with a standard 52 card deck. (And, yes, putting any of these texts into new Wikipedia articles is considered cheating! ;) )

A. If one player reaches the target (usually 61 or 121), the game ends immediately and that player wins. When the scores are level during a game, the players' pegs will be side by side, and it is thought that this gave rise to the phrase "level pegging". - Cribbage
B. The game forbids its players from explaining the rules, and new players are often informed that "the only rule you may be told is this one". - Mao
C. The player whose turn it is to play asks another player for his or her cards of a particular face value. For example, Alice may ask, "Bob, do you have any threes?" - Go Fish
D. At this point, any and all players may attempt to slap the pile with the hand they used to place the card; whoever covers the stack with his or her hand first takes the pile, shuffles it, and adds it to the bottom of their stack. - Slapjack
E. If one player takes all the penalty cards on one deal, that player's score remains unchanged while 26 penalty points are added to the scores of each of the other players. - Hearts
F. Its major difference as compared to other Whist variants is that, instead of trump being decided by the highest bidder or at random, the ___ suit is always trumps, hence the name. - Spades
G. Players discard by matching rank or suit with the top card of the discard pile, starting with the player left of the dealer. If a player is unable to match the rank or suit of the top card of the discard pile and does not have a ___, they draw cards from the stockpile until they get a playable card. - Crazy Eights
H. Each player seeks the best five card poker hand from any combination of the seven cards of the five community cards and their own two hole cards. - Texas Hold Em
I. Scum (or other names, commonly "a******","bum","homeless") - last place in the previous round. If scum is last place, the scum gets to go first to start the round. - President
J. A turn consists of a player placing a specific number of face-down cards into the middle of the table, from their hand, and making a claim as to what those cards' rank is (e.g. "two sevens"). They are permitted to lie about the rank of these cards, and the claim may have to be a lie if the player has no cards of the required ranks. - I Doubt It/BS

Three players answered Egyptian Rat Screw in place of Slapjack. The clue as written does not apply to Egyptian Rat Screw (a game I played many rounds of at Boy Scout camp), because in that particular game, the cards are not shuffled after being slapped and added to the deck of the successful slapper. On the plus side, I was happy to see Mao so widely known.

Hearts - 8 (sheep)
MarkBarrett, Rackme32, casketromance, classicroadster, merica, AmericanIdiot, 9021amyers, dinghammer

Go Fish - 6
Elendilpickle, psgola, Vintsanity, 1stslvlthinker, morbeedo, guessonguessonguess

Crazy Eights - 5
floridagator, CoachP, gamawire, clprez, xxaaaxx

Mao - 4
Saturnalia, clt013, sims, sillymoose

Cribbage - 3
threearruda, immaf, squarekara

I Doubt It - 3
Tybalteon, twelvefootboy, MattKnowles

Spades - 2
spell4yr, AFRET CMS

Slapjack - 1 (singleton!)
Woof

Texas Hold Em - 1 (singleton!)
Kirbstar

Unused - President

Incorrect - SenseiCAY (Egyptian Rat Screw), uncapitalized (Egyptian Rat Screw), badger fellow (Egyptian Rat Screw), jbeltz (euchre), Enormous Jeans (canasta)

Sheep Insurance:

The following players bought sheep insurance.

SenseiCAY (question 2)
CoachP (question 9)
Psgola (question 9)
Uncapitalized (question 4)
Immaf (question 7)
Clprez (question 11)
AmericanIdiot (question 7)
Vintsanity (question 9)
Sims (question 5)
Sillymoose (question 9)
Spell4yr (question 10)
Jbeltz (question 2)
Morbeedo (question 4)
Guessonguessonguess (question 11)

Three players insured a sheep. morbeedo and uncapitalized both insured Michael Jordan on question 4, and MJ received 2 points, which is the same as the cost of sheep insurance, which ends up being a wash. CoachP insured the massive sheep on WYSIWYG and ends up recovering 12 of the 14 points lost there. All other players listed have 2 points added.

Final scoring

6. xxaaaxx - 36
7. Commander Cody
daddy dewdrop
floridagator (all 37)
10. 9021amyers
Saturnalia
sillymoose
Woof (all 38)
14. gamawire - 39
15. econgator
Vintsanity (all 40)
17. threearruda - 41
18. AFRET CMS
twelvefootboy (all 42)
20. CoachP - 43
21. casketromance - 44
22. bev nar
morbeedo (all 45)
24. 1stlvlthinker
SenseiCAY (all 46)
26. immaf - 47
27. merica
Peachbox
Rackme32 (all 48)
30. Elendilpickle
guessonguessonguess (all 49)
32. MattKnowles - 51
33. badgerfellow - 53
34. clprez
35. AmericanIdiot
sims
Tybalteon
uncapitalized (all 55)
39. psgola - 56
40. spell4yr - 59
41. classicroadster - 65
42. jbeltz - 66
43. Enormous Jeans - 101

Our fifth place winner, with 35 points, is MarkBarrett, who receives a cassette copy of Chumbawamba's 2000 album WYSIWYG.

Our fourth place winner, with 34 points, is clt013, who receives a copy of the DVD How to Win at Egyptian Rat Screw, narrated by Johnny Gilbert.

Our three way tie for first place, all with 33 points, are Dinghammer, Kirbstar, and squarekara, who will receive a 12 pack of Old Style if I happen to make it up to Chicago any time in the next five years.

Thanks for playing, everyone! Remember that tomorrow morning is the deadline for floridagator's TD 386.
Last edited by Ironhorse on Sun Jul 01, 2018 8:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Ironhorse wrote: Sun Jul 01, 2018 7:16 pm
Our fifth place winner, with 35 points, is MarkBarrett, who receives a cassette copy of Chumbawamba's 2000 album WYSIWYG.
Thanks. I can put that next to my Tubthumper cassette. ;)

Does the game "I Doubt It" have any other names? It was called something else when I played it. :)

Thanks for the game and congrats to the winners.
AFRET CMS
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by AFRET CMS »

Ironhorse wrote: Sun Jul 01, 2018 7:16 pm 18. AFRET CMS
twelvefootboy (all 42)
I guess twelvefootboy and I are the only ones in the group with the answer. Anyone have the question?
I'm not the defending Jeopardy! champion. But I have played one on TV.
Ironhorse
Second Banana

Post by Ironhorse »

MarkBarrett wrote: Sun Jul 01, 2018 7:45 pm
Does the game "I Doubt It" have any other names? It was called something else when I played it. :)

I also accepted Bullshit.
xxaaaxx

Re: TD 385 - Old School (all questions revealed)

Post by xxaaaxx »

I seem to have disappeared from the final standings, though doing the math I guess i finished 6th? Dang Dick van Dyke sheep :lol:

Thanks for the TD!
Ironhorse
Second Banana

Re: TD 385 - Old School (all questions revealed)

Post by Ironhorse »

xxaaaxx wrote: Sun Jul 01, 2018 8:48 pm I seem to have disappeared from the final standings, though doing the math I guess i finished 6th? Dang Dick van Dyke sheep :lol:

Thanks for the TD!
Yep, that's where you are. Sorry!