FJs for the 7/2/18 week

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Which FJ! clues did you solve correctly for the 7/2/18 week?

Poll ended at Sun Oct 21, 2018 7:49 pm

In a 1989 novel, Jing-Mei Woo says, "My father has asked me to be the fourth corner" in this title group
82%
Like UNESCO, the EU has heritage sites; 2 of the first 4, a WWII internment camp & a Peace Palace, were in this occupied country
17%
25 years after these 3 men played a huge festival, they went back to play again & ended the set with a tune about the 1st show
75%
Her 1896 New York Times obituary called her “the writer of probably the most widely read work of fiction ever penned”
69%
Promising “value”, which partly gives it its name, this Pennsylvania-based retailer did $7,400 in sales on its opening day in 1986
20%
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: I checked all five above.
3%
:( :( :( :( :( I missed all the FJ! clues.
2%
GOVERNMENT ABCs $1000: Industrial hazards in the workplace are among this administration's concerns: OSHA
73%
TV MOVIES? $1000: Robert Redford directed this 1994 movie about scandal in 1950s television
84%
ON THE FOURTH OF JULY $1000: U.S. troops in Paris on July 4, 1917 visited his tomb, where Lt. Col. Charles Stanton famously said to him, “We are here!”
44%
I have read the book and/or seen the movie "The Joy Luck Club."
21%
Poland was my incorrect guess for the Tuesday FJ! clue.
64%
Prior to the Tuesday game I had heard of Westerbork, the internment camp referenced in the FJ! clue.
3%
Louisa May Alcott was my incorrect guess for the Thursday FJ! clue.
13%
I missed the Friday clue guessing a company with a brick & mortar retail store presence.
72%
I have purchased something from QVC.
6%

Total votes: 126

AFRET CMS
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Re: FJs for the 7/2/18 week

Post by AFRET CMS »

:( :( :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :(
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Went with Poland, though I couldn't remember whether or not it had joined the EU.
True Value Hardware just to have something; never made the connection between QVC and "value." Can't remember ever purchasing anything from any TV shopping channel. I think I bought an "as seen on TV" wrench set umpteen years ago from a commercial.

Did OK on the extra clues; they seemed pretty straightforward.
I'm not the defending Jeopardy! champion. But I have played one on TV.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

:mrgreen: :( :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :(
:( :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

I guessed Norway on Tuesday, could only muster the joke guess of "Val-Mart" on Friday. I got that the word "value" literally and directly figured into the retailer's name, but never got as far as shortening it to an initial.
Bartleby
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by Bartleby »

:mrgreen: :( :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :(
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :(

Instagets M-W-Th.
Poland Tuesday. I've heard of the Peace Palace but didn't know its location. Westerbork is unfamiliar.
Utter squadoosh Friday. Would have written down Target on the show but was absolutely sure they started in Minnesota and were much older. Never bought from QVC.

Have not read or seen The Joy Luck Club.
I would prefer not to.
Wpwells
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by Wpwells »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :( :mrgreen:
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Never seen nor read Joy Luck Club
Alcott on Thursday
Heard of Westerbork
Never purchased anything from QVC
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

:( :( :mrgreen: :( :(
:( :mrgreen: :(

I knew what OSHA stood for, but couldn't quite get it to my mouth in time. I hate long answers like that because they're way too easy to trip up on.

Best guess on Friday was Rite Aid, which is wrong on so many levels.
Linear Gnome
One Miner Gal

Post by Linear Gnome »

:mrgreen: :( :( :( :(
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :(

Ugh, pretty bad week. I'm the right age to have gotten the CSN response, but I somehow managed not to know that. I woke up from a nap during Thursday's FJ! clue right before the reveal and wasn't awake enough to turn off the TV to give me more time to parse the clue--I think it's less than 50-50 I would have gotten it right.

I think I saw the movie of The Joy Luck Club once. I think I said True-Value Hardware on Friday to have something. Don't recall having heard of Westerbork. I don't think I've ever purchased anything from QVC, but I came close: I bought a prepaid phone bundle from HSN. There was a slightly better deal on QVC but I liked HSN's case choices better.

32335232[13ToC}31333432344332[2noTB]33334[43CC]33[22TT]2342331,121-95