Thursday, July 5, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, dhkendall, trainman, econgator

User avatar
CasketRomance
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 662
Joined: Fri May 22, 2015 2:40 pm

Re: Thursday, July 5, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by CasketRomance » Thu Jul 05, 2018 9:08 pm

9021amyers wrote:
Thu Jul 05, 2018 8:57 pm
CasketRomance wrote:
Thu Jul 05, 2018 8:42 pm
i am not very versed in american women authors...i went with dickinson...at least she died around that time instead of agatha christie, who not only was born just 6 years prior to 1896, she was also fricking british
Dickinson wrote poetry, and her work was published posthumously. Given the clue, it’s not much better as a guess.
as i mentioned i am not versed in american women authors...knew she was an american, knew she was a writer and knew she died in the late 1800s....how is that on the same level as saying agatha christie? seeing i knew that christie wrote books in the 1930s and the best selling detective novel of all time was published in the late 1930s and originally entitled "ten little n******" before being changed when it was released in usa
"

User avatar
CasketRomance
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 662
Joined: Fri May 22, 2015 2:40 pm

Re: Thursday, July 5, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by CasketRomance » Thu Jul 05, 2018 9:13 pm

how that suzanne woman missed dostoevsky is beyond me...crime and punishment were in the clue

User avatar
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard
Posts: 6066
Joined: Thu Aug 11, 2011 2:33 pm
Location: Shawnee, KS
Contact:

Re: Thursday, July 5, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by opusthepenguin » Thu Jul 05, 2018 9:19 pm

CasketRomance wrote:
Thu Jul 05, 2018 9:13 pm
how that suzanne woman missed dostoevsky is beyond me...crime and punishment were in the clue
Comments like this work better if you just yell them at your TV. That way no one has to develop strong opinions about you. Except your cat. But let's face it. You blew your chance to make a good impression on that front years ago.

I was confused by the Dostoevsky clue as well. Not sure why.

User avatar
CasketRomance
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 662
Joined: Fri May 22, 2015 2:40 pm

Re: Thursday, July 5, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by CasketRomance » Thu Jul 05, 2018 9:27 pm

opusthepenguin wrote:
Thu Jul 05, 2018 9:19 pm
CasketRomance wrote:
Thu Jul 05, 2018 9:13 pm
how that suzanne woman missed dostoevsky is beyond me...crime and punishment were in the clue
Comments like this work better if you just yell them at your TV. That way no one has to develop strong opinions about you. Except your cat. But let's face it. You blew your chance to make a good impression on that front years ago.

I was confused by the Dostoevsky clue as well. Not sure why.
no cat for me...do have a dog though

but i only became active last year...signed up in 2015, but didn't post regularly until last year

9021amyers
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 1411
Joined: Fri Apr 17, 2015 12:22 am
Location: Atlanta

Re: Thursday, July 5, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by 9021amyers » Thu Jul 05, 2018 9:34 pm

CasketRomance wrote:
Thu Jul 05, 2018 9:08 pm
9021amyers wrote:
Thu Jul 05, 2018 8:57 pm
CasketRomance wrote:
Thu Jul 05, 2018 8:42 pm
i am not very versed in american women authors...i went with dickinson...at least she died around that time instead of agatha christie, who not only was born just 6 years prior to 1896, she was also fricking british
Dickinson wrote poetry, and her work was published posthumously. Given the clue, it’s not much better as a guess.
as i mentioned i am not versed in american women authors...knew she was an american, knew she was a writer and knew she died in the late 1800s....how is that on the same level as saying agatha christie? seeing i knew that christie wrote books in the 1930s and the best selling detective novel of all time was published in the late 1930s and originally entitled "ten little n******" before being changed when it was released in usa
"
They’re wrong in equal and opposite measures, if you ignored half of the clue in reaching your guess. Emily Dickinson was an American writer who died in the late 1800s; Agatha Christie was a writer of fiction who was widely read during her lifetime. If you’re guessing with either, it’s because she’s the only woman 19th-century American writer/ubiquitous fiction author you could think of in thirty seconds.

User avatar
OntarioQuizzer
Lots and Lots of Interviews
Posts: 1034
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 11:01 am

Re: Thursday, July 5, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by OntarioQuizzer » Thu Jul 05, 2018 10:26 pm

CasketRomance wrote:
Thu Jul 05, 2018 9:13 pm
how that suzanne woman missed dostoevsky is beyond me...crime and punishment were in the clue
*puts on viewer hat* When I was playing at home, I thought they wanted a character too.

*puts on administrator hat* This is the second day in a row where your posts are incredibly disrespectful towards a contestant. This needs to stop immediately.
Andy Saunders
Moderator, #JeopardyLivePanel
Host, Complete The List
J! Archive Founding Archivist
Site Admin - The Jeopardy! Fan

User avatar
Ironhorse
Wagering Pacifist
Posts: 818
Joined: Sat Apr 29, 2017 7:21 pm
Location: Cass County, Missouri

Re: Thursday, July 5, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Ironhorse » Thu Jul 05, 2018 10:34 pm

I see that some of you thought this was a bad clue but I thought it was possible to pin it down. Uncle Tom's Cabin was widely read even outside of the US; Queen Victoria famously was reported to have wept while reading it.
Never been on J!, but once won a knockoff version that aired on local access TV.

User avatar
threearruda
Loyal Jeopardista
Posts: 221
Joined: Mon Sep 04, 2017 4:02 pm
Location: Massachusetts, by way of Vermont!

Re: Thursday, July 5, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by threearruda » Thu Jul 05, 2018 11:03 pm

Stowe sounded right and I had it down immediately; I think I heard about the novel's commercial success in a class last year. Alex did scare the daylights out of me for mentioning Twain (got me thinking Alcott), but thankfully ended the statement with Civil War and then I was certain. 3/4 this week. Tricky clue, but certainly not impossible by any stretch.

Pheidippides is a fun name to say. :D

User avatar
CasketRomance
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 662
Joined: Fri May 22, 2015 2:40 pm

Re: Thursday, July 5, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by CasketRomance » Thu Jul 05, 2018 11:20 pm

OntarioQuizzer wrote:
Thu Jul 05, 2018 10:26 pm
CasketRomance wrote:
Thu Jul 05, 2018 9:13 pm
how that suzanne woman missed dostoevsky is beyond me...crime and punishment were in the clue
*puts on viewer hat* When I was playing at home, I thought they wanted a character too.

*puts on administrator hat* This is the second day in a row where your posts are incredibly disrespectful towards a contestant. This needs to stop immediately.
being disrespectful is point out that she botched such an easy clue? i mean...like i said before...i have probably read like 5 books in their entirety and have limited book knowledge, but even i got this one

User avatar
CasketRomance
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 662
Joined: Fri May 22, 2015 2:40 pm

Re: Thursday, July 5, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by CasketRomance » Thu Jul 05, 2018 11:23 pm

OntarioQuizzer wrote:
Thu Jul 05, 2018 10:26 pm
CasketRomance wrote:
Thu Jul 05, 2018 9:13 pm
how that suzanne woman missed dostoevsky is beyond me...crime and punishment were in the clue
*puts on viewer hat* When I was playing at home, I thought they wanted a character too.

but didn't she give a character from les miserables? which was the answer to a previous clue in that category

davey
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 3008
Joined: Thu Jan 12, 2012 10:55 pm

Re: Thursday, July 5, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by davey » Thu Jul 05, 2018 11:35 pm

Ironhorse wrote:
Thu Jul 05, 2018 10:34 pm
I see that some of you thought this was a bad clue but I thought it was possible to pin it down. Uncle Tom's Cabin was widely read even outside of the US; Queen Victoria famously was reported to have wept while reading it.
Yes, personally I found this one much easier than last night's...I had a little issue with the math in that clue!... :roll:
I can understand Alcott coming to mind but there's no comparison to the importance of Stowe's book to the 19th C.

User avatar
LucarioSnooperVixey
No Life
Posts: 477
Joined: Sun Jan 15, 2017 8:41 pm
Location: New Jersey

Re: Thursday, July 5, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey » Thu Jul 05, 2018 11:52 pm

38 R
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: (Fyodor Dostoyevsky), Rick Warren, (Ghee), Pheidippides, (Edward Teller)
Known in the real world as Douglas Squasoni.

seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns
Posts: 5639
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 9:31 am

Re: Thursday, July 5, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by seaborgium » Fri Jul 06, 2018 12:16 am

CasketRomance wrote:
Thu Jul 05, 2018 11:20 pm
OntarioQuizzer wrote:
Thu Jul 05, 2018 10:26 pm
CasketRomance wrote:
Thu Jul 05, 2018 9:13 pm
how that suzanne woman missed dostoevsky is beyond me...crime and punishment were in the clue
*puts on viewer hat* When I was playing at home, I thought they wanted a character too.

*puts on administrator hat* This is the second day in a row where your posts are incredibly disrespectful towards a contestant. This needs to stop immediately.
being disrespectful is point out that she botched such an easy clue?
"that suzanne woman" isn't disrespectful?

User avatar
Lefty
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 624
Joined: Sun Jul 03, 2011 4:49 pm

Re: Thursday, July 5, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Lefty » Fri Jul 06, 2018 12:28 am

Ironhorse wrote:
Thu Jul 05, 2018 10:34 pm
I see that some of you thought this was a bad clue but I thought it was possible to pin it down. Uncle Tom's Cabin was widely read even outside of the US; Queen Victoria famously was reported to have wept while reading it.
Vincent Van Gogh was a big admirer too, as revealed in some of his letters to Theo. The only other author from then I remember him raving about was Zola.
I'm smart and I want respect.

User avatar
twelvefootboy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 903
Joined: Thu Dec 29, 2016 11:18 pm
Location: Tornado Alley / Southwest Missouri

Re: Thursday, July 5, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by twelvefootboy » Fri Jul 06, 2018 12:57 am

Alex's math comment makes no sense, but at least I can't think of any negbait that could result from it. Somehow I gravitated to the Civil War era and the novelty of a female writer having success led to Uncle Tom's Cabin. I locked in HBS before fretting about any other possibilities like Alcott. I was surprised to see it a solo get, and the number of misses here so far from awesome boardie players.

Suze had a couple of nice paydays but struggled early and got hammered on DD's. Just like the book of the month category the other day, the crime and punishment TOM went right past me. I guessed a Karamazov brother in sympathy with her wasted answer of Jean ValJean. Obviously wrong, but you might as well say something! Same goes with Steve's silly FJ reply.
- All science is either physics or stamp collecting. - Ernest Rutherford (Winner of Nobel price in CHEMISTRY)-
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.

User avatar
CasketRomance
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 662
Joined: Fri May 22, 2015 2:40 pm

Re: Thursday, July 5, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by CasketRomance » Fri Jul 06, 2018 12:59 am

seaborgium wrote:
Fri Jul 06, 2018 12:16 am
CasketRomance wrote:
Thu Jul 05, 2018 11:20 pm
OntarioQuizzer wrote:
Thu Jul 05, 2018 10:26 pm
CasketRomance wrote:
Thu Jul 05, 2018 9:13 pm
how that suzanne woman missed dostoevsky is beyond me...crime and punishment were in the clue
*puts on viewer hat* When I was playing at home, I thought they wanted a character too.

*puts on administrator hat* This is the second day in a row where your posts are incredibly disrespectful towards a contestant. This needs to stop immediately.
being disrespectful is point out that she botched such an easy clue?
"that suzanne woman" isn't disrespectful?
well her name is suzaanne and she is a woman

seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns
Posts: 5639
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 9:31 am

Re: Thursday, July 5, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by seaborgium » Fri Jul 06, 2018 1:16 am

CasketRomance wrote:
Fri Jul 06, 2018 12:59 am
seaborgium wrote:
Fri Jul 06, 2018 12:16 am
CasketRomance wrote:
Thu Jul 05, 2018 11:20 pm
OntarioQuizzer wrote:
Thu Jul 05, 2018 10:26 pm
CasketRomance wrote:
Thu Jul 05, 2018 9:13 pm
how that suzanne woman missed dostoevsky is beyond me...crime and punishment were in the clue
*puts on viewer hat* When I was playing at home, I thought they wanted a character too.

*puts on administrator hat* This is the second day in a row where your posts are incredibly disrespectful towards a contestant. This needs to stop immediately.
being disrespectful is point out that she botched such an easy clue?
"that suzanne woman" isn't disrespectful?
well her name is suzaanne and she is a woman
I'm not saying it's inaccurate; I'm saying it's disrespectful.

User avatar
Peachbox
Sports Jeopardy! Contestant
Posts: 453
Joined: Fri Jun 20, 2014 5:25 am

Re: Thursday, July 5, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Peachbox » Fri Jul 06, 2018 2:41 am

Knew it was Stowe or Alcott, and went the wrong way. Also, it was Abraham Lincoln, not Mark Twain, who allegedly said -- according to Stowe family tradition -- "So this is the little lady who made this big war" or some such upon meeting Harriet Beecher Stowe. Except that he might not have.

MattKnowles
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 429
Joined: Sat Jan 07, 2017 12:33 pm

Re: Thursday, July 5, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by MattKnowles » Fri Jul 06, 2018 2:42 am

The math hint for Final Jeopardy actually helped me. I started in 1898 and couldn't really think of anything, decided to go with the hint and subtract some years, got to around 1865, and then got to Stowe. I only just realized that her famous novel was of course published well before that year but it still helped me get the clue.
I had a dream that I was asleep and then I woke up and Jeopardy! was on.

User avatar
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard
Posts: 6066
Joined: Thu Aug 11, 2011 2:33 pm
Location: Shawnee, KS
Contact:

Re: Thursday, July 5, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by opusthepenguin » Fri Jul 06, 2018 7:24 am

seaborgium wrote:
Fri Jul 06, 2018 1:16 am
CasketRomance wrote:
Fri Jul 06, 2018 12:59 am
seaborgium wrote:
Fri Jul 06, 2018 12:16 am
CasketRomance wrote:
Thu Jul 05, 2018 11:20 pm
OntarioQuizzer wrote:
Thu Jul 05, 2018 10:26 pm


*puts on viewer hat* When I was playing at home, I thought they wanted a character too.

*puts on administrator hat* This is the second day in a row where your posts are incredibly disrespectful towards a contestant. This needs to stop immediately.
being disrespectful is point out that she botched such an easy clue?
"that suzanne woman" isn't disrespectful?
well her name is suzaanne and she is a woman
I'm not saying it's inaccurate; I'm saying it's disrespectful.
How this CasketRomance guy keeps missing such a simple point is beyond me.

Post Reply