Thursday, July 5, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

CasketRomance
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Thursday, July 5, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by CasketRomance »

9021amyers wrote: Thu Jul 05, 2018 8:57 pm
CasketRomance wrote: Thu Jul 05, 2018 8:42 pm i am not very versed in american women authors...i went with dickinson...at least she died around that time instead of agatha christie, who not only was born just 6 years prior to 1896, she was also fricking british
Dickinson wrote poetry, and her work was published posthumously. Given the clue, it’s not much better as a guess.
as i mentioned i am not versed in american women authors...knew she was an american, knew she was a writer and knew she died in the late 1800s....how is that on the same level as saying agatha christie? seeing i knew that christie wrote books in the 1930s and the best selling detective novel of all time was published in the late 1930s and originally entitled "ten little n******" before being changed when it was released in usa
"
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

how that suzanne woman missed dostoevsky is beyond me...crime and punishment were in the clue
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

CasketRomance wrote: Thu Jul 05, 2018 9:13 pm how that suzanne woman missed dostoevsky is beyond me...crime and punishment were in the clue
Comments like this work better if you just yell them at your TV. That way no one has to develop strong opinions about you. Except your cat. But let's face it. You blew your chance to make a good impression on that front years ago.

I was confused by the Dostoevsky clue as well. Not sure why.
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

opusthepenguin wrote: Thu Jul 05, 2018 9:19 pm
CasketRomance wrote: Thu Jul 05, 2018 9:13 pm how that suzanne woman missed dostoevsky is beyond me...crime and punishment were in the clue
Comments like this work better if you just yell them at your TV. That way no one has to develop strong opinions about you. Except your cat. But let's face it. You blew your chance to make a good impression on that front years ago.

I was confused by the Dostoevsky clue as well. Not sure why.
no cat for me...do have a dog though

but i only became active last year...signed up in 2015, but didn't post regularly until last year
9021amyers

Post by 9021amyers »

CasketRomance wrote: Thu Jul 05, 2018 9:08 pm
9021amyers wrote: Thu Jul 05, 2018 8:57 pm
CasketRomance wrote: Thu Jul 05, 2018 8:42 pm i am not very versed in american women authors...i went with dickinson...at least she died around that time instead of agatha christie, who not only was born just 6 years prior to 1896, she was also fricking british
Dickinson wrote poetry, and her work was published posthumously. Given the clue, it’s not much better as a guess.
as i mentioned i am not versed in american women authors...knew she was an american, knew she was a writer and knew she died in the late 1800s....how is that on the same level as saying agatha christie? seeing i knew that christie wrote books in the 1930s and the best selling detective novel of all time was published in the late 1930s and originally entitled "ten little n******" before being changed when it was released in usa
"
They’re wrong in equal and opposite measures, if you ignored half of the clue in reaching your guess. Emily Dickinson was an American writer who died in the late 1800s; Agatha Christie was a writer of fiction who was widely read during her lifetime. If you’re guessing with either, it’s because she’s the only woman 19th-century American writer/ubiquitous fiction author you could think of in thirty seconds.
AndyTheQuizzer
Lots and Lots of Interviews

Post by AndyTheQuizzer »

*puts on viewer hat* When I was playing at home, I thought they wanted a character too.

*puts on administrator hat* This is the second day in a row where your posts are incredibly disrespectful towards a contestant. This needs to stop immediately.
Andy Saunders
J! Archive Founding Archivist
Publisher - The Jeopardy! Fan
Ironhorse
Second Banana

Post by Ironhorse »

I see that some of you thought this was a bad clue but I thought it was possible to pin it down. Uncle Tom's Cabin was widely read even outside of the US; Queen Victoria famously was reported to have wept while reading it.
threearruda

Post by threearruda »

Stowe sounded right and I had it down immediately; I think I heard about the novel's commercial success in a class last year. Alex did scare the daylights out of me for mentioning Twain (got me thinking Alcott), but thankfully ended the statement with Civil War and then I was certain. 3/4 this week. Tricky clue, but certainly not impossible by any stretch.

Pheidippides is a fun name to say. :D
J! S39 - 1/27-2/1. '24 ToC ???

5x TD champ - 7x TD host
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

OntarioQuizzer wrote: Thu Jul 05, 2018 10:26 pm
*puts on viewer hat* When I was playing at home, I thought they wanted a character too.

*puts on administrator hat* This is the second day in a row where your posts are incredibly disrespectful towards a contestant. This needs to stop immediately.
being disrespectful is point out that she botched such an easy clue? i mean...like i said before...i have probably read like 5 books in their entirety and have limited book knowledge, but even i got this one
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

but didn't she give a character from les miserables? which was the answer to a previous clue in that category
davey

Post by davey »

Ironhorse wrote: Thu Jul 05, 2018 10:34 pm I see that some of you thought this was a bad clue but I thought it was possible to pin it down. Uncle Tom's Cabin was widely read even outside of the US; Queen Victoria famously was reported to have wept while reading it.
Yes, personally I found this one much easier than last night's...I had a little issue with the math in that clue!... :roll:
I can understand Alcott coming to mind but there's no comparison to the importance of Stowe's book to the 19th C.
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

38 R
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: (Fyodor Dostoyevsky), Rick Warren, (Ghee), Pheidippides, (Edward Teller)
Douglas Squasoni
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

CasketRomance wrote: Thu Jul 05, 2018 11:20 pm

being disrespectful is point out that she botched such an easy clue?
"that suzanne woman" isn't disrespectful?
Lefty

Post by Lefty »

Ironhorse wrote: Thu Jul 05, 2018 10:34 pm I see that some of you thought this was a bad clue but I thought it was possible to pin it down. Uncle Tom's Cabin was widely read even outside of the US; Queen Victoria famously was reported to have wept while reading it.
Vincent Van Gogh was a big admirer too, as revealed in some of his letters to Theo. The only other author from then I remember him raving about was Zola.
I'm smart and I want respect.
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

Alex's math comment makes no sense, but at least I can't think of any negbait that could result from it. Somehow I gravitated to the Civil War era and the novelty of a female writer having success led to Uncle Tom's Cabin. I locked in HBS before fretting about any other possibilities like Alcott. I was surprised to see it a solo get, and the number of misses here so far from awesome boardie players.

Suze had a couple of nice paydays but struggled early and got hammered on DD's. Just like the book of the month category the other day, the crime and punishment TOM went right past me. I guessed a Karamazov brother in sympathy with her wasted answer of Jean ValJean. Obviously wrong, but you might as well say something! Same goes with Steve's silly FJ reply.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

seaborgium wrote: Fri Jul 06, 2018 12:16 am

well her name is suzaanne and she is a woman
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

CasketRomance wrote: Fri Jul 06, 2018 12:59 am

I'm not saying it's inaccurate; I'm saying it's disrespectful.
Peachbox
3-time Jeopardy!/Sports Jeopardy! runner-up

Post by Peachbox »

Knew it was Stowe or Alcott, and went the wrong way. Also, it was Abraham Lincoln, not Mark Twain, who allegedly said -- according to Stowe family tradition -- "So this is the little lady who made this big war" or some such upon meeting Harriet Beecher Stowe. Except that he might not have.
MattKnowles
selwonKttaM

Post by MattKnowles »

The math hint for Final Jeopardy actually helped me. I started in 1898 and couldn't really think of anything, decided to go with the hint and subtract some years, got to around 1865, and then got to Stowe. I only just realized that her famous novel was of course published well before that year but it still helped me get the clue.
I had a dream that I was asleep and then I woke up and Jeopardy! was on.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

seaborgium wrote: Fri Jul 06, 2018 1:16 am
CasketRomance wrote: Fri Jul 06, 2018 12:59 am

I'm not saying it's inaccurate; I'm saying it's disrespectful.
How this CasketRomance guy keeps missing such a simple point is beyond me.