Friday, July 6, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

CasketRomance
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Friday, July 6, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by CasketRomance »

MarkBarrett wrote: Fri Jul 06, 2018 8:22 pm
CasketRomance wrote: Fri Jul 06, 2018 8:09 pm
DBear wrote: Fri Jul 06, 2018 5:33 pm The Denver affiliate is pre-empting for something call Big 3 Basketball. I didn't even watch the NBA finals, why the %*^#@)! do they think I'll watch this crap?
big 3 is on network tv? fs1 broadcasted that crap last year on tape delay...now it is being shown live on network tv? is it being held in the city of denver that it is being aired that way?
It's on KTVU the regular Fox affiliate in the Bay Area and it does not have anything to do with it being in Oakland this week. It's Fox nationally trying to get it more exposure by airing it on the main network. It's listed for FS1 on 7/13 (Detroit) and 7/20 (Miami).

The Talking Mime wrote: Fri Jul 06, 2018 8:14 pm I thought the clue might've hinted towards wanting a business known by initials, so I tried to go down that avenue and said CVS. No way I was getting to QVC.

Lauren had an impressive debut. Can't wait to see how she does when she returns Monday.
I did not catch the time, but I heard a mention about President Trump announcing his pick for the Supreme Court on Monday. Whatever the time is figure on it being more than 2 minutes of the networks interrupting regular programming.
they must have changed the televion schedule...bleacherreport has it being on fs1 and nothing about fox...and this was reported 1 day ago
The Talking Mime

Post by The Talking Mime »

DBear wrote: Fri Jul 06, 2018 5:33 pm The Denver affiliate is pre-empting for something call Big 3 Basketball. I didn't even watch the NBA finals, why the %*^#@)! do they think I'll watch this crap?
big 3 is on network tv? fs1 broadcasted that crap last year on tape delay...now it is being shown live on network tv? is it being held in the city of denver that it is being aired that way?
It's on KTVU the regular Fox affiliate in the Bay Area and it does not have anything to do with it being in Oakland this week. It's Fox nationally trying to get it more exposure by airing it on the main network. It's listed for FS1 on 7/13 (Detroit) and 7/20 (Miami).

The Talking Mime wrote: Fri Jul 06, 2018 8:14 pm I thought the clue might've hinted towards wanting a business known by initials, so I tried to go down that avenue and said CVS. No way I was getting to QVC.

Lauren had an impressive debut. Can't wait to see how she does when she returns Monday.
I did not catch the time, but I heard a mention about President Trump announcing his pick for the Supreme Court on Monday. Whatever the time is figure on it being more than 2 minutes of the networks interrupting regular programming.
Knowing Trump, it'll be a 5 minute announcement followed by 1 hour of self-congratulating remarks, so thanks for the heads up. :lol:

I get my J! fix at 7:30 Eastern (8:30 my time) on the CBS Boston feed, so I'm not too worried about a preemption, but in case these announcements are made later than I remember, I can always make a visit to the Reddit guy.
"There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge."
-Bertrand Russell
Ironhorse
Second Banana

Post by Ironhorse »

I went with Costco and was actually feeling fairly confident. :oops:
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Another Costco here.
9021amyers

Post by 9021amyers »

Ironhorse wrote: Fri Jul 06, 2018 9:02 pm I went with Costco and was actually feeling fairly confident. :oops:
It’s hard to forget that Costco was headquartered in Kirkland, Washington; the town has left its signature on everything.
Ironhorse
Second Banana

Post by Ironhorse »

9021amyers wrote: Fri Jul 06, 2018 9:18 pm
Ironhorse wrote: Fri Jul 06, 2018 9:02 pm I went with Costco and was actually feeling fairly confident. :oops:
It’s hard to forget that Costco was headquartered in Kirkland, Washington; the town has left its signature on everything.
I'm aware of the Kirkland brand but didn't know that was a town name.
davey

Post by davey »

The Talking Mime wrote: Fri Jul 06, 2018 8:44 pm

Knowing Trump, it'll be a 5 minute announcement followed by 1 hour of self-congratulating remarks, so thanks for the heads up. :lol:

I get my J! fix at 7:30 Eastern (8:30 my time) on the CBS Boston feed, so I'm not too worried about a preemption, but in case these announcements are made later than I remember, I can always make a visit to the Reddit guy.
The announcement is scheduled for 9PM EST Monday...
Would never have come to QVC...TrueValue was the best I could do... :roll:
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

"SOMEONE WITH EXTRA ACREAGE BETWEEN EYEBROWS & HAIRLINE MAY BE PUNNINGLY CALLED THIS". I forgot the category was BY THE NUMBERS so I guessed "highbrow".

I've only heard of South Padre Island, so I wondered if we'd have a reversal after Beth initially got credit for just "Padre Island". Turns out she was right and I was wrong. It's Padre Island that has the "national seashore" referenced in the clue. I didn't even know there was such a thing as a national seashore.

Beth missed the "Unfinished Symphony" clue with a very good guess of Schumann. (It was Schubert.) The knowledge was just on the tip of her brain and she either lost the coin flip or just couldn't quite get there. The other two had no guess. I spent the time humming the theme from the first movement. Never heard of the Broadway show "Blossom Time" or its "Song of Love". But there's only one singable melody from the symphony, so I knew what the tune had to be.

Sad to see underwagering on all three DDs. Lauren had a couple of chances to put the game away and save herself the nailbiter FJ. It would've been rough to see the game slip from her grasp at the last moment. Fortunately for her, she knew FJ AND Beth didn't, so she was safe two ways. She put in a very strong performance today. I'm looking forward to Monday.

Put me down as another who guessed True Value Hardware (founded 1948, headquarters in Chicago) for lack of anything better.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

opusthepenguin wrote: Fri Jul 06, 2018 10:43 pm "SOMEONE WITH EXTRA ACREAGE BETWEEN EYEBROWS & HAIRLINE MAY BE PUNNINGLY CALLED THIS". I forgot the category was BY THE NUMBERS so I guessed "highbrow".
Yeah, what was the correct response to that one? Didn't sound like something I was familiar with.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

econgator wrote: Fri Jul 06, 2018 10:52 pm
opusthepenguin wrote: Fri Jul 06, 2018 10:43 pm "SOMEONE WITH EXTRA ACREAGE BETWEEN EYEBROWS & HAIRLINE MAY BE PUNNINGLY CALLED THIS". I forgot the category was BY THE NUMBERS so I guessed "highbrow".
Yeah, what was the correct response to that one? Didn't sound like something I was familiar with.
"Five-head" (as opposed to forehead)
AFRET CMS
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by AFRET CMS »

Yep, second evening this week. People pay money to see retired out-of-shape athletes play meaningless 3-on-3 basketball. Sheesh. Usually, the station will put preempted episodes on in the middle of the night, but not this week. Thank goodness for Jeopardy fan sites.
I'm not the defending Jeopardy! champion. But I have played one on TV.
AFRET CMS
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by AFRET CMS »

opusthepenguin wrote: Fri Jul 06, 2018 10:43 pm Put me down as another who guessed True Value Hardware (founded 1948, headquarters in Chicago) for lack of anything better.
Same here, nothing else came to mind. I was vaguely aware there was a shopping channel called QVC, but never would have made the connection between the word and the initial.
I'm not the defending Jeopardy! champion. But I have played one on TV.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

seaborgium wrote: Fri Jul 06, 2018 11:05 pm
econgator wrote: Fri Jul 06, 2018 10:52 pm
"Five-head" (as opposed to forehead)
Ok, thanks. Completely missed the pun there.
Category 13
Wagering Viking

Post by Category 13 »

MarkBarrett wrote: So much for Marilyn’s game’s worth of experience helping her although as always when it happens, better in game 2 (or better) than in game 1.
Was she not in the red for the entire DJ round? I started watching for her to bomb out of Final J with about ten clues left and I wondered when the last returning champion pulled this feat, if ever.
Last edited by Category 13 on Sat Jul 07, 2018 12:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
mfc248

Post by mfc248 »

davey wrote: Fri Jul 06, 2018 10:07 pm
The Talking Mime wrote: Fri Jul 06, 2018 8:44 pm
MarkBarrett wrote: Fri Jul 06, 2018 8:22 pm It's on KTVU the regular Fox affiliate in the Bay Area and it does not have anything to do with it being in Oakland this week. It's Fox nationally trying to get it more exposure by airing it on the main network. It's listed for FS1 on 7/13 (Detroit) and 7/20 (Miami).

The announcement is scheduled for 9PM EST Monday...
Would never have come to QVC...TrueValue was the best I could do... :roll:
If this is in fact the case, it's the best possible outcome for Jeopardy! viewers - not a single market airs the show at that time (and with Daylight Saving Time in effect, no market airs it at 9:30 either).
Linear Gnome wrote: Fri Jul 06, 2018 7:18 pm
MarkBarrett wrote: Fri Jul 06, 2018 12:54 pm How in the world did Lauren get the WRITERS ON SPORTS $600 clue? She likes baseball: https://twitter.com/laurenkiehna?lang=en and Linear Gnome & Wpwells will have an added reason to root for Lauren.
Ooh, thanks for the shout-out. Steeleville, IL didn't register as "St. Louis area"--it's about a 75 minute drive away, apparently, and her tweets make it clear that she follows the Cardinals.

Good thing I got Monday's FJ! (I don't think that's a spoiler) because I've whiffed the rest of the week. I knew what QVC stands for but I didn't know it was headquartered in PA. I went with True-Value Hardware to have something.
Even though I keep the stats on contestants' home media markets, where Steeleville was in Illinois had slipped my mind between Monday morning and this evening. Lauren's the fourth player from the St. Louis area this season.

I thought "Penn." might give me an advantage - but perhaps because of the inclusion of 1986 in the clue, I also got hung up on brick-and-mortar retailers. I pulled up Google Maps afterward, and it's a scant thirteen and a half miles as the crow flies between my house and QVC Studio Park. As soon as Lauren's response was revealed, what the three letters stand for clicked right into my head - but they totally eluded me during the interval that mattered. I ended up writing down "Dollar General," maybe because the "patriotic gore" clue early in the game reminded me of the handle of one of our great tournament champions.

OntarioQuizzer counted thirty right for the new champ. Seeing that spurred me to check it against the two biggest winners of this season. Austin only equaled it once in regular play, in his tenth game; Josh surpassed it only once, with thirty-four in his second.
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

41 R
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: Baltimore, Joe Louis, Abolitionists, Marines, Gang of Four, Utica, Franz Schubert, El Salvador

QVC is literally the only channel that my Grandmother ever watches. When she saw this clue, she laughed hysterically.
Douglas Squasoni
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

I've only heard of South Padre Island, so I wondered if we'd have a reversal after Beth initially got credit for just "Padre Island". Turns out she was right and I was wrong. It's Padre Island that has the "national seashore" referenced in the clue. I didn't even know there was such a thing as a national seashore.

Beth missed the "Unfinished Symphony" clue with a very good guess of Schumann. (It was Schubert.) The knowledge was just on the tip of her brain and she either lost the coin flip or just couldn't quite get there. The other two had no guess. I spent the time humming the theme from the first movement. Never heard of the Broadway show "Blossom Time" or its "Song of Love". But there's only one singable melody from the symphony, so I knew what the tune had to be.

Sad to see underwagering on all three DDs. Lauren had a couple of chances to put the game away and save herself the nailbiter FJ. It would've been rough to see the game slip from her grasp at the last moment. Fortunately for her, she knew FJ AND Beth didn't, so she was safe two ways. She put in a very strong performance today. I'm looking forward to Monday.

Put me down as another who guessed True Value Hardware (founded 1948, headquarters in Chicago) for lack of anything better.
also the final wagers...no reason for the person in 2nd place not to go all in...why try to beat 1st place by a dollar? not like she was going to clayvin it...and the eventual champion didn't optimally wager either...8199 should have been wagered...keeps her 1 dollar above a 0 wager...no point just trying to win by a dollar over the all in by the 2nd place person
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

While the leader usually makes the MSB, you never know. Yes, going all in from second is the most beneficial if you win, but any bet that gets you in contention is fine with me.

As for the leader, I would never bet more than the MSB. It is just asking for trouble. Not worth it for a few extra dollars.
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

Bamaman wrote: Sat Jul 07, 2018 7:36 am While the leader usually makes the MSB, you never know. Yes, going all in from second is the most beneficial if you win, but any bet that gets you in contention is fine with me.

As for the leader, I would never bet more than the MSB. It is just asking for trouble. Not worth it for a few extra dollars.
what is MSB?
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

Bamaman wrote: Sat Jul 07, 2018 7:36 am While the leader usually makes the MSB, you never know. Yes, going all in from second is the most beneficial if you win, but any bet that gets you in contention is fine with me.

okay...i see...minimum shutout bet...but the amount i mentioned wouldn't put her in trouble...still keeps her above the 0 wager and she sets herself up for a bigger payday...only thing it hurts is if they both miss and then she wins less money