Wednesday, July 18, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Anachronism
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Wednesday, July 18, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Anachronism »

Stuck on 1992 and whether GHWB was a governor, couldn't move on in time, so I wouldn't have hit the clearer 1980 as fast as Ryan did.

It would be interesting to search past FJs for this type of question, "last election involving...," and see whether it's worth trying to memorize a basic table of 20th Century presidential elections. It seems like we've had a few.
danspartan
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by danspartan »

Ironhorse wrote: Wed Jul 18, 2018 10:01 pm
danspartan wrote: Wed Jul 18, 2018 9:57 pm
No shock on the wager, finally caught up with her and glad her opponents bet accordingly. (She seems like a lovey person I’m just a bit of a gamebot).
Is this a reference to yesterday's show?
Yes, sorry. Hazard of watching both episodes back to back. Mrs is a big baseball fan so we watched the all star hoopla last night so I caught up and blended the two in my head.
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

Now I remember Ryan :roll: . Can't say I'm a fan but I won't root against him. When he does go out I hope he is outplayed and it isn't a self inflicted defeat. He does know a lot of stuff and pulling FJ today was quite a feat.

I lingered on Clinton and GW Bush too long before realizing they didn't run against each other. I cycled back to Dukakis and Reagan and finally just picked 1984 without making it back to Jimmy Carter and pinning the date in time. Bum guess by Kyle, you only need to know one thing to know what are election and summer Olympics years, you don't need to learn the whole list.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

I could've taken 100,000 guesses and not known that the title object in "The Hunt for Red October" was a submarine. I'd say that was a tough top box, but I had zero clue in any of that category.

Thought the movie category was very tough too. NHO the film "Proud Mary".

Loved the pun category. Parasites/Paris sites was the only one I couldn't tease out because I got stuck on "France" puns.

The qi = energy = charger clue also seemed tricky for the top box.

Didn't recognize either name in Who Dis for $400. Neither Madison Bumgarner nor Madison Keys has any other hits in the Archive, although I do have to say the former is a very Hawley-Smoot name.

Couldn't put the pieces together on FJ! I at least knew Bubba used to be Governor of Arkansas and WAGged 1992 without remembering who he ran against. No way would I have gotten back to 1980, never mind pinning Carter as an ex-Governor.

Lach trash: dilate, extent, Anthony Kiedis
MattKnowles
selwonKttaM

Post by MattKnowles »

It's probably good to know that Bob Dole wasn't a governor. Lessons learned.

I guessed the "Idiot's Guide" series for the daily double "The name of these Yellow & Black study guides is used to suggest "a superficial grounding but no real insight."" Those guides used to be yellow and black and they fit that description.

Somebody on reddit pointed out that one of the puns had been previously used as a category.

I had a dream that I was asleep and then I woke up and Jeopardy! was on.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

MattKnowles wrote: Thu Jul 19, 2018 2:16 am I guessed the "Idiot's Guide" series for the daily double "The name of these Yellow & Black study guides is used to suggest "a superficial grounding but no real insight."" Those guides used to be yellow and black and they fit that description.
Those were actually the "For Dummies" books. "Complete Idiot's Guide" was orange.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

alietr wrote: Wed Jul 18, 2018 8:33 pm Stefan, was that you?
I guessed an election year.
BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

Coryat: 34,200
42 R/6 W
DD: 2/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: dilate/die late; parasites/Paris sights; Can't Buy Me Love, Leaving Las Vegas (DD), Webby, Cliffsnotes (DD), Rocco DiSpirito, John Landis, Anthony Keidis

I too forgot about the category and wasted time with the 21st Century elections, then settled on 1984, mixing up Michael Dukakis and Fritz Mondale. Luckily, I caught my error in time to step back one more election to 1980. Made it harder than it had to be, but a get's a get.

Anyone else wait with bated breath to see if Caitlion would omit the first 'S' in Cliffsnotes?

"Vegan cheesemaker" makes me think of the Jim Gaffigan routine "Ribs and Bologna":
Jim Gaffigan wrote:You know who seems to be really obsessed with meat? Vegetarians.

For people who don't like meat, they seem to eat a lot of vegetables that are mashed up and shaped to look like meat. [In his "vegetarian" voice]: "I find meat repulsive. I'll have a veggie burger with fake bacon, and can you serve it to me dressed like a cow? I don't like meat; I just like to call meat late at night and hang up. Let's drive by meat's house. Does meat ever ask about me? [singing] I don't care! I ain't missin' you at all...missin' youuuuuu...."

You never see that the other way: [meat eater's voice]: "I will have the steak and can you make it taste like tofu?"
Sprinkles are for winners.
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

MarkBarrett wrote: Wed Jul 18, 2018 11:30 am As is typical for Ryan when he plays he had some moments. He gave Australia with an accent. He attempted to ring in twice on the same clue. He was too late trying to correct his DD miss. He made a comeback from being down on the scoreboard. He gets to play again.
Yeah, for any "shortcomings," oddities, etc., there's that. Getting to play again seems to be a very desirable goal.

BTW does anyone happen to remember what was the clue in Ryan's original streak that led to his return? Any particulars appreciated.

I thought the punny category was kinda interesting and (apparently) quite the stumper until they figured out what the heck it was about. I managed to get parasites/Paris sights, die late/dilate (both TSs), hermit/her mitt, and hatchet/hatch it, so I felt pretty good about it overall.

Many congrats to Ryan on a helluva comeback and becoming a 6-time champ. He looks eager for more.

Usually this kind of FJ makes me crazy, but I actually was able to pull out 1980/Carter/Reagan in plenty of time. And well do I remember the presidential election of 1962, pitting, oh, whoever those two guys were....
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

StevenH wrote: Wed Jul 18, 2018 4:24 pm I got FJ, but possibly too late and I almost certainly wouldn't have gotten it while under pressure. I couldn't remember who Reagan ran against in 1984, but I knew that 1980 fit.
Sen. Walter Mondale
Foretopman

Post by Foretopman »

I got to 1980 (just barely) in time, but I made the mistake of starting with 1944 (when both candidates had been governor of the same state) and working forward from there.
travos
Contributor

Post by travos »

John Boy wrote: Thu Jul 19, 2018 7:29 am BTW does anyone happen to remember what was the clue in Ryan's original streak that led to his return? Any particulars appreciated.

“St. Thomas Aquinas died traveling to Lyon, France while attempting to heal this rift between the Latin & Greek churches.”

The Great Schism was negged. It wasn’t clear what they were actually looking for.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

BigDaddyMatty wrote: Thu Jul 19, 2018 3:46 am Anyone else wait with bated breath to see if Caitlion would omit the first 'S' in Cliffsnotes?
Yes! Mrs Penguin was particularly disappointed because she said Cliff Notes and wanted to see whether that would be accepted. They did accept that response once back in 1988. This was an FJ and negging the response would have changed the outcome of the game.
MattKnowles
selwonKttaM

Post by MattKnowles »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Thu Jul 19, 2018 2:20 am
MattKnowles wrote: Thu Jul 19, 2018 2:16 am I guessed the "Idiot's Guide" series for the daily double "The name of these Yellow & Black study guides is used to suggest "a superficial grounding but no real insight."" Those guides used to be yellow and black and they fit that description.
Those were actually the "For Dummies" books. "Complete Idiot's Guide" was orange.
Oops. You're right. Thanks for the correction it's good to know that. I forgot that there were two separate series.
I had a dream that I was asleep and then I woke up and Jeopardy! was on.
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

travos wrote: Thu Jul 19, 2018 9:18 am
John Boy wrote: Thu Jul 19, 2018 7:29 am BTW does anyone happen to remember what was the clue in Ryan's original streak that led to his return? Any particulars appreciated.

“St. Thomas Aquinas died traveling to Lyon, France while attempting to heal this rift between the Latin & Greek churches.”

The Great Schism was negged. It wasn’t clear what they were actually looking for.

Thanks for this.

Was anybody credited with a correct response, to give some hint what they WERE looking for? I would have been inclined to give the same response, but I know Aquinas (13th C.) was too late for the Great (Byzantine) Schism.
Elijah Baley

Post by Elijah Baley »

opusthepenguin wrote: Thu Jul 19, 2018 10:29 am
BigDaddyMatty wrote: Thu Jul 19, 2018 3:46 am Anyone else wait with bated breath to see if Caitlion would omit the first 'S' in Cliffsnotes?
Yes! Mrs Penguin was particularly disappointed because she said Cliff Notes and wanted to see whether that would be accepted. They did accept that response once back in 1988. This was an FJ and negging the response would have changed the outcome of the game.
Given that no reputable Jeopardy contestant would have stooped to a shortcut like CliffsNotes, it would be dastardly to expect such honorable folk to know that there is an "s" in the middle there. From my foggy distant memory, I always thought that they were "Cliftnotes." So - doubly wrong.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

MattKnowles wrote: Thu Jul 19, 2018 10:47 am
TenPoundHammer wrote: Thu Jul 19, 2018 2:20 am
Oops. You're right. Thanks for the correction it's good to know that. I forgot that there were two separate series.
I remember a "parody" called "The Complete Idoit's Guide for Dumies" [sic]
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I started with Carter and got to 1980 pretty quickly and wrote that down and then did a scan of the rest of the century and I was done. I forgot to check 2000 so I was lucky that wasn't it.
earendel

Post by earendel »

John Boy wrote: Thu Jul 19, 2018 11:54 am
travos wrote: Thu Jul 19, 2018 9:18 am

Thanks for this.

Was anybody credited with a correct response, to give some hint what they WERE looking for? I would have been inclined to give the same response, but I know Aquinas (13th C.) was too late for the Great (Byzantine) Schism.
I went to Wikipedia and searched for "Great Schism". It brought up a disambiguation page that listed both the split between the Roman Catholic Church and the Byzantine Orthodox Church and the split within the Catholic Church with multiple claimants to the Papal throne, with different seats (Rome and Avignon, France).
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

50 R
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: Sarin, Dilate/Die Late, Parasites/Paris Sites, Extent, (Leaving Las Vegas), Charger, Webby Awards, (Cliffnotes), (Tragedy), John Landis, Anthony Kiedis
Douglas Squasoni