Thursday, July 12, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Thursday, July 12, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

Game Recap for Show #7804, 2018-07-12

CONTESTANTS
Johanna Schaufeld, a piano technician and woodworker from the Bronx, New York
Michelle Cabral, an elementary school music teacher from Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Wes Hazard, a standup comic and storyteller from Stoughton, Massachusetts (whose 3-day cash winnings total $51,196)

OPENING REMARKS
Alex: Thank you, Johnny Gilbert. Thank you, ladies and gentlemen. Good to have you with us once again. If you were watching yesterday, you saw Wes almost earn twice as much money as he had picked up on the previous two shows. Michelle and Johanna, we are delighted to have you with us today. Yeah, that's it. Pick up the signaling devices, because here we go into the Jeopardy! Round. Hopefully, you get to use them often. Here are the categories...

JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
THE MONTH OF JULY (4/4)
AD COUNCIL CLASSICS (4/5, including 1 missed Daily Double)
YOU'RE SHOWING YOUR AGE (4/5)
10-LETTER "M" WORDS (4/5)
CHECK IN TO THE POP CULTURE HOTEL (4/5)
SLAYER (4/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Wes: 10 R, 0 W
Michelle: 8 R, 2 W (including 1 DD)
Johanna: 6 R (including 1 rebound), 1 W

Clues revealed: 29
Triple Stumpers: 4
Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $2,600

JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Michelle found the Daily Double on the 9th clue. Wes had $1,200, Michelle had $1,400, and Johanna had a deficit with -$400. Michelle wagered $200.

AD COUNCIL CLASSICS $800: A 1983 campaign introduced the phrase "Friends don't let friends" do this
(Michelle: What is do drugs?)

SCORES AT THE FIRST BREAK
Wes: $3,000
Michelle: $1,800
Johanna: $200

CONTESTANT INTERVIEWS

Alex: Johanna Schaufeld is from the Bronx in New York. She is a piano technician, a woodworker, but someone who has a different ambition.

Johanna: Yes.

Alex: You and I share something in common here. Tell us.

Johanna: Yes, I'm an avid crossword completionist, and I have a dream of being in the New York Times crossword one day, as a writer of the crossword.

Alex: As a writer.

Johanna: Yes.

Alex: Okay, good for you.

Alex: Michelle Cabral from Toronto, Ontario, Canada. you have become the official family Star Wars guru in your family.

Michelle: So my six-year-old niece, goddaughter--hi, Peanut. That's not her real name. She just watched the original trilogy for the first time, and I've been given the job by her parents to sort of guide her through it and help her through the scary parts and when to shut her eyes and remembering all the characters. And it's amazing how much she's learned about the universe. Even things from movies that she hasn't seen yet. There are characters that I'm like, "How do you know who that person is?" So she's totally fallen in love with it. And it's something that we share now, so.

Alex: Good. And there are only, what? Four or five more Star Wars?

Michelle: We're working on them. Waiting to introduce them gradually 'til she gets older.

Alex: Okay.

Alex: Wes Hazard is our champion, ladies and gentlemen. He is a standup comic, and your first time on stage had something to do with Dave Chappelle, and absolutely nothing to do with Dave Chappelle.

Wes: That is correct. I've been a lifelong standup comedy fan, but I went to college having no idea that I'd ever want to do it. Opening weekend, freshman orientation, they had Dave Chappelle come and headline a show. This was a year before his big show, so no one knew who he was on campus. I'm telling everybody, "You gotta go. You gotta go." We went, and the host for that night was a local Boston comic, who then came on later, about two weeks later, to do another event where it was an open mic. And I--no intention--just got up there. So everything and nothing to do with it.

Alex: All right. Everything worked for you very nicely, I see.

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
10-LETTER "M" WORDS $1000: Medically speaking it's another term for a TIA, or transient ischemic attack
(Johanna: What's a myocardial--myocardial infarction?)

SLAYER $400: Of the movies' Marion Crane
(Alex: That would be in the film Psycho. [*].)

CHECK IN TO THE POP CULTURE HOTEL $800: In "Hotel Transylvania 3: Summer Vacation", Dracula, voiced by this comic actor, takes his own vacation
(Alex: And that actor doing the voicing is [*], and that movie opens tomorrow, Friday the 13th.)

YOU'RE SHOWING YOUR AGE $400: This war of legend is considered the end of the Greek Heroic Age

SCORES AT THE END OF THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
Wes: $4,800
Michelle: $4,000
Johanna: $3,000
Last edited by Archivists on Wed Jan 30, 2019 4:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Thursday, July 12, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
FLIP THAT HOUSE! (5/5)
MATH & SCIENCE (3/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
AULD BRITISH SLANG (3/5)
COLORFUL PLACES (4/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
ALEXANDER GRAHAM BELL (3/5)
"TEN"TERTAINMENT (4/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Michelle: 9 R, 0 W
Johanna: 7 R (including 2 DDs), 1 W
Wes: 6 R, 2 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 8
Double Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $11,600

FIRST DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Johanna snagged the next Daily Double on the 4th clue. Wes had $4,800, Michelle had $4,000, and Johanna was at $3,800. Johanna made it a True Daily Double, wagering $3,800.

MATH & SCIENCE $2000: The name of this long-vanished supercontinent is from Greek for "all" & "Earth"

SECOND DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
It was Johanna who snatched up the last Daily Double of the game on the 26th clue. Wes had $6,000, Michelle had $13,600, and Johanna was at $10,400. Johanna wagered $4,000.

COLORFUL PLACES $2000: An HBO film & a Broadway musical both bear the name of this Long Island estate owned by Jackie Kennedy's aunt

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND
MATH & SCIENCE $1200: This word before "star" refers to changes in shine; Algol's apparent magnitude goes from 2.1 to 3.4 every few days

MATH & SCIENCE $1600: The equation y2=2px describes this conic section, the shape of the arch in some bridges

"TEN"TERTAINMENT $1600: This song by General Public is featured in the movies "Clueless" & "Weird Science"

ALEXANDER GRAHAM BELL $1600: Bell co-invented what's said to be the first of these devices, testing it on Civil War vets with bullets still in their bodies
(Wes: What is a stethoscope?)
(Johanna: What is... sorry.)

ALEXANDER GRAHAM BELL $2000: In 1903 Bell sailed for Europe & brought back to Washington the body of this man for burial in his institution
(Alex: And that man's name was [*]. The Smithsonian.)

COLORFUL PLACES $800: This strait connects San Francisco Bay to the Pacific

AULD BRITISH SLANG $800: Put a feather in your cap & name this club of fashionable gentlemen, whose name became slang for fops & dandies
(Wes: What's the Lavender Club?)
(Alex: Less than a minute now.)

AULD BRITISH SLANG $2000: A whooper-up was an inferior, hard-on-the-ears one of these

SCORES ENTERING FINAL JEOPARDY!
Michelle: $15,200
Johanna: $14,400
Wes: $6,400

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
1970s BESTSELLERS

VENUSIAN MONOLOGUES/MARTIAN CHRONICLES
Four-fifths for first place. Shore's Conjecture.
Michelle: Wager $13,601 to cover Johanna. If you feel like using Shoretegy, try wagering $801.
Johanna: Try wagering $1,599, which is as much as you can put up against Michelle without being usurped by a doubled score on the part of Wes.
Wes: There's no way you can cover a rational wager by Johanna, but if Johanna decides for some reason to wager everything, you can eke out a win on a Triple Stumper if you wager no more than $4,800.

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
The author of this novel thought of calling it "Silence in the Water"

FINAL SCORES
Wes: $6,400 + $6,399 = $12,799 (What is Jaws) (2nd place: $2,000)
Johanna: $14,400 - $14,000 = $400 (What is The Hunt for Red Octob) (3rd place: $1,000)
Michelle: $15,200 + $3,200 = $18,400 (What is Jaws?) (New champion: $18,400)
(Alex: The author's father was a famous funnyman, and his suggested title for this novel was What's That Noshing on My Leg?.)
(Alex: [To Wes] Written by Peter Benchley.)

Total Potential Lach Trash: $14,200

GAME DYNAMICS

CORYAT SCORES
Michelle: $15,400, 17 R, 2 W (including 1 DD)
Johanna: $10,600, 13 R (including 2 DDs), 2 W
Wes: $6,400, 16 R, 2 W
Combined Coryat: $32,400

BATTING AVERAGES
Michelle: 18/59 = .305
Wes: 17/58 = .293
Johanna: 13/60 = .217
Team: 48/63 = .762

MISCELLANEOUS INTERESTING CLUES
10-LETTER "M" WORDS $800: Hark back to yesteryear to this old office machine being used here

SLAYER $600: Of Albus Dumbledore
(Michelle: Who is Slytherin?)

YOU'RE SHOWING YOUR AGE $600: Jacobus, the Latin name for this British king, gave us the Jacobean Age of the 17th century
(Alex: And we have less than a minute now.)

THE MONTH OF JULY $800: In July 1939 this man gave a farewell speech at Yankee Stadium
[The end-of-round signal sounds.]

COLORFUL PLACES $1200: The memorial seen here in West Bengal honors prisoners who suffered in this infamous site in 1756

CORRECT RESPONSES
drive drunk
a ministroke
Norman Bates
Adam Sandler
the Trojan War
Pangaea
Grey Gardens
variable
a parabola
"Tenderness"
a metal detector
James Smithson
the Golden Gate
the Macaroni Club
a singer
Jaws
a mimeograph
(Severus) Snape
King James I
Lou Gehrig
the Black Hole of Calcutta
Last edited by Archivists on Wed Jan 30, 2019 4:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by theFJguy »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
1970s BESTSELLERS

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
The author of this novel thought of calling it “Silence in the Water”

Wes Hazard: 6400+6399=12799
Michelle Cabral: 15200+3200=18400 (New Champ)
Johanna Schaufeld: 14400-14000=400

Correct response:
Spoiler
Jaws (Johanna – The Hunt for Red Octob)

Daily Doubles
Michelle: 1400-200
Johanna: 3800+3800
Johanna: 10400+4000

Coryats
Wes: 6400
Michelle: 15400
Johanna: 10600

Combined: 32,400

Scores at the end of the Jeopardy! Round
Wes: 4800
Michelle: 4000
Johanna: 3000
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

The writers love to ask for the Christie work "And Then There Were None" with this time specifying as known in the U.S. and having it in the "TEN"TERTAINMENT category.

Johanna added +$7800 on DDs and still trailed for the FJ! round. Turned out not to matter since she had the only miss on the FJ! clue.

For the FJ! category my first thought was books turned into movies, so I hit upon the correct response with my second instinct after the famous Blatty work was my first one. When I started getting into TV miniseries I stopped the precall game.

Johanna had a chance to make Michelle pay for her wager. Wes played four games and his best one was against two gentlemen. He must not have made the right lunch choice as it seemed he ordered the outchange special.
Wpwells

Post by Wpwells »

Ugh ugh ugh. I thought it was too late for this, but I went with Silent Spring. Ugh ugh ugh.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Wpwells wrote: Thu Jul 12, 2018 11:54 am Ugh ugh ugh. I thought it was too late for this, but I went with Silent Spring. Ugh ugh ugh.
Ouch on not even guessing a novel as the clue specified, or a work to fit the category's decade. That seems more like something I would do than you with your prior successes on so many FJ! clues.

J! has used the first line of the correct work at least four times
Spoiler
#5140, aired 2007-01-05 LITERARY OPENINGS $400: "The great fish moved silently through the night water..."
#4120, aired 2002-06-28 LITERARY FIRST LINES $400: 1974: "The great fish moved silently through the night water, propelled by short sweeps of its crescent tail"
#3276, aired 1998-11-30 LITERARY FIRST LINES $400: "The great fish moved silently through the night water, propelled by short sweeps of its crescent tail"
#664, aired 1987-06-25 FIRST LINES $400 (Daily Double): "The great fish moved silently through the night water..."
Elijah Baley

Post by Elijah Baley »

MarkBarrett wrote: Thu Jul 12, 2018 12:10 pm
Wpwells wrote: Thu Jul 12, 2018 11:54 am Ugh ugh ugh. I thought it was too late for this, but I went with Silent Spring. Ugh ugh ugh.
Ouch on not even guessing a novel as the clue specified, or a work to fit the category's decade. That seems more like something I would do than you with your prior successes on so many FJ! clues.

J! has used the first line of the correct work at least four times
Spoiler
#5140, aired 2007-01-05 LITERARY OPENINGS $400: "The great fish moved silently through the night water..."
#4120, aired 2002-06-28 LITERARY FIRST LINES $400: 1974: "The great fish moved silently through the night water, propelled by short sweeps of its crescent tail"
#3276, aired 1998-11-30 LITERARY FIRST LINES $400: "The great fish moved silently through the night water, propelled by short sweeps of its crescent tail"
#664, aired 1987-06-25 FIRST LINES $400 (Daily Double): "The great fish moved silently through the night water..."
Wow, that is a lot of references to the first line of a book that was certainly popular but not exactly great literature. But, I guess it gives a pretty specific reference so that's why it keeps coming up?

And those wagers were interesting.
Bob78164
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Bob78164 »

This game is a draw for the Strong Form of Shore's Conjecture. The second-place player bet "big." --Bob
xxaaaxx

Post by xxaaaxx »

Not quite instaget, but 1970's novel + water narrowed it down and the lightbulb went off pretty quickly. I don't remember any of the clues Mark posted, but that first line would've made it even easier.

Those wagers...woof. Not sure why I bothered calculating their optimal wagers, when I was pretty sure they'd just bet it all or close to it. Didn't see Michelle's wager coming though. If she hated the category, why bet anything, let alone enough to fall behind a double up by Wes (who shouldn't have doubled up but still)!?

Pangaea, a DD, in the 2000 box!?!? Writers getting started on their vacation a bit early.
Leander

Post by Leander »

My hearing may be going, but I would swear Johanna left off “ what is” in her answer to the Newton question. I also thought she missed it on her Bell answer, but she might have muttered it under her breath.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Wes did not win enough money and not even KJ won enough for the dream of what to do with the money won on J!:
Spoiler
9021amyers

Post by 9021amyers »

Surely, Deliverance isn’t the worst guess to make for today’s Final.
NoWhammies10
Relaxing In The Hot Tub

Post by NoWhammies10 »

Forgot "Jaws" was a book first. Picked "Roots" instead.

Nice to see another Canadian winner up there. Still waiting for The Call here!
StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Post by StevenH »

This board was not kind to me at all, though I did have the same reaction as xxaaaxx to the Pangea DD.

In Johanna's position on the last DD I would have gone big...and been burned badly. Grey Gardens does not ring a bell.

FJ was an instant get, though I have to say that I was feeling so good about my precall of Roots.
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

Heh, I precalled Love Story for FJ. Easy enough to get Jaws. Hunt for Red October came out too late.
Plenty of trash today: drive drunk DD, Trojan, variable, parabola, metal detector, Golden Gate, macaroni
Category 13
Wagering Viking

Post by Category 13 »

xxaaaxx wrote: Those wagers...woof. Not sure why I bothered calculating their optimal wagers, when I was pretty sure they'd just bet it all or close to it. Didn't see Michelle's wager coming though. If she hated the category, why bet anything, let alone enough to fall behind a double up by Wes (who shouldn't have doubled up but still)!?
If she suspected Johanna was a wagering guru, an $800 bet would have been the best non-cover wager for Michelle.
Ironhorse
Second Banana

Post by Ironhorse »

Box of shame avoided. Surprised that wasn't a triple get.
Category 13
Wagering Viking

Post by Category 13 »

Leander wrote: My hearing may be going, but I would swear Johanna left off “ what is” in her answer to the Newton question. I also thought she missed it on her Bell answer, but she might have muttered it under her breath.
I had my head turned so I didn't see the screen but it certainly sounded like a no phrasing violation to me. If anything, she said it very softly underneath Alex calling her name. The gap between that and her response was very quick.
Golf

Post by Golf »

xxaaaxx wrote: Those wagers...woof. Not sure why I bothered calculating their optimal wagers, when I was pretty sure they'd just bet it all or close to it. Didn't see Michelle's wager coming though. If she hated the category, why bet anything, let alone enough to fall behind a double up by Wes (who shouldn't have doubled up but still)!?
Category 13 wrote: Thu Jul 12, 2018 8:44 pm If she suspected Johanna was a wagering guru, an $800 bet would have been the best non-cover wager for Michelle.
I think the nicest way I can put this is that none of them were wagering gurus.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Leander wrote: Thu Jul 12, 2018 7:45 pm My hearing may be going, but I would swear Johanna left off “ what is” in her answer to the Newton question. I also thought she missed it on her Bell answer, but she might have muttered it under her breath.
It was left off.