Tuesday, July 10, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Tuesday, July 10, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

Game Recap for Show #7802, 2018-07-10

CONTESTANTS
Doug Dworkin, a business and technology consultant from New York, New York
Becky Wilson, an operations engineer from Aurora, Colorado
Wes Hazard, a standup comic and storyteller from Stoughton, Massachusetts (whose 1-day cash winnings total $14,400)

OPENING REMARKS
Alex: Thank you, Johnny. Hi, folks. Nice to have you with us. We had a killer Final Jeopardy! on yesterday's program. It's amazing how many people have forgotten all about Harry Truman. Becky, Doug, welcome aboard. Wes, good to see you again, and now I put you to work in this first round of Jeopardy! One Daily Double awaiting you three in one of these categories...

JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
GOOD GROOMING (4/5)
OPERA HEROINES (5/5)
TIME RHYME (2/5)
KING OF THE CASTLE (4/5)
EXTREME SPORTS? (3/4)
THE FBI's 10 MOST WANTED LIST (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Wes: 9 R, 1 W
Becky: 10 R (including 1 rebound and 1 DD), 2 W
Doug: 4 R (including 1 rebound), 3 W

Clues revealed: 29
Triple Stumpers: 6
Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $4,600

JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Becky found the Daily Double on the 14th clue. Wes had $1,200, Becky had $2,200, and Doug was at $2,000. Becky wagered $1,000.

THE FBI's 10 MOST WANTED LIST $1000: The list was already full, but this man was specially added in April 1968 after a high-profile Memphis murder
(Alex: The assassination of Martin Luther King Jr.)

SCORES AT THE FIRST BREAK
Becky: $2,200
Wes: $1,200
Doug: $1,000

CONTESTANT INTERVIEWS

Alex: There's a bit of information on this card about Doug Dworkin from New York City that fascinates me. It says here that you once gave a surprise party for...

Doug: Myself.

Alex: How does that work?

Doug: Nobody else would give me a surprise party, so I worked with a confederate, and I hid under a snack table while all the guests were arriving, and I jumped out and surprised them. Now the downside of this was one guy was talking while I was under the table, and he said, "Well, I was gonna get Doug this, but I didn't wanna spend 20 bucks." And then a cousin of my future wife almost kicked me in the face under the table.

Alex: Problems.

Doug: Problems, yes.

Alex: Don't throw a surprise party for yourself ever again.

Alex: Becky Wilson from Aurora, Colorado. Coming out to participate on our program has given you an opportunity to see something for the very first time, and I'm not talking about me.

Becky: That is important too, but no. I had never seen an ocean before. So I've traveled, but it's always been--

Alex: Inland.

Becky: Inside. And there's a lot of country to see inside, in the middle.

Alex: Okay.

Alex: Wes Hazard. He's our champion. We introduce you as a standup comic and storyteller. But on a show you host, you're not the one doing the storytelling. Tell me about that.

Wes: Yes, I host a show on National Public Television where people from all over the country come in and tell stories on theme. So it's no notes, all true. It has to be in the first person. And I really feel that it's the best way to learn about not only the people, but the country as a whole.

Alex: All right, good for you.

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
GOOD GROOMING $1000: Rough elbows can benefit from this type of product that hydrates & softens, from the Latin for "soft"
(Becky: What is lotion?)
(Doug: What is moisturizer?)

TIME RHYME $400: An eventual stitch for a wound

TIME RHYME $800: Calculated 1/60th of a minute

TIME RHYME $1000: I know a guy for whom Pete's Wicked Ale had this 4-word distinction for 1993

KING OF THE CASTLE $600: El Pardo, 1975-2014:
This recent abdicator
(Doug: What is King of Spain?)
(Alex: Need a name.)
[Doug pauses as the lights on his podium go out.]
(Alex: No, sorry.)
(Doug: [*].)
(Alex: No, you didn't get it in in time, sorry.)
(Doug: Oh.)
(Alex: But you are correct. Becky, back to you.)

EXTREME SPORTS? $800: Most faked injuries? Gotta be soccer, where faking an injury is called this, also an Olympic sport
[The end-of-round signal sounds.]

SCORES AT THE END OF THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
Becky: $4,000
Wes: $3,600
Doug: -$200
Last edited by Archivists on Wed Jan 30, 2019 4:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Tuesday, July 10, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
LITERARY TYPES (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
POP SONG OVERLAPS (5/5)
ENDANGERED ANIMALS (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
YESTERCAREER (4/5)
FROM Z TO A (5/5)
NAT GEO (4/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Becky: 15 R (including 1 rebound and 1 DD), 2 W
Wes: 7 R (including 2 rebounds), 0 W
Doug: 6 R (including 1 DD), 2 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 2
Double Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $2,800

FIRST DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Becky snagged the next Daily Double on the 6th clue. Wes had $4,000, Becky had $8,000, and Doug had a deficit with -$200. Becky wagered $2,000.

LITERARY TYPES $2000: In Sauk Centre, Minnesota, a street (not Main Street), is named for this author born there in 1885

SECOND DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
It was Doug who snatched up the last Daily Double of the game on the 9th clue. Wes had $4,000, Becky had $10,400, and Doug was at $600. Doug wagered $2,000.

ENDANGERED ANIMALS $800: Found only in Vietnam & Laos the saola has parallel horns, yet it's also called "the Asian" this mythical creature

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND
YESTERCAREER $2000: Author/magistrate Henry Fielding professionalized this job when he started the Bow Street runners

NAT GEO $800: Some think his "one life to give" was taken in NYC in 1776 near 3rd Ave. & 66th St.; others, in City Hall Park
(Becky: Who is Patrick Henry?)

SCORES ENTERING FINAL JEOPARDY!
Becky: $18,400
Wes: $13,200
Doug: $3,800

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
AGRICULTURE

VENUSIAN MONOLOGUES/MARTIAN CHRONICLES
Two-thirds for first place. Shore's Conjecture.
Becky: Wager $8,001 to cover Wes, but no more than $10,799 so as not to fall behind Doug's doubled score. If you're a fan of shoretegic wagering, you might risk $401.
Wes: You'll want to wager between $0 (venusian) and $2,800 (martian), and you'll win the game if Becky wagers enough and gets it wrong.
Doug: Unfortunately, your score is less than the difference between the scores of the first and second place players, so unless they both blunder, you're competing for second place and have no hopes of first. Wager as much as you desire, but remember, you'll have better chances of advancing to second place if you have a larger sum left over on a Triple Stumper.

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
Turkey is the world's largest producer of these fruits; its town of Cerasus was famous for them

FINAL SCORES
Doug: $3,800 - $3,800 = $0 (What are dates?) (3rd place: $1,000)
Wes: $13,200 - $805 = $12,395 (What are figs) (2-day champion: $26,795)
Becky: $18,400 - $8,001 = $10,399 (What are dates?) (2nd place: $2,000)
(Alex: [To Becky] Cerasus. Cerise.)

Total Potential Lach Trash: $7,400

GAME DYNAMICS

CORYAT SCORES
Becky: $18,400, 25 R (including 2 DDs), 4 W
Wes: $13,200, 16 R, 1 W
Doug: $2,600, 10 R (including 1 DD), 5 W
Combined Coryat: $34,200

BATTING AVERAGES
Becky: 25/60 = .417
Wes: 16/58 = .276
Doug: 10/59 = .169
Team: 51/63 = .810

MISCELLANEOUS INTERESTING CLUES
GOOD GROOMING $800: The Army has style rules, like max 1/8" of skin between these, defined as "hair rolled or braided closely to the scalp"
(Wes: What are braids?)
(Becky: What are dreadlocks?)

OPERA HEROINES $1000: Joan Sutherland is seen here as the daughter of this military group in a Donizetti work

THE FBI's 10 MOST WANTED LIST $400: Many protested when this woman was added to the list in 1970--she was later acquitted

KING OF THE CASTLE $800: Neuschwanstein Castle, 1864-1886:
This mad man
(Doug: Who is George III?)
(Alex: Less than a minute now.)

POP SONG OVERLAPS $2000: "Teenage ____ Police"
(Becky: What is riot?)

YESTERCAREER $1200: A spinner made this
(Doug: [*]. ...What is [*]?)

FROM Z TO A $400: Scientists in South Africa are trying to bring back the quagga, a species of this that became extinct in the 19th century

FROM Z TO A $1600: Costing a fraction of the price, one of the most popular diamond substitutes is cubic this
(Doug: What is zirconium?)

ENDANGERED ANIMALS $2000: (Jimmy of the Clue Crew presents from Como Park Zoo in St. Paul, Minnesota.) Como Zoo offers programs to help raise awareness about orangutans, because largely to deforestation, the numbers are dwindling in their last two native habitats, leaving about 50,000 orangutans on Borneo & only 14,000 on this Indonesian island to the west
(Doug; What is Java?)

CORRECT RESPONSES
James Earl Ray
emollient
a future suture
reckoned a second
beer of the year
Juan Carlos
diving
Sinclair Lewis
a unicorn
a policeman
Nathan Hale
cherries
cornrows
a regiment
Angela Davis
(Mad King) Ludwig (of Bavaria)
dream
thread
a zebra
zirconia
Sumatra
Last edited by Archivists on Wed Jan 30, 2019 4:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by theFJguy »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
AGRICULTURE

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
Turkey is the world’s largest producer of these fruits; its town of Cerasus was famous for them

Wes Hazard: 13200-805=12395 (2x = $26,795)
Becky Wilson: 18400-8001=10399
Doug Dworkin: 3800-3800=0

Correct response:
Spoiler
cherries (Wes – figs) (Becky – dates) (Doug – dates)

Daily Doubles
Becky: 2200+1000
Becky: 8000+2000
Doug: 600+2000

Coryats
Wes: 13200
Becky: 18400
Doug: 2600

Combined: 34,200

Scores at the end of the Jeopardy! Round
Wes: 3600
Becky: 4000
Doug: minus 200
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Becky got half of the clues right in the DJ! round including two category runs. That was more than enough to have the lead though not enough to have a 2/3rds game thanks to clue 30.

ENDANGERED ANIMALS $2000 concluded the DJ! round and Doug went from 5800 to 3800 while Wes went from 11200 to 13200 to change the wagering scenarios.

The FJ! clue had Turkey while I went French for a Hammer special of Cerasus reminds me in its look & sound of cerise. I translated that into English and was done.

Did I know I was right? No. Doug’s dates and Wes’s figs looked like a Turkey fruit as good as my guess. It was not until Alex was done with Becky and gave the correct response that I could relax.

Wes has won twice from a solid second place position being well ahead of the third place contestant. Wes has yet to find a DD or get a FJ! clue correct. To me it seems like Wes is due to demonstrate better mastery on the signaling device, get a DD right, have the lead for the FJ! round and get the clue right.

No matter what happens viewers get to see another outfit from Wes’s distinctive wardrobe.
Saturnalia
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Saturnalia »

The Sinclair Lewis DD is my pavlov-to-drill for today. Also negged by saying "Miriam" instead of "Mimi," whoops! Instaget Final; too much time studying romance languages, I guess. LOVE Wes's outfits.
Wpwells

Post by Wpwells »

I didn't find the TOM, opting instead for a fruit that I know Turkey grows a lot of and thus matching Wes's fig response.
MDCSWildcats86

Post by MDCSWildcats86 »

I guessed "pumpkins" for FJ!

Tells you what I know about Turkish agriculture.
StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Post by StevenH »

I had no clue on FJ. I figured that the best bet on a TOM was to look at Cerasus from the etymological angle, but I got nowhere. I guessed pomegranates.
Tencent
Contributor

Post by Tencent »

Excellent wrong answer for Becky in Double Jeopardy. Perhaps an all time cool wrong answer (in my book).
The answer "riot" she gave was in no doubt a reference to Sonic Youth's "Teenage Riot"

4 time pool swimmer
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Saturnalia wrote: Tue Jul 10, 2018 2:09 pm The Sinclair Lewis DD is my pavlov-to-drill for today.
That might be good to know. I said Thorton Wilder, thinking it was from Our Town.
StevenH wrote: Tue Jul 10, 2018 4:32 pm I had no clue on FJ. I figured that the best bet on a TOM was to look at Cerasus from the etymological angle, but I got nowhere. I guessed pomegranates.
Same here on trying to work out something from Cerasus, except I said dates.

Alex did make note of Wes' savvy wagering. I was hoping he would end with a narrow lock over Doug so we could see if he would do it again. Now all we need is a really savvy leader tomorrow taking advantage of Wes' wagering style.
Ironhorse
Second Banana

Post by Ironhorse »

I said apples, thinking of the apples Hercules had to steal during his Labours.
Elijah Baley

Post by Elijah Baley »

I came up with apricots - and it turns out Turkey is the largest producer of dried apricots. Cherries would have been far down on the list of fruits I'd associate with Turkey - and definitely behind figs, olives and dates. The etymology of Cerasus was Greek to me.
tiwonge
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by tiwonge »

I was thinking Cerasus was a varietal of some fruit, and I had never heard of it, so I didn't get that hint. Was waffling between figs and pomegranates, and went for figs because I assumed they'd have a wider variety of type and maybe that was a variety of fig I wasn't aware of.
Bob78164
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Bob78164 »

This game is a win for the Weak Form of Shore's Conjecture. The second-place player bet "small." --Bob
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

I was 0/29 on the J! round. Those were a bunch of categories in my hammerhouse. Beauty tips, royalty, and sports?

However, I ran Z to A. Got all but the bottom on my wheelhouse of animals, since I couldn't shift gears after the Java neg.

Couldn't grasp the Time Rhyme category since they reversed the category name for no reason, causing me to fail to process it as a Rhyme Time category until $800.

Any reason I should know that king was Louis XIV and not any of the other eleventy billion kings of France?

Vintager = collector of grapes? What was the TOM?

If this clue even had a TOM, then I didn't see it.
Leander

Post by Leander »

I thought the reference to the Turkish town was pointing to a mythological connection, so I juggled between apricots, apples and pomegranates. Never thought of cherries, even though I was aware of the French word.
Last edited by Leander on Tue Jul 10, 2018 8:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
9021amyers

Post by 9021amyers »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Tue Jul 10, 2018 7:37 pm Vintager = collector of grapes? What was the TOM?

In wine terms, the “vintage” stands for a particular year’s grape harvest.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

9021amyers wrote: Tue Jul 10, 2018 8:02 pm
TenPoundHammer wrote: Tue Jul 10, 2018 7:37 pm Vintager = collector of grapes? What was the TOM?

And for those of us who don't drink wine...?
9021amyers

Post by 9021amyers »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Tue Jul 10, 2018 8:02 pm
9021amyers wrote: Tue Jul 10, 2018 8:02 pm

And for those of us who don't drink wine...?
You make an educated guess that a word starting with “vin” is derived from winemaking.
davey

Post by davey »

I wonder if more would have gotten FJ if the category was Word Origins rather than Agriculture. When I made that change in thinking I moved on from figs to the correct response, but that was a good 15 seconds in...