Friday, July 13, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

twelvefootboy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Friday, July 13, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by twelvefootboy »

What was that? Why are there "reality" shows on TV when better stuff like this happens on a game show? Two of the weirdest and entertaining moments of the season. :lol: :lol:

Michele's comic timing was indeed epic with her quip about she thought she would be the bleepee.

I kind of hope Vincent shows up here or somewhere to explain his unfortunate gaffe on the FJ. But he doesn't need to expose himself to trolls and haters. If he hadn't had the right answer to start with, a guess of Carl Sagan seems Tourette-like (apologies to genuine sufferers). There was a lot of extra junk in the clue, none of which was helpful.

Looking forward to Michelle's next game.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

All but The Natural in the Book category. Not bad for me.

Lach Trash on "Pagoda" to run the "P" category.

Can't say I've heard of a "minaret" before.

The accidental 4-letter word was amusing.

Got the correct response to FJ! before Alex was even done reading it. How the hell did he misread the clue and guess Carl Sagan?!
mxc_takeshi

Post by mxc_takeshi »

38 right.

First Lines From Novels (5), Out in Left Field (4), Human Body (2), Crossword Clues "P" (4), A Streetcar (3), Name Desired (4)
My Autobiography That I Wrote (4), Shady Characters (4), Irish Characters (3), Social Network (2), World Heritage in Danger (3), Parting Words (0)

Lach Trash: Tucson, pagoda, International Space Station, Miami Marlins, crew, O'Connell Street

Instaget FJ.
AndyTheQuizzer
Lots and Lots of Interviews

Post by AndyTheQuizzer »

CasketRomance wrote: Fri Jul 13, 2018 9:49 pm horrible wager by 2nd place and lucks out because the contestant in the lead misread the clue
This is a complete non sequitur.

Holding everything else constant, she won because the contestant in the lead misread the clue, irregardless of what number she put down on the screen during the break.
Andy Saunders
J! Archive Founding Archivist
Publisher - The Jeopardy! Fan
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

Elijah Baley wrote: Fri Jul 13, 2018 2:00 pm
MarkBarrett wrote: Fri Jul 13, 2018 1:25 pm Vincent could have won by avoiding the cross-out. He said, “I misread the question.” That is a wild misinterpretation of the clue’s wording to go that way after already having the correct response written.
I'm curious how he read the clue - as you point out, since he got the correct response initially - as Carl Sagan seems to have as much connection with the words in the sentence of the clue as any other person or thing around in the 70s - macrame, pop rocks, the Jackson 5, etc. Hopefully, he's ok with some good natured ribbing about his oops moment as it could happen to anyone.
I know Sagan was a time-appropriate response. I just wonder what kind of circuitous, free-association, synapse-bending mental path he took to get from Tree-Hugger to Carl.

I also wonder what's going on with the wagering(!?*?) Vincent bet correctly to guard against an all-in bet from the champ. Michelle (AGAIN) bet too small and did not bet to guard against an all-in bet by Bryan. Bryan, meantime, could have bet up to $7,000 and still won on a TS. If he had, gone as much as $7K he would have had a nice win. Instead, uh, $0. Seriously, what's up?!

And yeah, I wondered about the "bleep." I don't recall ever hearing that on this show before. I thought if anyone did that, it would simply be edited out. Wrong again, I guess.
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

BigDaddyMatty wrote: Fri Jul 13, 2018 5:19 pm
"Magnificent desolation" a memorable Buzz Aldrin quote on the moon? Apparently not.
I remembered it well. Great line.
'
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I remember the book being used as a clue and we had to say which moonwalker wrote it.
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

47 R
DD: 2/3 (Synapses, Orange)
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: Tucson, Pagoda, Platte, International Space Station, Barrier Reef, Associates, O'Connell
Douglas Squasoni
AndyTheQuizzer

Post by AndyTheQuizzer »

So, Vincent is going to be invited back: http://www.chicagotribune.com/entertain ... story.html
Andy Saunders
xxaaaxx

Post by xxaaaxx »

OntarioQuizzer wrote: Mon Jul 16, 2018 4:40 pm So, Vincent is going to be invited back: http://www.chicagotribune.com/entertain ... story.html
...Valenzuela also wrote “tree hugger” down, but then crossed it out and wrote scientist “Carl Sagan.” He said the clue that was posted on the screen for the contestants read: “His slang term...”

“That completely changes it when you re-read it. It sounds like they’re looking for a person’s name and so I just grabbed a person who was big in the environment and who would have been a contemporary in the ‘70s, and so I came up with Carl Sagan,” Valenzuela said. “It was very devastating, but they realized that a mistake had been made.”...
Interesting. Where do the contestants read the FJ clue from? At least that explains his otherwise inexplicable answer.
Last edited by xxaaaxx on Mon Jul 16, 2018 4:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AndyTheQuizzer

Post by AndyTheQuizzer »

xxaaaxx wrote: Mon Jul 16, 2018 4:49 pm Where do the contestants read the FJ clue from?
Across the studio. You see it when the camera zooms in at the start of the music.
Andy Saunders
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

OntarioQuizzer wrote: Mon Jul 16, 2018 4:53 pm
xxaaaxx wrote: Mon Jul 16, 2018 4:49 pm Where do the contestants read the FJ clue from?
Across the studio. You see it when the camera zooms in at the start of the music.
I believe it's the TV in the last photo here? At least to give an idea of size and positioning.
https://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/20 ... phil-wayne
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
AndyTheQuizzer

Post by AndyTheQuizzer »

Volante wrote: Mon Jul 16, 2018 6:34 pm I believe it's the TV in the last photo here? At least to give an idea of size and positioning.
No.

Watch the game tonight closely during Final Jeopardy. There's a jib that starts on a long shot of the set that zooms in towards the contestants in the first half of Final Jeopardy!; on the left of that shot, you can see a category and a clue. That's what the contestants see.
Andy Saunders
AFRET CMS
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by AFRET CMS »

Volante wrote: Mon Jul 16, 2018 6:34 pm
OntarioQuizzer wrote: Mon Jul 16, 2018 4:53 pm
I believe it's the TV in the last photo here? At least to give an idea of size and positioning.
The FJ clue is displayed near the center of the main game board, in two of the normal clue boxes with the rest of the board blank. The category is displayed in one clue box, and the FJ clue is immediately beneath it.
I'm not the defending Jeopardy! champion. But I have played one on TV.
Pendleton71
Contributor

Post by Pendleton71 »

Apparently he misread it as "his" slang term, and he'll be getting another shot as well:

http://www.chicagotribune.com/entertain ... story.html
mfc248

Post by mfc248 »

Here's the wide shot of the stage during Final Jeopardy! that Andy is talking about:

Just before I left work today, I got a message from Andy requesting a closer shot of the clue. I was wondering why the various recordings of the episode on Reddit were insufficient, so I asked him, and he replied that there was debate over whether the players were shown "this" or "his" as the first word. As soon as I got home, I sent this to him:

He asked me what I thought about the first word. At first glance, it looked like "his," but I was wary of stating that publicly, or even to him; it didn't seem to be indisputable evidence. I know that each game goes through a rigorous process, and felt it right to give the judges the benefit of any doubt. Then it occurred to me that "this" is an extremely common word in Jeopardy! clues; wouldn't be hard to find a clue for comparison. Here's Thursday's clue:

That made me feel even more so that it was "his." I ran the Friday clue back, frame-by-frame, the scrutiny approaching that applied to the Zapruder film... until Andy messaged me "well, it's a moot point now" along with the Chicago Tribune article.

(The images in this post are all shrunk so they don't consume your entire screen; clicking on them links through to the full-resolution versions.)
Stanislaus Jacob

Post by Stanislaus Jacob »

OntarioQuizzer wrote: Mon Jul 16, 2018 6:48 pm
Volante wrote: Mon Jul 16, 2018 6:34 pm I believe it's the TV in the last photo here? At least to give an idea of size and positioning.
No.

Watch the game tonight closely during Final Jeopardy. There's a jib that starts on a long shot of the set that zooms in towards the contestants in the first half of Final Jeopardy!; on the left of that shot, you can see a category and a clue. That's what the contestants see.
In the past Alex would actually stand there and reveal the clue from that position. At some point that was changed. Unless my memory is really off, it was long before his recent fall, but it may have been connected with his other health problems (remember when he injured himself chasing a burglar?) or just the general lesser mobility that comes with older age.
Last edited by Stanislaus Jacob on Mon Jul 16, 2018 9:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

OntarioQuizzer wrote: Mon Jul 16, 2018 6:48 pm
No.

Am I thinking of the video clue box or something then? I could've sworn that big TV did something for the contestants...
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Not that I have a problem with it, but does it seem like they're bringing back more contestants than usual lately? There's been what, three confirmed bring-backs within the past couple months?
whammypower788
Just Starting Out on JBoard

Post by whammypower788 »

Here's some raw screen captures:

I definitely do not see a "T" as the first letter of the clue.