Friday, June 22, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, dhkendall, trainman, econgator

User avatar
mxc_takeshi
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 766
Joined: Wed Apr 30, 2014 11:09 pm
Location: Cynthiana, KY

Re: Friday, June 22, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by mxc_takeshi » Fri Jun 22, 2018 10:07 pm

35 right.

Rocks & Minerals (3), Landmark (4), Surnames (1), "H" to "H" (3), Office Supplies (4), Football (3)
Class at Harvard (2), Hip-Hop Group (2), U.S. Cities (4), Poets & Poetry (4), Very Small Talk (2), Real Game of Thrones (3)

Lach Trash: Henry VII, The Bells

Instaget FJ because of "1958 suspense film"; if just given the term "vestibular rehabilitation", I wouldn't have linked it to vertigo.

clprez
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 738
Joined: Wed Feb 26, 2014 9:01 pm

Re: Friday, June 22, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by clprez » Fri Jun 22, 2018 10:31 pm

Do we now have to worry about a Canadian outchange? Don't know how that works.

I have Meniere's disease and spent about a year in vestibular rehab for my vertigo bouts, so this FJ was a piece of cake.

User avatar
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard
Posts: 5994
Joined: Thu Aug 11, 2011 2:33 pm
Location: Shawnee, KS
Contact:

Re: Friday, June 22, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by opusthepenguin » Fri Jun 22, 2018 10:34 pm

clprez wrote:
Fri Jun 22, 2018 10:31 pm
Do we now have to worry about a Canadian outchange? Don't know how that works.
They take over but they're really apologetic.

User avatar
OntarioQuizzer
Lots and Lots of Interviews
Posts: 1008
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 11:01 am

Re: Friday, June 22, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by OntarioQuizzer » Fri Jun 22, 2018 10:47 pm

clprez wrote:
Fri Jun 22, 2018 10:31 pm
Do we now have to worry about a Canadian outchange? Don't know how that works.
Hasn't there truly been one since 1984?
Andy Saunders
Moderator, #JeopardyLivePanel
Host, Complete The List
J! Archive Founding Archivist
Site Admin - The Jeopardy! Fan

User avatar
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur
Posts: 5931
Joined: Thu Jul 14, 2011 11:42 pm
Contact:

Re: Friday, June 22, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Volante » Fri Jun 22, 2018 11:40 pm

Breaking Bad got me Schwartz. Walter White's business partner was named Schwartz and they named their company 'Gray Matter' as a pun combining black and white.

Not quite an insta-final, but pretty close.

User avatar
CasketRomance
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 557
Joined: Fri May 22, 2015 2:40 pm

Re: Friday, June 22, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by CasketRomance » Fri Jun 22, 2018 11:44 pm

tonight was the first time i ever have welcomed trebek's lame accents....only reason i got that burns dude right for one of the poetry clues

User avatar
CasketRomance
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 557
Joined: Fri May 22, 2015 2:40 pm

Re: Friday, June 22, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by CasketRomance » Fri Jun 22, 2018 11:48 pm

Elijah Baley wrote:
Fri Jun 22, 2018 4:25 pm
Give credit to Amanda for writing something down just to have a response for FJ, but I can't say that I've ever heard of that one.
how she came up with suspiria and not vertigo is beyond me...suspiria is a 1970s italian horror film...famous in the horror world, but would not have thought in the mainstream...saw pieces of it when i worked at a video store when i was 14, but never the whole film

User avatar
CasketRomance
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 557
Joined: Fri May 22, 2015 2:40 pm

Re: Friday, June 22, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by CasketRomance » Fri Jun 22, 2018 11:50 pm

econgator wrote:
Fri Jun 22, 2018 7:29 pm
Not the slightest clue what vestibular rehabilitation is, but Vertigo fit the other part, so that was my guess.
same for me...knew vertigo came out around that time...only other movie with a condition in the title that i could come up with at the time was "heartburn" and knew that came out in the 80s

User avatar
econgator
Let's Go Mets!
Posts: 7573
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 10:32 am

Re: Friday, June 22, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by econgator » Sat Jun 23, 2018 12:29 am

Volante wrote:
Fri Jun 22, 2018 11:40 pm
Breaking Bad got me Schwartz. Walter White's business partner was named Schwartz and they named their company 'Gray Matter' as a pun combining black and white.
Certainly a valid way (and one of the best shows ever), but I would have thought most would get it from Black Forest = Schwarzwald.

User avatar
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion
Posts: 4097
Joined: Mon Dec 17, 2012 1:35 am
Location: Seattle

Re: Friday, June 22, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by This Is Kirk! » Sat Jun 23, 2018 1:33 am

mxc_takeshi wrote:
Fri Jun 22, 2018 10:07 pm
Instaget FJ because of "1958 suspense film"; if just given the term "vestibular rehabilitation", I wouldn't have linked it to vertigo.
Exact opposite for me. I think this one is going to poll quite high. The three of us watching at my house all got it instantly.

User avatar
harrumph
Voyeur
Posts: 1541
Joined: Mon Sep 26, 2011 12:00 pm
Location: Princeton, NJ

Re: Friday, June 22, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by harrumph » Sat Jun 23, 2018 2:41 am

How I knew one of the clues department: in my job as an appraiser in a used record store, earlier in the week I handled a large collection that included a spoken word reading of T. S. Eliot's Four Quartets.

User avatar
TenPoundHammer
Oahu? Wahoo!
Posts: 6779
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 2:59 pm
Location: Michigan
Contact:

Re: Friday, June 22, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by TenPoundHammer » Sat Jun 23, 2018 2:55 am

This Is Kirk! wrote:
Sat Jun 23, 2018 1:33 am
mxc_takeshi wrote:
Fri Jun 22, 2018 10:07 pm
Instaget FJ because of "1958 suspense film"; if just given the term "vestibular rehabilitation", I wouldn't have linked it to vertigo.
Exact opposite for me. I think this one is going to poll quite high. The three of us watching at my house all got it instantly.
So if I knew both pieces of this, why couldn't I put them together?
Ten Pound Hammer

This space for rent

User avatar
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur
Posts: 5931
Joined: Thu Jul 14, 2011 11:42 pm
Contact:

Re: Friday, June 22, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Volante » Sat Jun 23, 2018 10:05 am

econgator wrote:
Sat Jun 23, 2018 12:29 am
Volante wrote:
Fri Jun 22, 2018 11:40 pm
Breaking Bad got me Schwartz. Walter White's business partner was named Schwartz and they named their company 'Gray Matter' as a pun combining black and white.
Certainly a valid way (and one of the best shows ever), but I would have thought most would get it from Black Forest = Schwarzwald.
I didn't grok that until after that episode either :lol:

Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes
Posts: 9039
Joined: Sat Jul 02, 2011 1:39 pm

Re: Friday, June 22, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Bamaman » Sat Jun 23, 2018 12:09 pm

econgator wrote:
Fri Jun 22, 2018 7:29 pm
Not the slightest clue what vestibular rehabilitation is, but Vertigo fit the other part, so that was my guess.
I went with the only movie named for a disease that came to mind and it was right.

John Boy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 2130
Joined: Fri Jul 15, 2011 7:11 am

Re: Friday, June 22, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by John Boy » Sat Jun 23, 2018 12:11 pm

twelvefootboy wrote:
Fri Jun 22, 2018 10:06 pm

Hi, Amanda and it's nice to have players join and share. I can't imagine the 4 month wait and vow of silence :D .
Please educate me about this. I have heard snippets about such a thing, to the effect that people are encouraged (ordered?) not to post (anything?) on the board when they become contestants. Is there such an order from TPTB? Does it involve ANY posting or is it limited to one's own game(s)? Does it cover the time from when you get The Call or only the time after your taping?

Curious minds want to know.

Thanks in advance for clarifying.

User avatar
AFRET CMS
Jeopardy! Champion
Posts: 684
Joined: Thu Jan 26, 2017 2:48 pm
Location: Colorado

Re: Friday, June 22, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by AFRET CMS » Sat Jun 23, 2018 2:39 pm

Elijah Baley wrote:
Fri Jun 22, 2018 6:23 pm
badgerfellow wrote:
Fri Jun 22, 2018 5:16 pm
Elijah Baley wrote:
Fri Jun 22, 2018 4:25 pm
Give credit to Amanda for writing something down just to have a response for FJ, but I can't say that I've ever heard of that one.
Quite a deep cut: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Suspiria
I'd love to hear her thought process since she wrote her response so quickly. And, although it didn't work out for her, she looked like she had a great time.
It indeed did look like she was enjoying herself -- quite the sunniest smile we've seen in some time. Made me cheer up just to see it.

----------------------
(subsequent edit - above was posted before I saw Amanda was now on the board)

I'll join those welcoming you, Amanda! Three very good players and all were easy to root for. I'm usually pretty neutral and simply enjoy good game play, but I have to admit I was leaning in your favor. Hope you had a great time with the experience, and we'll look forward to future interactions here.
Last edited by AFRET CMS on Sat Jun 23, 2018 2:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I'm not the defending Jeopardy! champion. But I have played one on TV.

squarekara
LEGO my Ego
Posts: 549
Joined: Wed Feb 08, 2017 12:49 am
Location: Land o' Lincoln

Re: Friday, June 22, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by squarekara » Sat Jun 23, 2018 2:39 pm

John Boy wrote:
Sat Jun 23, 2018 12:11 pm
twelvefootboy wrote:
Fri Jun 22, 2018 10:06 pm

Hi, Amanda and it's nice to have players join and share. I can't imagine the 4 month wait and vow of silence :D .
Please educate me about this. I have heard snippets about such a thing, to the effect that people are encouraged (ordered?) not to post (anything?) on the board when they become contestants. Is there such an order from TPTB? Does it involve ANY posting or is it limited to one's own game(s)? Does it cover the time from when you get The Call or only the time after your taping?

Curious minds want to know.

Thanks in advance for clarifying.
The show sends out social media guidelines after contestants confirm their tape date. TPTB encourage people to promote their appearance on the show or describe their experience, but just to be careful about spoilers. This goes for the live audience as well, but the contestants run the risk of forfeiting their winnings if they let the cat out of the bag. Most contestants probably find it easier to refrain from public comment until the air date.

User avatar
LucarioSnooperVixey
No Life
Posts: 398
Joined: Sun Jan 15, 2017 8:41 pm
Location: New Jersey

Re: Friday, June 22, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey » Sat Jun 23, 2018 3:25 pm

44 R
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: (Aquinas), Holograph, (Great Falls), The English Channel, Henry, The Bells

0/5 in Hip-Hop Groups.
Known in the real world as Douglas Squasoni.

davey
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 2944
Joined: Thu Jan 12, 2012 10:55 pm

Re: Friday, June 22, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by davey » Sat Jun 23, 2018 5:23 pm

DBear wrote:
Fri Jun 22, 2018 8:39 pm
econgator wrote:
Fri Jun 22, 2018 7:29 pm
Not the slightest clue what vestibular rehabilitation is, but Vertigo fit the other part, so that was my guess.
Yeah, that. Went from 1958 suspense film alone, got Vertigo
But what about...Touch of Evil, or The Fly, or It! The Terror from Beyond Space...?... ;)

AmandaG
Just Starting Out on JBoard
Posts: 4
Joined: Fri Jun 22, 2018 7:00 pm

Re: Friday, June 22, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by AmandaG » Sat Jun 23, 2018 5:46 pm

squarekara wrote:
Sat Jun 23, 2018 2:39 pm
John Boy wrote:
Sat Jun 23, 2018 12:11 pm
twelvefootboy wrote:
Fri Jun 22, 2018 10:06 pm

Hi, Amanda and it's nice to have players join and share. I can't imagine the 4 month wait and vow of silence :D .
Please educate me about this. I have heard snippets about such a thing, to the effect that people are encouraged (ordered?) not to post (anything?) on the board when they become contestants. Is there such an order from TPTB? Does it involve ANY posting or is it limited to one's own game(s)? Does it cover the time from when you get The Call or only the time after your taping?

Curious minds want to know.

Thanks in advance for clarifying.
The show sends out social media guidelines after contestants confirm their tape date. TPTB encourage people to promote their appearance on the show or describe their experience, but just to be careful about spoilers. This goes for the live audience as well, but the contestants run the risk of forfeiting their winnings if they let the cat out of the bag. Most contestants probably find it easier to refrain from public comment until the air date.
Yup, this! Someone who was an active board participant before becoming a contestant might know if TPTB address it specifically when you disclose that, but otherwise I assume the general "don't tell anyone anything before your air date, and don't be a douche on social media" guidelines apply. I was just a lurker until I saw my name mentioned, lol, so. :mrgreen:

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: StevenH and 25 guests