Thursday, June 21, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Thursday, June 21, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

Game Recap for Show #7789, 2018-06-21

CONTESTANTS
Deb Seltzer, a grants manager from Baltimore, Maryland
Justin Cosgrove, an assistant principal at a high school for the blind from St. Augustine, Florida
Ali Hasan, a secondary school teacher from New Westminster, British Columbia, Canada (whose 2-day cash winnings total $46,802)

OPENING REMARKS
Alex: Thank you, Johnny. Oh, good-sized audience. Welcome. Hi, everyone. Nice to have you with us. Ali has been leading a one-man invasion of the United States. He's taken us for $46,000 U.S. It's worth more in Canada. Justin and Deb, good to have you with us. Good luck to all three. Here we go. Now the categories for the first round of play. They are...

JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
YEARLY BELOVED (4/5)
TELEVISION (3/5)
MATH-FREE WORD PROBLEMS (5/5)
PLACE IT (5/5)
WHO HAS MY LETTER? (5/5)
THE MALE MAN (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Ali: 12 R (including 1 DD), 2 W
Justin: 8 R (including 1 rebound), 0 W
Deb: 7 R (including 1 rebound), 0 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 3
Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $2,600

SCORES AT THE FIRST BREAK
Justin: $2,600
Ali: $2,200
Deb: $2,000

CONTESTANT INTERVIEWS

Alex: Deb Seltzer is visiting us from Baltimore, Maryland. Deb, here in southern California, we have a problem with dying pine trees.

Deb: Mm-hm.

Alex: Dying oak trees. In your work in Baltimore, you are a treekeeper?

Deb: Yes. The city of Baltimore and several nonprofits run a volunteer certification program, so I'm a card-carrying treekeeper, and I can lead volunteer groups to plant new trees or remove old ones, and also lead pruning to kind of take care of them and maintain them.

Alex: Keep the ones that are going, going.

Deb: Yes.

Alex: All right.

Alex: Justin Cosgrove from St. Augustine, Florida. Assistant principal at a high school for the blind. Now, your wife works at a school for the deaf.

Justin: On the same campus. We're the Florida School for the Deaf and Blind. I work with the blind; I oversee the high school. My wife, Michelle, teaches third grade in the deaf department.

Alex: Okay, good for you.

Alex: Ali Hasan is from New Westminster, British Columbia. Proposed to his wife in a unique manner, I hear.

Ali: That's right, yes. Big nerds, so my wife and I--my wife, Nikki, and I--we're big Scrabble fans, and we used to play Scrabble a lot. So one day, when I wanted to propose, she came home, and I pretended I was really upset, and I said, "Oh, you know, the only thing that'll make me feel better is if we play Scrabble." So she got out the board, she took it out, and there was the ring. And she was so excited, she ran to her mother. She didn't even say yes. So, I mean...

Alex: Was it on a triple-word... well, we won't go into it.

JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Ali found the Daily Double on the 24th clue. Ali had $5,000, Justin had $3,800, and Deb was at $2,600. Ali wagered $3,000.

THE MALE MAN $600: In 2017 Alabama elected its first Democrat to the U.S. Senate since 1992--this man, who beat Roy Moore

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
TELEVISION $600: (I'm Iain Armitage.) I played Ziggy, the son of Miss Shailene Woodley's character, on this HBO miniseries that won 8 Emmy Awards including 1 for Miss Nicole Kidman

TELEVISION $1000: In 2017, she could be seen on TV on "Atypical" as well as on "Twin Peaks"

YEARLY BELOVED $1000: This "night" on the eve of May Day was believed in medieval times to be when witches celebrated their sabbath

SCORES AT THE END OF THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
Ali: $8,000
Deb: $4,400
Justin: $4,000
Last edited by Archivists on Wed Jan 30, 2019 4:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Thursday, June 21, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
BEAUTIFUL HAITI (3/5)
MOVIES' OPENING LINES (4/5)
FOUR LEGS GOOD (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
PIN THE TALE ON THE 19th CENTURY WRITER (5/5)
DIVINITY (4/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
CAN I GET AN "AMEN"? (5/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Ali: 14 R (including 1 rebound and 2 DDs), 1 W
Justin: 7 R, 2 W
Deb: 5 R, 0 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 4
Double Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $7,200

FIRST DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Ali snagged the next Daily Double on the 18th clue. Ali had $15,200, Justin had $5,200, and Deb was at $6,000. Ali wagered $2,800.

DIVINITY $1200: Born from a golden egg, this multifaced god of creation in Hinduism mediates between Vishnu & Shiva

SECOND DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
It was Ali who snatched up the last Daily Double of the game on the 19th clue. Ali had $18,000, Justin had $5,200, and Deb was at $6,000. Ali wagered $500.

FOUR LEGS GOOD $1600: This deer is the biggest animal followed by "hound" in the name of an AKC dog breed

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND
MOVIES' OPENING LINES $1600: 1968:
"Hello, gorgeous"
(Alex: Barbra Streisand in [*].)

BEAUTIFUL HAITI $1600: The beaches of Île-à-Vache may have been enjoyed by this pirate who was knighted in 1674 & used the isle as a staging area
(Justin: Who is Drake?)
(Ali: Who is Raleigh?)

BEAUTIFUL HAITI $2000: Haiti's native flowers include several species of this sweet-scented tropical beauty

DIVINITY $2000: When Christian Science refers to the supreme being, it uses the term "divine" this 4-letter word

SCORES ENTERING FINAL JEOPARDY!
Ali: $21,700
Deb: $11,200
Justin: $8,800

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
WORLD GEOGRAPHY

VENUSIAN MONOLOGUES/MARTIAN CHRONICLES
Crush for first place.
Ali: Wager $701 to cover Deb, but no more than $4,099 so as not to fall behind Justin's doubled score.
Deb: You have the hope of surpassing Ali if you come up with the correct response. Bet at least $10,501 to force Ali to wager to win while also protecting your position from being usurped by Justin.
Justin: Unfortunately, your score is less than the difference between the scores of the first and second place players, so unless they both blunder, you're competing for second place and have no hopes of first. Wager as much as you desire, but remember, you'll have better chances of advancing to second place if you have a larger sum left over on a Triple Stumper.

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
Australia's fourth-largest city, it's at the southern end of the road called Indian Ocean Drive

FINAL SCORES
Justin: $8,800 - $8,000 = $800 (What Adalaide) (2nd place: $2,000)
Deb: $11,200 - $11,198 = $2 (What is Brisbane?) (3rd place: $1,000)
Ali: $21,700 - $701 = $20,999 (What is Darwin?) (3-day champion: $67,801)

Total Potential Lach Trash: $9,800

GAME DYNAMICS

CORYAT SCORES
Ali: $18,800, 26 R (including 3 DDs), 3 W
Deb: $11,200, 12 R, 0 W
Justin: $8,800, 15 R, 2 W
Combined Coryat: $38,800

BATTING AVERAGES
Ali: 26/61 = .426
Justin: 15/58 = .259
Deb: 12/58 = .207
Team: 53/63 = .841

MISCELLANEOUS INTERESTING CLUES
PLACE IT $600: The 2010 World Expo:
this Chinese city
(Ali: What is Beijing?)

THE MALE MAN $800: On April 2, 1801 the Danes found out that this Brit was a one-eyed, one-armed, non-flying naval people beater
(Ali: Who is Jones?)
(Alex: Less than a minute.)

BEAUTIFUL HAITI $1200: In 1982 UNESCO designated the Citadelle Laferrière as one of these historic sites

DIVINITY $800: The Mahdi is an anticipated messianic spiritual figure who will restore this faith to its rightful purity
(Justin: What is Hinduism?)

CORRECT RESPONSES
Doug Jones
Big Little Lies
Jennifer Jason Leigh
Walpurgis Night
Brahma
an elk
Funny Girl
Sir Henry Morgan
plumeria
mind
Perth
Shanghai
(Horatio) Nelson
a World Heritage Site
Islam (or Muslim)
Last edited by Archivists on Wed Jan 30, 2019 4:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by theFJguy »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
WORLD GEOGRAPHY

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
Australia’s fourth-largest city, it’s at the southern end of the road called Indian Ocean Drive

Ali Hasan: 21700-701=20999 (3x = $67,801)
Justin Cosgrove: 8800-8000=800
Deb Seltzer: 11200-11198=2

Correct response:
Spoiler
Perth (Ali – Darwin) (Justin – Adalaide) (Deb – Brisbane)

Daily Doubles
Ali: 5000+3000
Ali: 15200+2800
Ali: 18000+500

Coryats
Ali: 18800
Justin: 8800
Deb: 11200

Combined: 38,800

Scores at the end of the Jeopardy! Round
Ali: 8000
Justin: 4000
Deb: 4400
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Iain Armitage alert! The Young Sheldon clues bring hilarious posts from the small percentage of viewers extremely bugged by the actor.

Alex making the U.S./Canada comparison for dollars. [Drink!]

Ali was 3/3 on DDs for +$6300 yet still not enough for the lock to allow Deb to be in play for the FJ! round when she got clue 30. Alex of course had to mention that it prevented the game from being a runaway.

The FJ! clue had me eliminating Sydney & Melbourne from the start figuring Olympics host cities are 1 and 2. Next I placed Indian Ocean on the west. The capital of Western Australia is one I know. Five letters on the page and done.

I thought of Adelaide, Canberra, and Brisbane as the types the players might guess and two of those cities did come up.

Any kind of win tomorrow for Ali and he sends Kyle Becker down another notch on the tracker.
Wpwells

Post by Wpwells »

So...I hesitated because I knew the largest city on the Indian Ocean would be Perth, but I thought it was third, not fourth. I went with it in the end, though. 4/4
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

My brain is completely fried after a nine-hour shift at McDonald's on the first day of summer.

I know the fact that the Super Bowl 50 eschewed the Roman numeral because they couldn't incorporate an L into the logo clearly. So why is it that every time they ask for the Roman numeral for 50, I completely blank?

Everything else seemed unnaturally tough, but that could just be my brain being shut off.

Had no idea what to even guess on FJ! since I could only pull Sydney and I knew that was wrong. If I've encountered Perth before then it didn't stick, because it didn't seem even vaguely familiar when it was revealed.
xxaaaxx

Post by xxaaaxx »

I was absolutely sure the challengers would pick some combo of Brisbane and Adelaide...but I thought Ali would get it right, and I certainly wasn't expecting Darwin. Hm. The bit about the Indian Ocean was a nice hint, but for some reason I just knew that Australia's largest cities were Sydney-Melbourne-Brisbane-Perth, instaget before Alex finished reading.
MarkBarrett wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 6:19 pm Iain Armitage alert! The Young Sheldon clues bring hilarious posts from the small percentage of viewers extremely bugged by the actor.
Who the hell would be bug...ugh nevermind (**** social media). I think he's a good clue reader, but how many clues did that kid tape!?? :lol:

4/5 TV - another HBO miniseries trips me up - and 4/5 movies; if I've seen Funny Girl, I don't remember it (and I'm not into musicals anyway).
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

xxaaaxx wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 7:35 pm ...if I've seen Funny Girl, I don't remember it (and I'm not into musicals anyway).
I know I have not seen the movie. My solve was through famous moments as the Oscars:
Spoiler
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

If I'd read the clue correctly, I might have guessed Darwin and missed. But I misread the clue as saying the Indian Ocean was south of the city rather than vice versa. So I rejected Darwin since it wouldn't have a road going south from it to the ocean. I knew Sydney and Melbourne were too big. Canberra's inland. Forgot about Brisbane and Adelaide. Toyed with Hobart (which, looking at it now, appears to be just barely on the Pacific). But I decided Perth was more likely and went with it. As they say, a get's a get.

Edge case: when the correct response is the letter Y, can a contestant ring in and say "Y?"
StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Post by StevenH »

This was a good but pretty easy board. A U.S. state capital from its state at the bottom of the board, really?

I locked in on Brisbane and was convinced that it had to be it. D'oh!

Lach trash on the rum guy.

I am really enjoying watching Ali, since he eats up the academic clues.
hscer

Post by hscer »

Love when a contestant finds both DD's consecutively. But my immediate reaction (after a satisfied laugh at Ali pulling it off) was $2000. That would have made it a runaway in the end at least. Thought $500 was a bit small either way.

Anyway, FJ was a get. Stuck between Brisbane and Perth, but Western Australia seemed to align more with the Indian Ocean than Queensland.
Now Completed: TD 224 - Airplane!
Coming Eventually: hscer's 3rd TD

Twitter: http://twitter.com/hscer
Sporcle: http://www.sporcle.com/user/hscer
Ironhorse
Second Banana

Post by Ironhorse »

FJ was an instaget. I was surprised Ali didn't pull it as he seems strong in geography.
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

Australian city + Indian Ocean = Perth.

Judges: Divine Will for Divine Mind?

clean board today, only trash pickup was Cap'n Morgan. Arrrrr! :lol:
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

MarkBarrett wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 6:19 pm The FJ! clue had me eliminating Sydney & Melbourne from the start figuring Olympics host cities are 1 and 2. Next I placed Indian Ocean on the west. The capital of Western Australia is one I know. Five letters on the page and done.
Pretty much my process, too.
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

So far no snarky comments about Alex's comment on rounding Ali's bet to a vulnerable $700?

For some reason Adelaide came to mind as a cromulent guess, but I decided the Capital city might be a sneaky choice befitting of the J! writers. Too bad I thought the capital was Queensland. :oops: (For the purposes of not making anybody dumber - Queensland is a state/province and Canberra is the Capital).

I like Ali, but I wish he'd stop finding all the DD's, especially since he doesn't really seem to embrace them like RobW of boardie fame. He doesn't seem to have any weak categories. His get of Doug Jones was impressive.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
immaf
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by immaf »

Flipped a mental coin between Brisbane and Perth -- and came up wrong.
Teems with quiet fun.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

twelvefootboy wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 9:45 pm For some reason Adelaide came to mind as a cromulent guess
It is #5, to be fair.
Elijah Baley

Post by Elijah Baley »

I don't understand how that FJ was a triple miss.

Then again, Canadian geography still stumps contestants, and that's right next door.
CellBlock
Valued Contributor

Post by CellBlock »

I don't know a lot of Australian geography, but to me, Perth is "the one on the other side" and I couldn't have guessed anything else. All the other (or at least, all of the commonly referred-to) major cities are on the east coast.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

I have at least somewhat of an idea as to where most of the other cities in Australia are, but for some reason, Perth doesn't ring any bells for me.

Much like how all the cities in NZ that I can name are on the LESS populous of the two islands.