Friday, June 22, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

AmandaG

Re: Friday, June 22, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by AmandaG »

AFRET CMS wrote: Sat Jun 23, 2018 2:39 pm
Elijah Baley wrote: Fri Jun 22, 2018 6:23 pm
badgerfellow wrote: Fri Jun 22, 2018 5:16 pm
Elijah Baley wrote: Fri Jun 22, 2018 4:25 pm Give credit to Amanda for writing something down just to have a response for FJ, but I can't say that I've ever heard of that one.
Quite a deep cut: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Suspiria
I'd love to hear her thought process since she wrote her response so quickly. And, although it didn't work out for her, she looked like she had a great time.
It indeed did look like she was enjoying herself -- quite the sunniest smile we've seen in some time. Made me cheer up just to see it.

----------------------
(subsequent edit - above was posted before I saw Amanda was now on the board)

I'll join those welcoming you, Amanda! Three very good players and all were easy to root for. I'm usually pretty neutral and simply enjoy good game play, but I have to admit I was leaning in your favor. Hope you had a great time with the experience, and we'll look forward to future interactions here.
Aww, thanks, that's very kind. :) It was a great experience; everyone I spent the day with, both staff and contestants, made it especially fun!
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Fri Jun 22, 2018 8:27 pm 4/5 in H to H and Office Supplies, missing the bottom box in both.

Somehow I knew Goodie Mob and Outkast, but not NWA (although I do know of Ice Cube), Wu-Tang Clan, or the Fat Boys.

I know there is a film called Vertigo. I know there is a condition called vertigo. But neither surfaced in five minutes. Seven Year Itch lodged into my brain and refused to budge even though it didn't even remotely fit.
You at least came up with a movie from that era named for a disease. No, it wasn’t actually about the disease itself, but the clue didn’t say it was. Granted, it isn’t a suspense movie, but you at least had something that was plausible. And the right movie was in your memory bank. Good job.
squarekara
J! Reactionary

Post by squarekara »

AmandaG wrote: Sat Jun 23, 2018 5:46 pm I was just a lurker until I saw my name mentioned, lol, so. :mrgreen:
Welcome, Amanda!
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

squarekara wrote: Sat Jun 23, 2018 6:50 pm
AmandaG wrote: Sat Jun 23, 2018 5:46 pm I was just a lurker until I saw my name mentioned, lol, so. :mrgreen:
Welcome, Amanda!
Yes welcome. But no snakes. We don't allow snakes in here.
NoWhammies10
Relaxing In The Hot Tub

Post by NoWhammies10 »

Welcome, Amanda! You ran into two good players (I should know, Jordan was in my audition group in Toronto last fall). It was an excellent game, and you played brilliantly.
twelvefootboy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by twelvefootboy »

John Boy wrote: Sat Jun 23, 2018 12:11 pm
twelvefootboy wrote: Fri Jun 22, 2018 10:06 pm
Hi, Amanda and it's nice to have players join and share. I can't imagine the 4 month wait and vow of silence :D .
Please educate me about this. I have heard snippets about such a thing, to the effect that people are encouraged (ordered?) not to post (anything?) on the board when they become contestants. Is there such an order from TPTB? Does it involve ANY posting or is it limited to one's own game(s)? Does it cover the time from when you get The Call or only the time after your taping?

Curious minds want to know.

Thanks in advance for clarifying.
The contestants have weighed in. As a casual, not avid viewer, I knew there was some confidentiality requirements, but did not realize the length of the delay until learning about Cindy Stowell and joining this board. It seems anachronistic these days to need 3 months to edit a game show.

I attended a taping in early December (as have many boardies), and expected at least a polite request to keep our traps shut, or a handout along those lines. I assume TPTB recognized the futility, and the fact that there wouldn't be enough people who cared about the outcome in advance. They never even mentioned the idea at either the morning or afternoon taping.

It was fun to watch the episodes play out that we had seen, but frankly, after 14 weeks, everything but the FJ's were new again. :roll:
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

alietr wrote: Sun Jun 24, 2018 6:12 am Yes welcome. But no snakes. We don't allow snakes in here.
Welcome, Amanda! Post a picture of you and the snake!
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Bamaman wrote: Sat Jun 23, 2018 6:10 pm
TenPoundHammer wrote: Fri Jun 22, 2018 8:27 pm 4/5 in H to H and Office Supplies, missing the bottom box in both.

Somehow I knew Goodie Mob and Outkast, but not NWA (although I do know of Ice Cube), Wu-Tang Clan, or the Fat Boys.

I know there is a film called Vertigo. I know there is a condition called vertigo. But neither surfaced in five minutes. Seven Year Itch lodged into my brain and refused to budge even though it didn't even remotely fit.
You at least came up with a movie from that era named for a disease. No, it wasn’t actually about the disease itself, but the clue didn’t say it was. Granted, it isn’t a suspense movie, but you at least had something that was plausible. And the right movie was in your memory bank. Good job.
Not my worst miss by a long shot, either. On this one, I had seen the correct response at least twice, but my best WAG was Judge Dredd.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

OntarioQuizzer wrote: Fri Jun 22, 2018 10:47 pm
clprez wrote: Fri Jun 22, 2018 10:31 pm Do we now have to worry about a Canadian outchange? Don't know how that works.
Hasn't there truly been one since 1984?
This was my first thought when I saw the intro, whether this has happened before. Part of the reason I came here but no one answered the question if there’s been more than one Canadian in a single episode.
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
AndyTheQuizzer
Lots and Lots of Interviews

Post by AndyTheQuizzer »

dhkendall wrote: Mon Jun 25, 2018 9:09 am
OntarioQuizzer wrote: Fri Jun 22, 2018 10:47 pm
clprez wrote: Fri Jun 22, 2018 10:31 pm Do we now have to worry about a Canadian outchange? Don't know how that works.
Hasn't there truly been one since 1984?
This was my first thought when I saw the intro, whether this has happened before. Part of the reason I came here but no one answered the question if there’s been more than one Canadian in a single episode.
Did you look at my TJ!F recap? ;)
Andy Saunders
J! Archive Founding Archivist
Publisher - The Jeopardy! Fan
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

AmandaG wrote: Sat Jun 23, 2018 5:46 pm
squarekara wrote: Sat Jun 23, 2018 2:39 pm
John Boy wrote: Sat Jun 23, 2018 12:11 pm
twelvefootboy wrote: Fri Jun 22, 2018 10:06 pm
Hi, Amanda and it's nice to have players join and share. I can't imagine the 4 month wait and vow of silence :D .
Please educate me about this. I have heard snippets about such a thing, to the effect that people are encouraged (ordered?) not to post (anything?) on the board when they become contestants. Is there such an order from TPTB? Does it involve ANY posting or is it limited to one's own game(s)? Does it cover the time from when you get The Call or only the time after your taping?

Curious minds want to know.

Thanks in advance for clarifying.
The show sends out social media guidelines after contestants confirm their tape date. TPTB encourage people to promote their appearance on the show or describe their experience, but just to be careful about spoilers. This goes for the live audience as well, but the contestants run the risk of forfeiting their winnings if they let the cat out of the bag. Most contestants probably find it easier to refrain from public comment until the air date.
Yup, this! Someone who was an active board participant before becoming a contestant might know if TPTB address it specifically when you disclose that, but otherwise I assume the general "don't tell anyone anything before your air date, and don't be a douche on social media" guidelines apply. I was just a lurker until I saw my name mentioned, lol, so. :mrgreen:
Thanks, ladies. I know you're not supposed to "let the cat out of the bag" regarding whether you won, how many times, how much money, etc. Do they ask people to stay off the board altogether before your air date, or something of that sort?
squarekara
J! Reactionary

Post by squarekara »

John Boy wrote: Mon Jun 25, 2018 4:25 pm Do they ask people to stay off the board altogether before your air date, or something of that sort?
JBoard was not specifically addressed, but contestants are free to engage with social media as long as they don't leak game content prior to air. But, you know how it goes--once you start singing like a canary, it's difficult to keep track of how much you've said. Factor in excitement, elation, etc. and you might easily go too far. So, we expect to hear about your audition here and when you get The Call, but we will wait patiently until airdate for the play-by-play!
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

When my friend Robert was on Wheel, he said they specifically mentioned Buy a Vowel forums and asked if anyone in the room was a member. They didn't when I was on, though.
BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

Coryat: 42,800
52 R/1 W
DD: 2/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: muff, Aquino (DD), holograph, Goodie Mob, Henry VII, The Bells

I'm bad at movies, but "late '50s suspense film whose title is a medical condition" led me right to Vertigo. Now I have the U2 song of the same name stuck in my head. Catorce!

It was weird that Alex never gave the correct response to DD1. He mentioned that the saint was Thomas Aquinas, but not the hometown/Filipino last name that that should have led to, Aquino.

My legal training paid off quite a bit in this game, netting me holograph (you cover holographic wills in Trusts & Estates class), Con Law, and Mergers & Acquisitions (my area of legal specialty). OTOH, not having been in a law office for the last two years cost me on Bankers Box, which I used to see every day.
Sprinkles are for winners.
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

squarekara wrote: Mon Jun 25, 2018 6:07 pm
John Boy wrote: Mon Jun 25, 2018 4:25 pm Do they ask people to stay off the board altogether before your air date, or something of that sort?
JBoard was not specifically addressed, but contestants are free to engage with social media as long as they don't leak game content prior to air. But, you know how it goes--once you start singing like a canary, it's difficult to keep track of how much you've said. Factor in excitement, elation, etc. and you might easily go too far. So, we expect to hear about your audition here and when you get The Call, but we will wait patiently until airdate for the play-by-play!
Thank you ma'am. Live long and prosper.
earendel

Post by earendel »

BigDaddyMatty wrote: Tue Jun 26, 2018 4:02 amMy legal training paid off quite a bit in this game, netting me holograph (you cover holographic wills in Trusts & Estates class), Con Law, and Mergers & Acquisitions (my area of legal specialty). OTOH, not having been in a law office for the last two years cost me on Bankers Box, which I used to see every day.
I got this from reading Perry Mason books when I was young (my mother was a huge fan and actually had all of Earl Stanley Gardner's books in paperback). Holographic wills play a part in several of the cases.
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

BigDaddyMatty wrote: Tue Jun 26, 2018 4:02 am My legal training paid off quite a bit in this game, netting me holograph (you cover holographic wills in Trusts & Estates class), Con Law, and Mergers & Acquisitions (my area of legal specialty). OTOH, not having been in a law office for the last two years cost me on Bankers Box, which I used to see every day.
But does your business card have a watermark?

(Also, yes, that movie got me M&A)
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)