Monday, June 18, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

floridagator
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Monday, June 18, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by floridagator »

If I had my way contestants would only be allowed to work down categories. (That would also eliminate the need for calling out dollar amounts.) There was no better illustration of that than the Louvre category today we're not only were the artists progressively more difficult but there were also verbal Clues at the top of the category that would have helped solve some of the lower ones.

I got Magic 8 Ball but only after thinking through some other toys. I briefly considered snow globes but knew that they dated to the 19th century, at least. It was the word die that helped me.

I also considered Trouble. Let me recite this jingle as best I can:

You've got trouble! Wait, don't run! This kind of trouble is lots of fun. Pop-o-matic pop the dice, pop a 6 and you move twice. Race your men around the track and try to send the others back.
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

Anachronism wrote: Mon Jun 18, 2018 10:44 pm Look at it this way... if a question asked for acceleration and you answered "speed" instead, would that warrant a BMS?

I was scratching my head over the initial acceptance of the answer. Growth alone would have been fine given the category. GDP is only a measure of the economy itself and whatever the unit, "10%" doesn't mean anything unless you're talking about comparing relative sizes of economies.
I can see a BMS being acceptable. The clue is asking for a percentage which GDP is not, so by itself 'GDP' could be an incomplete answer than flat out wrong. 'Interest rate' or 'inflation' or 'unemployment' would be various clear cut wrong answers. My guess is the sheet said (Gross Domestic Product, GDP) Growth or similar.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

opusthepenguin wrote: Mon Jun 18, 2018 11:04 pm I disagreed with that reversal. "Blow out" is a type of sale, just as "liquidation" is a type of sale. And a sale may be of both types simultaneously. But "blow out" is not a type of liquidation sale any more than "liquidation" is a type of blow out sale.
Some searching shows 'blow out' is used with and/or for 'close out' (or the synonymously equivalent but categorically wrong 'clearance sale') so while it might be technically wrong, it can be colloquially correct.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

My first impulse was Etch-a-Sketch due to mis-comprehension of the clue. I was looking for something Dyed but neither the liquid or the Dye worked. Then realizing it was "die", not "dye", a brief detour into the machine tool realm and then finally the singular form of dice. From there it was easy as Sheldon explained the construction of a magic 8-ball on an episode of Big Bang at one time.

TOUGH bet by Sara and (I assume) she weighed the same two guesses I did for the first DD. The whole Lawrence of Arabia narrative is (roughly) in that time frame, and I understand the pick. The Euphrates TOM seemed too easy, but then it was the second box clue.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

Volante wrote: Mon Jun 18, 2018 10:36 pm When politicians talk about "increasing growth by 4% a year", for example, they mean GDP growth.
When politicians talk about "increasing growth by 4% a year" and growth is currently 4%, does that mean they want it at 4.16%?
floridagator wrote: Mon Jun 18, 2018 11:20 pm If I had my way contestants would only be allowed to work down categories. (That would also eliminate the need for calling out dollar amounts.) There was no better illustration of that than the Louvre category today we're not only were the artists progressively more difficult but there were also verbal Clues at the top of the category that would have helped solve some of the lower ones.
You're just mad because you Pavlov'd Rembrandt upon reading "Dutch" in the Bosch clue.
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

40 R
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: Stephanie Meyer, Chicken, (Iraq), Jacque-Louis David, (Michelangelo), Capri, Thomas the Tank Engine, Chain Reaction, (Speculators)
Douglas Squasoni
davey

Post by davey »

seaborgium wrote: Tue Jun 19, 2018 1:08 am
floridagator wrote: Mon Jun 18, 2018 11:20 pm If I had my way contestants would only be allowed to work down categories. (That would also eliminate the need for calling out dollar amounts.) There was no better illustration of that than the Louvre category today we're not only were the artists progressively more difficult but there were also verbal Clues at the top of the category that would have helped solve some of the lower ones.
You're just mad because you Pavlov'd Rembrandt upon reading "Dutch" in the Bosch clue.
A better reason: Sara lost out on the DD in that category by going straight for the $1200 clue. The DD was at $800...
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

twelvefootboy wrote: Tue Jun 19, 2018 12:20 am My first impulse was Etch-a-Sketch due to mis-comprehension of the clue. I was looking for something Dyed but neither the liquid or the Dye worked. Then realizing it was "die", not "dye"
Same here, but I never realized my mistake. Etch-A-Sketch seemed wrong, but I had nothing else. My FJ performance the last couple weeks has been dreadful...
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

Volante wrote: Mon Jun 18, 2018 10:36 pm When politicians talk about "increasing growth by 4% a year", for example, they mean GDP growth.
When politicians talk about "increasing growth by 4% a year" and growth is currently 4%, does that mean they want it at 4.16%?
The clue: ECONOMICS $400: From 1990 to 2015 this annual figure for the U.S. averaged about 2.5%; for China, about 10%

I find this annoying that J! writers are reinforcing a fake narrative devoid of context. If the goal is to make viewers less dumb, this is a terrible example, albeit technically true. It implies the Chinese have a 4X better economy to the average viewer, or that we are sputtering at 25%, take your pick.

Uh, the GDP (not the %growth) of China was about one-fourth of the U.S. in 1990 with 5X the people. Not hard to handle 10% FOR A WHILE. Why not note it is down below 7% since 2010? It's 7% of a BIGGER NUMBER, so the drop is not cataclysmic. A couple of years at 7% for the US would result in the expected boom/bust which hurts the little people and increases wealth inequality, one bubble at a time.

There's a lot of context to these numbers, and it is sad to cherry pick the most misleading conclusion from it.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
Elijah Baley

Post by Elijah Baley »

60's kid here and the correct response probably would have never occurred to me. Part of it was my fault because I read "die" as "dye" and focused on the various toys that involved paint or ink or colored goo. Even with the right words, we didn't have that particular toy and I don't remember anyone else who had it either. "Agitator" would have thrown me off as well as I don't think you were supposed to shake it?

Another group of fun-to-watch contestants; Sara, in particular, seemed to be having a great time, even when Alex was taking money from her. That first DD miss was a shame, but again, where many/most folks might be at least momentarily crushed, Sara didn't skip a beat.
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

twelvefootboy wrote: Tue Jun 19, 2018 12:20 am My first impulse was Etch-a-Sketch due to mis-comprehension of the clue. I was looking for something Dyed but neither the liquid or the Dye worked. Then realizing it was "die", not "dye", a brief detour into the machine tool realm and then finally the singular form of dice. From there it was easy as Sheldon explained the construction of a magic 8-ball on an episode of Big Bang at one time.
This Is Kirk! wrote: Tue Jun 19, 2018 10:00 am Same here, but I never realized my mistake. Etch-A-Sketch seemed wrong, but I had nothing else. My FJ performance the last couple weeks has been dreadful...
I feel a little better now. Somehow got Etch-a-Sketch locked in and couldn't let go. Total derp for FJ.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

twelvefootboy wrote: Tue Jun 19, 2018 11:32 am
The clue: ECONOMICS $400: From 1990 to 2015 this annual figure for the U.S. averaged about 2.5%; for China, about 10%

I find this annoying that J! writers are reinforcing a fake narrative devoid of context. If the goal is to make viewers less dumb, this is a terrible example, albeit technically true. It implies the Chinese have a 4X better economy to the average viewer, or that we are sputtering at 25%, take your pick.

Uh, the GDP (not the %growth) of China was about one-fourth of the U.S. in 1990 with 5X the people. Not hard to handle 10% FOR A WHILE. Why not note it is down below 7% since 2010? It's 7% of a BIGGER NUMBER, so the drop is not cataclysmic. A couple of years at 7% for the US would result in the expected boom/bust which hurts the little people and increases wealth inequality, one bubble at a time.

There's a lot of context to these numbers, and it is sad to cherry pick the most misleading conclusion from it.
I don't know why this is a response to my joke about increasing growth by a percentage.
davey

Post by davey »

Elijah Baley wrote: Tue Jun 19, 2018 12:37 pm 60's kid here and the correct response probably would have never occurred to me. Part of it was my fault because I read "die" as "dye" and focused on the various toys that involved paint or ink or colored goo. Even with the right words, we didn't have that particular toy and I don't remember anyone else who had it either. "Agitator" would have thrown me off as well as I don't think you were supposed to shake it?

Another group of fun-to-watch contestants; Sara, in particular, seemed to be having a great time, even when Alex was taking money from her. That first DD miss was a shame, but again, where many/most folks might be at least momentarily crushed, Sara didn't skip a beat.
You had to shake it or the die - yes, I misread it too and spent an inordinate time wondering what toys with dye inside people were giving their kids - wouldn't move.
If I'd kept going down that track, my best response would have been "spray-paint can"... :roll:
Elijah Baley

Post by Elijah Baley »

davey wrote: Tue Jun 19, 2018 1:19 pm
Elijah Baley wrote: Tue Jun 19, 2018 12:37 pm 60's kid here and the correct response probably would have never occurred to me. Part of it was my fault because I read "die" as "dye" and focused on the various toys that involved paint or ink or colored goo. Even with the right words, we didn't have that particular toy and I don't remember anyone else who had it either. "Agitator" would have thrown me off as well as I don't think you were supposed to shake it?

You had to shake it or the die - yes, I misread it too and spent an inordinate time wondering what toys with dye inside people were giving their kids - wouldn't move.
If I'd kept going down that track, my best response would have been "spray-paint can"... :roll:
According to wiki - however reliable or not, as it may be - shaking wasn't recommended:
To use the ball, it must be held with the window initially facing down. After "asking the ball" a yes–no question, the user then turns the ball so that the window faces up, setting in motion the liquid and dye inside. When the die floats to the top and one face presses against the window, the raised letters displace the blue liquid to reveal the message as white letters on a blue background. Although many users shake the ball before turning it upright, the instructions warn against doing so to avoid white bubbles, which interfere with the performance of the ball itself.
That said, I don't see how someone designs a toy like that and expects kids to not shake it, but instead, simply calming turn it upside down.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

I too made the die/dye misread at first, but I went down a different path from there. My initial guess was the lava lamp. I was actually reasonably happy with it... except for the category. I wasn't sure about calling the lava lamp a toy. So I kept looking.
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

I've been to Capri recently but got flummoxed when Crete popped into my head. Beautiful island, but you really have to venture away from the touristy port area

Jumped straight to Rubens when they were looking for David - did the clue specify French artist? Also rushed to Rembrandt, and yes, in this instance, working top down would have helped, but Sarah got Bosch no problem. Anyway, the game would be so boring if players couldn't bounce

Good game, evenly matched players with just a few surprising triple stumpers

Speculators makes head-slapping sense, but I don't know my Latin roots well enough, so not in a million years

I also had Magic 8 Ball with a low level of confidence but WECIB?
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

morbeedo wrote: Tue Jun 19, 2018 2:31 pm Jumped straight to Rubens when they were looking for David - did the clue specify French artist?
No, but the title included Napoleon, Josephine, and Notre Dame.
squarekara
J! Reactionary

Post by squarekara »

If anyone wants to dispel the illusion:
Last edited by squarekara on Tue Jun 19, 2018 3:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
squarekara
J! Reactionary

Post by squarekara »

Elijah Baley wrote: Tue Jun 19, 2018 12:37 pm Another group of fun-to-watch contestants; Sara, in particular, seemed to be having a great time, even when Alex was taking money from her. That first DD miss was a shame, but again, where many/most folks might be at least momentarily crushed, Sara didn't skip a beat.
My husband has a J! audition next week, and I urged him to take note of how Sara handled her setbacks. Folks trying out in weeks ahead--keep it breezy, keep it moving.
Last edited by squarekara on Tue Jun 19, 2018 3:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Leander

Post by Leander »

seaborgium wrote: Tue Jun 19, 2018 2:39 pm
morbeedo wrote: Tue Jun 19, 2018 2:31 pm Jumped straight to Rubens when they were looking for David - did the clue specify French artist?
No, but the title included Napoleon, Josephine, and Notre Dame.
And Rubens died 130 years before Napoleon was born, anyway.