Tuesday, June 26, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Re: Tuesday, June 26, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by opusthepenguin »

morbeedo wrote: Tue Jun 26, 2018 11:13 pm Would someone please post ideal wagers for the last clue DD and FJ (2nd and 3rd)
Ok, now here were the scores going into FJ:

Kelly: 18000
Jeff: 13400
Andrew: 13999

Kelly should make the shutout bet against Andrew: 9999. Most of us wouldn't fault her for rounding that up to 10000. She drops to 8000 or 8001 on a miss, which isn't a bad position.

Andrew can do one of two things: 1) Make the shutout bet against Jeff: 12801. (This is what he did.) If he misses FJ, he's hosed (or, as it turns out, not). But if he gets it right, he only needs for Kelly to get it wrong and he wins. Jeff is irrelevant in this scenario. 2) Wager $0 to $598. That way he stays ahead of Jeff even if he misses. In this scenario he wins on a triple stumper or a sole get. Which way he goes depends on the category and his assessment of the competition I guess.

I'd say Jeff should wager 4601. Guards against $0 wagers by Jeff or Kelly. But if he misses, he's still ahead of Kelly's 8001 (assuming she made the shutout bet). So he wins on a triple stumper.

This game does provide a demonstration of the significant leverage a contestant gains by learning to wager. Those who have done so would have won today from any of the three positions.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

opusthepenguin wrote: Tue Jun 26, 2018 9:22 pm I agree that we need to be allowed to offer our critiques, even if we risk the occasional contestant deciding not to de-lurk. But perhaps there are ways to minimize to minimize that risk? Herewith some thoughts on how to do so:
Thank you for your wise words, Opus. I think you said it well. I didn't have any qualm with the way Golf stated it; I think he was actually quite tempered in his post (this time). 9021amyers, on the other hand, is an example of how not to say it.
Elijah Baley
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by Elijah Baley »

opusthepenguin wrote: Tue Jun 26, 2018 8:14 pm
9021amyers wrote: Tue Jun 26, 2018 8:00 pm Andrew is the luckiest winner in Jeopardy! history. He had some hilariously-incorrect responses in the early rounds, vaulted into second on a stupid wager, and was only gifted victory on a final wager even stupider than his own. If he gets a third game, I’m done.
You misspelled, "vaulted into second by making the necessary gutsy wager that almost every other contestant would've chickened out on."
Extremely gutsy - and was it a $2000 DD? A timid wager here might have worked out - in light of how FJ went - but the odds were certainly better to take that chance to get into second.

As for Andrew's wild Broadway guesses - they certainly made for some chuckles. I suspect he'd be the first to admit that he didn't know much about the category but hoped that a little knowledge would be worth a swing at them, like a show with a witch might mean Wicked. And, most importantly, he was the beneficiary of some unwise FJ wagering and now he gets a second chance. You never know how things are going to play out and that's probably a good thing since it would be pretty boring if everything went the way it always has in the past.
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

To me, this was an example of a game where the players' knowledge base wasn't bad (though Andrew was too prone to guess -- I'll see if he calms down as champ) but whose wagering mistakes cost them dearly. FJ came to me quickly: Dha-? Gotta be Dhaka, so Bangladesh it is.
slam
Auditioning Since 1985

Post by slam »

Vowela wrote: Tue Jun 26, 2018 7:37 pm United Arab Emirates was a perfectly valid guess, and what I went with. I can't think of anything that would've made it any better or worse a guess than Bangladesh, aside from it being wrong, anyway :P.
I sort of agree with you. But the similarity to "Bollywood" made me start my search in the vicinity of India which led me directly to Dhaka and Bangladesh. Also, I wonder how active a film industry the UAE has?
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Nothing came to me on FJ. World capitals of countries you don't hear about much isn't my strong suit.

I was fine with no BMS on Trudeau as the year pretty much made it clear it was Justin. As for politicians like the Trudeaus where two who had the same job and same name, I'd say "it depends". If a year or something clearly related to one over the other, there doesn't need to be a BMS. If they answer about WWII, it is obvious what Roosevelt they are going for. If they just say "He died in Warm Springs, Georgia", you need a first name.

I liked Andrew's DD wager. He was below Kelly's MSBIW so he needed to go big. A bet of $2,200 puts him with less than half of Jeff's score, so going all in was his only option.

Yes, he did offer the tie in FJ, but maybe he did the calculation based on having $14,000 and forgot to add the extra extra dollar.
Vowela

Post by Vowela »

slam wrote: Wed Jun 27, 2018 1:57 pm
Vowela wrote: Tue Jun 26, 2018 7:37 pm United Arab Emirates was a perfectly valid guess, and what I went with. I can't think of anything that would've made it any better or worse a guess than Bangladesh, aside from it being wrong, anyway :P.
I sort of agree with you. But the similarity to "Bollywood" made me start my search in the vicinity of India which led me directly to Dhaka and Bangladesh. Also, I wonder how active a film industry the UAE has?
Trying to decide which country was more likely to have an active film industry would've gotten me nowhere, but it's a fair enough point. A little tricky, but fair. Answering with the first country you can think of with a "Dha" capital ain't always going to get you to the right answer :lol:.
davey

Post by davey »

3 of the last 4 FJ's are geography clues...I'm not a fan of disguising this one as an arts clue... :roll:
Maybe because I'm actually aware that Senegal has a film industry...Ousmane Sembène was the most acclaimed Senegalese filmmaker...I stuck with that country far too long. Then, when I realized it couldn't be right, I moved on to...Tanzania... Not enough time left to change continents!...:roll: :roll:
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

Today's "separated at birth" entry: Scott Wolf from "Party Of Five" and Andrew. :D
squarekara
J! Reactionary

Post by squarekara »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Thu Jun 28, 2018 12:39 am Today's "separated at birth" entry: Scott Wolf from "Party Of Five" and Andrew. :D
That's it! He reminded me of someone, and I knew Michael J. Fox wasn't quite right. Thank you!
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

OntarioQuizzer wrote: Tue Jun 26, 2018 12:20 pm
MarkBarrett wrote: Tue Jun 26, 2018 12:09 pm Time to do a refresher course on capitals to get myself back to over 100 at least that I would have had handy back in 2005. By 2018 I lose a couple each year it seems. At least I can handle the important stuff like Muppets whether on J! or LL.
That's what Sporcle is for! ;)
i prefer jetpunk
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

Elijah Baley wrote: Tue Jun 26, 2018 1:00 pm Is it ok to say "questionable wagering alert!"?

But this was a pretty tricky FJ - Bollywood is probably pushing it for Americans in terms of foreign cinema and Dhallywood is a bit of a reach in terms of shoe-horning that capital into the theme.
wonder what they would say about nollywood? especially since it is the leading producer of films in the world annually
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

slam wrote: Wed Jun 27, 2018 1:57 pm
so since you said you were inclined to go to that area because of "bollywood", what about "nollywood"? nowhere near india
BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

Coryat: 49,400
56 R/1 W
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: Margaret Mead, tapenade, Benazir Bhutto, things that growl, individual

This was by far the most successful game I've ever had. My only non-gets were augur, economical, Emerald City (neg with Lilliput), and Casterbridge (NHO). Had I been paying attention to the entire Unreal Estate $400 clue rather than trying to recall the name "Lilliput," I would have seen "Munchkins" and ended up with a $50,000+ Coryat. Note to TPTB: please save games like this one for when I am on stage. :D
opusthepenguin wrote: Wed Jun 27, 2018 4:51 am If Andrew really really hates the category, I think he should bet 2200. But I wouldn't be able to come up with that number under the lights. Even now I'm not confident I have it right. My thinking is this. If Kelly makes the shutout bet against Jeff in FJ, she'll drop to 8799 on a miss. If Andrew stays above half that score, he can win on a sole get and an overwager by Jeff. (Contestants in Jeff's position frequently overwager.) Losing that 2200 won't put Andrew in a worse position than losing $5, I don't think. And if he gets the DD right, he's better off winning the 2200. It puts him in a position to win on a triple stumper. That or a sole get will be his only hope for winning.
If Andrew really really hates the category, I don't think he should wager more than $299. That would guarantee that he'd go into FJ! more than half of Jeff's total, giving him the ability to win on a single get without having to also hope for an overwager.

That said, I thought his wager was absolutely perfect, including his reserving a dollar to guarantee a spot in the FJ! round.
Sprinkles are for winners.
Golf
Wet Paper Bag Charmer

Post by Golf »

Bamaman wrote: Wed Jun 27, 2018 3:32 pm I liked Andrew's DD wager. He was below Kelly's MSBIW so he needed to go big. A bet of $2,200 puts him with less than half of Jeff's score, so going all in was his only option.
You don't have to be within half of the leader's score if they have to wager against another player, which was the case here. If he gets to $9200 he doesn't have to wager anything to win on a TS with standard wagers. If he misses, a double up in FJ gets him to $9600. Of course in this situation you need a less than optimal wager from second, but how often does second have the wagering savvy to lock out third?

It would be interesting to run the numbers comparing wagers of $7000 and $2200 to see which offers the better winning chances.

Vowela wrote: Wed Jun 27, 2018 4:02 pm Answering with the first country you can think of with a "Dha" capital ain't always going to get you to the right answer :lol:.
It's not?
davey

Post by davey »

Golf wrote: Thu Jun 28, 2018 9:13 am
Vowela wrote: Wed Jun 27, 2018 4:02 pm Answering with the first country you can think of with a "Dha" capital ain't always going to get you to the right answer :lol:.
It's not?
Considering that In most circumstances J! wouldn't require us to remember if a world capital begins with Da or Dha it's a defensible statement.
Vowela

Post by Vowela »

It's not?
Abu Dhabi came to me pretty quickly. I probably didn't try hard enough after that to think if someplace else might fit the clue a little better.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

Vowela wrote: Thu Jun 28, 2018 2:50 pm
It's not?
Abu Dhabi came to me pretty quickly. I probably didn't try hard enough after that to think if someplace else might fit the clue a little better.
Of course, if we believe the $1000 SIGNING IN THE REIGN clue from this game the capital of United Arab Emirates is Dubai.

A quick search of my capitals spreadsheet confirms that UAE is the only other country with a dha anywhere in its capital. After that you have to ignore the h to get to Senegal or go full bowln dyslexic to get to Saudi Arabia.