TD387 - morbeedo's Revenge - Final Results

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, dhkendall, trainman, econgator

squarekara
LEGO my Ego
Posts: 533
Joined: Wed Feb 08, 2017 12:49 am
Location: Land o' Lincoln

Re: TD387 - morbeedo's Revenge - Q3 Results

Post by squarekara » Tue Jul 10, 2018 5:13 pm

With the dance craze reveal, this John Waters scene came to mind:
SpoilerShow

User avatar
xxaaaxx
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 1819
Joined: Fri Aug 05, 2011 9:29 pm
Location: Brooklyn, NY

Re: TD387 - morbeedo's Revenge - Q3 Results

Post by xxaaaxx » Tue Jul 10, 2018 5:15 pm

I haven't watched Psycho in nearly 30 years, so I wouldn't have recognized that still if you gave me a month.

User avatar
morbeedo
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool
Posts: 1369
Joined: Wed Jan 18, 2012 12:58 pm

Re: TD387 - morbeedo's Revenge - Q3 Results

Post by morbeedo » Tue Jul 10, 2018 5:51 pm

xxaaaxx wrote:
Tue Jul 10, 2018 5:15 pm
I haven't watched Psycho in nearly 30 years, so I wouldn't have recognized that still if you gave me a month.
WECIB?
coming at you like an ex-president

RJRouge
Contributor
Posts: 20
Joined: Mon Jun 25, 2018 4:39 pm

Re: TD387 - morbeedo's Revenge - Q3 Results

Post by RJRouge » Tue Jul 10, 2018 8:37 pm

Shucks on Q1. There were so many options. I should have known I wouldn't be the only player who likes the one with the silliest name.

User avatar
morbeedo
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool
Posts: 1369
Joined: Wed Jan 18, 2012 12:58 pm

Re: TD387 - morbeedo's Revenge - Q3 Results

Post by morbeedo » Tue Jul 10, 2018 10:57 pm

[delete]
Last edited by morbeedo on Wed Jul 11, 2018 7:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
morbeedo
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool
Posts: 1369
Joined: Wed Jan 18, 2012 12:58 pm

Re: TD387 - morbeedo's Revenge - Q3 Results

Post by morbeedo » Tue Jul 10, 2018 11:02 pm

RJRouge wrote:
Tue Jul 10, 2018 8:37 pm
Shucks on Q1. There were so many options. I should have known I wouldn't be the only player who likes the one with the silliest name.
I don’t even know what I would have submitted on that question. I guess the Pee-Wee Herman dance- Tequila!

coming at you like an ex-president

9021amyers
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 1311
Joined: Fri Apr 17, 2015 12:22 am
Location: Atlanta

Re: TD387 - morbeedo's Revenge - Q3 Results

Post by 9021amyers » Tue Jul 10, 2018 11:09 pm

morbeedo wrote:
Tue Jul 10, 2018 10:57 pm
RJRouge wrote:
Tue Jul 10, 2018 8:37 pm
Shucks on Q1. There were so many options. I should have known I wouldn't be the only player who likes the one with the silliest name.
I don’t even know what I would have submitted on that question. Haven’t even heard of most of them. Probably would’ve gone with the Pee-Wee Herman dance- tequila?
My thought was a fad or novelty dance has an accompanying song to go along with it. I thought about giving the Running Man as my answer, but there’s no Running Man song.

Some other fad dances I was surprised went unused:
the Tootsee Roll
Da Dip
the Stanky Leg
the Bartman
the Locomotion
the Twist
the Moonwalk
the YMCA

User avatar
dinghammer
No Relation
Posts: 1016
Joined: Mon Apr 20, 2015 6:10 pm

Re: TD387 - morbeedo's Revenge - Q3 Results

Post by dinghammer » Wed Jul 11, 2018 12:03 am

I ended up not entering because of the ridiculous number of answers I saw by happenstance in various outside sources, but I was considering Walking the Dinosaur and the Ed Grimley dance for Q1, though I don't know if anyone other than me did those with any regularity. But if voguing can be considered a novelty/fad dance instead of just a type of dancing, I'd have to assume those would count too.

And I knew Psycho, but I probably would have gone with something else because it seemed so obvious.

9021amyers
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 1311
Joined: Fri Apr 17, 2015 12:22 am
Location: Atlanta

Re: TD387 - morbeedo's Revenge - Q3 Results

Post by 9021amyers » Wed Jul 11, 2018 12:25 am

dinghammer wrote:
Wed Jul 11, 2018 12:03 am
I ended up not entering because of the ridiculous number of answers I saw by happenstance in various outside sources, but I was considering Walking the Dinosaur and the Ed Grimley dance for Q1, though I don't know if anyone other than me did those with any regularity. But if voguing can be considered a novelty/fad dance instead of just a type of dancing, I'd have to assume those would count too.
If the Carlton dance counts, I guess the Ed Grimley dance would have to as well.

User avatar
threearruda
Loyal Jeopardista
Posts: 177
Joined: Mon Sep 04, 2017 4:02 pm

Re: TD387 - morbeedo's Revenge - Q3 Results

Post by threearruda » Wed Jul 11, 2018 7:30 am

Ha... I didn't realize that some of the bonuses incurred penalties. :oops: That'll teach me! A forthcoming one point penalty for Q6 is certainly fair after the snide remark I made about the question anyhow.

User avatar
morbeedo
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool
Posts: 1369
Joined: Wed Jan 18, 2012 12:58 pm

Re: TD387 - morbeedo's Revenge - Q3 Results

Post by morbeedo » Wed Jul 11, 2018 7:57 am

dinghammer wrote:
Wed Jul 11, 2018 12:03 am
I ended up not entering because of the ridiculous number of answers I saw by happenstance in various outside sources, but I was considering Walking the Dinosaur and the Ed Grimley dance for Q1, though I don't know if anyone other than me did those with any regularity. But if voguing can be considered a novelty/fad dance instead of just a type of dancing, I'd have to assume those would count too.

And I knew Psycho, but I probably would have gone with something else because it seemed so obvious.
You should have entered! SCOTUS is all over the news with Kennedy's retirement, so you can't help reading about some of these landmark cases. Korematsu v. United States, e.g.
coming at you like an ex-president

9021amyers
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 1311
Joined: Fri Apr 17, 2015 12:22 am
Location: Atlanta

Re: TD387 - morbeedo's Revenge - Q3 Results

Post by 9021amyers » Wed Jul 11, 2018 9:00 am

threearruda wrote:
Wed Jul 11, 2018 7:30 am
Ha... I didn't realize that some of the bonuses incurred penalties. :oops: That'll teach me! A forthcoming one point penalty for Q6 is certainly fair after the snide remark I made about the question anyhow.
You can’t help it sometimes. (I did the same thing, natch.)

User avatar
SenseiCAY
Jeopardy Participant
Posts: 323
Joined: Mon Oct 30, 2017 3:56 pm
Location: Silver Spring, MD
Contact:

Re: TD387 - morbeedo's Revenge - Q3 Results

Post by SenseiCAY » Wed Jul 11, 2018 9:14 am

9021amyers wrote:
Tue Jul 10, 2018 11:09 pm
morbeedo wrote:
Tue Jul 10, 2018 10:57 pm
RJRouge wrote:
Tue Jul 10, 2018 8:37 pm
Shucks on Q1. There were so many options. I should have known I wouldn't be the only player who likes the one with the silliest name.
I don’t even know what I would have submitted on that question. Haven’t even heard of most of them. Probably would’ve gone with the Pee-Wee Herman dance- tequila?
My thought was a fad or novelty dance has an accompanying song to go along with it. I thought about giving the Running Man as my answer, but there’s no Running Man song.

Some other fad dances I was surprised went unused:
the Tootsee Roll
Da Dip
the Stanky Leg
the Bartman
the Locomotion
the Twist
the Moonwalk
the YMCA
I was considering the moonwalk, but I wasn't sure if that counted as a "fad dance," or just a particular dance move. That said, I'm glad Carlton got accepted.

User avatar
morbeedo
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool
Posts: 1369
Joined: Wed Jan 18, 2012 12:58 pm

Re: TD387 - morbeedo's Revenge - Q3 Results

Post by morbeedo » Wed Jul 11, 2018 10:18 am

I left the dance question wide open, except for specifying 1950s or later. We can debate whether some of the responses qualify as fads or novelty dances, like voguing, but I really have no basis for marking anyone wrong on this one.
coming at you like an ex-president

User avatar
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool
Posts: 3576
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 9:53 pm

Re: TD387 - morbeedo's Revenge - Q3 Results

Post by Woof » Wed Jul 11, 2018 10:27 am

morbeedo wrote:
Wed Jul 11, 2018 10:18 am
I left the dance question wide open, except for specifying 1950s or later. We can debate whether some of the responses qualify as fads or novelty dances, like voguing, but I really have no basis for marking anyone wrong on this one.
Oh, Voguing was indeed a thing, however brief. I was living on Manhattan when Madonna released her video and I recall friends — better connected than I — remarking that she was simply capitalizing on a trend that had been going on for a while in gay dance clubs in Manhattan.

User avatar
morbeedo
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool
Posts: 1369
Joined: Wed Jan 18, 2012 12:58 pm

Re: TD387 - morbeedo's Revenge - Q3 Results

Post by morbeedo » Wed Jul 11, 2018 10:51 am

Woof wrote:
Wed Jul 11, 2018 10:27 am
morbeedo wrote:
Wed Jul 11, 2018 10:18 am
I left the dance question wide open, except for specifying 1950s or later. We can debate whether some of the responses qualify as fads or novelty dances, like voguing, but I really have no basis for marking anyone wrong on this one.
Oh, Voguing was indeed a thing, however brief. I was living on Manhattan when Madonna released her video and I recall friends — better connected than I — remarking that she was simply capitalizing on a trend that had been going on for a while in gay dance clubs in Manhattan.
Haha exactly, and now Ryan Murphy's revisiting that whole scene with 'Pose' (which I haven't seen)
coming at you like an ex-president

9021amyers
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 1311
Joined: Fri Apr 17, 2015 12:22 am
Location: Atlanta

Re: TD387 - morbeedo's Revenge - Q3 Results

Post by 9021amyers » Wed Jul 11, 2018 11:03 am

Woof wrote:
Wed Jul 11, 2018 10:27 am
morbeedo wrote:
Wed Jul 11, 2018 10:18 am
I left the dance question wide open, except for specifying 1950s or later. We can debate whether some of the responses qualify as fads or novelty dances, like voguing, but I really have no basis for marking anyone wrong on this one.
Oh, Voguing was indeed a thing, however brief. I was living on Manhattan when Madonna released her video and I recall friends — better connected than I — remarking that she was simply capitalizing on a trend that had been going on for a while in gay dance clubs in Manhattan.
The “Martin Short plays a boy” joint, Clifford, was filmed in 1990, but didn’t come out in theaters until 1994 because the studio that produced it went bankrupt. There is a party scene in the film that has Clifford voguing, and even the eight-year-old me found the reference jarring and dated.

User avatar
morbeedo
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool
Posts: 1369
Joined: Wed Jan 18, 2012 12:58 pm

Re: TD387 - morbeedo's Revenge - Q4 & Bonus Results

Post by morbeedo » Wed Jul 11, 2018 11:28 am

4. TENNIS GREATS
Name any tennis player who has won a career Grand Slam (i.e., winning all four major tournaments at any point in their career)

Q4 ANSWERS
SpoilerShow
I didn't specify singles championships in the question, so Leander Paes and Todd Woodbridge count as correct answers

Wrong answers – 10 points
Bjorn Borg
classicroadster
heppm01

Lindsey Davenport
Tybalteon

Pete Sampras
spell4yr

*********************************************************
Margaret Court — 5 responses
clt013
econgator
threearruda
Woof
xxaaaxx

SHEEP
badgerfellow

Steffi Graf — 4 responses
1stlvlthinker
SenseiCAY
squarekara
Vintsanity

Andre Agassi — 3 responses
9021amyers
bev nar
psgola

Martina Navratilova — 3 responses
Magna
MattKnowles
Quantum

Rod Laver — 3 responses
Peachbox
RJRouge
twelvefootboy

Chris Evert — 2 responses
AFRET CMS
ElendilPickle

Serena Williams — 2 responses
MarkBarrett
Saturnalia

Billie Jean King — Singleton!
Gamawire

Don Budge — Singleton!
floridagator

Leander Paes (doubles) — Singleton!
casketromance

Maria Sharapova — Singleton!
sillymoose

Rafael Nadal — Singleton!
guessonguessonguess

Roger Federer — Singleton!
Troydozzy

Todd Woodbridge (doubles)
Mastercone

Venus Williams (doubles) — Singleton!
Enormous Jeans

DROP
Sims

NOT USED
Doris Hart
Fred Perry
Maureen Connolly
Novak Djokovic
Roy Emerson
Shirley Fry Irvin
BONUS (-1)
Name the only athlete who has achieved the Golden Slam - winning all four Grand Slam events and Olympic gold in the same calendar year NO PENALTY
SpoilerShow
Steffi Graf

Bonus (-1): 1stlvlthinker, 9021amyers, AFRET CMS, bev nar, casketromance, clt013, econgator, Magna, MarkBarrett, Mastercone, Peachbox, psgola, Quantum, twelvefootboy, Vintsanity

Q4 RESULTS
SpoilerShow
1. Mastercone — 3 + 1 → 3 pts (bonus: -1) [unch]
2. casketromance — 5 + 1 → 5 pts (bonus: -1) [↑1]
3. SenseiCAY — 3 + 4 → 7 pts [↓2]
4. 9021amyers — 6 + 3 → 8 pts (bonus: -1) [unch]
4. MarkBarrett — 7 + 2 → 8 pts (bonus: -1) [↑1]

6. bev nar — 7 + 3 → 9 pts (bonus: -1) [↓1]
7. floridagator — 9 + 1 → 10 pts [↑4]
7. Sims — 10 + 0 → 10 pts [↑6]
9. clt013 — 7 + 5 → 11 pts (bonus: -1) [↓4]
9. squarekara — 7 + 4 → 11 pts [↓4]

11. AFRET CMS — 11 + 2 → 12 pts (bonus: -1) [↑6]
11. RJRouge — 9 + 3 → 12 pts [unch]
13. badgerfellow — 8 + 5 → 13 pts [↓4]
13. ElendilPickle — 11 + 2 → 13 pts [↑4]
13. MattKnowles — 10 + 3 → 13 pts [unch]

13. psgola — 11 + 3 → 13 pts (bonus: -1) [↑4]
13. Saturnalia — 11 + 2 → 13 pts [↑4]
13. sillymoose — 12 + 1 → 13 pts [↑9]
13. Troydozzy — 12 + 1 → 13 pts [↑9]
13. Woof — 8 + 5 → 13 pts [↓4]

21. Peachbox — 12 + 3 → 14 pts (bonus: -1) [↑1]
21. Quantum — 12 + 3 → 14 pts (bonus: -1) [↑1]
23. 1stlvlthinker — 13 + 4 → 16 pts (bonus: -1) [↑3]
23. Gamawire — 15 + 1 → 16 pts [↑6]
23. Magna — 14 + 3 → 16 pts (bonus: -1) [↑5]

23. xxaaaxx — 11 + 5 → 16 pts [↓6]
27. Enormous Jeans — 17 + 1 → 18 pts [↑6]
27. guessonguessonguess — 17 + 1 → 18 pts [↑6]
27. threearruda — 13 + 5 → 18 pts [↓1]
27. Vintsanity — 15 + 4 → 18 pts (bonus: -1) [↑2]

31. econgator — 15 + 5 → 19 pts (bonus: -1) [↓2]
32. heppm01 — 10 + 10 → 20 pts [↓19]
32. Tybalteon — 10 + 10 → 20 pts [↓19]
34. twelvefootboy — 22 + 3 → 24 pts (bonus: -1) [↑2]
35. classicroadster — 15 + 10 → 25 pts [↓6]

36. spell4yr — 19 + 10 → 29 pts [↓1]
Last edited by morbeedo on Thu Jul 12, 2018 3:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.
coming at you like an ex-president

User avatar
SenseiCAY
Jeopardy Participant
Posts: 323
Joined: Mon Oct 30, 2017 3:56 pm
Location: Silver Spring, MD
Contact:

Re: TD387 - morbeedo's Revenge - Q4 Results

Post by SenseiCAY » Wed Jul 11, 2018 11:30 am

DAWWWWWW I had Steffi for the Golden Slam and then changed it!!

User avatar
morbeedo
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool
Posts: 1369
Joined: Wed Jan 18, 2012 12:58 pm

Re: TD387 - morbeedo's Revenge - Q4 Results

Post by morbeedo » Wed Jul 11, 2018 11:34 am

SenseiCAY wrote:
Wed Jul 11, 2018 11:30 am
DAWWWWWW I had Steffi for the Golden Slam and then changed it!!
And so begins your downward spiral :twisted:
coming at you like an ex-president

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: AFRET CMS and 36 guests