TD 388 - Mystery Theme! - Theme and final results revealed

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

User avatar
xxaaaxx
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 2131
Joined: Fri Aug 05, 2011 9:29 pm
Location: Brooklyn, NY

Re: TD 388 - Mystery Theme! - Theme and final results revealed

Post by xxaaaxx »

Another top 5 finish that was nowhere remotely close to the leaders :lol:

I guessed the theme based solely on a spam -> Spamalot and Yankees -> Damn Yankees WAG. I couldn't imagine what the other hints could be (though South Pacific seems obvious in hindsight), and I can't believe I actually got it right, since Broadway is my worst subject by a mile. Clever bonus.

Thanks for a great TD!

User avatar
squarekara
LEGO my Ego
Posts: 779
Joined: Wed Feb 08, 2017 12:49 am
Location: Land o' Lincoln

Re: TD 388 - Mystery Theme! - Theme and final results revealed

Post by squarekara »

Wow, Sensei! I was nowhere near to getting this theme. Because of Baltimore and the NY Yankees, I figured Triple Crown, even with no hint of Churchill Downs in the puzzle. (Heck, they could've put horsemeat in SPAM at some point, for all I know. Seems more logical an ingredient than macadamia nuts!) The mention of Janet Jackson's Wardrobe Malfunction only led me toward a Justin-Justified-Justify red herring! Thanks for hosting and for putting the 70's music in my head.

User avatar
SenseiCAY
Jeopardy Participant
Posts: 615
Joined: Mon Oct 30, 2017 3:56 pm
Location: Silver Spring, MD
Contact:

Re: TD 388 - Mystery Theme! - Theme and final results revealed

Post by SenseiCAY »

clt013 wrote:
Fri Jul 20, 2018 10:13 am
Five sheep for 46 points and I still wind up in the top 10 with a final score of 44 - really appreciate those bonus opportunities. :)

Thanks for hosting!
I've figured out two hard and fast rules about TD from playing and hosting these:
  1. If you know at least one answer in each question, then you've got a good shot.
  2. Rule number 1 sometimes doesn't apply.

User avatar
MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 11060
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 10:37 am
Location: San Francisco

Re: TD 388 - Mystery Theme! - Theme and final results revealed

Post by MarkBarrett »

The Mystery Theme was something I spent next to no time on as I took Ghost Island from Survivor and translated that into Ghost Protocol to guess the theme was Mission:Impossible. For the most recent portion of the bonus I then had the 2018 movie Fallout.

Thanks for a fun game and nicely done by the bonus solvers and winners.

User avatar
SenseiCAY
Jeopardy Participant
Posts: 615
Joined: Mon Oct 30, 2017 3:56 pm
Location: Silver Spring, MD
Contact:

Re: TD 388 - Mystery Theme! - Theme and final results revealed

Post by SenseiCAY »

Woof wrote:
Fri Jul 20, 2018 10:44 am
RJRouge wrote:
Fri Jul 20, 2018 10:32 am
Even this early in my time playing these, it was probably my best shot at a victory. Should I curse Woof for pulling ahead or Wild Cherry for being too memorable? :lol:
Curse us both, but recall that I was bit by that same sheep, too. Most galling since I could have named 8 of those songs and artists. Great TD, and congrats to you and ElendilPickle for your strong finishes. No one who knows will believe that I got a musical mystery theme :mrgreen:
I expected a lot of people to know a lot of those songs, since I tried to pick ones that weren't too obscure, especially since I was only giving the lyrics and not clips from the songs. I was not expecting Wild Cherry to sheep, either - I expected KISS or the Beatles to take that honor.

Congrats on the win!

User avatar
Magna
Hooked on Jeopardy
Posts: 3077
Joined: Thu Jan 19, 2012 2:37 pm

Re: TD 388 - Mystery Theme! - Theme and final results revealed

Post by Magna »

I figured the clues were probably pointing to Hairspray, Spamalot, South Pacific, Damn Yankees, and Big River. Although I thought the Princeton clue was pointing to Jersey Boys. I don't watch the Tony Awards or even follow them - I happened to know these from Sporcle quizzes.

Thanks for the fun TD, and the ingenious theme! And somehow I managed to end up in 5th place again. :D

CoachP
Jeopardy! Champion
Posts: 463
Joined: Thu Jul 26, 2012 3:24 am

Re: TD 388 - Mystery Theme! - Theme and final results revealed

Post by CoachP »

Thanks for TD and accepting my last minute entry! Didn't see that theme coming at all...well done!
I gotta stop second-guessing myself on the mental coinflips. Oh well, it was nice being in the top ten for a brief period of time.

User avatar
SenseiCAY
Jeopardy Participant
Posts: 615
Joined: Mon Oct 30, 2017 3:56 pm
Location: Silver Spring, MD
Contact:

Re: TD 388 - Mystery Theme! - Theme and final results revealed

Post by SenseiCAY »

Magna wrote:
Fri Jul 20, 2018 12:58 pm
I figured the clues were probably pointing to Hairspray, Spamalot, South Pacific, Damn Yankees, and Big River. Although I thought the Princeton clue was pointing to Jersey Boys. I don't watch the Tony Awards or even follow them - I happened to know these from Sporcle quizzes.

Thanks for the fun TD, and the ingenious theme! And somehow I managed to end up in 5th place again. :D
Thanks for playing!

I didn’t make the Princeton-Jersey Boys connection at all!

Asking about the school seemed natural, and I figured it would be frowned upon to ask players to name an Internet porn site.

clprez
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 808
Joined: Wed Feb 26, 2014 9:01 pm

Re: TD 388 - Mystery Theme! - Theme and final results revealed

Post by clprez »

I'm not very good at finding mystery themes, and this game was no different. I think the only individual question I got was the one about the Yankees, and I had no shot at the overall theme.

Thanks for an enjoyable game. I did pretty well considering all my sheeps, but it looks like there were people in worse shape than me.

User avatar
SenseiCAY
Jeopardy Participant
Posts: 615
Joined: Mon Oct 30, 2017 3:56 pm
Location: Silver Spring, MD
Contact:

Re: TD 388 - Mystery Theme! - Theme and final results revealed

Post by SenseiCAY »

Magna wrote:
Fri Jul 20, 2018 12:58 pm
I figured the clues were probably pointing to Hairspray, Spamalot, South Pacific, Damn Yankees, and Big River. Although I thought the Princeton clue was pointing to Jersey Boys. I don't watch the Tony Awards or even follow them - I happened to know these from Sporcle quizzes.

Thanks for the fun TD, and the ingenious theme! And somehow I managed to end up in 5th place again. :D
Thanks for playing!

I didn’t make the Princeton-Jersey Boys connection at all!

Asking about the school seemed natural, and I figured it would be frowned upon to ask players to name an Internet porn site.

User avatar
RJRouge
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 306
Joined: Mon Jun 25, 2018 4:39 pm

Re: TD 388 - Mystery Theme! - Theme and final results revealed

Post by RJRouge »

Woof wrote:
Fri Jul 20, 2018 10:44 am
RJRouge wrote:
Fri Jul 20, 2018 10:32 am
Even this early in my time playing these, it was probably my best shot at a victory. Should I curse Woof for pulling ahead or Wild Cherry for being too memorable? :lol:
Curse us both, but recall that I was bit by that same sheep, too. Most galling since I could have named 8 of those songs and artists. Great TD, and congrats to you and ElendilPickle for your strong finishes. No one who knows will believe that I got a musical mystery theme :mrgreen:
But I don't have enough ingredients to...

Oh. Yes. I was, of course, speaking figuratively. *cough*

Well done yourself.

User avatar
Magna
Hooked on Jeopardy
Posts: 3077
Joined: Thu Jan 19, 2012 2:37 pm

Re: TD 388 - Mystery Theme! - Theme and final results revealed

Post by Magna »

SenseiCAY wrote:
Fri Jul 20, 2018 6:23 pm
Magna wrote:
Fri Jul 20, 2018 12:58 pm
I figured the clues were probably pointing to Hairspray, Spamalot, South Pacific, Damn Yankees, and Big River. Although I thought the Princeton clue was pointing to Jersey Boys. I don't watch the Tony Awards or even follow them - I happened to know these from Sporcle quizzes.

Thanks for the fun TD, and the ingenious theme! And somehow I managed to end up in 5th place again. :D
Thanks for playing!

I didn’t make the Princeton-Jersey Boys connection at all!

Asking about the school seemed natural, and I figured it would be frowned upon to ask players to name an Internet porn site.
"Name any porn site featuring Woodrow Wilson, Alan Turing, and muppets."

User avatar
SenseiCAY
Jeopardy Participant
Posts: 615
Joined: Mon Oct 30, 2017 3:56 pm
Location: Silver Spring, MD
Contact:

Re: TD 388 - Mystery Theme! - Theme and final results revealed

Post by SenseiCAY »

Magna wrote:
Fri Jul 20, 2018 8:20 pm
SenseiCAY wrote:
Fri Jul 20, 2018 6:23 pm
Magna wrote:
Fri Jul 20, 2018 12:58 pm
I figured the clues were probably pointing to Hairspray, Spamalot, South Pacific, Damn Yankees, and Big River. Although I thought the Princeton clue was pointing to Jersey Boys. I don't watch the Tony Awards or even follow them - I happened to know these from Sporcle quizzes.

Thanks for the fun TD, and the ingenious theme! And somehow I managed to end up in 5th place again. :D
Thanks for playing!

I didn’t make the Princeton-Jersey Boys connection at all!

Asking about the school seemed natural, and I figured it would be frowned upon to ask players to name an Internet porn site.
"Name any porn site featuring Woodrow Wilson, Alan Turing, and muppets."
Rule 34, man.

User avatar
ElendilPickle
ToC Enabler
Posts: 2637
Joined: Tue May 15, 2012 12:53 am

Re: TD 388 - Mystery Theme! - Theme and final results revealed

Post by ElendilPickle »

Oh. My. Word. I would never have gotten that theme. Brilliant!

Thank you for a fantastic TD!

Quantum
Valued Contributor
Posts: 82
Joined: Thu Mar 22, 2018 8:52 am

Re: TD 388 - Mystery Theme! - Theme and final results revealed

Post by Quantum »

I agree with ElendilPickle. This was a very well-crafted TD, and lots of fun, even though I had no clue about the theme. Thanks!

Post Reply