Monday, June 18, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

twelvefootboy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Monday, June 18, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by twelvefootboy »

(deleted content from up the thread)
seaborgium wrote: Tue Jun 19, 2018 1:16 pm I don't know why this is a response to my joke about increasing growth by a percentage.
Sorry, didn't mean to step on your punchline. :oops:

It was kind of a topical thread for my rant about misuse of the "dismal science" that is economics. I like to keep my sheep behavior limited to the TD's that boardies put out there. I'm still perplexed that TPTB would put out a faux-propaganda talking point that implies the Chinese are 4 times better off. They need to make us smarter, not dumber... :roll:
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

twelvefootboy wrote: Tue Jun 19, 2018 4:53 pm (deleted content from up the thread)
seaborgium wrote: Tue Jun 19, 2018 1:16 pm I don't know why this is a response to my joke about increasing growth by a percentage.
Sorry, didn't mean to step on your punchline. :oops:

It was kind of a topical thread for my rant about misuse of the "dismal science" that is economics. I like to keep my sheep behavior limited to the TD's that boardies put out there. I'm still perplexed that TPTB would put out a faux-propaganda talking point that implies the Chinese are 4 times better off. They need to make us smarter, not dumber... :roll:
The clue made no implications. If a viewer inferred from the clue that China was better off because its GDP growth rate was greater than the US's during that period, that's on the viewer, not TPTB.
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

Leander wrote: Tue Jun 19, 2018 3:42 pm
seaborgium wrote: Tue Jun 19, 2018 2:39 pm
morbeedo wrote: Tue Jun 19, 2018 2:31 pm Jumped straight to Rubens when they were looking for David - did the clue specify French artist?
No, but the title included Napoleon, Josephine, and Notre Dame.
And Rubens died 130 years before Napoleon was born, anyway.
LOL. I know all those French painters but for whatever reason I immediately thought of the Rubens room in the Louvre and the arrival of Marie de Medici at Marseille painting.
BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

Coryat: 32,400
43 R/1 W
DD: 1/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: Stephenie Meyer, chicken, Iraq (DD), wonk

I started on lava lamp, but quickly put the "die" piece in place to come up with the Magic 8-Ball.

I'm terrible at art, but I knew that Delacroix did Liberty Leading The People because it was the subject of one of the most "savage" questions in CashShow history. OTOH, I lost the DD Ninja Turtle coin flip, as Vitruvian Man led me to think that a sketch of an ideal head would be Leonardo.

I got it because WECIB, but I don't think of vanilla as a spice.

Thomas the Tank Engine inspired Starlight Express?! Whoa.

I loved Sara's gameplay, and I'm really glad I wasn't in her shoes on that last DD. Econ is a very strong area for me, so I would have wagered aggressively, but I somehow got "prospectors" stuck in my head rather than "speculators."
Sprinkles are for winners.
dinghammer
No Relation

Post by dinghammer »

BigDaddyMatty wrote: Wed Jun 20, 2018 2:25 am I'm terrible at art, but I knew that Delacroix did Liberty Leading The People because it was the subject of one of the most "savage" questions in CashShow history.
Oh yeah, I forgot about that clue. It was particularly frustrating for me because for a while, when a clue called for a French artist and I didn't know which one they wanted, I'd usually WAG Delacroix. It's never been right when I've done that, so I clammed this time. Almost exactly one month ago, I looked him up on Wikipedia (I thought it might be nice to know a single thing about him, since I only knew the name from how Hiroyuki Sakai was often described on Iron Chef), and I'm sure I saw Liberty Leading the People on that page. :oops:
heppm01
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by heppm01 »

twelvefootboy wrote: Tue Jun 19, 2018 11:32 am
seaborgium wrote: Tue Jun 19, 2018 1:08 am
Volante wrote: Mon Jun 18, 2018 10:36 pm When politicians talk about "increasing growth by 4% a year", for example, they mean GDP growth.
When politicians talk about "increasing growth by 4% a year" and growth is currently 4%, does that mean they want it at 4.16%?
The clue: ECONOMICS $400: From 1990 to 2015 this annual figure for the U.S. averaged about 2.5%; for China, about 10%

I find this annoying that J! writers are reinforcing a fake narrative devoid of context. If the goal is to make viewers less dumb, this is a terrible example, albeit technically true. It implies the Chinese have a 4X better economy to the average viewer, or that we are sputtering at 25%, take your pick.

Uh, the GDP (not the %growth) of China was about one-fourth of the U.S. in 1990 with 5X the people. Not hard to handle 10% FOR A WHILE. Why not note it is down below 7% since 2010? It's 7% of a BIGGER NUMBER, so the drop is not cataclysmic. A couple of years at 7% for the US would result in the expected boom/bust which hurts the little people and increases wealth inequality, one bubble at a time.

There's a lot of context to these numbers, and it is sad to cherry pick the most misleading conclusion from it.
I understand your point but I think the China reference was necessary for the clue. Without it, a 2.5% economic figure is too vague - in particular "inflation" would be a reasonable guess. But contrasting that with China's 10% figure would help one eliminate inflation as a guess. The writers could have pinned it to Japan's 0% (or negative? too lazy to look it up) GDP growth over the last couple decades but I think the China reference, being in the news more, is more appropriate.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

BigDaddyMatty wrote: Wed Jun 20, 2018 2:25 am I loved Sara's gameplay, and I'm really glad I wasn't in her shoes on that last DD. Econ is a very strong area for me, so I would have wagered aggressively, but I somehow got "prospectors" stuck in my head rather than "speculators."
That's a rough way to miss. "Prospectors" even meets the condition that it comes from Latin for "to look at". I can see how thinking of that possibility first could crowd out the correct response.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

So from what I'm gathering that GDP clue was just a garbage clue?
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Wed Jun 20, 2018 10:42 am So from what I'm gathering that GDP clue was just a garbage clue?
No
BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

seaborgium wrote: Wed Jun 20, 2018 10:47 am
TenPoundHammer wrote: Wed Jun 20, 2018 10:42 am So from what I'm gathering that GDP clue was just a garbage clue?
No
There was nothing wrong with the clue, but it could have been made a bit clearer by putting "growth" or "increase" in the clue and therefore keying GDP as the correct response.
Sprinkles are for winners.
OrangeSAM
(Unranked)

Post by OrangeSAM »

BigDaddyMatty wrote: Wed Jun 20, 2018 2:36 pm
seaborgium wrote: Wed Jun 20, 2018 10:47 am
No
There was nothing wrong with the clue, but it could have been made a bit clearer by putting "growth" or "increase" in the clue and therefore keying GDP as the correct response.
Y? As you said, there was nothing wrong with the clue.

As presented, GDP (by itself) could never be correct.

Somewhere upthread it was suggested that "GDP" warrented a BMS. That's just BS.
OCSam