Monday, July 2, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Monday, July 2, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

Game Recap for Show #7796, 2018-07-02

CONTESTANTS
Suzanne Koppelman, a museum education manager from New York, New York
Adam Scholze, a tutor from Pasadena, California
Scott McFadden, a librarian from Muncie, Indiana (whose 3-day cash winnings total $78,401)

OPENING REMARKS
Alex: Thank you, Johnny. Thank you, ladies and gentlemen, and welcome to our show. Happy to be with you for this half-hour, because I really enjoy spending time with bright people, and we have three very bright ones as our contestants today. So let's put them to the test. Here we go. Now a look at the categories, starting off with...

JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
DANISH FOOD & DRINK (3/5)
GOVERNMENT ABCs (5/5)
SMALL-SCREEN CRIME FIGHTERS (2/5)
BORN & DIED (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
BOOK OF THE MONTH (2/5)
ANAGRAM PAIRS (3/3)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Scott: 9 R, 3 W
Suzanne: 7 R (including 1 DD), 2 W
Adam: 4 R, 1 W

Clues revealed: 28
Triple Stumpers: 8
Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $5,200

SCORES AT THE FIRST BREAK
Suzanne: $600
Adam: -$200
Scott: -$400

CONTESTANT INTERVIEWS

Alex: Suzanne Koppelman is from New York. She is a museum education manager who teaches students about archaeology and does it in an interesting way. Tell us.

Suzanne: Yes, we have a simulated archaeological dig at the museum. And last year I took my children to Israel, and we went on a real archaeological dig. And they actually dug up oil lamps that are exactly like the lamps we have in our simulated dig at the museum.

Alex: Terrific. Great.

Alex: Adam Scholze from Pasadena, California. Football player.

Adam: That's right.

Alex: Played in the Rose Bowl.

Adam: I did, for Stanford.

Alex: Wait, for Stanford.

Adam: For Stanford.

Alex: Way back when.

Adam: That's right. Back in the year 2000.

Alex: And who was your opponent?

Adam: We played Wisconsin.

Alex: And who won?

Adam: We lost, unfortunately. But we were winning at the half. We were winning 9-3 at the half. They had a Heisman Trophy winner, Ron Dayne, on the team.

Alex: Yeah, and at the very beginning of the game, you were tied.

Adam: That's right.

Alex: Scott McFadden is a librarian from Muncie, Indiana. You and your wife are planning an interesting trip.

Scott: Well, we hope so. We'd like to drive old Route 66. It may not happen 'til we're retired, but we definitely want to do it. We've seen portions of it when we've been in St. Louis and Albuquerque, but we'd really love to drive the whole thing.

Alex: Any part of it that is of special interest to you?

Scott: Well, if it's still there, there's that old hotel that has the teepees and you can stay in--so, sort of kitschy old things.

Alex: That's all right. Something to look forward to.

Scott: Yeah.

JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Suzanne found the Daily Double on the 17th clue. Scott was in the hole with -$400, Adam was in the red with -$200, and Suzanne was at $1,000. Suzanne made it a True Daily Double, wagering $1,000.

BORN & DIED $600: Born in Spain in 1881, he "drew" his last breath near Cannes April 8, 1973

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
SMALL-SCREEN CRIME FIGHTERS $200: A crack team of profilers led by special agent David Rossi (Joe Mantegna) tackles the toughest cases on this show

SMALL-SCREEN CRIME FIGHTERS $600: Set in Washington D.C., "NCIS" spun off versions that take place in these other 2 cities
(Suzanne: What is New Orleans and Miami?)

SMALL-SCREEN CRIME FIGHTERS $1000: This British show starred Helen Mirren as Detective Jane Tennison; NBC aired a version with Maria Bello

DANISH FOOD & DRINK $200: (Sarah of the Clue Crew presents from Torvehallerne Market in Copenhagen, Denmark.) A Danish culinary staple, smørrebrød means these two simple foods, but the open-faced sandwiches of that name get a lot fancier
(Suzanne: What is bread and fish?)

BOOK OF THE MONTH $600: "All My ____s: My Memories of 12 World Series When the Yankees Ruled Baseball" by Mickey Mantle
(Adam: What is rings?)
(Scott: What is innings?)

BOOK OF THE MONTH $800: "Henry and ____" by Anais Nin

BOOK OF THE MONTH $1000: "The Two Faces of ____" by Patricia Highsmith
(Scott: What is Eve?)

DANISH FOOD & DRINK $800: (Sarah of the Clue Crew presents from Bornholm Island, Denmark.) We've "stalk"ed this plant to Denmark, where it's called rabarber; it makes famous Danish dessert porridge, & here on Bornholm Island, a refreshing juice
(Scott: What is celery?)

SCORES AT THE END OF THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
Suzanne: $3,200
Scott: $2,800
Adam: $1,600
Last edited by Archivists on Wed Jan 30, 2019 4:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Monday, July 2, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
SHAKESPEAREAN MENAGERIE (3/5)
MALE & FEMALE WORDS (3/5)
ON THE ISLAND (5/5)
AMERICAN HISTORY (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
COMMUNICATION (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
MUSICAL "P"ERFORMERS (4/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Suzanne: 11 R (including 3 rebounds and 1 DD), 1 W
Scott: 7 R (including 1 rebound and 1 DD), 2 W
Adam: 7 R (including 1 rebound), 2 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 5
Double Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $7,600

FIRST DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Suzanne snagged the next Daily Double on the 21st clue. Scott had $3,600, Adam had $4,000, and Suzanne was at $14,400. Suzanne wagered $3,000.

COMMUNICATION $2000: There's no such thing as a native speaker of this, a word found before "English" for a mix of a colonizing & a local language

SECOND DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
It was Scott who snatched up the last Daily Double of the game on the 26th clue. Scott had $5,200, Adam had $4,000, and Suzanne was at $18,200. Scott wagered $5,000.

AMERICAN HISTORY $1600: The photo from a 1967 march on the Pentagon demonstrates this rhyming slogan of the time

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND
MALE & FEMALE WORDS $800: This "boy" was a WWII pilot; this "girl" was a dancer on "In Living Color"

MUSICAL "P"ERFORMERS $1600: Here's Keely Smith with this man, her one-time partner in music & life

MALE & FEMALE WORDS $1600: Male & female words that precede "headed" to describe a stubborn person & the Egyptian goddess Hathor

SHAKESPEAREAN MENAGERIE $2000: In a Shakespeare poem, this bird of fable is paired with a turtle(dove)

SHAKESPEAREAN MENAGERIE $1600: Ariel sings to Prospero, "where" this insect "sucks, there suck I; in a cowslip's bell I lie"

SCORES ENTERING FINAL JEOPARDY!
Suzanne: $16,200
Scott: $12,200
Adam: $6,000

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
20th CENTURY NOVELS

VENUSIAN MONOLOGUES/MARTIAN CHRONICLES
Three-quarters for first place.
Suzanne: Wager $8,201 to cover Scott.
Scott: You'll want to wager $4,001, and you'll win the game if Suzanne wagers enough and gets it wrong.
Adam: You can't really win on a Triple Stumper, so your best hope is if you're the only one to get Final right. Wager everything but a few dollars.

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
In a 1989 novel, Jing-Mei Woo says, "My father has asked me to be the fourth corner" in this title group

FINAL SCORES
Adam: $6,000 + $5,995 = $11,995 (What is the Joy Luck Club?) (3rd place: $1,000)
Scott: $12,200 + $4,001 = $16,201 (What is The Joy Luck Club?) (2nd place: $2,000)
Suzanne: $16,200 + $8,201 = $24,401 (What is The Joy Luck Club?) (New champion: $24,401)

Total Potential Lach Trash: $12,800

GAME DYNAMICS

CORYAT SCORES
Suzanne: $14,800, 18 R (including 2 DDs), 3 W
Scott: $8,800, 16 R (including 1 DD), 5 W
Adam: $6,000, 11 R, 3 W
Combined Coryat: $29,600

BATTING AVERAGES
Suzanne: 19/60 = .317
Scott: 17/59 = .288
Adam: 12/58 = .207
Team: 48/63 = .762

MISCELLANEOUS INTERESTING CLUES
DANISH FOOD & DRINK $400: (Jimmy of the Clue Crew presents from Torvehallerne Market in Copenhagen, Denmark.) In Denmark, a danish isn't a danish, but a wienerbrød, introduced by bakers who came to Copenhagen in the 19th century from this European city

DANISH FOOD & DRINK $600: (Sarah of the Clue Crew presents from Torvehallerne Market in Copenhagen, Denmark.) Mayonnaise & mustard seed are among the marinades used when Danes are ready for this pickled fish, the silver of the sea

DANISH FOOD & DRINK $1000: (Jimmy of the Clue Crew presents from Torvehallerne Market in Copenhagen, Denmark.) Aquavit for everyone, but first, let's toast to health & friendship, using this Scandinavian equivalent of "cheers"

GOVERNMENT ABCs $1000: Industrial hazards in the workplace are among this administration's concerns:
OSHA
(Alex: Less than a minute now.)

ANAGRAM PAIRS $600: A female relative & a sushi staple
[The end-of-round signal sounds.]

MUSICAL "P"ERFORMERS $800: Let's talk about this spicy rapper, part of the trio behind "Shoop" & "Push It"

SHAKESPEAREAN MENAGERIE $1200: In some editions of "King John" the son of the king of France is called this, also the name of a large aquatic animal
(Alex: The French for "dolphin".)

ON THE ISLAND $400: Tokyo
(Scott: What is Japan?)

ON THE ISLAND $1200: The Mulini Villa, once home to Napoleon
(Adam: What is Corsica?)

ON THE ISLAND $2000: Quezon City
(Adam: What is the Philippines?)

COMMUNICATION $400: America's first multi-page one (well, 4 pages) was called "Publick Occurrences Both Forreign and Domestick"
(Scott: What's a book?)

AMERICAN HISTORY $2000: In 1797 most of Congress counted themselves part of this party, but by 1827 it was dead
(Suzanne: What is the Whig Party?)

MALE & FEMALE WORDS $2000: A college in London with alumni like John Keats, & a college in NYC with alumni like Jerry Seinfeld
(Adam: What is Queens College?)
(Alex: We need both.)
(Adam: What is [*]?)

CORRECT RESPONSES
Picasso
Criminal Minds
New Orleans and Los Angeles
Prime Suspect
bread and butter
Octobers
Henry and June
January
rhubarb
pidgin
flower power
flyboy and flygirl
Louis Prima
bull and cow
the phoenix
the bee
the Joy Luck Club
Vienna
herring
skål
the Occupational Safety and Health Administration
aunt and tuna
Pepa
the Dauphin
Honshu
Elba
Luzon
a newspaper
the Federalist Party
Queens College and Kings College
Last edited by Archivists on Wed Jan 30, 2019 4:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by theFJguy »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
20th CENTURY NOVELS

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
In a 1989 novel, Jing-mei Woo says, “My father has asked me to be the fourth corner” in this title group

Scott McFadden: 12200+4001=16201
Adam Scholze: 6000+5995
Suzanne Koppelman: 16200+8201=24401 (New Champ)

Correct response:
Spoiler
The Joy Luck Club

Daily Doubles
Suzanne: 1000+1000
Suzanne: 14400+3000
Scott: 5200+5000

Coryats
Scott: 8800
Adam: 6000
Suzanne: 14800

Combined: 29,600

Scores at the end of the Jeopardy! Round
Scott: 2800
Adam: 1600
Suzanne: 3200
Last edited by theFJguy on Mon Jul 02, 2018 12:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

That was a rough start to the game with two players still in the red at DD1. BOOK OF THE MONTH wanted a response with a month of the year. One of the 12. Seems simple enough, yet grasping that categorical hint seemed to fly over the heads of the players.

SMALL-SCREEN CRIME FIGHTERS was heavy on CBS shows with all from that network other than one from PBS/NBC. The players only earned $600 of the available $3000 that went on my scoresheet.

DANISH FOOD & DRINK had a variety of items. Do any of them help with PKs? Zing!

Cool to learn that Adam Scholze played in the 2000 Rose Bowl for Stanford.

The FJ! clue was revealed and the game was over with next to no doubt about the outcome. I say take out 1989 and at least leave the slim possibility that a player goes astray. Thanks to Suzanne betting 3000 on DD2 (above the typical 2000) I was certain there would be no monkey business with her FJ! wager. It seemed quite obvious the players were on the clue instantly.

Nice comeback attempt by Scott while the earlier errors kept him from making DD3 pay off even more.

Tomorrow is sibling day with the brother of an April (27th) contestant playing.
Elijah Baley

Post by Elijah Baley »

MarkBarrett wrote: Mon Jul 02, 2018 12:30 pm That was a rough start to the game with two players still in the red at DD1. BOOK OF THE MONTH wanted a response with a month of the year. One of the 12. Seems simple enough, yet grasping that categorical hint seemed to fly over the heads of the players.
That was pretty odd, particularly since they got the first two. That was $2400 easy money left on the table.

And yes, leave out the year on the FJ and it's a lot tougher. Still, a little surprised that it was a triple get.
Wpwells

Post by Wpwells »

Asian book from 1989 = Joy Luck Club. 1/1 and 12 in a row
Last edited by Wpwells on Mon Jul 02, 2018 10:32 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Taking out the year wouldn't have hurt me at all as I had no idea when it was written. But the rest of the wording had me done before the music started.

Alex could have reminded players of the category to eliminate some of the errors.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

My mom is a huge fan of crime shows on TV. I know she dislikes Criminal Minds, so I wonder if she'd have gotten that clue? I doubt she'd have gotten the last one either.

Any reason I was supposed to know those two Danish words meant bread and butter? I didn't see any butter there.

"Blah blah Seattle band" = Nirvana right? Whoops, "p"ay attention to the category. Ended up getting only Robert Palmer.

Keely Smith/Louis Prima seems like a very obscure pairing unless you're over 70 years old. Curious if anyone here got this right.

I don't think of a newspaper as "communication".

No guess on FJ! Can't say that I recognize the correct response, so the triple-get is a surprise.
Ironhorse
Second Banana

Post by Ironhorse »

I came up with the correct answer on FJ but wasn't 100% sure as I was trying to think of something referencing a square.
hscer

Post by hscer »

MarkBarrett wrote: Mon Jul 02, 2018 12:30 pm That was a rough start to the game with two players still in the red at DD1. BOOK OF THE MONTH wanted a response with a month of the year. One of the 12. Seems simple enough, yet grasping that categorical hint seemed to fly over the heads of the players.
We also had two guesses of countries in the Islands category in DJ.
Now Completed: TD 224 - Airplane!
Coming Eventually: hscer's 3rd TD

Twitter: http://twitter.com/hscer
Sporcle: http://www.sporcle.com/user/hscer
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

Writers, please stop trying to get cute with the categories. This is why you have disjointed games like this.
FJ--guessed "The Pillars of the Earth". Four corners, right? 1989, right?
sarisson

Post by sarisson »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Mon Jul 02, 2018 7:28 pm Keely Smith/Louis Prima seems like a very obscure pairing unless you're over 70 years old. Curious if anyone here got this right.
(raises hand) He's a big deal where I'm from, because we have a large Italian-American population and one of his ex-wives used to live in the county until her death.
Our middle challenger has no entry on sports-reference, so he must not have been a quarterback, running back, wide receiver, kicker, punter, kick/punt returner, cornerback, safety, or anyone who ever touched the ball. I did find his Stanford athletic profile though:
https://gostanford.com/sports/2013/4/17/208440270.aspx
Knew FJ would be a triple get, since it spotted you a Chinese name and a "title group."
Hoping for a third lap
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

hscer wrote: Mon Jul 02, 2018 8:07 pm
We also had two guesses of countries in the Islands category in DJ.
I can excuse the player who said Japan, but the player who said The Philippines was just asking for it.
davey

Post by davey »

Elijah Baley wrote: Mon Jul 02, 2018 1:13 pm
That was pretty odd, particularly since they got the first two. That was $2400 easy money left on the table.

And yes, leave out the year on the FJ and it's a lot tougher. Still, a little surprised that it was a triple get.
Take out the year and still what other guess is there? Please don't say The Good Earth. Has J! ever asked about any other Chinese-American novelist? Maybe someday they'll expand to Gish Jen or Ha Jin, but not today, alas...
floridagator

Post by floridagator »

I am nonplussed that none of the contestants figured out the theme of book of the Month Club.
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.
davey

Post by davey »

Here's a Chinese- (well, Singaporean-) American noveiist who might be on J! in the future, because there's a movie coming out...
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crazy_Rich_Asians
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

I never track such things (including today) but I’m positive I’d’ve won today on Lach Trash alone.
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Mon Jul 02, 2018 7:28 pm Keely Smith/Louis Prima seems like a very obscure pairing unless you're over 70 years old. Curious if anyone here got this right.
Can't say I've heard of either of these people.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

econgator wrote: Mon Jul 02, 2018 9:55 pm
Can't say I've heard of either of these people.
The clue earlier this season with Louis Prima:
#7622, aired 2017-10-31 FILMS OF THE 1960s $1200: Voice actors of this Disney film included Phil Harris as Baloo & Louis Prima as King Louie of the apes

Keely Smith has also been in previous clues with "That Old Black Magic" often the common hint.
Ironhorse
Second Banana

Post by Ironhorse »

Random fact: Louis Armstrong was the original choice for King of the Apes in Jungle Book, but was rejected for reasons you can probably guess.