Thursday, June 28, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Thursday, June 28, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

Game Recap for Show #7794, 2018-06-28

CONTESTANTS
Kat Long, a journalist from New York, New York
Frank Young, an animation writer from Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Scott McFadden, a librarian from Muncie, Indiana (whose 1-day cash winnings total $26,001)

OPENING REMARKS
Alex: Thank you, thank you. Thanks, Johnny. Hi, folks. A lot of money picked up by Scott on yesterday's program. We have had some exciting, highly contested games all this week. Let's keep it going today. Kat and Frank, welcome aboard. Here we go. Now the categories...

JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
DAYTIME TV MEMORIES (5/5)
KITCHEN CONFUSION (4/5)
CHILDREN'S BOOKS (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
HODGEPODGE (4/5)
"F"IVE-LETTER WORDS (5/5)
BRUSH UP ON YOUR... (4/5) (Alex: We want you to name the country with the most speakers of the language we give you.)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Kat: 11 R, 2 W
Frank: 9 R, 1 W
Scott: 7 R (including 1 rebound and 1 DD), 1 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 3
Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $1,800

SCORES AT THE FIRST BREAK
Kat: $4,600
Frank: $2,400
Scott: -$600

CONTESTANT INTERVIEWS

Alex: Kat Long is a journalist from New York who, in addition to doing work in journalism, worked for a company that does what, creates fragrances?

Kat: Yes. Several years ago I worked for a fragrance company who created fragrances for celebrity clients. And part of the perk of the job was to have the celebrities come in to sniff the prototypes, and they often sniffed them on my arms. So, that was--

Alex: You have the most sniffed arms of any person who's ever appeared on Jeopardy!

Kat: That's quite possible, yes.

Alex: Okay. Good for you.

Alex: Frank Young.

Frank: Yes.

Alex: Animation writer from Toronto. We've had a lot of Canadians on the program lately. Now, there was a--well, not necessarily unpleasant, but not great experience you had when you overheard two women doing what?

Frank: I was in a coffee shop, and just behind me in line, there were these two women talking about a show I had written. It's a very popular show with young kids. I don't need to say the name. But I thought, "You know, this is great. I can turn around, introduce myself, say I wrote a bunch of episodes from it." And before I could do that, one of the women--and I can't use the language she used--but she said, "I hate that show. My kids whine to watch it. We're spending all the money on the toys." And I just turned around and got my coffee and left. Showbiz.

Alex: Hey, smart move on your part.

Frank: Yes.

Alex: Scott McFadden is a librarian. He's from Muncie, Indiana. He's our champion. And you're very active in community theater, are you not?

Scott: I am. I've played--gotten the chance to play many roles. I played Cogsworth in Beauty and the Beast. I was in Damn Yankees recently. My wife, Donna, directed that, so I had the in to get that role. And--

Alex: Have you ever done The Music Man?

Scott: The Music Man? No, I'd love to do that, but I haven't had a chance to do that one yet.

Alex: Okay, something to look forward to.

Scott: Maybe next year.

JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Scott found the Daily Double on the 24th clue. Scott had no money, Frank had $3,600, and Kat was at $5,800. Scott wagered $1,000.

CHILDREN'S BOOKS $800: A selfish boy takes shade & apples, among other things, from this, the title of a Shel Silverstein classic

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
KITCHEN CONFUSION $200: If this spicy powder ends with an "E", it's likely pure; with an "I", it's a blend
(Kat: What is curry?)

HODGEPODGE $1000: Promoting healthy eating & reducing salt consumption, the DASH diet stands for Dietary Approaches to Stop this
(Scott: What is heart disease?)

BRUSH UP ON YOUR... $600: Tatar
(Frank: What is Kazakhstan?)

SCORES AT THE END OF THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
Kat: $7,000
Frank: $4,600
Scott: $2,800
Last edited by Archivists on Wed Jan 30, 2019 4:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Thursday, June 28, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
NOWHERE LAND (4/5)
MOVIE / STARS (4/5)
1958 (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
MENTAL FITNESS BOOKSHELF (4/5)
GEORGE GERSHWIN (5/5)
IRA (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Scott: 14 R (including 1 DD), 1 W
Kat: 8 R (including 1 DD), 0 W
Frank: 5 R, 0 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 3
Double Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $5,200

FIRST DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Kat snagged the next Daily Double on the 20th clue. Scott had $10,000, Frank had $10,200, and Kat was at $13,000. Kat wagered $3,000.

1958 $2000: Later vice president, he was elected to the first of 4 terms as governor of New York

SECOND DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
It was Scott who snatched up the last Daily Double of the game on the 24th clue. Scott had $12,400, Frank had $10,200, and Kat was at $16,000. Scott wagered $3,000.

IRA $1600: Contributions but not always distributions are taxed in the type of IRA named for this Delaware senator

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND
MOVIE / STARS $1600: 2016:
Kristen Wiig,
Kate McKinnon

NOWHERE LAND $1600: Sent to work for an obscure movie co., Clark Gable asked employees, "Why ain't you wearing parkas in" this region?
(Alex: He went to work for Columbia, and it was considered [*].)

MENTAL FITNESS BOOKSHELF $2000: A book shows how "Predictably Irrational" we are--a pain pill worked better if subjects were told its this was higher
(Scott: What is dosage?)

SCORES ENTERING FINAL JEOPARDY!
Scott: $17,400
Kat: $16,800
Frank: $11,400

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
SHAKESPEARE

VENUSIAN MONOLOGUES/MARTIAN CHRONICLES
Four-fifths for first place.
Scott: Wager $16,201 to cover Kat.
Kat: You're faced with a legitimate choice in strategy. You can either choose to cover Frank, hoping that you give the correct response and Scott doesn't, in which case you'll want to wager $6,001 to cover Frank's doubled score, but no more than $15,600 if you want to top Scott on a Triple Stumper; or bet up to $5,399 and win if both Scott and Frank miss Final.
Frank: If you think Kat is going to wager to cover you, try wagering less than $600 to beat Scott and Kat on the Triple Stumper; or, if you think Kat is going to wager small in hopes of a Triple Stumper, wager between $5,401 (venusian, to top a $0 wager by Kat) and $11,400 (martian, which may win in some cases but may also risk dropping you from second to third place if you get Final wrong).

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
The prologue of this tragedy is a sonnet whose rhymes include dignity & mutiny; scene & unclean; & life & strife

FINAL SCORES
Frank: $11,400 + $600 = $12,000 (What is Romeo and Juliet) (2nd place: $2,000)
Kat: $16,800 - $14,799 = $2,001 (What is Hamlet) (3rd place: $1,000)
Scott: $17,400 + $16,201 = $33,601 (What is Romeo + Juliet) (2-day champion: $59,602)
(Alex: "Two households, both alike in dignity".)

Total Potential Lach Trash: $7,000

GAME DYNAMICS

CORYAT SCORES
Kat: $15,800, 19 R (including 1 DD), 2 W
Scott: $15,800, 21 R (including 2 DDs), 2 W
Frank: $11,400, 14 R, 1 W
Combined Coryat: $43,000

BATTING AVERAGES
Scott: 22/60 = .367
Kat: 19/59 = .322
Frank: 15/58 = .259
Team: 56/63 = .889

MISCELLANEOUS INTERESTING CLUES
"F"IVE-LETTER WORDS $200: Often charging by the pounds, some laundries offer this & fold service
(Kat: What is wash and fold?)

"F"IVE-LETTER WORDS $600: One from a palm tree is seen here

"F"IVE-LETTER WORDS $1000: Heard here is a bit of Bach's "Toccata and" this "in D Minor"

HODGEPODGE $800: The Ministry of the Interior building in Havana bears a sculpture honoring this revolutionary

GEORGE GERSHWIN $1600: (Kelly presents the clue beside a reproducing piano.) Similar to a player piano, a reproducing piano uses a roll to recreate a performance by a human pianist, which is how we're able to hear & see how George Gershwin played this famous piece of his

NOWHERE LAND $400: The name of this desert city that can hit 130° is used to mean anywhere remote

1958 $400: He wasn't inducted into the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame, but into the Army

CORRECT RESPONSES
The Giving Tree
chile, or chili, powder
hypertension
Russia
Nelson Rockefeller
(William) Roth
Ghostbusters
Siberia
price
Romeo and Juliet
fluff
a frond
fugue
Che Guevara
Rhapsody in Blue
Timbuktu
Elvis Presley
Last edited by Archivists on Wed Jan 30, 2019 4:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by theFJguy »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
SHAKESPEARE

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
The prologue of this tragedy is a sonnet whose rhymes include dignity & mutiny; scene & unclean; & life & strife

Scott McFadden: 17400+16201=33601 (2x = $59,602)
Frank Young: 11400+600=12000
Kat Long: 16800-14799=2001

Correct response:
Spoiler
Romeo and Juliet (Kat – Hamlet)

Daily Doubles
Scott: 0+1000
Kat: 13000+3000
Scott: 12400+3000

Coryats
Scott: 15800
Frank: 11400
Kat: 15800

Combined: 43,000

Scores at the end of the Jeopardy! Round
Scott: 2800
Frank: 4600
Kat: 7000
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

My ears found this game very pleasant and those that like the orderly approach to clue selection will be happy as there was little category jumping. Other benefits of the game were all 61 clues, 3/3 on the DDs and a combined Coryat of 43,000.

Scott got applause for being correct on DD3 and then it was crickets after he completed the category run in the next box.

If SHAKESPEARE had shown up when I was on Alex would have seen a very visible negative expression from me. Here is how I played the clue:

Kind of a contrast in the words: R & J
Unclean: thinking Lady Macbeth’s spot
Dignity & Mutiny: King Lear going insane and plotting daughters
Hamlet just because J! loves it

I went KL to pick one of my choices. After time was up Alex said, “Two households” and before he added, “both alike” I knew two things. One I was wrong and two, what was the right play.

At least I was only on a 1R streak, so no long run snapped. Tomorrow will be the spot I found myself in too often looking at a 40% or 60% week.
Wpwells

Post by Wpwells »

Two households, both alike in dignity,
In fair Verona, where we lay our scene,
From ancient grudge break to new mutiny,
Where civil blood makes civil hands unclean

I've memorized at least that. 4/4 and 10 days in a row.
AFRET CMS
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by AFRET CMS »

Scott's an impressive player with almost $60K in two wins.

His first game, he wore a red shirt and won (as did I).
Second game, he wore a light blue shirt and won (as did I).

He seems like a possible for a good run. I'm really hoping he won't wear a dark blue shirt for tomorrow's game.
Last edited by AFRET CMS on Thu Jun 28, 2018 7:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.
I'm not the defending Jeopardy! champion. But I have played one on TV.
Saturnalia
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Saturnalia »

Woof. I wrote Macbeth fairly confidently, thinking of the witches' initial entrance. I, too, immediately knew I was wrong when Alex began speaking.

Oh well. Another decent Coryat today, even with a Daytime TV category in there; 37 R 1 W. I do need to commit Mackinac Bridge and that Boris Pasternak Pavlov to memory.
Ironhorse
Second Banana

Post by Ironhorse »

Saturnalia wrote: Thu Jun 28, 2018 3:44 pm Woof. I wrote Macbeth fairly confidently, thinking of the witches' initial entrance. I, too, immediately knew I was wrong when Alex began speaking.
Me too
boson
Trivial

Post by boson »

Othello. X
StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Post by StevenH »

Ironhorse wrote: Thu Jun 28, 2018 6:47 pm
Saturnalia wrote: Thu Jun 28, 2018 3:44 pm Woof. I wrote Macbeth fairly confidently, thinking of the witches' initial entrance. I, too, immediately knew I was wrong when Alex began speaking.
Me too
Me three
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

"Fluff and fold"? The hell is that?! Yet another case of $200 being my only miss.

WNEM somehow managed to cut to commercial after the interviews, which threw me momentarily. Flipped over to WBKB, and then when I flipped back to WNEM, they were about 10 clues into DJ! THEN they went back and aired the second half of the J! round at 7:20.

TIL Timbuktu is a real place. But is the same true of Bumf***, Egypt?

Not even a guess on FJ! The clue was a total mishmash that I couldn't even make heads or tails of.

Lach trash: chili/chile
brick

Post by brick »

Does anyone know what cartoon Frank Young works on?
Vowela

Post by Vowela »

Is pronouncing IRA like the name Ira and not letter-by-letter common? I was surprised when that turned out to be about Investment Retirement Accounts and not about people named Ira :lol:.

And while I'm here, another Macbeth guess.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

brick wrote: Thu Jun 28, 2018 7:29 pm Does anyone know what cartoon Frank Young works on?

I did a Google search of "frank young animation writer toronto" and got his LI page: https://ca.linkedin.com/in/franklin-young-3181b842
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

brick wrote: Thu Jun 28, 2018 7:29 pm Does anyone know what cartoon Frank Young works on?
The only Frank Young I'm finding on IMDb who's a cartoon writer is this one. He has several credits on episodes of Paw Patrol, so that's probably the one.
brick

Post by brick »

Thank you Mark and TPH.
brick

Post by brick »

Vowela wrote: Thu Jun 28, 2018 7:34 pm Is pronouncing IRA like the name Ira and not letter-by-letter common? I was surprised when that turned out to be about Investment Retirement Accounts and not about people named Ira :lol:.

And while I'm here, another Macbeth guess.

Yes. I’d say it runs about 50/50 in casual conversation.
hscer

Post by hscer »

Okay I am pretty sure that is the first time I've ever heard IRA pronounced as a word instead of the initials. It really started to get to me around the $1200 clue lol.

Mentioning the deaths caused by the "Great Leap Forward" makes up a bit for the nonchalant reference to Che as merely a "revolutionary."

As for final, another woof here. I ended on Macbeth after thinking it could be Julius Caesar or Antony and Cleopatra too. And had they not said it was a tragedy, I'd have considered The Tempest as well.

I guess Alex is a bit used to those unnecessarily big wagers from trailing players, as he mistakenly said Scott would have remained champion had he missed Final (and before Scott's wager was revealed to the audience). Although after looking, he'd actually have finished third with a miss.
Now Completed: TD 224 - Airplane!
Coming Eventually: hscer's 3rd TD

Twitter: http://twitter.com/hscer
Sporcle: http://www.sporcle.com/user/hscer
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

ugh, these were not my boards. 0fers in Kitchen Confusion and Movie/Stars. Saw unclean and strife in FJ and went to Macbeth.
Smiled at the Laura Ingalls Wilder clue in light of my current events post https://www.jboard.tv/viewtopic.php?f=1 ... 00#p284268
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I recall the play being introduced by the servants (or whatever they were) so this was a fairly quick solve.

I am glad the Jeopardy gods rewarded Frank with an extra $1,000 for his wager, even though Alex did not recognize it as being savvy.