Wednesday, June 20, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Wednesday, June 20, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

Game Recap for Show #7788, 2018-06-20

CONTESTANTS
Tyler Dilts, a novelist and teacher from Long Beach, California
Lindsay Garces, an insurance underwriter from East Boston, Massachusetts
Ali Hasan, a secondary school teacher from New Westminster, British Columbia, Canada (whose 1-day cash winnings total $20,401)

OPENING REMARKS
Alex: Thank you, Johnny. Hi, everyone.You would think that because a great deal of our material on Jeopardy! is about the United States, that a player from Canada, a foreigner, Ali Hasan, would be at a disadvantage. But yesterday, he was the only one who came up with the correct response in Final Jeopardy!. Lindsay and Tyler, be warned. Let's go to work. What are the categories that await you?

JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
THAT'S A GOOD-LOOKIN' TITLE WORD (5/5)
25 YEARS AGO: 1993 (4/5, including 1 missed Daily Double)
IT'S TOTALLY TUBULAR (4/5)
I GIVE YOU EVERYTHING... (4/5)
THE SUN, THE MOON, THE STARS (3/4)
& THIS IS THE THANKS I GET?! (5/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Ali: 10 R, 2 W (including 1 DD)
Tyler: 7 R (including 2 rebounds), 0 W
Lindsay: 8 R, 2 W

Clues revealed: 29
Triple Stumpers: 3
Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $2,000

SCORES AT THE FIRST BREAK
Lindsay: $3,800
Tyler: $1,400
Ali: $1,200

CONTESTANT INTERVIEWS

Alex: Tyler Dilts is from Long Beach, here in southern California. He's a novelist, a teacher, and was once... a train robber.

Tyler: Yes. I worked my way through college robbing trains at a local amusement park in Orange County. They have an authentic restored steam locomotive. And every hour or so, it rides around the park, and a couple of...

Alex: Bandits?

Tyler: Yeah, a couple bandits.

Alex: Desperadoes.

Tyler: A couple of desperadoes hop on and rob the train.

Alex: Did you have the beard then, also?

Tyler: I did have the beard then also.

Alex: Oh, good.

Tyler: Haven't had it continuously, but it was there then; it's there now.

Alex: Okay.

Alex: Lindsay Garces from East Boston, Massachusetts. Is it true that when you were just a child, you thought Alex Trebek was your father?

Lindsay: I did. Back in the '90s, you and my dad had the same glasses and same mustachioed look, and he would be at work and not come home until after Jeopardy! was over. So I never saw you two in the same room at the same time.

Alex: Okay, let's move on.

Alex: Ali Hasan from British Columbia. What's this about your daughter's middle name being Titanic?

Ali: That's right. My daughter Frankie's middle name is Titanic, because my wife Nikki--she had a godmother who was born on the day the Titanic sank. And for whatever reason, her parents decided that was something that they wanted to commemorate, and they gave her the middle name Titanic. And my wife just continued the tradition.

Alex: All right.

JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Ali found the Daily Double on the 20th clue. Ali had $3,000, Lindsay had $3,000, and Tyler was at $2,200. Ali wagered $2,000.

25 YEARS AGO: 1993 $800: A major gun control measure known as this was signed into law in November
(Ali: What is Christopher Law?)

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
IT'S TOTALLY TUBULAR $800: As seen here, this pasta, similar to cannelloni, often gets stuffed with spinach & ricotta
(Lindsay: What is rigatoni?)

I GIVE YOU EVERYTHING... $400: This Aussie monotreme's unusual head is streamlined--each ear being housed in a groove together with a small eye

THE SUN, THE MOON, THE STARS $800: Just over 4 light years from Earth (hi, neighbor!), this triple star's motion towards our sun is 12.5 miles per second

SCORES AT THE END OF THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
Tyler: $4,400
Lindsay: $3,600
Ali: $3,000
Last edited by Archivists on Wed Jan 30, 2019 4:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Wednesday, June 20, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
THEY TURNED MY BOOK INTO A MOVIE (3/5)
BODIES OF WATER (3/5)
WHO ESSENTIAL MEDICINES (4/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
SPORTS DOCTORS (3/5)
BEFORE HUMANITY (4/5)
3 P's, PPPLEASE (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Tyler: 9 R, 0 W
Ali: 10 R (including 1 DD), 1 W
Lindsay: 3 R (including 1 DD), 0 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 8
Double Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $12,400

FIRST DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Ali snagged the next Daily Double on the 14th clue. Ali had $7,000, Lindsay had $4,400, and Tyler was at $8,400. Ali wagered $2,000.

3 P's, PPPLEASE $1600: 15-letter adjective described the time after a nuclear war

SECOND DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
It was Lindsay who snatched up the last Daily Double of the game on the 27th clue. Ali had $11,400, Lindsay had $5,200, and Tyler was at $13,200. Lindsay wagered $3,000.

WHO ESSENTIAL MEDICINES $1200: "Activated" this, in powder form, is an essential poisoning antidote

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND
THEY TURNED MY BOOK INTO A MOVIE $2000: "The Iron Giant"

THEY TURNED MY BOOK INTO A MOVIE $1600: "The Yearling"

BEFORE HUMANITY $2000: Discovered in 2014, the baby skull dubbed "Alesi" has human-life ear tubes but a small snout like this lesser ape

BODIES OF WATER $800: Lake Ontario is 326' below Lake Erie, so serious water will fall at some point in this river connecting the 2 lakes

BODIES OF WATER $1600: "If you ever go across the sea to Ireland", check out this bay on the west coast, immortalized in song

SPORTS DOCTORS $2000: Fullback Doc Blanchard was "Mr. Inside" for this school's undefeated 1944-46 Black Knights
(Ali: Who is Loyola?)

WHO ESSENTIAL MEDICINES $1600: WHO says to use antileprosy meds only in combination to prevent emergence of this, which makes them ineffective

SPORTS DOCTORS $800: For the 1984 Mets, 19-year-old Dwight Gooden, "AKA "Dr. K", notched 276 of these
(Alex: "K" in baseball for [*].)

SCORES ENTERING FINAL JEOPARDY!
Ali: $13,400
Tyler: $13,200
Lindsay: $8,200

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
CLASSICAL MUSIC

VENUSIAN MONOLOGUES/MARTIAN CHRONICLES
Four-fifths for first place.
Ali: Wager $13,001 to cover Tyler.
Tyler: You have to wager $3,201 to cover Lindsay's doubled score, but certainly no more than $4,999, so as to force Lindsay to be right to have a chance at winning.
Lindsay: Consider risking between $5,001 and $7,799. This will top a $0 wager by Tyler while still beating Ali on the Triple Stumper (should Ali wager to cover Tyler's doubled score).

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
Not in the initial score, the feature giving this symphony its byname was a whim added by the composer close to its 1792 debut

FINAL SCORES
Lindsay: $8,200 - $7,000 = $1,200 (What is enigma) (3rd place: $1,000)
Tyler: $13,200 - $0 = $13,200 (What) (2nd place: $2,000)
Ali: $13,400 + $13,001 = $26,401 (What is the Surprise Symphony?) (2-day champion: $46,802)
(Alex: [To Ali] By Joseph Haydn.)

Total Potential Lach Trash: $14,400

GAME DYNAMICS

CORYAT SCORES
Ali: $15,000, 20 R (including 1 DD), 3 W (including 1 DD)
Tyler: $13,200, 16 R, 0 W
Lindsay: $6,400, 11 R (including 1 DD), 2 W
Combined Coryat: $34,600

BATTING AVERAGES
Ali: 21/60 = .350
Tyler: 16/58 = .276
Lindsay: 11/59 = .186
Team: 48/63 = .762

MISCELLANEOUS INTERESTING CLUES
I GIVE YOU EVERYTHING... $800: The word angel is the equivalent of the Hebrew word "malakh", meaning this; the Greek god Hermes was one
(Lindsay: What is a king?)

THE SUN, THE MOON, THE STARS $200: The gas & dust of a dying star called the Cat's Eye Nebula were caught in a picture taken by this instrument

I GIVE YOU EVERYTHING... $200: This phrase meaning to do good deeds for strangers who then do the same became the title of a 2000 movie
(Ali: What is pass it forward?)

I GIVE YOU EVERYTHING... $1000: In 2008 this African country introduced a $100 billion banknote; it was worth one U.S. dollar
(Alex: With less than a minute now.)

THE SUN, THE MOON, THE STARS $600: The element makes up about 72% of the sun's mass
[The end-of-round signal sounds..]

BEFORE HUMANITY $800: This fossilized tree resin can yield very ancient lizards trapped in it with their soft tissue intact
(Alex: You saw Jurassic Park.)

CORRECT RESPONSES
the Brady Bill
manicotti
duck-billed platypus
Alpha Centauri
post-apocalyptic
charcoal
Ted Hughes
Marjorie Kinnan Rawlings
the gibbon
the Niagara River
Galway Bay
Army
resistance
strikeouts
the "Surprise" Symphony
a messenger
the Hubble Telescope
pay it forward
Zimbabwe
hydrogen
amber
Last edited by Archivists on Wed Jan 30, 2019 4:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by theFJguy »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
CLASSICAL MUSIC

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
Not in the initial score, the feature giving this symphony its byname was a whim added by the composer close to its 1792 debut

Ali Hasan: 13400+13001=26401 (2x = $46,802)
Lindsay Garces: 8200-7000=1200
Tyler Dilts: 13200-0=13200

Correct response:
Spoiler
”Surprise Symphony” (Haydn's Symphony No. 94 in G Major) (Lindsay – Enigma) (Tyler – What)

Daily Doubles
Ali: 3000-2000
Ali: 7000+2000
Lindsay: 5200+3000

Coryats
Ali: 15000
Lindsay: 6400
Tyler: 13200

Combined: 34,600

Scores at the end of the Jeopardy! Round
Ali: 3000
Lindsay: 3600
Tyler: 4400
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Uncle Alex’s opening: You would think that because a great deal of our material on Jeopardy! is about the United States that a player from Canada, a foreigner, Ali Hasan, would be at a disadvantage, but yesterday he was the only one who came up with a correct response in Final Jeopardy! Lindsay and Tyler, be warned.

Ali ran into another DD about American history and after today’s game he is at 1 for 4 on DDs. That’s ok as the 100% on the FJ! clues is making the difference.

For the Alex drinking game, the host of course emphasized American dollars for Ali’s winnings.

CLASSICAL MUSIC is very much a hit & miss type category for me. I proved it with the solve as I figured out what the clue was hinting at while there is no way I would have recalled the composer in time.

A nice win by Ali having the narrow lead for the FJ! round and getting the sole solve for the big pay day. It looked like Tyler knew what he was doing with the zero wager as he was not able to guess anything.

Lindsay’s “Enigma” had me checking the Archive and I found multiple hits to file away for future clues:
Spoiler

#7285, aired 2016-04-22 CLASSICAL MUSIC $1000: The theme of the piece is the true mystery of these "Variations" by Edward Elgar
#5951, aired 2010-06-28 MUSIC $1000: This composer's "Enigma Variations" contain cryptic references to his friends that he never revealed
#5571, aired 2008-11-24 "E" FOR EFFORT $1000: Elgar's Opus 36 variations are also known by this "mysterious" name
#4999, aired 2006-05-11 RIDDLE ME THIS $1200: He created the musical riddles called the "Enigma Variations"
#3625, aired 2000-05-12 BALLET $1000: This "Pomp And Circumstance" composer is a character in the ballet named for his "Enigma Variations"
#2524, aired 1995-07-20 MUSIC $200: A composition of several restatements of a theme; famous ones are the "Enigma" & "Goldberg"
Ironhorse
Second Banana

Post by Ironhorse »

Ran Sports Doctors. I'd never heard of "Dr. Strangeglove", but WECIB? If there's any poll spots open, I'd be curious how well that one does.

FJ: :mrgreen:
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Never heard of the Surprise Symphony but wasn’t surprised I got this one wrong.

I have LL to thank for getting one clue right. I got it right yesterday but it helped to have it fresh in my mind.

I ran sports docs as well.

Tyler’s bet put him at risk of getting passed but if you really hate the category it was the right move. If I know a classical music clue then it probably isn’t that tough so the leader likely knows it as well.
Ironhorse
Second Banana

Post by Ironhorse »

Bamaman wrote: Wed Jun 20, 2018 6:29 pm
I have LL to thank for getting one clue right. I got it right yesterday but it helped to have it fresh in my mind.
Monotremes?
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

No way was I going to figure out "European Union" nor Dardanelles = Turkey or Doctor J in the top box.

And there goes my chance at my second ever 5/5, because I sat on this one for a good 45 minutes and didn't even have a valid WAG.

Lach Trash: platypus
Wpwells

Post by Wpwells »

Missed the question about this symphony at Geek Bowl. Thought of Haydn based on the year and got to the Surprise Symphony as a piece with a distinctive feature. 3/3
Ironhorse
Second Banana

Post by Ironhorse »

MarkBarrett wrote: Wed Jun 20, 2018 6:17 pm
CLASSICAL MUSIC is very much a hit & miss type category for me. I proved it with the solve as I figured out what the clue was hinting at while there is no way I would have recalled the composer in time.
I find it odd that it's my highest scoring category on LL, but I don't listen to it at all. Perhaps there's a somewhat limited "trivia canon" there?
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

trash: platypus, Brady Bill DD, Alpha Centauri, Army, strikeouts.
How does one get Dr. Strangeglove and not strikeouts?
Instaget FJ, spent 30 seconds trying to think of what else it could possibly be.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

DBear wrote: Wed Jun 20, 2018 8:37 pm How does one get Dr. Strangeglove and not strikeouts?
Yeah, that S&S was quite baffling.
Ironhorse
Second Banana

Post by Ironhorse »

I understand Ali's reluctance to ring in if not 100% sure given he had a slim lead on the final question.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

Right composer, wrong piece...and not even a symphony either. Went with 'Joke' which turns out to be one of his string quartets.

And in case anyone guessed Miracle, the symphony -named- Miracle debuted in 1791 while the symphony the miracle happened at was a 1794 release (also, it assumes Haydn cut the chandelier rope which of course there is no evidence for... :? )
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

Best I could come up with was the Jupiter Symphony. Not exactly sure how that could be a symphonic "feature" but it least I was in the right area time-wise.
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

It took a while for the players to get any momentum. WTF was with running the book/movie category from the bottom up and TS'ing the first three? They were hard questions and I NHO any of them either.

At first I thought Tyler would regret not even ringing in and taking a shot at the lead with the Doc Gooden clue. Then I thought he'd be glad he was in second with such a hard clue. There's been a couple ofFJ gets here, but I'm willing to take the under at 55% this week. I started with the William Tell Overture as a named piece but happily flipped to Beethoven's Ode to Joy (aka the 9th) thinking it was closer to the time frame and maybe there was some backstory over the Ode to Joy name.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
davey

Post by davey »

twelvefootboy wrote: Wed Jun 20, 2018 11:46 pm It took a while for the players to get any momentum. WTF was with running the book/movie category from the bottom up and TS'ing the first three? They were hard questions and I NHO any of them either.

At first I thought Tyler would regret not even ringing in and taking a shot at the lead with the Doc Gooden clue. Then I thought he'd be glad he was in second with such a hard clue. There's been a couple ofFJ gets here, but I'm willing to take the under at 55% this week. I started with the William Tell Overture as a named piece but happily flipped to Beethoven's Ode to Joy (aka the 9th) thinking it was closer to the time frame and maybe there was some backstory over the Ode to Joy name.
I had the same thought about the 9th when the "Surprise" eluded me, but that work is firmly ensconced in the 19th C. It's post-Napoleon, triumph-of-Europe music... ("Ode to Joy" the poem is from the 18th.) Also remember "Ode to Joy" is a section of the 9th Symphony, not a byname (new word to me!), so presumably would not have been accepted in place of Beethoven's Ninth. Also presumably, Haydn's 94th would have been a correct response to this clue.
billiej

Post by billiej »

DBear wrote: Wed Jun 20, 2018 8:37 pm
Easy if you have zero sports knowledge, but have seen certain movies and can figure out puns. :P
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

billiej wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 11:18 am
DBear wrote: Wed Jun 20, 2018 8:37 pm
Easy if you have zero sports knowledge, but have seen certain movies and can figure out puns. :P
From where I'm sitting, knowing that K is the term for strikeouts requires much less baseball knowledge than figuring out the Dr. Strangeglove pun. That's how my mind works, anyway. I had heard of Dr. Strangeglove referenced before, but I can't see anyone getting that without baseball knowledge.
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

41 R
DD: 2/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: Platypus, Alpha Centauri, Majorie Rawlings, Niagara River, Galway Bay, Strikeouts
Douglas Squasoni