Wednesday, July 11, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Re: Wednesday, July 11, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

Coryat: 29,600
43 R/4 W
DD: 1/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: Three Little Kittens, Benedict XVI, Denzel Washington Monument, Condoleezza Rice

After two wins on TS FJ!s, Wes took control of this game. I like how smoothly and calmly he plays the game.

NHO "noel" meaning a Christmas song.

I can see how the judges were caught off-guard with press room vs. press secretary, but why didn't they check Google Maps vs. Google Earth immediately? A $6,000 difference in score late in the game is very likely to change a player's approach.
Sprinkles are for winners.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

It was interesting that they called Noel a man's name. The first Noel I thought of was Noel Neill.
earendel
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by earendel »

alietr wrote: Thu Jul 12, 2018 8:54 am It was interesting that they called Noel a man's name. The first Noel I thought of was Noel Neill.
I thought of Noel Coward.
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I got spoiled when the J Facebook page popped up in my newsfeed with the musical name. But I think I would have gotten it so I will check the box Saturday.

I guess Wes didn’t go on any agricultural tours while in Turkey.

Another Blackish get from LL here.

Good win for Wes where he didn’t have to do any savvy wagering in FJ.
teapot37

Post by teapot37 »

alietr wrote: Thu Jul 12, 2018 8:54 am It was interesting that they called Noel a man's name. The first Noel I thought of was Noel Neill.
I usually see the man's name as "Noel" (pronounced like 'knoll' or 'NO-ull') and the woman's name as "Noël" or "Noelle" (pronounced no-ELL), so I would be more inclined to say noël was "also a woman's name" rather than a man's.

Noël Coward used the dieresis and Noel Neill didn't, though, so there is some crossover.
Not many people can say they've lost four times on Jeopardy!.
davey

Post by davey »

Coincidence or PR at work?
Press release just out...

WICKED TO BECOME 6TH LONGEST-RUNNING SHOW IN BROADWAY HISTORY
MUSICAL SURPASSES A CHORUS LINE TONIGHT, THURSDAY, JULY 12th
WITH 6,138th PERFORMANCE

https://www.broadwayworld.com/article/W ... t-20180712
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

BigDaddyMatty wrote: Thu Jul 12, 2018 4:39 am

As in "The First Noel," which is heard in every church and every shopping mall every Christmas.
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

Overall "Meh" game for me. Just missed $25K Coryat, LT on Three Little Kittens, Pope Benedict XVI, Denzel Washington Monument, wadi; lucky guess on FJ as I know almost nothing about Wicked.

Aaaannnnnddddd...Wes is not exactly a powerhouse but he is doing enough to win. Better than most, and definitely more stylish.
Saturnalia
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Saturnalia »

I could have sat for 5 minutes without coming up with Noel, in all likelihood. If I'd been under the lights, I would have said "Hymn"(/Him). Which is not a man's name in the sense that would be acceptable to the judges.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

I actually know a guy named Noel, so I got the DD just fine.
Elijah Baley

Post by Elijah Baley »

John Boy wrote: Thu Jul 12, 2018 11:27 am

As in "The First Noel," which is heard in every church and every shopping mall every Christmas.
Have to admit that I've always just assumed noel in that context was just the first Christmas greeting. Finding out that it is the same thing as a carol was news to me, too, and I don't think this is a minority position. I figured that it must be what they were looking for (hymn was definitely the first thing that came to mind) but it was a WAG.
Woppy T

Post by Woppy T »

BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

I'm familiar with that carol noel, but Noel is capitalized in the lyrics, suggesting that the song's title refers to "the first Christmas" rather than "the first Christmas song."
Sprinkles are for winners.
davey

Post by davey »

BigDaddyMatty wrote: Thu Jul 12, 2018 2:51 pm

I'm familiar with that carol noel, but Noel is capitalized in the lyrics, suggesting that the song's title refers to "the first Christmas" rather than "the first Christmas song."
I would have said the same thing - in fact I did, but deleted it, because when you consider the lyric The first Noel the angels did say was to certain poor shepherds...It's pretty clear that the reference is to Luke 2:13-14.
You can consider the angels did say as a dependent clause. It's not The first Christmas, the angels have told us, was announced to... but The first carol the angels sang was to...
Not something that I ever understood in a lifetime of singing the song, but I think it's right. But of course it also means the angels were proclaiming the first Christmas.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

davey wrote: Thu Jul 12, 2018 3:10 pm
BigDaddyMatty wrote: Thu Jul 12, 2018 2:51 pm

I would have said the same thing - in fact I did, but deleted it, because when you consider the lyric The first Noel the angels did say was to certain poor shepherds...It's pretty clear that the reference is to Luke 2:13-14.
You can consider the angels did say as a dependent clause. It's not The first Christmas, the angels have told us, was announced to... but The first carol the angels sang was to...
Not something that I ever understood in a lifetime of singing the song, but I think it's right. But of course it also means the angels were proclaiming the first Christmas.

Oh, just like how I never realized "Trampling out the vintage where the grapes of wrath are stored" had anything to do with wine because I encouter the word "vintage" in so many other contexts that the "vin-" prefix didn't even register.
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

45 R
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: Three Little Kittens, Benedict XVI, Ape, Athena, Denzel Washington Monument, (*Google Earth*), Condolezza Rice, Wadi
Douglas Squasoni
mxc_takeshi

Post by mxc_takeshi »

31 right.

Monkey, See? (0), Person in Two Words (3), Classic Movie: The Video Game (3), Business & Industry (3), First Names (2), "Little" Nursery Rhyme (1)
It Happened in 2005 (5), TV Shows by Family (3), Greek Mythology (2), Nation's Capital Before & After (4), Black Women Authors (3), Lexicon (2)

Lach Trash: Pope Benedict XVI, Athena, The O.C., Denzel Washington Monument, Condoleezza Rice; Daily Double: Google Earth

I didn't know the songs beforehand, but I assumed Wicked from "Son of a Witch".