Friday, June 22, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Friday, June 22, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

Game Recap for Show #7790, 2018-06-22

CONTESTANTS
Amanda Graver, a researcher from Columbus, Ohio
Jordan Nussbaum, a lawyer from Thornhill, Ontario, Canada
Ali Hasan, a secondary school teacher from New Westminster, British Columbia, Canada (whose 3-day cash winnings total $67,801)

OPENING REMARKS
Alex: Thanks, Johnny. What's with all the Canadians on Jeopardy!? Two of them in one day? Oh, my gosh. I don't know if my heart will be able to stand this. Amanda, you've got to defend America. Can you do it?

Amanda: I can.

Alex: All right. Good luck to all three of you. Let's go to work. Categories are...

JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
ROCKS & MINERALS (5/5)
A LANDMARK DESIGNATION (5/5)
SURNAMES (4/5, including 1 missed Daily Double)
"H" TO "H" (4/5)
OFFICE SUPPLIES (4/5)
UH OH, TALKIN' MORE FOOTBALL (4/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Ali: 13 R, 3 W (including 1 DD)
Jordan: 9 R (including 1 rebound), 1 W
Amanda: 4 R (including 1 rebound), 0 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 3
Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $3,000

JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Ali found the Daily Double on the 15th clue. Ali had $3,000, Jordan had $2,800, and Amanda was at $400. Ali wagered $1,000.

SURNAMES $1000: A popular surname in the Philippines, it's the birthplace of an Italian Dominican theologian & saint
(Alex: Ali?)
(Ali: What is Loyola?)
(Alex: No, the saint is Thomas Aquinas.)
[Alex does not go on to state the correct response.]

SCORES AT THE FIRST BREAK
Jordan: $2,800
Ali: $2,000
Amanda: $400

CONTESTANT INTERVIEWS

Alex: Amanda Graver is a researcher from Ohio. Amanda, yesterday somebody in our audience mentioned to me that a lot of our contestants collect things.

Amanda: Yes.

Alex: And you have a collection of one that a lot of people would not want to have. Tell me about it.

Amanda: I do. I have a pet ball python named Luna. Ball python being a snake.

Alex: Yeah, I know that. How big a snake are we talking?

Amanda: She's not huge. She's a few feet long.

Alex: What do you feed her?

Amanda: Dead, frozen rats.

Alex: Okay. All right, that's enough. Better than feeding live rats.

Alex: Jordan Nussbaum is a lawyer from Thornhill, Ontario, Canada. I'm familiar with that place, near Toronto. You recently took a visit to a foreign country for a special purpose.

Jordan: Yes, so a group of my family went to visit Poland and in particular, my grandfather's hometown.

Alex: Which was?

Jordan: Sandomierz.

Alex: Close to which major city?

Jordan: Oh...

Alex: And now you'll tell me Sandomierz has 3 million population, which it doesn't have.

Jordan: It's maybe about 10 or 20,000.

Alex: Yeah, I know. But--good trip?

Jordan: It was a great time. I got to see my great-grandparents--their apartment, it's still there. It was fantastic.

Alex: How were you able to converse with them? Are you fluent in Polish?

Jordan: Not in the slightest. My grandfather didn't miss a beat though.

Alex: Okay, good.

Alex: Ali Hasan from British Columbia, Canada, is our champion. At a wedding in a foreign country, in Spain, in Madrid, I believe.

Ali: Yes.

Alex: You were asked to make some remarks, give some remarks, and what happened?

Ali: Well, I was supposed to give them in Spanish. And I'd been learning a little bit of Spanish. And I thought it was pretty good, and I prepared a speech. And I went on and I spoke, and they were filming, and I thought, "Okay, that's great. Everyone's laughing." Months later, I get the video back, and when it's my turn to speak and I'm on there, whoever edited the video thought it would be funny if they put little subtitles that was just a bunch of question marks and Chinese characters.

Alex: Okay. Fun and games in Madrid.

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
UH OH, TALKIN' MORE FOOTBALL $1000: A kick returner who touches but fails to catch the ball has committed one of these hand warmers

"H" TO "H" $1000: From the Greek for "written in full", it's a document written entirely in the handwriting of the person whose signature it bears
(Ali: What is a hagiograph?)

OFFICE SUPPLIES $1000: For over 100 years, this alliterative "Box" brand has been helping people clean out their desks

SCORES AT THE END OF THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
Ali: $4,800
Amanda: $2,800
Jordan: $2,600
Last edited by Archivists on Wed Jan 30, 2019 4:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Friday, June 22, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
LET'S TAKE A CLASS AT HARVARD (5/5)
MEMBERS OF THE HIP-HOP GROUP (4/5)
U.S. CITIES (4/5, including 1 missed Daily Double)
POETS & POETRY (3/5)
VERY SMALL TALK (5/5)
THE REAL GAME OF THRONES (3/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Amanda: 8 R (including 3 rebounds), 1 W
Ali: 8 R, 3 W (including 1 DD)
Jordan: 8 R (including 1 DD), 3 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 5
Double Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $8,800

FIRST DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Ali snagged the next Daily Double on the 11th clue. Ali had $10,400, Jordan had $2,600, and Amanda was at $4,400. Ali wagered $600.

U.S. CITIES $2000: This third-largest Montana city is named for a feature of the Missouri River
(Ali: What is Butte?)

SECOND DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
It was Jordan who snatched up the last Daily Double of the game on the 14th clue. Ali had $9,800, Jordan had $3,800, and Amanda was at $4,400. Jordan made it a True Daily Double, wagering $3,800.

THE REAL GAME OF THRONES $1200: Edward IV broke an arranged match from this country & wed a commoner; he fared better than Robb Stark, who lost his head

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND
MEMBERS OF THE HIP-HOP GROUP $2000: Cee-Lo Green,
Big Gipp:
this Mob

THE REAL GAME OF THRONES $1600: "The Narrow Sea", next to Essos, is also a name for this real body of water as in the history work "Hold the Narrow Sea"

THE REAL GAME OF THRONES $2000: Like Daenerys, the VII king of this name sailed to an island to seize the throne & he didn't even have dragons in 1485

POETS & POETRY $1200: Tintinnabulation "so musically wells" in this piece by Edgar Allan Poe
(Amanda: What is "Annabel Lee"?)
(Jordan: What is "The Tell-Tale Heart"?)

POETS & POETRY $2000: He thought "Four Quartets" was the best of his own poems
(Ali: Who is Omar Khayyam?)

SCORES ENTERING FINAL JEOPARDY!
Amanda: $11,600
Jordan: $8,800
Ali: $7,800

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
MEDICINE & THE MOVIES

VENUSIAN MONOLOGUES/MARTIAN CHRONICLES
Three-quarters for first place. Stratton's Dilemma.
Amanda: Wager $6,001 to cover Jordan.
Jordan: You ought to wager to cover Ali, but since you cannot win on a Triple Stumper if you do so, you should choose between wagering $0 and maximizing your winnings with a wager of all $8,800. You are in Stratton's Dilemma, calling for a wager of more than $6,800 (to shut out Ali) or less than $3,200 (risking the possibility of being passed from behind by Ali). Go with the smaller bet if you believe a Triple Stumper is more likely than a singleton miss by Amanda.
Ali: Consider risking between $1,001 and $2,200. This will top a $0 wager by Jordan while still beating Amanda on the Triple Stumper (should Amanda wager to cover Jordan's doubled score).

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
Vestibular rehabilitation is one treatment for a condition that is also the title of this 1958 suspense film

FINAL SCORES
Ali: $7,800 + $3,801 = $11,601 (What is Vertigo?) (2nd place: $2,000)
Jordan: $8,800 + $7,000 = $15,800 (What is Vertigo?) (New champion: $15,800)
Amanda: $11,600 - $6,001 = $5,599 (What is Suspiria?) (3rd place: $1,000)
(Alex: [To Ali] The film that starred Jimmy Stewart, yes.)

Total Potential Lach Trash: $11,800

GAME DYNAMICS

CORYAT SCORES
Amanda: $11,600, 12 R, 1 W
Ali: $9,400, 21 R, 6 W (including 2 DDs)
Jordan: $6,200, 17 R (including 1 DD), 4 W
Combined Coryat: $27,200

BATTING AVERAGES
Ali: 22/60 = .367
Jordan: 18/59 = .305
Amanda: 12/58 = .207
Team: 52/63 = .825

MISCELLANEOUS INTERESTING CLUES
UH OH, TALKIN' MORE FOOTBALL $800: In the NFL each of these measures 10 yards by 53 1/3 yards
(Ali: What is... half? Half a field.)

OFFICE SUPPLIES $200: Seen here are the byproducts of this machine

ROCKS & MINERALS $1000: In the late 1800s this material that naturally splits into thin sheets was very popular for roofs in the northeast
(Jordan: What is asbestos?)

U.S. CITIES $400: The iconic gateway to this city's Chinatown is seen here

U.S. CITIES $1200: The McKinley Museum & the Pro Football Hall of Fame are both in this Ohio city
(Jordan: What is Akron?)

LET'S TAKE A CLASS AT HARVARD $2000: At Harvard Law, Prof. Lessig wants to school you on the separation of powers in his course on this type of law
(Jordan: What is federalism?)

POETS & POETRY $1600: He wrote, "Flow gently, sweet Afton, among thy green braes"
(Ali: Who is Dylan Thomas?)

CORRECT RESPONSES
Aquino
a muff
a holograph
Bankers Box
Great Falls
France
Goodie Mob
the English Channel
Henry VII
"The Bells"
T.S. Eliot
Vertigo
the end zone
a pencil sharpener
slate
San Francisco
Canton
constitutional
(Robert) Burns
Last edited by Archivists on Wed Jan 30, 2019 4:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by theFJguy »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
MEDICINE & THE MOVIES

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
Vestibular rehabilitation is one treatment for a condition that is also the title of this 1958 suspense film

Ali Hasan: 7800+3801=11601
Jordan Nussbaum: 8800+7000 (New Champ)
Amanda Graver: 11600-6001=5599

Correct response:
Spoiler
Vertigo (Amanda – Suspiria)

Daily Doubles
Ali: 3000-1000
Ali: 10400-600
Jordan: 3800+3800

Coryats
Ali: 9400
Jordan: 6200
Amanda: 11600

Combined: 27,200

Scores at the end of the Jeopardy! Round
Ali: 4800
Jordan: 2600
Amanda: 2800
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

UH OH, TALKIN’ MORE FOOTBALL goes back to this game: http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=5898 when the failure went viral. Good thing it did not show up whenever Ryan returns.

This time it went better with only one TS clue.

Ali’s end game cost him everything. With one category to go it went:
Spoiler
Ali: 11000 ended up with 7800
Amanda: 10400 ended up with 11600
Jordan: 10000 ended up with 8800

Ali +400 to 11400

Amanda +800 to 11200

Amanda -1200 to 10000
Jordan -1200 to 8800

Ali -1600 to 9800
Amanda +1600 to 11600

Ali -2000 to 7800
The FJ! category had me missing by many years with my precall of Lorenzo’s Oil. Trying to think of others I started getting way off base with things like Congo, Outbreak, Elephant Man, and Mask entering my thoughts so I stopped.

The clue screamed Hitchcock to leave it to picking the right one. Done. Amanda’s guess of Suspiria is one I’ve heard of and would never expect to come up on J! Too bad for Amanda as she played a lot of the game from a trailing position yet for the FJ! round was in position to win.
Elijah Baley

Post by Elijah Baley »

Give credit to Amanda for writing something down just to have a response for FJ, but I can't say that I've ever heard of that one.
badgerfellow
One and Done

Post by badgerfellow »

Elijah Baley wrote: Fri Jun 22, 2018 4:25 pm Give credit to Amanda for writing something down just to have a response for FJ, but I can't say that I've ever heard of that one.
Quite a deep cut: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Suspiria
Elijah Baley

Post by Elijah Baley »

badgerfellow wrote: Fri Jun 22, 2018 5:16 pm
Elijah Baley wrote: Fri Jun 22, 2018 4:25 pm Give credit to Amanda for writing something down just to have a response for FJ, but I can't say that I've ever heard of that one.
I'd love to hear her thought process since she wrote her response so quickly. And, although it didn't work out for her, she looked like she had a great time.
Ironhorse
Second Banana

Post by Ironhorse »

First 5/5 week ever other than on College Week :D
AmandaG

Post by AmandaG »

Elijah Baley wrote: Fri Jun 22, 2018 6:23 pm
I'd love to hear her thought process since she wrote her response so quickly. And, although it didn't work out for her, she looked like she had a great time.
Hi! I was wondering if anyone was going to ask about that...have you ever figured out at an awkward time that you've had two words mixed up for approximately ever? I figured that out on national television. Vestibular vs. ventricular. Yep. So I went for something that sounded cardiovascular, and since I was thinking in that direction, I can very honestly say that Vertigo never even crossed my mind, which is probably better than having thought of it and dismissed it!
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Not the slightest clue what vestibular rehabilitation is, but Vertigo fit the other part, so that was my guess.
Wpwells

Post by Wpwells »

1958 suspense led me to Hitchcock, and at that point I just started thinking of Hitchcock titles until I landed on one that sounded right. 5/5
hscer

Post by hscer »

Man, I can't believe that wasn't a triple get. Getting both the year and genre made it too easy, at least for me.
Now Completed: TD 224 - Airplane!
Coming Eventually: hscer's 3rd TD

Twitter: http://twitter.com/hscer
Sporcle: http://www.sporcle.com/user/hscer
Elijah Baley

Post by Elijah Baley »

AmandaG wrote: Fri Jun 22, 2018 7:17 pm
Hi! I was wondering if anyone was going to ask about that...have you ever figured out at an awkward time that you've had two words mixed up for approximately ever? I figured that out on national television. Vestibular vs. ventricular. Yep. So I went for something that sounded cardiovascular, and since I was thinking in that direction, I can very honestly say that Vertigo never even crossed my mind, which is probably better than having thought of it and dismissed it!
Welcome, Amanda! And yes, seeing one word but the brain telling you it's a slightly different word happens to me - and most people - all too often. We've also noted how often a clue asks for a certain number of syllables and it gets read as a certain number of words, etc. Sorry that it happened at an inopportune moment for you!

And for all that I never heard of Suspiria, in talking to a friend about it, turns out that it's being remade for release this November. Same director (Luca Guanagnino) as I Am Love and Call Me By Your Name.
AmandaG

Post by AmandaG »

Elijah Baley wrote: Fri Jun 22, 2018 7:58 pm
Welcome, Amanda! And yes, seeing one word but the brain telling you it's a slightly different word happens to me - and most people - all too often. We've also noted how often a clue asks for a certain number of syllables and it gets read as a certain number of words, etc. Sorry that it happened at an inopportune moment for you!

And for all that I never heard of Suspiria, in talking to a friend about it, turns out that it's being remade for release this November. Same director (Luca Guanagnino) as I Am Love and Call Me By Your Name.
My hardcore horror movie friends, who are why I know about it in the first place, are super excited, so hopefully it will be awesome!
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

4/5 in H to H and Office Supplies, missing the bottom box in both.

Somehow I knew Goodie Mob and Outkast, but not NWA (although I do know of Ice Cube), Wu-Tang Clan, or the Fat Boys.

I know there is a film called Vertigo. I know there is a condition called vertigo. But neither surfaced in five minutes. Seven Year Itch lodged into my brain and refused to budge even though it didn't even remotely fit.
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

econgator wrote: Fri Jun 22, 2018 7:29 pm Not the slightest clue what vestibular rehabilitation is, but Vertigo fit the other part, so that was my guess.
Yeah, that. Went from 1958 suspense film alone, got Vertigo
AndyTheQuizzer
Lots and Lots of Interviews

Post by AndyTheQuizzer »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Fri Jun 22, 2018 8:27 pm Seven Year Itch lodged into my brain and refused to budge even though it didn't even remotely fit.
You may want to see that Harvard professor named Arash.
Andy Saunders
J! Archive Founding Archivist
Publisher - The Jeopardy! Fan
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

OntarioQuizzer wrote: Fri Jun 22, 2018 8:52 pm
TenPoundHammer wrote: Fri Jun 22, 2018 8:27 pm Seven Year Itch lodged into my brain and refused to budge even though it didn't even remotely fit.
You may want to see that Harvard professor named Arash.
That was another clue I had a brain fart on. I was trying to pull "dermatology" but just like so many things, I just couldn't filter it out in time.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Fri Jun 22, 2018 8:27 pm Somehow I knew Goodie Mob and Outkast, but not NWA (although I do know of Ice Cube), Wu-Tang Clan, or the Fat Boys.
It's two more than I knew!
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

Hi, Amanda and it's nice to have players join and share. I can't imagine the 4 month wait and vow of silence :D . I hope some of the excitement remains after the sense of relief. And thanks for accepting the challenge to represent the US against those evil Canadians with whom we will probably be at war during this Presidential administration! You came up strong out of the pandemonium at the end, only to be befuddled by some jargon.

I pre-called "One flew over the Cuckoo's Nest", but matching the title instead of the plot made "Vertigo" an easy one for me. I'd never have figured out clues based on the actual plot of most of these movies.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.