Tuesday, July 17, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Re: Tuesday, July 17, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by morbeedo »

I also negged with turret on the single T double T category, even though the word doesn’t fit. “Battlement” made me do a double take because I’ve been channeling Lady Macbeth of late:

The raven himself is hoarse
That croaks the fatal entrance of Duncan
Under my battlements. Come, you spirits
That tend on mortal thoughts, unsex me here,
And fill me from the crown to the toe top-full
Of direst cruelty. Make thick my blood.
Stop up the access and passage to remorse,
That no compunctious visitings of nature
Shake my fell purpose, nor keep peace between
The effect and it!
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

DBear wrote: Wed Jul 18, 2018 11:25 pm I can't even remember what Ford sounded like. Alex could've done a robotic voice for all the help that would provide.
The proper method is to fall over the lectern halfway through and finish the clue from the floor.
DavidRosen
Valued Contributor

Post by DavidRosen »

threearruda wrote: Tue Jul 17, 2018 8:08 pm
Minor gripe of the day: Can the J! website not find a better word or phrase than streaker for 5x champs? Please? It just sounds wrong.
Why not call a five-time victor an Ace?
MTGcollegestudent
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by MTGcollegestudent »

It was just illuminating that this was Michelle's best performance, and to lose to a returning 4-time champion using her same strategy. I said it on Monday, and Ryan definitely came out for blood, taking advantage of Michelle's strategy and getting FJ! right. You may fool them once, fool them twice, three times, but four, and it's a wash.

It's surprising that Ryan won without a DD, and normally in that kind of situation, the chances of winning could be pretty steep to about as close to a field of landmines. His first game, didn't get a DD at all, and lucked out because of Jennifer making small bets and getting 2/3 of her DDs WRONG. If he's to perform like that at the ToC, I'm not sure that will hold. Guess it shows that he can find a way to win without a crutch.

It's safe to say that watching Ryan come back really paid off well.
Jeopardy! is like History. It's a mixed bag of categories that try to test your knowledge to see if you know or can recall answers that seem familiar to the viewer.
mxc_takeshi
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by mxc_takeshi »

34 right.

Citing Precedent (4), Western Hemisphere (5), In the Kitchen (0), Single T, Double T (2), Octopus (2), Why Do I Know This?! (2)
Citing the President (5), Foreign Films (2), Fictional Doctors (4), A Light Category (3), Composers (3), That's Proprietary, Ma'am (2)

No Lach Trash.

With "Victory over America", my first thoughts were North Korea and Iran, but the "Victory over Iran" lead me to Iraq & Baghdad, also recalling Saddam's many palaces.
mahalo_back

Post by mahalo_back »

opusthepenguin wrote: Wed Jul 18, 2018 5:24 pm
Yeah, that was a rough draw. On the other hand, I'd rather face Michelle Cabral and Ryan Fenster together than play against Ken Jennings and a potted plant. So that's 150 players who, in my estimation, faced worse odds. Then there are the players who went up against Julia Collins, Austin Rogers, Matt Jackson, Roger Craig, Arthur Chu.
That is a great point

(Edited by mod to get quoting correct)
A drop of golden sun
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by A drop of golden sun »

MarkBarrett wrote: Tue Jul 17, 2018 11:34 am Michelle cost herself the game and the method is not a surprise as it was easy to see it coming sooner or later. Ryan took advantage and gets to continue his split run.

For the FJ! round I wrote only the correct response while I may have mentally done the cross-out that Bunny showed.

Ryan explained about his introduction change from banker to student that he is going to be overseas for a couple of years and that he should hang out with friends and family. (J! winnings changing lives.)
So you're saying Michelle had an historical tendency to wager very conservatively in Final Jeopardy! ? But aren't the players sequestered in the green room during the tapings of earlier games? So how would the other players know that?
A drop of golden sun
Loyal Jeopardista

opusthepenguin wrote: Thu Jul 19, 2018 10:39 am
DBear wrote: Wed Jul 18, 2018 11:25 pm I can't even remember what Ford sounded like. Alex could've done a robotic voice for all the help that would provide.
The proper method is to fall over the lectern halfway through and finish the clue from the floor.
You're perpetuating the false narrative that Ford was a klutz who fell down a lot--actually, he didn't...he hit his head one time on the entrance to Marine One. Chevy Chase, who played him on SNL in the 70s, made that his shtick and it stuck in the public consciousness, even though it had little to no basis in reality. Years later, he admitted that he wanted Jimmy Carter to beat him in the 1976 election and he did his Ford impression accordingly.

How many other presidents have been College Football All-Americans?
A drop of golden sun
Loyal Jeopardista

Elijah Baley wrote: Wed Jul 18, 2018 10:45 am
OntarioQuizzer wrote: Wed Jul 18, 2018 10:19 am
John Boy wrote: Wed Jul 18, 2018 9:37 am Wonder how far Ryan is going to take his streak now that he's been given a do-over and taken good advantage of it. This win moves him well into the top 100 all-time in regular-season winnings, and he seems highly motivated to do more.
He gives too many incorrect responses in the main game, in my opinion. I give him 2 more wins, tops.
Some pretty funny incorrect responses - like maybe the US Supreme Court determined that corporal punishment violated the 8th Amendment? I was surprised that Michelle didn't pick up the easy rebound there.

And I wonder if I'm the only one who is really weary of Alex's attempts at voice imitations? They're distracting - at best - and simply not very good or funny. Someone get the man to a community theater so that he can let that inner thespian out every once in a while - and not during the show.
I totally concur. His Gerald Ford sounded nothing like Gerald Ford. Also, the clue is supposed to be the clue, not Alex's impression of the speaker of the quotation.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

A drop of golden sun wrote: Sat Jul 21, 2018 2:06 am So you're saying Michelle had an historical tendency to wager very conservatively in Final Jeopardy! ? But aren't the players sequestered in the green room during the tapings of earlier games? So how would the other players know that?
Except for tournaments, all of the contestants are in the audience for the matches preceding theirs.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

alietr wrote: Sat Jul 21, 2018 5:28 am
A drop of golden sun wrote: Sat Jul 21, 2018 2:06 am So you're saying Michelle had an historical tendency to wager very conservatively in Final Jeopardy! ? But aren't the players sequestered in the green room during the tapings of earlier games? So how would the other players know that?
Except for tournaments, all of the contestants are in the audience for the matches preceding theirs.
Well, specifically the rounds of tournaments involving wild cards.
astrohip
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by astrohip »

LucarioSnooperVixey wrote: Wed Jul 18, 2018 12:48 am

"Pictures at an Exhibition" not a stumper? :shock:
Thank you Emerson, Lake & Palmer!
badgerfellow
One and Done

Post by badgerfellow »

mahalo_back wrote: Wed Jul 18, 2018 2:42 pm
Anyone who wins has to beat some smart people to do it, but not everyone has to beat two multiple-time champs. Does anyone remember anyone else having to face the odds Bunny did?
While she didn't have to face simultaneous champs, Jeanne Roper had to face Andrew Pau (6 game champ to that point) and Buzzy Cohen (his first win of 9 before the TOC) in a regular game that had an astounding combined Coryat: http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=5259