Fun with GSN's "America Says"

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Fun with GSN's "America Says"

Post by MarkBarrett »

The show is hosted by John Michael Higgins: https://www.imdb.com/name/nm0383422/ and has similarities to Family Feud

There are two teams with four players each though not necessarily family members. More often their connection is a hobby or job.
The first letter for each answer is provided. A player who gives a right answer can name another one. If it is a miss then the next player gets a chance and the team plays until time runs out.

If they sweep they get a bonus for having got all seven right. If answers remain after time is up the other team can fill in answers until they miss. Unlike Family Feud they are not stealing the entire pot and only getting points for each one they get right.

I thought Hammer would like this set:
Spoiler
The answer with larger letters is the most popular result from the polling. The length of the blank lines indicate the approximate length of the answer.
The correct answers all filled in.
Spoiler
This GSN show concludes with a bonus round worth $15,000 as the winning team has to get a question with one top answer, then one with two, three and finally four before one minute is up. I’ve seen I think six shows and the team has won twice.

There is no returning team and each show has all new players.
MarkBarrett

Re: Fun with GSN's "America Says"

Post by MarkBarrett »

Eight players between the two teams could not fill in the blanks and I was completely stumped as well.

Here it is from the 6/27 show:
Spoiler
The first team filled in the five answers shown in their 30 allowed seconds.

Some guesses by the players or my guesses that were not there obviously with the leading letter not present:
Spoiler
sheep
innkeeper
Joseph
Herod
donkey
drummer boy
reindeer
camel
star
What filled in the two blanks:
Spoiler
Rudolph & Scrooge

Nice job by America taking the question on a non-religious detour to make it quite hard with the mixture of traditional nativity story elements.
xxaaaxx

Post by xxaaaxx »

MarkBarrett wrote: Wed Jun 27, 2018 9:44 pm Eight players between the two teams could not fill in the blanks and I was completely stumped as well.

Spoiler

Some guesses by the players or my guesses that were not there obviously with the leading letter not present:
Spoiler
sheep
innkeeper
Joseph
Herod
donkey
drummer boy
reindeer
camel
star
Spoiler
Rudolph & Scrooge

Nice job by America taking the question on a non-religious detour to make it quite hard with the mixture of traditional nativity story elements.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Shame is, I guessed the R one before reading the question fully, then discarded it. That would make one hell of a play.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

xxaaaxx wrote: Wed Jun 27, 2018 10:32 pm
MarkBarrett wrote: Wed Jun 27, 2018 9:44 pm Eight players between the two teams could not fill in the blanks and I was completely stumped as well.

Spoiler

Spoiler
sheep
innkeeper
Joseph
Herod
donkey
drummer boy
reindeer
camel
star
Spoiler
Rudolph & Scrooge

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Shame is, I guessed the R one before reading the question fully, then discarded it. That would make one hell of a play.
Spoiler
Turns out Rudolph was the Star of Bethlehem all along.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Shadows (5), Foxy Brown (7), Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6)
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

This is one from the 11/27 episode:
Spoiler

Answers:
Spoiler
The first team had 30 seconds and filled in 6 of the 7 answers.  The other team had a chance to steal the one remaining.
Conclusion:
Spoiler
The second team guessed "Capitol Building" even though "Capitol" was already shown.  The last answer that none of the adults could figure out reminded me of the teens on J! last week.  It was of course cherry blossoms.
It's nice to have a second season with new episodes.
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

So apparently, a team is allowed to be on the show more than once as long as they have a different name?

There was a team of four guys called "The Princess Leias" and then they came back later in a different episode as "The Golden Girls".
Douglas Squasoni
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

From the 12/6 episode:
Spoiler
The answers:
Spoiler
Comments:
Spoiler
The first team got 4: Trebek, Sajak, Barker & Carey
The second team cleaned up the remaining three.
I only got 6 right as I'm old and had Dick Clark. My play-along method is to pause after the question and blanks are revealed and take about 30 seconds to get what I can from that initial look before the contestants speak.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

MarkBarrett wrote: Mon Jun 25, 2018 1:42 pm I thought Hammer would like this set:
Spoiler
The answer with larger letters is the most popular result from the polling. The length of the blank lines indicate the approximate length of the answer.
The correct answers all filled in.
Spoiler
Yeah, that one was easy. Good to see a mix of old and new artists in there too.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

The 8/8 show in the bonus round had:

When I think of Noah from the Bible I think of:

A__

A______

F_______

R______ C____

Answers:
Spoiler
Ark and Animals of course. A team member said flood and got credit for Flooding. The one no one got? Russell Crowe. The bonus money was safe to keep GSN's budget in line and that last one did not matter since the team had another blank they could not get earlier when there were three blanks. Still, I applaud anyone who makes the leap from the Bible to the recent movie and its star. I was making a stretch to Rainbow Covenant for my best guess. Boooo!
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

MarkBarrett wrote: Fri Aug 09, 2019 12:51 am The 8/8 show in the bonus round had:

When I think of Noah from the Bible I think of:

A__

A______

F_______

R______ C____

Answers:
Spoiler
Ark and Animals of course. A team member said flood and got credit for Flooding. The one no one got? Russell Crowe. The bonus money was safe to keep GSN's budget in line and that last one did not matter since the team had another blank they could not get earlier when there were three blanks. Still, I applaud anyone who makes the leap from the Bible to the recent movie and its star. I was making a stretch to Rainbow Covenant for my best guess. Boooo!
I got RC but missed F. Sheesh. Your alternate for RC is pretty good.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Is there anything preventing the second A from being Ararat?
billiej

Post by billiej »

LucarioSnooperVixey wrote: Thu Nov 29, 2018 3:17 pm So apparently, a team is allowed to be on the show more than once as long as they have a different name?

There was a team of four guys called "The Princess Leias" and then they came back later in a different episode as "The Golden Girls".
Just change your name, no pesky ties to trip you up. :lol:
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

alietr wrote: Fri Aug 09, 2019 8:11 am Is there anything preventing the second A from being Ararat?
It's got to be the one they're going for. Doesn't matter if something else fits.
LucarioSnooperVixey

Did anyone notice the glitch in Round 2 on tonight's episode? The question was, "When I think of a word that precedes Shower, I think of ___."

The big answer was originally B___ as in Baby Shower. But once the clock started, the big answer changed to S_____. The answer was Spring Shower.
Douglas Squasoni
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

LucarioSnooperVixey wrote: Tue Aug 20, 2019 1:16 am Did anyone notice the glitch in Round 2 on tonight's episode? The question was, "When I think of a word that precedes Shower, I think of ___."

The big answer was originally B___ as in Baby Shower. But once the clock started, the big answer changed to S_____. The answer was Spring Shower.
Yes, I noticed it as well. Probably someone on the team or in the audience blurted it out improperly without it getting noticed by the editor? Baby Shower made sense for the big answer so Spring had to be part of some kind of reshuffle and toss out.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

S3 Ep72 (10/29/2019): The Fleeks vs. The Canadians is one to see:
Spoiler

The Canadians swept all 7 clues from each of the three rounds they opened for 10400 points and then finished the great night by winning the bonus round. It would have been perfection except they missed some possible pick-ups from answers the other team did not get when opening a set.
LucarioSnooperVixey

MarkBarrett wrote: Wed Oct 30, 2019 12:38 am S3 Ep72 (10/29/2019): The Fleeks vs. The Canadians is one to see:
Spoiler

The Canadians swept all 7 clues from each of the three rounds they opened for 10400 points and then finished the great night by winning the bonus round. It would have been perfection except they missed some possible pick-ups from answers the other team did not get when opening a set.
Doug from Canadians: "And from our vantage point, north of the border, we've been watching you Americans for a long time and we think we know what you're gonna say."
Douglas Squasoni
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

More unbelievable than fun.

When I think about gingerbread, I think of ___

The team got:
Christmas
Houses
Cookies

H_____ A__ G_____

Four team members, that means four heads, and 35 seconds remaining after they cleared the first three of four and they could not get:
Spoiler
Hansel and Gretel
Fortunately they used their skip on the third question, so may not have won the bonus money anway.
LucarioSnooperVixey

Funny that this episode and question aired the week LeVar Burton hosted Jeopardy!
Attachments
A49F8B31-ABF2-431D-97DC-F4FE97E6B79B.jpeg
A49F8B31-ABF2-431D-97DC-F4FE97E6B79B.jpeg (59.49 KiB) Viewed 7225 times
Douglas Squasoni
LucarioSnooperVixey

Two episodes in a row, a contestant had quit being an English teacher due to too much grading. I guess I am making the right choice sticking with my math major. :)
Douglas Squasoni