Thursday, June 21, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Elijah Baley
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Thursday, June 21, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Elijah Baley »

twelvefootboy wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 9:45 pm His get of Doug Jones was impressive.
You mean the guy that was in the news so prominently throughout November and December due to the very well publicized Alabama special election?? ;)

(Or because he lives in Vancouver, he might not be expected to follow US politics?).
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

CellBlock wrote: Fri Jun 22, 2018 9:49 am I don't know a lot of Australian geography, but to me, Perth is "the one on the other side" and I couldn't have guessed anything else. All the other (or at least, all of the commonly referred-to) major cities are on the east coast.
That may be helpful to know because you can be sure your guess is on the Indian Ocean. But it turns out that Melbourne, Darwin, and Adelaide are on the Indian Ocean. They're not so much on the east coast as on the southern or northern coast toward the eastern end. If the clue had specified the western half of Australia, I'd have said Perth with more confidence.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

Elijah Baley wrote: Fri Jun 22, 2018 10:25 am
twelvefootboy wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 9:45 pm His get of Doug Jones was impressive.
You mean the guy that was in the news so prominently throughout November and December due to the very well publicized Alabama special election?? ;)

(Or because he lives in Vancouver, he might not be expected to follow US politics?).
Considering 80% of us couldn't remember who unseated a sitting Majority Leader...
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=2381
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): WIthnail & I (7), An Autumn Afternoon (7), Europa Europa (7), Tampopo (9)
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Volante wrote: Fri Jun 22, 2018 11:12 am

Considering 80% of us couldn't remember who unseated a sitting Majority Leader...
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=2381
How many sub-10s have there been, out of curiosity? I know "flight simulator" was our only 0.
Elijah Baley

Post by Elijah Baley »

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=2381
Yeah, that was pretty embarrassing, but I'd say that there is a slight difference in that it was a House seat and Cantor was probably expected to win, so it didn't get quite as much press leading up to the election. By contrast, there was tons of press about that Alabama Senate seat, particularly given the fact that Trump inserted himself into the race as well.

Which, I don't really mean to take away from Ali's get - because Roy Moore was the more notable name in that race.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

Elijah Baley wrote: Fri Jun 22, 2018 12:12 pm

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=2381
Yeah, that was pretty embarrassing, but I'd say that there is a slight difference in that it was a House seat and Cantor was probably expected to win, so it didn't get quite as much press leading up to the election. By contrast, there was tons of press about that Alabama Senate seat, particularly given the fact that Trump inserted himself into the race as well.

Which, I don't really mean to take away from Ali's get - because Roy Moore was the more notable name in that race.
What also helped me get Doug Jones is when he's not working in politics, Guillermo del Toro is stuffing him into latex suits.
( https://www.imdb.com/name/nm0427964/ )
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): WIthnail & I (7), An Autumn Afternoon (7), Europa Europa (7), Tampopo (9)
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

48 R
DD: 2/3 (Brahma, Elk)
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: Walpurgis Night, Funny Girl, Henry Morgan
Douglas Squasoni
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

Elijah Baley wrote: Fri Jun 22, 2018 12:12 pm

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=2381

Exactly this... Doug Jones was the third tenor or the Ft. Worth and St. Paul in the political narrative. A forgettably common name doesn't help me imprint it either. Even though he won, he's the "also-ran". That's all the cliches/euphemisms I have for now. As far as I know he's doing a bang-on job in our feckless Congressional sewer hole :roll:

I looked back at the old Eric Cantor clue, and wow, that was a savage clue!
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

Coryat: 34,400
45 R/1 W
DD: 2/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: Big Little Lies

Another solid game by Ali.

I briefly considered Darwin for FJ!, but it's not that big and is on the northern coast, so it wouldn't make sense for it to be at the southern end of a road.
Sprinkles are for winners.