Wednesday, July 11, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Wednesday, July 11, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

Game Recap for Show #7803, 2018-07-11

CONTESTANTS
Stel Plakas, a project manager from Flushing, New York
George Holcomb, a writer and musician from Harrison, Arkansas
Wes Hazard, a standup comic and storyteller from Stoughton, Massachusetts (whose 2-day cash winnings total $26,795)

OPENING REMARKS
Alex: Thank you, Johnny. I hope you notice, ladies and gentlemen, that all three of our players today, as they were introduced--Stel, George, and Wes--seemed to be so happy to be here today. Well, that's good, and good luck. Here we go. Let's see if you feel the same at the end of the program. Here are the categories...

JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
MONKEY, SEE? (4/5)
I CAN NAME THAT PERSON IN 2 WORDS (4/5)
CLASSIC MOVIE: THE VIDEO GAME (5/5)
BUSINESS & INDUSTRY (5/5)
FIRST NAMES IN THE DICTIONARY (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
"LITTLE" NURSERY RHYME CHARACTERS (4/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Wes: 12 R (including 1 DD), 0 W
George: 10 R, 1 W
Stel: 5 R, 1 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 3
Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $2,000

SCORES AT THE FIRST BREAK
George: $5,200
Wes: $1,600
Stel: $1,000

CONTESTANT INTERVIEWS

Alex: Stel Plakas is from Flushing, New York. He's of Greek descent, and weren't you interviewed on CNN because of that?

Stel: I was. Yeah, for a special. It's one of these places around the world known as a blue zone, where people live exceptionally long. About 3/4 of the people live over 90.

Alex: Ah.

Stel: There's almost no rate of dementia.

Alex: All right.

Alex: George Holcomb, writer and musician and also someone who enjoys a relaxing pastime. I understand you're a knitter.

George: Yes, I am. My wife's grandmother taught me to knit. We were sitting on the couch watching TV. She said, "You're wasting time."

Alex: Aha. So you can knit, you can purl, you can drop stitches too?

George: Oh, absolutely. There's one thing I can't do.

Alex: Oh? What?

George: Make a thing fit.

Alex: Okay.

Alex: Wes Hazard is our champion. He's a standup comic, a storyteller. And in a visit to Turkey, you were mistaken for a mascot?

Wes: Yeah. Back in 2005, I was touring Turkey, going all around towns. And after two days, I just noticed people kept on walking past me and just shouting, "Bonus! Bonus!" And I was very puzzled. I finally asked my tour guide. He's like, "Oh, yeah, you"--I had a giant afro at the time--"you look exactly like the mascot of a credit card company that has these commercials out all the time. And at first, I was just like, "What?" But after day 7, I was like "Bonus! You know it!"

Alex: Take advantage of the moment. Good.

JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Wes found the Daily Double on the 21st clue. Wes had $2,800, George had $5,800, and Stel was at $1,400. Wes wagered $2,000.

FIRST NAMES IN THE DICTIONARY $1000: First names in the dictionary that are synonyms for a Christmas song include Carol & this male name

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
"LITTLE" NURSERY RHYME CHARACTERS $400: They soiled their mittens by eating pie

I CAN NAME THAT PERSON IN 2 WORDS $800: Bavarian pope

MONKEY, SEE? $800: The Celebes crested macaque has a tiny tail, so it's sometimes mistakenly called the Celebes this tailless primate
(George: What is a chimp?)
(Stel: What is a baboon?)

SCORES AT THE END OF THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
Wes: $7,800
George: $6,600
Stel: $1,000
Last edited by Archivists on Wed Jan 30, 2019 4:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Wednesday, July 11, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
IT HAPPENED IN 2005 (4/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
TV SHOWS BY FAMILY (3/5)
GREEK MYTHOLOGY (4/5)
OUR NATION'S CAPITAL BEFORE & AFTER (4/5)
BLACK WOMEN AUTHORS (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
LEXICON VALLEY (4/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Wes: 10 R (including 1 rebound and 1 DD), 0 W
Stel: 11 R (including 1 DD), 2 W
George: 4 R, 0 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 6
Double Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $8,000

FIRST DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Stel snagged the next Daily Double on the 19th clue. Wes had $14,600, George had $9,000, and Stel was at $6,200. Stel wagered $3,000.

IT HAPPENED IN 2005 $800: This web-based mapping service introduced in 2005 gives a satellite view of Paris, Tokyo or your own block
(George: What is Google Maps?)
[Originally ruled incorrect; ruled correct before the second Daily Double]
[ERRATUM: Google Earth was introduced in 2001, not 2005.]

SECOND DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
It was Wes who snatched up the last Daily Double of the game on the 29th clue. Wes had $17,400, George had $12,200, and Stel was at $11,200. Wes wagered $2,000.

BLACK WOMEN AUTHORS $1600: This British author of "White Teeth" also wrote "Swing Time", a story of 2 childhood friends who dream of being dancers

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND
GREEK MYTHOLOGY $400: In a battle between them, Ares is defeated by this Greek goddess of war, his female counterpart

TV SHOWS BY FAMILY $1600: The DiMeos, including son J.J., who has cerebral palsy

TV SHOWS BY FAMILY $2000: So-Cal family the Cohens, who celebrated Chrismukkah

OUR NATION'S CAPITAL BEFORE & AFTER $1200: A 2-time Oscar-winning actor is honored by a 554-foot obelisk

IT HAPPENED IN 2005 $1200: The 13 senators who voted no on her confirmation was the largest number for any Secretary of State since 1825
(Stel: Who is Hillary Rodham Clinton?)

LEXICON VALLEY $1600: This Arabic word for "valley" means a ravine that becomes a river during the rainy season

SCORES ENTERING FINAL JEOPARDY!
Wes: $21,400
George: $12,200
Stel: $11,200

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
FROM BOOKS TO BROADWAY

VENUSIAN MONOLOGUES/MARTIAN CHRONICLES
Crush for first place.
Wes: Wager $3,001 to cover George.
George: You have the hope of surpassing Wes if you come up with the correct response. Bet at least $10,201 to force Wes to wager to win while also protecting your position from being usurped by Stel.
Stel: Your only hope of a win is that you're the only one to give a correct response, so bet $11,198 or so, leaving a few bucks behind in case someone wagers it all.

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
"Son of a Witch” & “A Lion Among Men” are sequels to the book that inspired this musical

FINAL SCORES
Stel: $11,200 + $11,200 = $22,400 (What is Wicked?) (2nd place: $2,000)
George: $12,200 - $9,201 = $2,999 (What is The Lion King) (3rd place: $1,000)
Wes: $21,400 + $3,001 = $24,401 (What is Wicked) (3-day champion: $51,196)

Total Potential Lach Trash: $10,000

GAME DYNAMICS

CORYAT SCORES
Wes: $20,000, 22 R (including 2 DDs), 0 W
George: $12,200, 14 R, 1 W
Stel: $9,000, 16 R (including 1 DD), 3 W
Combined Coryat: $41,200

BATTING AVERAGES
Wes: 23/60 = .383
Stel: 17/59 = .288
George: 14/58 = .241
Team: 54/63 = .857

MISCELLANEOUS INTERESTING CLUES
"LITTLE" NURSERY RHYME CHARACTERS $200: This animal laughed when it saw the cow jump over the moon
(George: [*]. Who is [*]?)

MONKEY, SEE? $200: You can see why Macaca fascicularis is also called the this-eating macaque

FIRST NAMES IN THE DICTIONARY $400: Get pumped; it's the structure seen here

MONKEY, SEE? $400: The cuscus of Australasia is called the monkey of this group of pouched mammals

MONKEY, SEE? $600: A South American tamarind is called this top, for the plant fiber it looks like it has on its head

MONKEY, SEE? $1000: The chacma, or Cape, is the largest member of this family of large monkeys

GREEK MYTHOLOGY $1600: As a baby, this handsome youth was put into the care of Persephone, who later had to share custody
(Stel: Who is Hermes?)

OUR NATION'S CAPITAL BEFORE & AFTER $1600: Coffee maker with a plunger that holds briefings for journalists
(Wes: What is the French press room?)
[Originally ruled incorrect; ruled correct before the first Daily Double.]

IT HAPPENED IN 2005 $400: Seen here, she had a low-key 2005 wedding to a real prince of a guy

IT HAPPENED IN 2005 $2000: London's Day of Terror known as 7/7, July 7th of 2005, came just 1 day after a triumph when it was chosen for this honor
(Stel: [*]--what is [*]?)

CORRECT RESPONSES
Noel
the three little kittens
Pope Benedict XVI
ape
Google Earth (or Google Maps)
Zadie Smith
Athena
Speechless
The O.C.
the Denzel Washington Monument
Condoleezza Rice
wadi
Wicked
the little dog
the crab-eating
a derrick
marsupials
cotton
the baboon
Adonis
the French press secretary (or the French press room)
Camilla Parker Bowles
Olympics hosts
Last edited by Archivists on Wed Jan 30, 2019 4:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by theFJguy »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
FROM BOOKS TO BROADWAY

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
“Son of a Witch” & “A Lion Among Men” are sequels to the book that inspired this musical

Wes Hazard: 21400+3001=24401 (3x = $51,196)
George Holcomb: 12200-9201=2999
Stel Plakas: 11200+11200=22400

Correct response:
Spoiler
Wicked (George – The Lion King)

Daily Doubles
Wes: 2800+2000
Stel: 6200+3000
Wes: 17400+2000

Coryats
Wes: 20000
George: 12200
Stel: 9000

Combined: 41,200

Scores at the end of the Jeopardy! Round
Wes: 7800
George: 6600
Stel: 1000
Last edited by theFJguy on Wed Jul 11, 2018 2:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

The clues with reversals:
Spoiler
OUR NATION’S CAPITAL BEFORE & AFTER $1600: Coffee maker with a plunger that holds briefings for journalists

Wes was negged for French press room and George rebounded with the wanted French press secretary.
The response by Wes was later accepted.

Daily Double at IT HAPPENED IN 2005: This web-based mapping service introduced in 2005 gives a satellite view of Paris, Tokyo or your own block

Stel was negged for Google Maps when Alex was looking for Google Earth. The decision was reversed at DD3.
Wes had a chance to put the game away before the FJ! round although I understand that calculating and then risking $11,000 is not going to happen. $2000 is more typical as if Wes missed DD3 and George got the remaining $2000 (Wes ended up getting it) that Wes would still have the lead.

The FJ! category had me write two precalls. Matlida was out when I saw the clue while my other early guess turned out to be right as I could see how the sequels fit it. J! sure likes the work as this is the 4th FJ! clue since 2009 wanting it.

Nice by Wes to put together his best game so far with 3/3 on big clues and much better work on the buzzer without Lauren or Becky around to own the timing.

I tried to find a sample of the credit card ad in Turkey with the character resembling Wes, but struck out. Words like Turkey and Bonus only lead to many things off base.
Wpwells

Post by Wpwells »

Pretty easy final. I've actually come into contact (though not read) both of the books in question.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

My brain is completely fried from work, so I didn't even try to play along at all.

I couldn't process that thing in Monkeys for $200 as a crab at all. How did you figure that out?

Derrick is a name?

I was about to call out the Google Earth DD for "Google Maps" being a huge negbait, but they overturned it so it ended up not mattering.

"Wicked" was my precall off the category. Witch and Lion seemed to fit that, so I had no reason to change.
xxaaaxx

Post by xxaaaxx »

MarkBarrett wrote: Wed Jul 11, 2018 2:28 pm The clues with reversals:
Spoiler
OUR NATION’S CAPITAL BEFORE & AFTER $1600: Coffee maker with a plunger that holds briefings for journalists

Wes was negged for French press room and George rebounded with the wanted French press secretary.
The response by Wes was later accepted.

Daily Double at IT HAPPENED IN 2005: This web-based mapping service introduced in 2005 gives a satellite view of Paris, Tokyo or your own block

Stel was negged for Google Maps when Alex was looking for Google Earth. The decision was reversed at DD3.
I gave the expected response to the first one, but realized immediately that 'room' worked as well, and was mildly annoyed. I gave the same answer as Stel for that DD, and was hopping mad, breathing fire, and muttering "**** you judges I'm counting it" under my breath until the reversal :evil:

Super-instaget FJ. I thought for sure we had a 3/3.
teapot37

Post by teapot37 »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Wed Jul 11, 2018 7:28 pm Derrick is a name?
Perhaps you've seen the alternate spelling of Derek?

Yes, Derrick is a name. Wikipedia's list of prominent people with that name is mostly athletes, so that would presumably be of little help to you. Former NFLer Derrick Thomas, former NBAer Derrick Coleman, and current NBAer Derrick Rose are the foremost examples for me.
Not many people can say they've lost four times on Jeopardy!.
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

another case of tough-sounding category serving up a hanging curve over the middle of the plate for FJ.
Trash pickup: Three Little Kittens, Benedict XVI, Athena, Denzel Washington Monument, Condoleeza Rice
Ironhorse
Second Banana

Post by Ironhorse »

Ugh, I went with The Wiz for FJ. 0/3 this week.

I picked up Black-ish thanks to LL :)
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Ironhorse wrote: Wed Jul 11, 2018 8:45 pm I picked up Black-ish thanks to LL :)
Yep!
Saturnalia
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Saturnalia »

teapot37 wrote: Wed Jul 11, 2018 8:27 pm
Yes, Derrick is a name. Wikipedia's list of prominent people with that name is mostly athletes, so that would presumably be of little help to you. Former NFLer Derrick Thomas, former NBAer Derrick Coleman, and current NBAer Derrick Rose are the foremost examples for me.
Another guy with this name is the St. Louis Cardinals' (excellent) beat writer, Derrick Goold. I saw someone ask him about it in a chat once -- he joked that his parents wanted to make sure at least *one* of his names passed spellcheck.

(Even with that, I did not come up with the response however -- I just wasn't sure what I was looking at in that picture!)
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

econgator wrote: Wed Jul 11, 2018 9:04 pm
Yep!
I don't recall ever bothering to put it in the Current Events thread.

The spin-off of Black-ish is Grown-ish with oldest daughter Zoey Johnson (played by Yara Shahidi) attending college at Cal U. The show airs on Freeform which used to be known as ABC Family.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

Musical was awesome. Book it was based on was...quite the slog.

Took advantage of both reversals.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
bigblue999
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by bigblue999 »

Apparently the writers failed to do their research on Google Earth, which was introduced in 2001. Google Maps was introduced in 2005, thus Stel was right and and the writers were wrong.

FJ! was very easy. I got Wicked in a heartbeat (no pun intended).
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

pre-called wicked
Lefty

Post by Lefty »

Ironhorse wrote: Wed Jul 11, 2018 8:45 pm Ugh, I went with The Wiz for FJ. 0/3 this week.

Is there anything wrong with that answer? I sure don't see it.

Edit: Ok, I guess what's wrong is that "Wicked" is based on Wicked: The Life and Times of the Wicked Witch of the West , and "The Wiz" has nothing to do with that book. Still, I think "inspired by" is weak enough to make "The Wiz" a defensible answer. Unless one takes "the book" quite literally.

I'll have to think some more about this.

P.S. I said "Wicked", assuming the more recent one was the one they had in mind.
I'm smart and I want respect.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

The FJ results make it all moot, but if Stel had gone TDD, not only would he have had second place entering FJ, but also a two-thirds game (albeit in Stratton's Dilemma*).

*I just came up with a term for a Stratton's Dilemma game such as this one would have been with a Stel TDD, in which third place's score is not enough to stand pat at, and therefore the leader will win on a TS if second covers third: "soft crush." Not a true crush because second is above 2/3, but crushlike because of the aforementioned TS win expectation for the leader.

[edit: I realized that this is all predicated on Wes still betting $2,000 on the last DD, even though the scores would have been $17,400 to $14,400 with $2,000 left on the board, and hence less than $1,000 probably would have been the preferable strategy. I still like "soft crush" though.]
MarkBarrett wrote: Wed Jul 11, 2018 10:03 pm
econgator wrote: Wed Jul 11, 2018 9:04 pm
Yep!
I don't recall ever bothering to put it in the Current Events thread.

The spin-off of Black-ish is Grown-ish with oldest daughter Zoey Johnson (played by Yara Shahidi) attending college at Cal U. The show airs on Freeform which used to be known as ABC Family.
...which used to be known as Fox Family, which used to be known as The Family Channel...
Last edited by seaborgium on Thu Jul 12, 2018 5:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
Plactus

Post by Plactus »

Lefty wrote: Thu Jul 12, 2018 1:23 am
Ironhorse wrote: Wed Jul 11, 2018 8:45 pm Ugh, I went with The Wiz for FJ. 0/3 this week.

Is there anything wrong with that answer? I sure don't see it.

Edit: Ok, I guess what's wrong is that "Wicked" is based on Wicked: The Life and Times of the Wicked Witch of the West , and "The Wiz" has nothing to do with that book. Still, I think "inspired by" is weak enough to make "The Wiz" a defensible answer. Unless one takes "the book" quite literally.

I'll have to think some more about this.

P.S. I said "Wicked", assuming the more recent one was the one they had in mind.
The two other titles are sequels to the Wicked novel. "The book" has to refer to it, then, so The Wiz is wrong.
Oh, what has science wrought? I sought only to turn a man into a metal-encased juggernaut of destruction powered by the unknown properties of a mysterious living crystal. How could this have all gone wrong?
rmfromfla

Post by rmfromfla »

...and the Family Channel originally was known as CBN (Christian Broadcasting Network), founded by Pat Robertson, whose 700 Club, even with all the name/ownership changes, still airs today on Freeform, despite all the attempts to remove it.