Friday, July 13, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Friday, July 13, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

Game Recap for Show #7805, 2018-07-13

The Final Jeopardy! screen displays the clue incorrectly in the studio, disadvantaging a challenger and resulting in him being invited back later in the year.

CONTESTANTS
Bryan Rucker, a writer from Los Angeles, California
Vincent Valenzuela, an internal customer service manager from Wheaton, Illinois
Michelle Cabral, an elementary school music teacher from Toronto, Ontario, Canada (whose 1-day cash winnings total $18,400)

OPENING REMARKS
Alex: Thank you, Johnny. Thank you, ladies and gentlemen. I always get a warm feeling at the end of the game when I look over, as I did yesterday and saw the look of surprise on Michelle's face as she realized, "Holy smokes, I just won this game." It's a wonderful feeling. Vincent and Bryan, maybe you'll enjoy that feeling today as well. Here we go into the Jeopardy! Round. All right, let's take a look at the categories, starting off with...

JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
FIRST LINES FROM NOVELS (5/5)
OUT IN LEFT FIELD (4/5)
THE HUMAN BODY (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
CROSSWORD CLUES "P" (4/5)
A STREETCAR (3/5)
NAME DESIRED (4/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Bryan: 11 R (including 2 rebounds and 1 DD), 2 W
Michelle: 8 R, 1 W
Vincent: 6 R (including 1 rebound), 2 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 5
Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $4,000

JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Bryan found the Daily Double on the 12th clue. Michelle had $1,200, Vincent had $1,400, and Bryan was at $1,000. Bryan made it a True Daily Double, wagering $1,000.

THE HUMAN BODY $600: It's the junction between neurons; let's hope yours are firing now

SCORES AT THE FIRST BREAK
Vincent: $2,200
Bryan: $2,000
Michelle: $1,400

CONTESTANT INTERVIEWS

Alex: Bryan Rucker is a writer from Los Angeles who co-hosts a podcast--

Bryan: I do.

Alex: With a very narrow scope.

Bryan: It's extremely narrow. It is a podcast about Gwyneth Paltrow's wellness newsletter called GOOP. So the newsletter comes out twice a week, and we have a podcast once a week. And there's just, like, endless material to make fun of.

Alex: Okay.

Alex: Vincent Valenzuela is from Wheaton, Illinois. Your grandfather is considered a hero in the Philippines. Am I right?

Vincent: Yes, my grandfather is Dr. Pío Valenzuela. He was imprisoned by the Spanish in the 19th century--I was born really late--for writing propaganda against the Spanish, basically. And in the '70s he ended up being commemorated on a stamp.

Alex: On a stamp, hey.

Vincent: Yeah.

Alex: That's good news. Way to go.

Alex: Michelle Cabral from Toronto, Ontario, Canada. You teach some of your students to play the ukulele. I was given a ukulele not too long ago. Is it tough to learn?

Michelle: You know what, it's--once you get the positioning of where the strings are and you remember the order, and you can memorize some basic chord shapes, so just where your fingers go on the fretboard, it's not too hard. And it's just sort of going from there, and you learn to read tablature. And right now my kids are just learning where all the open strings are and how to just incorporate that with reading music, so we're very slowgoing. We just started a couple months ago.

Alex: Let me see if I understood you correctly. It's going to be really tough for me, yeah.

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
A STREETCAR $400: The Sun Link streetcars that take you to the U. of Arizona in this city are among the first U.S.-made ones in 60 years
(Michelle: What is Phoenix?)

CROSSWORD CLUES "P" $1000: Eastern tiered tower
(6)
(Bryan: What is pillar?)

A STREETCAR $1000: A vintage trolley in Denver travels a short distance along this river to Mile High Stadium

NAME DESIRED $600: After a NASA naming contest, the COLBERT, named for late night host Stephen, was a treadmill usable aboard this

OUT IN LEFT FIELD $1000: Some weren't happy CEO Derek Jeter & this team traded young left fielder Marcell Ozuna after his great 2017 season

SCORES AT THE END OF THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
Bryan: $4,600
Michelle: $3,400
Vincent: $2,400
Last edited by Archivists on Wed Jan 30, 2019 4:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Friday, July 13, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
MY AUTOBIOGRAPHY THAT I WROTE (4/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
SHADY CHARACTERS (5/5)
IRISH HISTORY (4/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
THE SOCIAL NETWORK (3/5)
WORLD HERITAGE IN DANGER (4/5) (Alex: Then, from the official UNESCO list of 54 endangered World Heritage sites...)
PARTING WORDS (5/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Michelle: 10 R (including 1 rebound and 1 DD), 0 W
Vincent: 10 R (including 1 DD), 2 W
Bryan: 5 R, 0 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 5
Double Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $7,200

FIRST DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Michelle snagged the next Daily Double on the 13th clue. Michelle had $8,600, Vincent had $2,400, and Bryan was at $8,200. Michelle wagered $1,200.

MY AUTOBIOGRAPHY THAT I WROTE $1600: His "Gifted Hands" pointed him toward neurosurgery; later, he entered politics

SECOND DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
It was Vincent who snatched up the last Daily Double of the game on the 28th clue. Michelle had $14,200, Vincent had $6,800, and Bryan was at $11,800. Vincent made it a True Daily Double, wagering $6,800.

IRISH HISTORY $1200: The Protestant society called this color "Order" is named for the king who defeated Catholic James II in Ireland in 1690

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND
WORLD HERITAGE IN DANGER $1600: The BBRRS, the "Belize" this "Reserve System", is threatened by oil & gas exploration & overfishing

MY AUTOBIOGRAPHY THAT I WROTE $2000: Vol. 2 of Buzz Aldrin's look back is "Magnificent" this synonym for barrenness, a memorable Buzz quote on the moon

THE SOCIAL NETWORK $400: Ship captains rely on this group; for Mardi Gras, it's spelled with a "K" at the start & an extra "E" at the end

THE SOCIAL NETWORK $1200: To law enforcement, KA's are known these, potential accomplices the suspected bad guys hang out with
(Vincent: What are known? Oh, what are known [bleep].)
(Alex: What are [*]? The other 4-letter word was not acceptable. Michelle, back to you.)
(Michelle: I thought it was gonna be me.)

IRISH HISTORY $2000: Dublin's main thoroughfare commemorates this last name of 19th century Irish nationalist Daniel

SCORES ENTERING FINAL JEOPARDY!
Vincent: $15,200
Michelle: $14,200
Bryan: $11,800

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
MODERN LANGUAGE

VENUSIAN MONOLOGUES/MARTIAN CHRONICLES
Four-fifths for first place.
Vincent: Wager $13,201 to cover Michelle.
Michelle: You're faced with a legitimate choice in strategy. You can either choose to cover Bryan, hoping that you give the correct response and Vincent doesn't, in which case you'll want to wager $9,401 to cover Bryan's doubled score, but no more than $12,200 if you want to top Vincent on a Triple Stumper; or bet up to $2,399 and win if both Vincent and Bryan miss Final.
Bryan: You ought to try wagering between $2,401 and $7,000. This will top a $0 wager by Michelle while still beating Vincent and Michelle on the Triple Stumper (should Vincent wager to cover Michelle's doubled score and Michelle wager to cover your doubled score).

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
This slang term for an environmentalist is literally true of groups that used passive resistance vs. deforestation, as in India in 1973

FINAL SCORES
Bryan: $11,800 + $0 = $11,800 (What is a tree hugger?) (2nd place: $2,000)
Michelle: $14,200 + $4,000 = $18,200 (What is a tree hugger?) (2-day champion: $36,600)
Vincent: $15,200 - $13,201 = $1,999 (What is tree hugger? Carl Sagan?) (3rd place: $1,000)
(Alex: [Preparing to reveal Vincent's answer] Vincent reacted negatively a moment ago. Why was that? Because...)
(Vincent: I misread the question.)
[The clue displayed "his" instead of "this" in the studio, disadvantaging Vincent and resulting in his return in Season 35.]

Total Potential Lach Trash: $11,200

GAME DYNAMICS

CORYAT SCORES
Michelle: $14,600, 18 R (including 1 DD), 1 W
Bryan: $11,400, 16 R (including 1 DD), 2 W
Vincent: $9,600, 16 R (including 1 DD), 4 W
Combined Coryat: $35,600

BATTING AVERAGES
Michelle: 19/59 = .322
Bryan: 17/59 = .288
Vincent: 16/59 = .271
Team: 52/63 = .825

MISCELLANEOUS INTERESTING CLUES
FIRST LINES FROM NOVELS $1000: 1952:
"Roy Hobbs pawed at the glass before thinking to prick a match with his thumbnail"
(Bryan: What is Fahrenheit 451?)

THE HUMAN BODY $1000: (Kelly of the Clue Crew shows a model of the knee on the monitor.) These two ligaments, one posterior & one anterior, stabilize the knee & get their name from the fact that they cross in a "X" shape

CROSSWORD CLUES "P" $800: Rice field
(5)
(Vincent: What are paddies? What--)
(Alex: No.)

A STREETCAR $800: In 2001 this City of Roses got the USA's first new streetcar line since WWII & it'll take you to the Rose Quarter
(Vincent: What is Pasadena?)

NAME DESIRED $1000: Boaty McBoatface won a poll for the name of a big polar ship, but instead, the name chosen honors this British naturalist

WORLD HERITAGE IN DANGER $400: Far from any mosque, one of these prayer towers rises above the Hari River in remote central Afghanistan

WORLD HERITAGE IN DANGER $1200: The historic docklands of this northern England port city were added to the list in 2012

SHADY CHARACTERS $2000: Robert Patrick was this alphanumeric baddie in "Terminator 2: Judgment Day"
(Vincent: What is the T-2000?)

PARTING WORDS $800: This geometry term is what the middle line has done to the angle

IRISH HISTORY $400: Between 1844 & 1851, Ireland's population dropped more than 20% as a result of this disaster
(Alex: With less than a minute ago.)

CORRECT RESPONSES
synapses
Tucson
pagoda
the South Platte River
the International Space Station
the Miami Marlins
(Ben) Carson
orange
barrier reef
desolation
a crew/krewe
known associates
O'Connell
a tree hugger
The Natural
cruciate ligaments
paddy
Portland
(David) Attenborough
a minaret
Liverpool
the T-1000
bisect
the potato famine
Last edited by Archivists on Wed Jan 30, 2019 4:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by theFJguy »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
MODERN LANGUAGE

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
This slang term for an environmentalist is literally true of groups that used passive resistance vs. deforestation, as in India in 1973

Michelle Cabral: 14200+4000=18200 (2x = $36,600)
Vincent Valenzuela: 15200-13201=1999
Bryan Rucker: 11800+0=11800

Correct response:
Spoiler
tree hugger (Vincent – tree hugger Carl Sagan)

Daily Doubles
Bryan: 1000+1000
Michelle: 8600+1200
Vincent: 6800+6800

Coryats
Michelle: 14600
Vincent: 9600
Bryan: 11400

Combined: 35,600

Scores at the end of the Jeopardy! Round
Michelle: 3400
Vincent: 2400
Bryan: 4600
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Michelle in the opening:
Spoiler
with her mind blown.

Last name needed? Not for the famous White Sox LF of 1919.

Vincent got to mention his grandfather:
Spoiler
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/P%C3%ADo_Valenzuela

Who is honored with this stamp: Image
Later Vincent got caught blurting #1 on Carlin’s list and the show had to use an audible beep to censor it. Vincent’s mouth was not blurred as some shows do, so it was easy to lip read it started with S, ended with T and had four letters.

I thought Michelle was brilliant following the moment and the laugh with, “I thought it would be me.”

It was only a matter of which contestant as I knew a neg was coming when asking for the City of Roses.

The FJ! category had me expecting something to burn me such as the meme clue earlier this season. Nope, living in S.F. I get enough news of goings-on over in that Berkeley to make the clue a quick solve.

Bryan could have won with a different wager. Vincent could have won by avoiding the cross-out. He said, “I misread the question.” That is a wild misinterpretation of the clue’s wording to go that way after already having the correct response written.

Michelle bet the pretty 4000 and it worked today to get the invite to the next taping day.
Elijah Baley

Post by Elijah Baley »

MarkBarrett wrote: Fri Jul 13, 2018 1:25 pm Vincent could have won by avoiding the cross-out. He said, “I misread the question.” That is a wild misinterpretation of the clue’s wording to go that way after already having the correct response written.
I'm curious how he read the clue - as you point out, since he got the correct response initially - as Carl Sagan seems to have as much connection with the words in the sentence of the clue as any other person or thing around in the 70s - macrame, pop rocks, the Jackson 5, etc. Hopefully, he's ok with some good natured ribbing about his oops moment as it could happen to anyone.
Saturnalia
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Saturnalia »

Is it not common practice to BMS the Attenboroughs? I could have sworn I’ve seen that happen in the past.

From now on, I think I’ll refer to environmentalists as “Carl Sagans.”
Wpwells

Post by Wpwells »

I thought this final was pretty easy. Ironic that this was today’s clue after my disaster yesterday with an environmental guess
BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

Coryat: 28,000
43 R/3 W
DD: 2/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: Tucson, pagoda, International Space Station, Miami Marlins, crew/krewe, known associates

[BLEEP], indeed. After converting a gutsy TDD and a get of the IRA clue to take the lead going into FJ!, Vincent snatched defeat from the jaws of victory. Bryan wasn't able to capitalize on Michelle's savvy awful FJ! wager, so the player who was strongest overall gets to come back again to defend her crown. What a strange way to get to that outcome.

I totally blanked on "synapses." Ironic, that.

"Magnificent desolation" a memorable Buzz Aldrin quote on the moon? Apparently not.
Sprinkles are for winners.
StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Post by StevenH »

I got FJ in about 10 seconds, probably thanks to Eric Cartman.
Ironhorse
Second Banana

Post by Ironhorse »

I knew krewe because Krewe was one of the names considered for the rebranding of the New Orleans NBA franchise before they settled on Pelicans.
bigblue999
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by bigblue999 »

Instaget for FJ!

Vincent's bleep maybe a historic first for Jeopardy. He's probably bleeping his pants after costing himself the win. At least they remembered to add the censor unlike this moment:

Category 13
Wagering Viking

Post by Category 13 »

BigDaddyMatty wrote: Bryan wasn't able to capitalize on Michelle's savvy awful FJ! wager, so the player who was strongest overall gets to come back again to defend her crown. What a strange way to get to that outcome.
I had Bryan recommended for a 6999 bet to stay above Michelle's left over, if she tried to cover him doubling up. That woud have been enough to win for the wrong reason.
I pre-called she would make a wager like that. Maybe she was going for a nice even $20,000 in Canadian dollars.
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

I'm still trying to figure out what happened with Vincent on FJ. :? Got treehugger with plenty of time.
xxaaaxx

Post by xxaaaxx »

I had FJ right just from 'slang for environmentalist', the rest just made me chuckle. I started walking out of the room, sure of a triple get...and then I saw Vincent's response. I can't imagine what thought process led to Carl Sagan.

When it comes to FJ wagers, I've decided to start the summer break early. I give up.
Last edited by xxaaaxx on Fri Jul 13, 2018 8:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mfc248

Post by mfc248 »

bigblue999 wrote: Fri Jul 13, 2018 7:55 pm Instaget for FJ!

Vincent's bleep maybe a historic first for Jeopardy. He's probably bleeping his pants after costing himself the win.
Not the first bleep in Jeopardy! history - not even the first this decade. While it may not be entirely analogous, since the producers had to have seen this one coming a mile away, but: May 15, 2015 (Celebrity week, game 5). The actual bleep is at 0:27, but worth it to start from the beginning.
squarekara
J! Reactionary

Post by squarekara »

mfc248 wrote: Fri Jul 13, 2018 8:46 pm
bigblue999 wrote: Fri Jul 13, 2018 7:55 pm Instaget for FJ!
Vincent's bleep maybe a historic first for Jeopardy. He's probably bleeping his pants after costing himself the win.
Not the first bleep in Jeopardy! history - not even the first this decade. While it may not be entirely analogous, since the producers had to have seen this one coming a mile away, but: May 15, 2015 (Celebrity week, game 5). The actual bleep is at 0:27, but worth it to start from the beginning.
At our contestant briefing, I asked about what to do in the case of inadvertent f-bombs etc, and Maggie launched into an anecdote about designer Cynthia Rowley, shown here playing with Penn. Apparently, she had a hard time censoring herself. I don't recall what that looked like after editing, but maybe someone else does.
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

horrible wager by 2nd place and lucks out because the contestant in the lead misread the clue
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

Looks like they got to use a J!6 from last December live
Volante wrote: Thu Dec 28, 2017 10:37 pm Abridged, "The naturalist Boaty's parent vessel is named after."
Spoiler
Sir David Attenborough
Thought of hippie first, realized "No...that doesn't quite fit the deforestation pin...forest...tree... Oh."

Edit: And the ship is being launched in a few hours; this article just came across my feed
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-44828136
Last edited by Volante on Fri Jul 13, 2018 10:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

After her timid bets yesterday I was not surprised she left the door wide open for third place today.

FJ was a quick solve here. Add me to those wondering how he got Sagan out of that. Tough break for him after channeling his grandfather’s courage on the DD.
davey

Post by davey »

MarkBarrett wrote: Fri Jul 13, 2018 1:25 pm

Later Vincent got caught blurting #1 on Carlin’s list and the show had to use an audible beep to censor it. Vincent’s mouth was not blurred as some shows do, so it was easy to lip read it started with S, ended with T and had four letters.
Lip read? The word was more audible under the beep than a certain "What is" was in yesterday's DJ round...I'd say 3 of the 4 letters made it to air... :roll: