Wednesday, June 20, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

davey
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Wednesday, June 20, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by davey »

DBear wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 12:21 pm
billiej wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 11:18 am
DBear wrote: Wed Jun 20, 2018 8:37 pm
How does one get Dr. Strangeglove and not strikeouts?
Easy if you have zero sports knowledge, but have seen certain movies and can figure out puns. :P
From where I'm sitting, knowing that K is the term for strikeouts requires much less baseball knowledge than figuring out the Dr. Strangeglove pun. That's how my mind works, anyway. I had heard of Dr. Strangeglove referenced before, but I can't see anyone getting that without baseball knowledge.
I was going to say that if you have zero sports knowledge, you don't know that there's a glove involved in the game. Still, that seems a little less arcane than scorekeeping notation. I don't have huge interest and got them both, so there you go...
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

You’d really have to have a less than zero knowledge of baseball to be unaware that they use gloves. I didn’t know that player’s nickname prior to yesterday, but it was easily gettable from the clue.

I also got the Gooden clue. I know that a K is a strikeout but I also recall Gooden’s playing career.

I think Dr. K was a lot tougher clue if you aren’t a baseball fan or aren’t old enough to remember Gooden.
teapot37

Post by teapot37 »

Briefly considered the 1812 Overture, but rejected it because a) it's not a symphony, and b) Tchaikovsky was way later than that. I had been under the impression that the Surprise Symphony was called that because it ends abruptly, but it's just a sudden fortissimo chord. Went with it though because I had nothing better.
Not many people can say they've lost four times on Jeopardy!.
Elijah Baley

Post by Elijah Baley »

teapot37 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 2:13 pm Briefly considered the 1812 Overture, but rejected it because a) it's not a symphony, and b) Tchaikovsky was way later than that. I had been under the impression that the Surprise Symphony was called that because it ends abruptly, but it's just a sudden fortissimo chord. Went with it though because I had nothing better.
That, and the fact that the 1812 Overture written in 1792 would likely have involved time travel. Or remarkable foresight. :lol:
billiej

Post by billiej »

DBear wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 12:21 pm
billiej wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 11:18 am
DBear wrote: Wed Jun 20, 2018 8:37 pm
How does one get Dr. Strangeglove and not strikeouts?
Easy if you have zero sports knowledge, but have seen certain movies and can figure out puns. :P
From where I'm sitting, knowing that K is the term for strikeouts requires much less baseball knowledge than figuring out the Dr. Strangeglove pun. That's how my mind works, anyway. I had heard of Dr. Strangeglove referenced before, but I can't see anyone getting that without baseball knowledge.
What can I tell ya', I've never heard it before, yet it happened on my couch. :lol:

FTR, I have heard that K=strikeout, but it wasn't something that was readily accessible from the recesses of my brain in time. It was more of a "oh, duh" after the fact.
teapot37

Post by teapot37 »

Elijah Baley wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 2:21 pm
teapot37 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 2:13 pm Briefly considered the 1812 Overture, but rejected it because a) it's not a symphony, and b) Tchaikovsky was way later than that. I had been under the impression that the Surprise Symphony was called that because it ends abruptly, but it's just a sudden fortissimo chord. Went with it though because I had nothing better.
That, and the fact that the 1812 Overture written in 1792 would likely have involved time travel. Or remarkable foresight. :lol:
Well, that too.
Not many people can say they've lost four times on Jeopardy!.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Elijah Baley wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 2:21 pm
So George Orwell ...

(Yes, I recognize what the 1812 Overture commemorates, but it's not like that's explicitly stated somehow.)

And yes, George Orwell is showing some remarkable foresight.
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

davey wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 10:11 am
twelvefootboy wrote: Wed Jun 20, 2018 11:46 pm
There's been a couple ofFJ gets here, but I'm willing to take the under at 55% this week. I started with the William Tell Overture as a named piece but happily flipped to Beethoven's Ode to Joy (aka the 9th) thinking it was closer to the time frame and maybe there was some backstory over the Ode to Joy name.
I had the same thought about the 9th when the "Surprise" eluded me, but that work is firmly ensconced in the 19th C. It's post-Napoleon, triumph-of-Europe music... ("Ode to Joy" the poem is from the 18th.) Also remember "Ode to Joy" is a section of the 9th Symphony, not a byname (new word to me!), so presumably would not have been accepted in place of Beethoven's Ninth. Also presumably, Haydn's 94th would have been a correct response to this clue.
Thanks for the interesting narrative about the musical eras.

My golf buddy college music professor (French Horn) didn't get this one. He said he forgot all about Handel. To be fair, his wife told him about it and might have left off the important TOM.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

Coryat: 38,400
49 R/2 W
DD: 2/3
FJ: :(
LT: manicotti, duck-billed platypus, Army, strikeouts

I've probably heard of the Surprise Symphony before, but it doesn't really ring a bell. Went with Beethoven's Fifth just to have something.
Sprinkles are for winners.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

twelvefootboy wrote: Fri Jun 22, 2018 10:38 pm My golf buddy college music professor (French Horn) didn't get this one. He said he forgot all about Handel.
That's because he was Haydn.
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

opusthepenguin wrote: Sat Jun 23, 2018 9:59 am
twelvefootboy wrote: Fri Jun 22, 2018 10:38 pm My golf buddy college music professor (French Horn) didn't get this one. He said he forgot all about Handel.
That's because he was Haydn.
:oops: Handel/Hadyn/Hansel/Gretel - one of those dead composers :lol:
Anybody else learn to play (and to hate lessons) piano with "Papa Haydn's dead and gone/But his memory lingers on/...." to the tune of Twinkle, Twinkle? If this audio clue ever comes up, I am ready!
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
squarekara
J! Reactionary

Post by squarekara »

twelvefootboy wrote: Sat Jun 23, 2018 11:02 am Anybody else learn to play (and to hate lessons) piano with "Papa Haydn's dead and gone/But his memory lingers on/...." to the tune of Twinkle, Twinkle? If this audio clue ever comes up, I am ready!
You may be thinking about a kiddy piano version of the Surprise Symphony itself (similar to "Twinkle, Twinkle.") The version I learned went "Haydn was a happy man/ Wrote this happy little tune. . ."
AFRET CMS
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by AFRET CMS »

squarekara wrote: Sat Jun 23, 2018 2:16 pm
twelvefootboy wrote: Sat Jun 23, 2018 11:02 am Anybody else learn to play (and to hate lessons) piano with "Papa Haydn's dead and gone/But his memory lingers on/...." to the tune of Twinkle, Twinkle? If this audio clue ever comes up, I am ready!
You may be thinking about a kiddy piano version of the Surprise Symphony itself (similar to "Twinkle, Twinkle.") The version I learned went "Haydn was a happy man/ Wrote this happy little tune. . ."
Didn't learn that one, but my grandfather did tell me about his turbaned friend from northern India who was named after the composer.

Haydn Sikh.
I'm not the defending Jeopardy! champion. But I have played one on TV.
tiwonge
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by tiwonge »

I immediately thought of Haydn, but I couldn't figure out which of his hooks this might be. I was alternating between Farewell and Surprise because these seemed to be two hooks that could be added later. (The Clock symphony, probably not, and I couldn't think of any others at the moment.) I went with Surprise because it was better known, but I waited until the last possible moment to decide.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

tiwonge wrote: Sat Jun 23, 2018 9:38 pm I immediately thought of Haydn, but I couldn't figure out which of his hooks this might be. I was alternating between Farewell and Surprise because these seemed to be two hooks that could be added later. (The Clock symphony, probably not, and I couldn't think of any others at the moment.) I went with Surprise because it was better known, but I waited until the last possible moment to decide.
I'm not sure how the Farewell gimmick could've been added close to the debut. In the final section, the musicians stop playing one by one, snuff their candles, and leave the stage. At the end only two violinists are left. That doesn't work with any symphony you happen to have on hand. It takes planning.

The Surprise, on the other hand, just involves adding a fortissimo mark right at the point where the music has put everyone to sleep. I can affirm from firsthand experience that it's wonderfully effective. My parents dragged me to yet another of my sister's high school orchestra concerts where they performed this symphony. I wasn't interested enough to listen to the conductor's opening remarks giving the history of the subtitle. So the effect wasn't spoiled. I wasn't really paying attention to the music either when that fortissimo hit. I jumped in my seat. Everyone who saw it laughed. My dad had to explain the joke to me after. I like to think I contributed to everyone's authentic enjoyment of the piece in accordance with the composer's intentions.
Ironhorse
Second Banana

Post by Ironhorse »

BigDaddyMatty wrote: Sat Jun 23, 2018 2:26 am Coryat: 38,400
49 R/2 W
DD: 2/3
FJ: :(
LT: manicotti, duck-billed platypus, Army, strikeouts

I've probably heard of the Surprise Symphony before, but it doesn't really ring a bell. Went with Beethoven's Fifth just to have something.
A Fifth is less than a Handel.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

opusthepenguin wrote: Sat Jun 23, 2018 10:45 pm
tiwonge wrote: Sat Jun 23, 2018 9:38 pm I immediately thought of Haydn, but I couldn't figure out which of his hooks this might be. I was alternating between Farewell and Surprise because these seemed to be two hooks that could be added later. (The Clock symphony, probably not, and I couldn't think of any others at the moment.) I went with Surprise because it was better known, but I waited until the last possible moment to decide.
I'm not sure how the Farewell gimmick could've been added close to the debut. In the final section, the musicians stop playing one by one, snuff their candles, and leave the stage. At the end only two violinists are left. That doesn't work with any symphony you happen to have on hand. It takes planning.

The Surprise, on the other hand, just involves adding a fortissimo mark right at the point where the music has put everyone to sleep. I can affirm from firsthand experience that it's wonderfully effective. My parents dragged me to yet another of my sister's high school orchestra concerts where they performed this symphony. I wasn't interested enough to listen to the conductor's opening remarks giving the history of the subtitle. So the effect wasn't spoiled. I wasn't really paying attention to the music either when that fortissimo hit. I jumped in my seat. Everyone who saw it laughed. My dad had to explain the joke to me after. I like to think I contributed to everyone's authentic enjoyment of the piece in accordance with the composer's intentions.
That reminds me of this clip.
OrangeSAM
(Unranked)

Post by OrangeSAM »

I know I'm late but have a question for the judges.

In WHO Essential Drugs, for the clue which basically looked for powdered activated this to treat poisoning I said carbon in lieu of charcoal. What do you think?
OCSam
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

OrangeSAM wrote: Sun Jul 01, 2018 4:40 am I know I'm late but have a question for the judges.

In WHO Essential Drugs, for the clue which basically looked for powdered activated this to treat poisoning I said carbon in lieu of charcoal. What do you think?
Looks good
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
AFRET CMS
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by AFRET CMS »

OrangeSAM wrote: Sun Jul 01, 2018 4:40 am I know I'm late but have a question for the judges.

There's a chance it could be a BMS -- there are many types of carbon from diamond to graphite, but charcoal is the most common term for the form used as a toxin absorbent.

However, if if the judges accept Wikipedia, it would probably fly: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Activated_carbon. The search term "activated charcoal" redirects to that page. There are also forms of activated carbon that are derived from sources other than charcoal.

Best guess, carbon would have been accepted, with maybe a BMS. But one could argue if carbon was rejected.
I'm not the defending Jeopardy! champion. But I have played one on TV.