Tuesday, June 19, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Tuesday, June 19, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

Game Recap for Show #7787, 2018-06-19

CONTESTANTS
Ali Hasan, a secondary school teacher from New Westminster, British Columbia, Canada
Jessica Rea, a student from Carmichael, California
Deirdre Thomas, an attorney and editor from Seattle, Washington (whose 2-day cash winnings total $33,200)

OPENING REMARKS
Alex: Thank you, Johnny. Thank you, ladies and gentlemen. I'm often asked, "What's the best part of your job?" The best part is the 30 minutes I spent on stage each day with our contestants. I love spending time with bright people. Deirdre, Jessica, and Ali are three very bright people. Good luck. Here we go. Now prove me right. Here are the categories...

JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
THE SHAPE OF THINGS (4/4)
WORLD HISTORY (4/5, including 1 missed Daily Double)
OUR FAVORITE SUFF-ICS (4/5)
THAT REDUNDANCY IS REDUNDANT (5/5)
FRANK SINATRA (3/5)
CHAIRMAN OF THE BOARD (5/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Deirdre: 11 R (including 1 rebound), 2 W
Ali: 11 R, 4 W (including 1 DD)
Jessica: 3 R, 2 W

Clues revealed: 29
Triple Stumpers: 3
Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $1,400

JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Ali found the Daily Double on the 10th clue. Deirdre had $800, Jessica was in the red with -$200, and Ali was at $3,200. Ali made it a True Daily Double, wagering $3,200.

WORLD HISTORY $800: After a long journey, this was signed Nov. 21, 1620 to ensure the enactment of "just & equal laws"
(Ali: What is Magna Carta?)

SCORES AT THE FIRST BREAK
Deirdre: $2,200
Jessica: $1,400
Ali: $0

CONTESTANT INTERVIEWS

Alex: Ali Hasan is from British Columbia. You had to come to the United States to audition for Jeopardy!.

Ali: I was supposed to go to Seattle, because, you know, right next to British Columbia. And I had just gotten my citizenship because I'm originally from Bahrain. So I just became a Canadian citizen. When I went to the train station, they said they had to check to make sure I was who I said I was. And that took about five hours, by which time my train was long gone to Washington.

Alex: Okay. But you made it to the audition?

Ali: In San Francisco.

Alex: And more importantly, you made it here today.

Ali: That's right.

Alex: Good for you.

Ali: Thank you.

Alex: Jessica Rea, student from Carmichael, California. A doll collector.

Jessica: I am.

Alex: What kind of dolls?

Jessica: Well, I've been to over 30 different countries.

Alex: Wow!

Jessica: And I started traveling when I was really little, about 6 years old. So since I was a little girl, you know, I liked my dolls. And so I decided for every country I went to, I would try and get a doll with clothes in traditional dress, and sort of try to get a doll made in that country too. So I've got quite a collection.

Alex: Well, good for you. That's something.

Jessica: Thank you.

Alex: Deirdre Thomas is our champion, who has a daughter who is also a champion, I hear.

Deirdre: She is. My daughter, three years running, has been her school champion in the National Geographic Geo Bee and then has advanced to the state level, which requires that you score in the top 100 in a written test. And so, you know, maybe someday we will see her here on Jeopardy!.

Alex: Okay. That's something positive to look forward to.

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
OUR FAVORITE SUFF-ICS $600: Within linguistics, this -ics is the study of meaning
(Ali: What is semiotics?)
(Deirdre: What is heuristics?)

FRANK SINATRA $200: The son of a tavern owner, Francis Albert Sinatra was born in this New Jersey city in December 1915
(Ali: What is Atlantic City?)
(Jessica: What is Trenton?)
(Deirdre: What is Newark?)
(Alex: Less than a minute now.)

FRANK SINATRA $600: It was a very good 45 minutes it took for Ervin Drake to write this song that helped Frank make a comeback in the '60s
(Ali: What is "It Was A Good Year For The Roses"?)

SCORES AT THE END OF THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
Deirdre: $5,600
Ali: $1,800
Jessica: $1,200
Last edited by Archivists on Wed Jan 30, 2019 4:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Tuesday, June 19, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
THE 27 LANDLOCKED U.S. STATES (2/5, including 1 missed Daily Double)
KNOWN BY ONE NAME (5/5)
POKE OUT AN I (4/5)
ARCHITECTURE (4/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
MARRIED LITERATURE (5/5)
HOOK, LINE & SINKER (4/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Ali: 11 R, 2 W (including 1 DD)
Jessica: 9 R (including 1 DD), 3 W
Deirdre: 4 R, 0 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 5
Double Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $7,200

FIRST DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Jessica snagged the next Daily Double on the 11th clue. Deirdre had $8,400, Jessica had $5,200, and Ali was at $3,800. Jessica wagered $1,800.

ARCHITECTURE $1200: Instead of Doric, seen here, columns at Athens' temple of Athena Nike are in this order, named for a region in Asia Minor

SECOND DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
It was Ali who snatched up the last Daily Double of the game on the 16th clue. Deirdre had $8,400, Jessica had $6,600, and Ali was at $6,600. Ali wagered $1,800.

THE 27 LANDLOCKED U.S. STATES $800: Word shared in the name of 2 of the 27
(Ali: What is south?)

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND
POKE OUT AN I $1200: Without its "I", a synonym for "landed" becomes this computer key
(Alex: You take the "I" out of "alit", you come up with [*].)

THE 27 LANDLOCKED U.S. STATES $400: It's alphabetically first
(Jessica: What is... Illinois?)
(Ali: Uh, what is... Alabama?)

ARCHITECTURE $1600: In the early 1950s Louis Kahn designed his first important work: this Ivy League university's art gallery
(Jessica: What is Brown?)

THE 27 LANDLOCKED U.S. STATES $2000: Bordering a Great Lake but no ocean, it was the first on the list to become a state
(Jessica: What is Ohio?)

HOOK, LINE & SINKER $2000: Gordie Howe, Sid Abel & Ted Lindsay formed the "Production Line" for this NHL squad

SCORES ENTERING FINAL JEOPARDY!
Ali: $10,800
Jessica: $10,200
Deirdre: $10,000

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
20th CENTURY AMERICAN HISTORY

VENUSIAN MONOLOGUES/MARTIAN CHRONICLES
Four-fifths for first place. Stratton's Dilemma.
Ali: Wager $9,601 to cover Jessica.
Jessica: You ought to wager to cover Deirdre, but since you cannot win on a Triple Stumper if you do so, you ought to choose between wagering $0 or maximizing your winnings with a bet of all $10,200. You are in Stratton's Dilemma, calling for a wager of more than $9,800 (to shut out Deirdre) or less than $9,000 (risking the possibility of being passed from behind by Deirdre). Go with the smaller bet if you believe a Triple Stumper is more likely than a singleton miss by Ali.
Deirdre: You ought to try wagering between $201 and $8,800. This will top a $0 wager by Jessica while still beating Ali and Jessica on the Triple Stumper (should Ali wager to cover Jessica's doubled score and Jessica wager to cover your doubled score).

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
On Nov. 3, 1948 he sent a congratulatory telegram, then told reporters, "I was just as surprised as you"

FINAL SCORES
Deirdre: $10,000 - $9,999 = $1 (Who was Truman?) (3rd place: $1,000)
Jessica: $10,200 - $8,500 = $1,700 (Who is Harry Truman?) (2nd place: $2,000)
Ali: $10,800 + $9,601 = $20,401 (Who is Dewey?) (New champion: $20,401)
(Alex: [To Deirdre] You picked the winner, the man who received the congratulatory telegram.)

Total Potential Lach Trash: $8,600

GAME DYNAMICS

CORYAT SCORES
Ali: $15,800, 22 R, 6 W (including 2 DDs)
Deirdre: $10,000, 15 R, 2 W
Jessica: $9,600, 12 R (including 1 DD), 5 W
Combined Coryat: $35,400

BATTING AVERAGES
Ali: 23/60 = .383
Deirdre: 15/58 = .259
Jessica: 12/59 = .203
Team: 50/63 = .794

MISCELLANEOUS INTERESTING CLUES
THAT REDUNDANCY IS REDUNDANT $600: The NFL says the ball is dead if the runner's this 2-word phrase is stopped
(Jessica: What is forward motion?)

CHAIRMAN OF THE BOARD $600: A member of Ayn Rand's inner circle, this jazz musician became chairman of the Fed's board of governors

FRANK SINATRA $400: She became Frank's wife in 1966, 2 years before starring in "Rosemary's Baby"

FRANK SINATRA $1000: Frank won an Oscar for "From Here to Eternity" & got a 2nd acting nomination for this film about drug addiction
[The end-of-round signal sounds.]

POKE OUT AN I $1600: Poke out the "I" from a ghostly apparition to get this intense anger
(Alex: From "wraith".)

POKE OUT AN I $2000: Drop the "I" from the start of a word for one's likeness to get this synonym for sorcerer
(Alex: From "image".)

HOOK, LINE & SINKER $1200: Orel Hershiser's sinker helped bring him the 1988 N.L. Cy Young Award & this team a World Series title
(Alex: With less than a minute now.)

CORRECT RESPONSES
the Mayflower Compact
semantics
Hoboken
"It Was A Very Good Year"
Ionic
Dakota
alt
Arizona
Yale
Pennsylvania
the Detroit Red Wings
Thomas Dewey
forward progress
(Alan) Greenspan
(Mia) Farrow
The Man with the Golden Arm
wrath
mage
the Dodgers
Last edited by Archivists on Wed Jan 30, 2019 4:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by theFJguy »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
20th CENTURY AMERICAN HISTORY

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
On November 3, 1948 he sent a congratulatory telegram, then told reporters, “I was just as surprised as you”

Deirdre Thomas: 10000-9999=1
Jessica Rea: 10200-8500=1700
Ali Hasan: 10800+9601=20401 (New Champ)

Correct response:
Spoiler
(Thomas) Dewey (Deirdre – Truman) (Jessica – Harry Truman)

Daily Doubles
Ali: 3200-3200
Jessica: 5200+1800
Ali: 6600-1800

Coryats
Deirdre: 10000
Jessica: 9600
Ali: 15800

Combined: 35,400

Scores at the end of the Jeopardy! Round
Deirdre: 5600
Jessica: 1200
Ali: 1800
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Alex’s opening mentioning “bright people” had me expecting a poor performance from the players while fortunately a 35,400 combined Coryat and 60/61 clues played was respectable.

The triple miss of New Jersey cities was good for a laugh with Atlantic City, Newark, & Trenton named in FRANK SINATRA.

The FJ! clue gave me multiple false starts as my year-ometer was off when the first name that came to me was Chuck Yeager. 1947 dummy. Next I Pavlov-ed Israel off 1948. Sure, that fits in the category. Wake up Mark. Oh, the election! I wrote “Harry T” before making the necessary switch. Like yesterday it was not a fully clean solve, but there was plenty of time left to enjoy the music with the pen down.

Alex called out Ali for not liking the category and of course what happens is his sole solve.

The best player won today although Ali’s path getting there was quite rough with the unfortunate missed audition story and two missed Daily Doubles about things of an American background. Perhaps tomorrow will have a Canadian category to even things out?
AndyTheQuizzer
Lots and Lots of Interviews

Post by AndyTheQuizzer »

So, how many people tonight do we think will get Mad Online because they forgot the LANDLOCKED STATES part of the category and think Alabama should have been the correct answer to the $400 clue
Andy Saunders
J! Archive Founding Archivist
Publisher - The Jeopardy! Fan
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

OntarioQuizzer wrote: Tue Jun 19, 2018 5:39 pm So, how many people tonight do we think will get Mad Online because they forgot the LANDLOCKED STATES part of the category and think Alabama should have been the correct answer to the $400 clue
Already four on the Facebook page. I don’t do Twitter or Reddit.

I bounced between the right and wrong person on FJ but landed on the right one.

Two bad FJ bets. The one good one won the game.
squarekara
J! Reactionary

Post by squarekara »

MarkBarrett wrote: Tue Jun 19, 2018 4:05 pm Alex called out Ali for not liking the category and of course what happens is his sole solve.
Ali's poker face before his FJ reveal was priceless! Glad things worked out for him after his audition ordeal.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Sinatra for $200 was a terrible clue. All three contestants "went for the obvious" when Pavloving "New Jersey city" and all three missed. I probably would've needed at least eight more guesses before getting to Hoboken.

That was an easy World History category. Can't say I've heard of Robespierre, which was my only miss.

I bit on the Ohio negbait for "first landlocked state that borders a great lake" and was flabbergasted when it was wrong. That clue definitely belonged at the bottom box, although I thought the "Dakota" DD was pretty tricky too since I was certain NJ was landlocked and said "new". (Spoilers: it isn't. Atlantic City, duh. Neither is New Hampshire landlocked.)

Two people being surprised at the outcome of something in the 40s? Somehow my mind went instantly to "Dewey defeats Truman", so I put down Dewey without any doubts.

Lach Trash: Semantics, "alt", Arizona
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Tue Jun 19, 2018 7:29 pm Sinatra for $200 was a terrible clue. All three contestants "went for the obvious" when Pavloving "New Jersey city" and all three missed. I probably would've needed at least eight more guesses before getting to Hoboken.
Definitely YEKIOD. I knew it was Hoboken because that's just one of the things "everybody" knows. I suspect that the younger you are the less likely that this factoid is part of your brain clutter.
Cat Hammarskjold
Feline Secretary-General

Post by Cat Hammarskjold »

Most geographic sources consider the Delaware River from Philadelphia downstream to be part of the Atlantic Ocean, and therefore not making Pennsylvania landlocked.

I'm glad Ali got the Joe Frazier question. Maybe they'll have one on Sonny Liston or George Foreman tomorrow.
Wpwells

Post by Wpwells »

Reporters surprised in 1948 = Dewey defeats Truman. Now which one would’ve sent a congratulatory telegram? Dewey! 2/2
hscer

Post by hscer »

Kind of an evil final. Looked like all 3 contestants wrote down their answers instantly. I first went to Truman--and sometimes winners will "congratulate" their opponents on a good campaign--but figured it ultimately had to be Dewey.
Now Completed: TD 224 - Airplane!
Coming Eventually: hscer's 3rd TD

Twitter: http://twitter.com/hscer
Sporcle: http://www.sporcle.com/user/hscer
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

I initially expected a reversal when Ali clearly said "Titia" for "Titian". There was no trace of a final N whatsoever. I replayed it several times. Then I turned on the captions and saw that the captioner had him saying "Titian". So I realized there wasn't going to be a reversal.

Got stuck on that landlocked states with same word DD. I thought through New, North, and South, eliminating all three. Somehow never realized I had the right response in mind the whole time and just couldn't connect the dots. I was also distracted by the Kansas/Arkansas connection. I knew it was wrong but it took up some thinking time.

This was a good FJ. Had it been a DD, I'm not sure I would've put the information together fast enough. (And had it been a regular clue, I'd have clammed, though I might have picked up Dewey on a rebound off Truman.) But as an FJ, plenty of time to get to the right response and then check and double-check my work.

Is Ali our first former Bahrainian contestant?
bigblue999
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by bigblue999 »

I said Truman instantly, but then read the clue again and then figured "oh wait it has to be Dewey". Who sends a congratulatory telegram to themselves :lol:
hscer wrote: Tue Jun 19, 2018 7:59 pm Kind of an evil final. Looked like all 3 wrote down their answers instantly. I first went to Truman--and sometimes winners will "congratulate" their opponents on a good campaign--but figured it ultimately had to be Dewey.
Not really, it pays off to read the question carefully, which Deirdre and Jessica did not do.
rmfromfla

Post by rmfromfla »

(post deleted,...and embarrassed!)
Last edited by rmfromfla on Tue Jun 19, 2018 8:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jeff-thecdboy

Post by Jeff-thecdboy »

^Yes, there is, with Erie, PA viewers watching Jeopardy! on WSEE-TV 35 (CBS affiliate).
AndyTheQuizzer
Lots and Lots of Interviews

Post by AndyTheQuizzer »

rmfromfla wrote: Tue Jun 19, 2018 8:09 pm Before we go on any further....

Isn't there a town in Pennsylvania called Erie, which happens to be on the shoreline of the lake of the same name (and the stretch of I-90 between Ohio & upstate New York?)

Now back to regularly scheduled postings....
Lake Erie is a salt water body of water? news to me...
Andy Saunders
J! Archive Founding Archivist
Publisher - The Jeopardy! Fan
Ironhorse
Second Banana

Post by Ironhorse »

OntarioQuizzer wrote: Tue Jun 19, 2018 5:39 pm So, how many people tonight do we think will get Mad Online because they forgot the LANDLOCKED STATES part of the category and think Alabama should have been the correct answer to the $400 clue
I missed the category but knew I had to be missing something obvious.
Ironhorse
Second Banana

Post by Ironhorse »

I instagot Truman. Five seconds later... "No! No! It's Dewey!"
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

Magna Carta for 1620 was a particularly bad guess.
Kept confusing landlocked states for non-perimeter states, talked myself out of Arizona and the Dakotas because of that. Also fell for Ohio.
FJ was an instaget.