Wednesday, July 4, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

CasketRomance
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Wednesday, July 4, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by CasketRomance »

alietr wrote: Wed Jul 04, 2018 9:48 pm
Wpwells wrote: Wed Jul 04, 2018 5:44 pm Mind immediately went to Crosby, Stills, and Nash as a trio that played Woodstock (and I was pretty sure they had a song called Woodstock, though not positive). 3/3 and 14 in a row
Actually, it's Joni Mitchell's song.
CasketRomance wrote: Wed Jul 04, 2018 8:55 pm pretty easy final and i am not even into geezer music
You're just incessantly negative, aren't you?
indeed...my online poker name for the last 12 years has been "rotwithme"
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

That brand category was AWESOME! Only 4/5, though, and I've even bought and used both Purex and Tide.

Meanwhile, I played that FJ like Gonzo plays the trumpet. Three men...odd pinning...band? No, probably names. Emerson, Lake, Palmer? Huh...Peter, Paul, Mary? No no, men. Crosby, Stills, Nash? This feels like it should be obvious enough that even I could get it...what should I put down? What the heck was the event even? TV: *bum bum* ...Nuts.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

Wow, those three broads put on a good show! Oh- we aren't being misogynistic here? I've lost track lately ;) . I meant to say those articulate, knowledgeable contestants!

The DD distribution was cruel, giving Bertrand Russell and insulin to the luck of the draw. I'm glad the wagers were not crushing in this case.

On FJ, I'll have to declare brain lock - I immediately knew the song opening - "By the time we got to Woodstock....", and the sound of the wussy vocals but have never been a music or band junkie. I'll side with CasketRomance in a disdain for geezer music - mostly because it JUST WON'T GO AWAY! I can claim self-deprecation as the motive, my peers play it in their cars and even ON THE FREAKING GOLF COURSE. Ugh. :roll:

I pulled Young as part of the group name, and knew that when I thought of the whole group I'd need to throw one out. Twelvefootgirl got Crosby, and then it was easy, but way past time.

I want to give a shout out to the mods for trying to sustain civility here. Why does anyone need to make ad hominem attacks on contestants or even other posters? How does harsh criticism of a stranger who made a decision months ago make anybody smarter or better? It's pretty simple - negative comments say more about the author than they do the subject :P . Or, another cliche - diminishing others does not elevate you. Serenity now!
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
Category 13
Wagering Viking

Post by Category 13 »

StevenH wrote: I wouldn't have guessed that the clue would play this easy. Granted, I did take "these three men" to refer possibly to any band that has exactly 3 male members, not just ones that are named for its 3 male members. I also didn't think that the song "Woodstock" was really that famous. And classic rock is kind of an esoteric category to begin with.
Focusing on "these 3 men", I momentarily defaulted to Baker, Bruce and Clapton, having spent many hours watching Cream's 2005 Royal Albert Hall performance. But the song about the event TOM quickly steered me to the correct answer.
Plactus wrote: Based on the category, I would have bet $0 in a second-place tie here and been right to do so because I had not a clue. I knew the huge festival was Woodstock, but that got me nothing and so I went with the first name that came to mind, The Who (minus Keith Moon), which looking at Wikipedia seems to be not as bad a guess as I was afraid it was.
By the same circumstance, Fogerty, Cook and Clifford would be a plausible guess. But no way would J! ask to name the band members of Creedence Clearwater Revival.
MattKnowles
selwonKttaM

Post by MattKnowles »

The original Woodstock had Crosby, Stills, Nash, & Young. The cover of Joni Mitchell's "Woodstock" was released by all 4. The 25 year anniversary concert only featured Crosby, Stills, and Nash so the clue was pinned correctly.

I missed with Emerson, Lake, and Palmer. I'm not familiar with the song "Woodstock."
I had a dream that I was asleep and then I woke up and Jeopardy! was on.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Johnny's intro sounded very weird today. Lots of unusual emphasis. Some of it sounded like the slightly softer style he used in the 80s.

Strangely, I got all but the top box in 5 5. I couldn't process the "water wings" in time.

I liked the Competing Brands category.

Didn't recognize anything in the Movies category. If I've heard of Forest Whittaker, then the name didn't stick, and I wouldn't think them to be alphabetically last of anything.

Surprisingly, I ran the fireworks category.

Three men + classic rock. Let's see, the 25 years suggests Woodstock and Woodstock '94... uhh... That doesn't seem like something ZZ Top would do, and I'm pretty sure CSN(Y) did a song about Woodstock at some point, so CSN it is.

Lach Trash: tide, boomer
BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

Coryat: 36,000
45 R/3 W
DD: 2/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: James Monroe, Calvin Coolidge, Tide, boomer, North Korea

I'm surprised no one's posted it yet:

Bertrand Russell seemed like a TOC-level DD, while pancreas was...significantly easier.

Israel was a very impressive get.

Holding back money when one is in a second-place tie is a really bad idea. There was zero chance she was going to win with $50.
Sprinkles are for winners.
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

Interesting to hear the views on the Bertrand Russell DD: British philosopher mathetician logic pinned it immediately for me. Asking for his coauthor Alfred North Whitehead would be TOC material to me. FJ was an instaget: trio, reunion, festival, song. Yup, got it. This was a well-played game by all three. Quite the outxhange! :twisted:
merica
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by merica »

Ironhorse wrote: Wed Jul 04, 2018 10:12 pm
Bamaman wrote: Wed Jul 04, 2018 7:54 pm I will be the idiot who said Harrison, McCartney and Starr.
That's not a terrible guess. It makes sense of the phrasing of asking for three specific people.
I, too, could only come up with these three as a WAG.
AFRET CMS
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by AFRET CMS »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Thu Jul 05, 2018 3:03 am Strangely, I got all but the top box in 5 5. I couldn't process the "water wings" in time.
That one was top-box miss for me, too. "Water wings?" Never heard of the term. I've only seen or heard them referred to as "floaties." Maybe it's a brand name. Or a localism. But woudn't have come up with water wings if they'd given me an extra five minutes.
I'm not the defending Jeopardy! champion. But I have played one on TV.
Cat Hammarskjold
Feline Secretary-General

Post by Cat Hammarskjold »

I had no idea on FJ. I don't follow music festivals, so I didn't even know there was a second Woodstock. I'm not even sure which three people I would randomly guess.
OrangeSAM
(Unranked)

Post by OrangeSAM »

My addendum to Suzanne's response to Alex's early season rafting comment in the interview:

Kudos to Suzanne for not correcting Alex.

I rafted Grand Canyon 4 times. At the start of the second one, I got married.

It doesn't matter when you raft, the water will be cold because it comes from the bottom of Lake Powell thru a dam. It may warm up a little from input from the Little Colorado. The one time I remember voluntarily jumping in was at a lunch stop at a semi-secluded cove shelteted from the current warmed by the sun on a 90 degree plus day. Several of us peeled off our rain suits and took turns jumping off the raft.
OCSam
Saturnalia
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Saturnalia »

NHO Water Wings either. Huh.

And I was reading Woof's comment above at the exact moment the lecture I was listening to uttered the name "Albert North Whitehead." :shock:
Newhausen
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Newhausen »

MarkBarrett wrote: Wed Jul 04, 2018 5:30 pm 3 men takes care of anyone trying Peter, Paul & Mary. Will someone miss with Emerson, Lake & Palmer? Putting Young in the mix and leaving out one of the other guys?
I'll confess to being the idiot who wrote down "Crosby, Stills, and Young" on my paper.

In my defense, I couldn't possibly name a single song they've ever done until reading the rest of this thread.
davey

Post by davey »

Saturnalia wrote: Fri Jul 06, 2018 9:58 am NHO Water Wings either. Huh.

And I was reading Woof's comment above at the exact moment the lecture I was listening to uttered the name "Albert North Whitehead." :shock:
Even weirder: His name was Alfred!... ;)
heppm01

Post by heppm01 »

For me, a three man group with a long career is pavlov for Rush. I didn't bother to backtrack to a possible original festival or 25th anniversary followup, but if I did I think I would have ended up on Woodstock. Once there I certainly would have considered if the inclusion of Young in the original performance invalidated the obvious response. A little less shooting from the hip would serve me well.
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

I recall them always being called floaties when I was a kid (in the 80s), water wings became more common in the 90s, to the best of my recollection. Not sure if it was a brand name that became more widespread like Kleenex or if it's just another term for the same thing, but I believe it is probably the most common term for them today.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

jeff6286 wrote: Fri Jul 06, 2018 2:24 pm I recall them always being called floaties when I was a kid (in the 80s), water wings became more common in the 90s, to the best of my recollection. Not sure if it was a brand name that became more widespread like Kleenex or if it's just another term for the same thing, but I believe it is probably the most common term for them today.
I learned the term when it was used in a book written in 1970. I encountered it again in the 1982 Peter Gabriel song "San Jacinto." I can't say I've ever heard anyone use it in casual conversation.
Elijah Baley

Post by Elijah Baley »

jeff6286 wrote: Fri Jul 06, 2018 2:24 pm I recall them always being called floaties when I was a kid (in the 80s), water wings became more common in the 90s, to the best of my recollection. Not sure if it was a brand name that became more widespread like Kleenex or if it's just another term for the same thing, but I believe it is probably the most common term for them today.
For whatever it's worth, I'm older than you and always heard of them as water wings; can't say that I've ever heard them called floaties, but this could be a regional thing as googling them comes up with both names (among others).
mxc_takeshi

Post by mxc_takeshi »

35 right.

Competing Brand (2), On TV (2), Agriculture (3), 5,5 (3), "Fire"works (3), On the Fourth of July (5)
Pub Med (2), "OO"dles of Words (3), Great Brits (4), Law of the Land (3), At the Movies (3), Fireworks on the Fourth of July (2)

Lach Trash: James Monroe, Calvin Coolidge, Lafayette, North Korea

It took me several seconds to gather that the 3 were probably a band, then I remembered the Woodstock festival 25 years later as well as Crosby, Stills, and Nash's song about it.