Tuesday, July 17, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Tuesday, July 17, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

Game Recap for Show #7807, 2018-07-17

Ryan Fenster game 5-B.

CONTESTANTS
Ryan Fenster, a banker from SeaTac, Washington
Bunny Miller, a retired operations manager from Huntington Station, New York
Michelle Cabral, an elementary school music teacher from Toronto, Ontario, Canada (whose 3-day cash winnings total $46,693)

OPENING REMARKS
Alex: Thank you, Johnny. Thank you, everyone. Some of you who are regular watchers of Jeopardy! will have recognized two of our players today. Our returning champion, of course, Michelle, who has been with us for four shows now, and Ryan also, who was a contestant earlier this season. But we had a clue that we didn't phrase quite as well as we should have, and it may have disadvantaged him, so our judges have decided that in order to be fair, we're gonna bring him back. Bunny, you're the newcomer, but don't be intimidated. You wouldn't be here unless you were really, really smart. So good luck, players. Here we go. Now let's take a look at the categories for the first round of play...

JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
CITING PRECEDENT (4/5)
THE WESTERN HEMISPHERE (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
IN THE KITCHEN (5/5)
SINGLE T, DOUBLE T (4/5)
THE OCTOPUS (5/5)
WHY DO I KNOW THIS?! (4/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Michelle: 14 R (including 1 rebound and 1 DD), 0 W
Ryan: 8 R (including 1 rebound), 2 W
Bunny: 5 R, 3 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 3
Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $2,600

JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Michelle found the Daily Double on the 13th clue. Michelle had $3,400, Bunny had $800, and Ryan was at $1,600. Michelle wagered $800.

THE WESTERN HEMISPHERE $600: This quiet cove of southwest Cuba came to sudden world attention in the spring of 1961

SCORES AT THE FIRST BREAK
Michelle: $5,000
Bunny: $1,800
Ryan: $1,600

CONTESTANT INTERVIEWS

Alex: Ryan Fenster is from SeaTac, Washington. Ryan, if memory serves, when you were on the program before, we introduced you as a banker. Now Johnny introduced you as a student. You lost your job. What happened?

Ryan: I did not lose--as we knew last time, I'm going off to grad school in the summer, and I came on here, and I came back home, and I said, "You know what? I'm going to be overseas for a couple years; I should take the time to hang out with friends and family."

Alex: Good for you. All right. Nice to have you back.

Alex: Bunny Miller from Huntington Station, New York. How'd you get the nickname Bunny?

Bunny: When I was a baby, I was on the small side, believe it or not, and they thought my real name, Barbara-Ann with a hyphen, was too much for a little baby. So I had a snowsuit with ears and a tail. My aunt started calling me Bunny, and it stuck.

Alex: It stuck.

Bunny: It stuck, and I'm only Barbara-Ann when I'm in trouble.

Alex: Oh. Barbara-Ann, you come in here now!

Bunny: That's exactly--

Alex: I know that.

Alex: Michelle Cabral is our champion. She's a music teacher from Ontario, Canada. And I'm often asked by people in the studio audience what's on my bucket list. Jeopardy! was on your bucket list, right?

Michelle: It was the number-one thing, and the fact that I'm here, that I've even been here a day is just mindblowing to me, so this is an opportunity of a lifetime. I got to find a new number one. I gotta look down the list to see what's there.

Alex: Okay, good. Good.

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
WHY DO I KNOW THIS?! $800: On the 2018 edition of "The Bachelor", this ex-car racer broke up with fiancee Becca to pick Lauren instead

SINGLE T, DOUBLE T $1000: Crenels are the empty parts & merlons are the solid parts in this structure, a type of parapet
(Ryan: What's a turret?)

CITING PRECEDENT $800: Roper v. Simmons said that for minors, this was cruel & unusual punishment, prohibited by the 8th Amendment
(Bunny: What is slavery?)
(Ryan: What is spanking in school?)

SCORES AT THE END OF THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
Michelle: $7,600
Ryan: $2,600
Bunny: $1,600
Last edited by Archivists on Wed Jan 30, 2019 4:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Tuesday, July 17, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
CITING THE PRESIDENT (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
FOREIGN FILMS (3/4)
FICTIONAL DOCTORS (4/5)
A LIGHT CATEGORY (4/5)
COMPOSERS (4/5)
THAT'S PROPRIETARY, MA'AM (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Ryan: 11 R, 3 W
Michelle: 7 R (including 2 rebounds), 0 W
Bunny: 7 R (including 2 DDs), 1 W

Clues revealed: 29
Triple Stumpers: 4
Double Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $6,000

FIRST DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Bunny snagged the next Daily Double on the 4th clue. Michelle had $8,800, Bunny had $2,800, and Ryan was at $1,800. Bunny wagered $2,000.

CITING THE PRESIDENT $1600: In the early 20th c.: "I took the canal zone, & let Congress debate, & while the debate goes on the canal does also"

SECOND DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
It was Bunny who snatched up the last Daily Double of the game on the 13th clue. Michelle had $10,400, Bunny had $8,000, and Ryan was at $2,600. Bunny wagered $2,000.

THAT'S PROPRIETARY, MA'AM $800: Adobe does not want you to use this imaging term as a verb or noun--try "airbrush"

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND
A LIGHT CATEGORY $1600: George Fox, founder of this Christian group, promoted "inner light", a direct connection to God
(Ryan: Who are the Methodists?)

COMPOSERS $1600: Gounod, who came up with some good tunes, called this 6-letter word "the unique secret of" the composer's art

FOREIGN FILMS $800: This 1969 French-language film with a 1-letter title was subtitled "Anatomy of a Political Assassination"

FICTIONAL DOCTORS $2000: A doctor himself, he created Dr. Stapleton, who solves medical mysteries in thrillers like "Contagion"
(Bunny: Who is Michael Crichton?)

SCORES ENTERING FINAL JEOPARDY!
Michelle: $14,800
Ryan: $11,800
Bunny: $9,200

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
WORLD CAPITAL SIGHTSEEING

VENUSIAN MONOLOGUES/MARTIAN CHRONICLES
Three-quarters for first place. Stratton's Dilemma.
Michelle: Wager $8,801 to cover Ryan.
Ryan: You ought to wager to cover Bunny, but since you cannot win on a Triple Stumper if you do so, you should choose between wagering $0 and maximizing your winnings with a wager of all $11,800. You are in Stratton's Dilemma, calling for a wager of more than $6,600 (to shut out Bunny) or less than $5,800 (risking the possibility of being passed from behind by Bunny). Go with the smaller bet if you believe a Triple Stumper is more likely than a singleton miss by Michelle.
Bunny: Consider risking between $2,601 and $3,200. This will top a $0 wager by Ryan while still beating Michelle on the Triple Stumper (should Michelle wager to cover Ryan's doubled score).

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
The unfinished Victory over America Palace & the rundown Victory over Iran Palace are in this city

FINAL SCORES
Bunny: $9,200 + $9,200 = $18,400 (What is Teh Baghdad?) (3rd place: $1,000)
Ryan: $11,800 + $11,800 = $23,600 (What is Baghdad) (New champion: $23,600)
Michelle: $14,800 + $4,400 = $19,200 (What is Bg Baghdad?) (2nd place: $2,000)
(Alex: And they were both built by Saddam Hussein.)

Total Potential Lach Trash: $8,600

GAME DYNAMICS

CORYAT SCORES
Michelle: $14,600, 21 R (including 1 DD), 0 W
Ryan: $11,800, 19 R, 5 W
Bunny: $7,600, 12 R (including 2 DDs), 4 W
Combined Coryat: $34,000

BATTING AVERAGES
Michelle: 22/59 = .373
Ryan: 20/58 = .345
Bunny: 13/60 = .217
Team: 55/63 = .873

MISCELLANEOUS INTERESTING CLUES
IN THE KITCHEN $400: Beans with equine names include appaloosa & this kind seen here

IN THE KITCHEN $800: British roast beef should really be served with this, sort of a popover-soufflé hybrid

THE WESTERN HEMISPHERE $800: (Kelly of the Clue Crew shows the Western Hemisphere on the monitor.) The Western Hemisphere's two largest islands are Greenland, which is the world's largest, & this island, 200 miles away

THE WESTERN HEMISPHERE $1000: The lowest spot in South America is in this country that's also home to the continent's highest point
(Alex: Mount Aconcagua is the high point.)

SINGLE T, DOUBLE T $400: A short, half-suppressed laugh or giggle
(Bunny: What is tee-hee?)

THE OCTOPUS $400: A deep sea octopus with large head fins that look like ears is named for this Disney movie character

THE OCTOPUS $800: An octopus has 3 hearts to pump its blood of this color throughout its body
(Bunny: What is black?)

THE OCTOPUS $1000: Octopi are called the smartest these, animals w/o backbones; in 2009 one disassembled a valve & flooded a Calif. aquarium
(Alex: Less than a minute now.)

CITING THE PRESIDENT $800: In the 1970s:
"Our long national nightmare is over"
(Ryan: Who's Carter?)

CITING THE PRESIDENT $2000: In an early 20th c. message to Congress:
"We have stood apart, studiously neutral"
(Alex: 1915.)

THAT'S PROPRIETARY, MA'AM $2000: In Canada, Loblaws Market owns this alliterative 2-word term for "generic"--it's their generic brand
(Ryan: What is name brand?)

FICTIONAL DOCTORS $1200: Dr. Maturin is ship's surgeon & friend to captain Aubrey in this Patrick O'Brian novel that launched a series
(Alex: With less than a minute.)

FOREIGN FILMS $1600: Toshiro Mifune starred in 1957's "Throne of Blood", one of 16 films he made with this director
[The end-of-round signal sounds.]

CORRECT RESPONSES
the Bay of Pigs
Arie Luyendyk
a battlement
capital punishment or the death penalty
Teddy Roosevelt
Photoshop
the Quakers or the Society of Friends
melody
Z
Robin Cook
Baghdad
pinto
Yorkshire pudding
Baffin Island
Argentina
titter
Dumbo
blue
an invertebrate
Ford
Wilson
No Name
Master and Commander
Kurosawa
Last edited by Archivists on Wed Jan 30, 2019 4:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by theFJguy »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
WORLD CAPITAL SIGHTSEEING

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
The unfinished Victory Over America Palace & the rundown Victory Over Iran Palace are in this city

Michelle Cabral: 14800+4400=19200
Bunny Miller: 9200+9200=18400
Ryan Fenster: 11800+11800=23600 (5x = $113,798)

Correct response:
Spoiler
Baghdad (Michelle – What is Bg Baghdad?) (Bunny – What is Teh Baghdad?) (Ryan – What is Baghdad)

Daily Doubles
Michelle: 3400+800
Bunny: 2800+2000
Bunny: 8000+2000

Coryats
Michelle: 14600
Bunny: 7600
Ryan: 11800

Combined: 34,000

Scores at the end of the Jeopardy! Round
Michelle: 7600
Bunny: 1600
Ryan: 2600
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Michelle cost herself the game and the method is not a surprise as it was easy to see it coming sooner or later. Ryan took advantage and gets to continue his split run.

For the FJ! round I wrote only the correct response while I may have mentally done the cross-out that Bunny showed.

Ryan explained about his introduction change from banker to student that he is going to be overseas for a couple of years and that he should hang out with friends and family. (J! winnings changing lives.)
Wpwells

Post by Wpwells »

Pretty quick final. What country has fought against both America and Iran?
Linear Gnome
One Miner Gal

Post by Linear Gnome »

MarkBarrett wrote: Tue Jul 17, 2018 11:34 am Michelle cost herself the game and the method is not a surprise as it was easy to see it coming sooner or later. Ryan took advantage and gets to continue his split run.
Yes. I'm sure it made wagering easier for Ryan and Bunny. It would have been interesting to see how they would have wagered if this had been the first game on the first day of a taping session.
xxaaaxx

Post by xxaaaxx »

Slam dunk, instaget, gotta-be-a-triple-get FJ.

On the one hand, I shouldn't be surprised since this is consistent with her other wagers, but yeesh. If Ryan had wagered to cover Bunny by $1 and let Michelle off the hook I would've been annoyed.
threearruda

Post by threearruda »

Briefly thought of Kabul but realized it didn't make sense - Baghdad it is. Pretty straightforward.

Floored at how Ryan pulled off another comeback, and it's nice to see him make the smart play to go big given Michelle's wagering tendencies. Welcome to the ToC!! Seeing as how he mentioned he'd be going overseas (I think), I can't help but wonder if there's going to be any conflict with his schooling and the ToC taping when we get there.

Minor gripe of the day: Can the J! website not find a better word or phrase than streaker for 5x champs? Please? It just sounds wrong.
Last edited by threearruda on Tue Jul 17, 2018 8:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
J! S39 - 1/27-2/1. '24 ToC ???

5x TD champ - 7x TD host
Category 13
Wagering Viking

Post by Category 13 »

As soon as Michelle finished DJ with a non crush lead, I knew she was doomed. Ryan was like the Bismark, training its turrets on the HMS Hood.

I do think it was a bit wreckless for Ryan (and Bunny) to wager everything. They're lucky it was not a bumb clue.
This one should poll better than 80%.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Finally
boson
Trivial

Post by boson »

As a Canadian playing mostly US trivia, you pick up stuff along the way about the US... But congrats to Michelle rocking the U S precedents category. Beating Americans at their own trivia must feel good. Nice wry smile for 'no name' - the generic brand at the largest chain of grocery stores in Canada.

Others are correct though - her tendency to wager small made the others' bets clear for final. Never be predictable when betting!
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

boson wrote: Tue Jul 17, 2018 9:03 pm
Others are correct though - her tendency to wager small made the others' bets clear for final. Never be predictable when betting!
Well, it's OK to be predictable if you're wagering correctly.

Who couldn't see that coming a mile away?
boson
Trivial

Post by boson »

alietr wrote: Tue Jul 17, 2018 9:17 pm
boson wrote: Tue Jul 17, 2018 9:03 pm
Well, it's OK to be predictable if you're wagering correctly.

Who couldn't see that coming a mile away?
I dunno. We see lots of people in second place win on a triple stumper because the leader bet to cover. For a multi-day champ, sometimes letting your opponents think you won't cover means they'll bet a lot (exhibit 1 - today). Michelle would have won on a triple stumper today, but not with the "correct" bet. The hard part, of course, is predicting whether a question will be a triple stumper or a triple get in advance. Call it Pawson's gambit, since he used it more effectively than most (see, for example, http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=2269).
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

I guess bringing him back was worth it.

Pavlov misfire kept me from a run on the food category. I've heard of manzanilla olives, but saw "manzana" and WAGged apple.

Any way to remember whether Pacific or Atlantic is largest?

I usually do well on marine life, but only got 2 right in Octopus: missed with Mickey Mouse on the big eared Disney character, and didn't know what color their blood is.

FINALLY I didn't draw a blank on Gypsum. Couldn't puzzle out "no name" as a synonym for generic, since that term exists in other non-retail contexts too.

Had no idea what to even guess on FJ!
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Tue Jul 17, 2018 10:07 pm Any way to remember whether Pacific or Atlantic is largest?
Yes
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

Bye, Michelle. It was fun watching you stand on 15 at the blackjack table against the dealer's 8 up but the right play is to hit it and hope for a small card ;) . I actually didn't get to see the game as our local channel replayed Vince's first game - I thought they had already brought him back to face her again!

Pretty simple FJ. It reminded me that I hadn't thought about Baghdad Bob since Sean Spicer left the White House. Or Eric and Donald Uday and Qusay :lol:
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
Saturnalia
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Saturnalia »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Tue Jul 17, 2018 10:07 pm
Pavlov misfire kept me from a run on the food category. I've heard of manzanilla olives, but saw "manzana" and WAGged apple.

... in Octopus: missed with Mickey Mouse on the big eared Disney character...
Precisely my two negs for the game and how I got there.

I couldn't pull the trigger on "gypsum," however. I probably should have...

Fun fact: in Mexico (and perhaps elsewhere in the Spanish-speaking world), chamomile tea is called "manzanilla," because it tastes a little like apples -- or thats where I'm told the name derives from, anyway. I guess if I sort of gustator-ially squint I can sort of understand.
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

41 R
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: Death Penalty, Quakers, Melody

"Pictures at an Exhibition" not a stumper? :shock:

Originally had Tehran, but thought of the clue some more and switched to Baghdad.
Douglas Squasoni
floridagator

Post by floridagator »

I thought of Michael Crichton for the doctor called for in double jeopardy, but I knew it couldn't be him because Andromeda Strain has already been a clue in the category. So good job whoever called those clues in order.

Also I thought the plaintiff in brown V board was a girl: Linda Brown.
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.
Bartleby

Post by Bartleby »

floridagator wrote: Wed Jul 18, 2018 1:42 am Also I thought the plaintiff in brown V board was a girl: Linda Brown.
The suit was brought by multiple families with the named plaintiff being Oliver Brown, Linda Brown's father.
I would prefer not to.