Wednesday, July 18, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Wednesday, July 18, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

Game Recap for Show #7808, 2018-07-18

Ryan Fenster game 6.

CONTESTANTS
Caitlion O'Neill, a vegan cheesemaker from New Orleans, Louisiana
Kyle Adams, a communications manager from Monument, Colorado
Ryan Fenster, a banker from SeaTac, Washington (whose 5-day cash winnings total $113,798)

OPENING REMARKS
Alex: Thank you, Johnny. Yeah, I know. I know what you're thinking. "Wait a minute, Ryan won just $20,000 yesterday." You'll recall that I mentioned at the beginning of yesterday's program that he was a contestant on our show before, and we brought him back because there was a problem with a clue that disadvantaged him. Well, in those four games in which he appeared before, he won over $90,000. So he is now a five-time champion, a big player. Kyle and Caitlion, good luck to you against him. Here we go. Jeopardy! Round with these categories now in play...

JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
HISTORIC HISTORY FROM THE PAST (4/5)
THE WEATHER (4/5)
PUN-ISHING CLUES (2/5)
NOVELS (5/5)
"NEW" GEOGRAPHY (5/5)
FILM & HIT SONG SAME NAME (1/3, including 1 missed Daily Double) (Alex: We'll give you the name of a star of the film and a performer of the song. You identify it for us.)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Ryan: 8 R, 2 W
Caitlion: 8 R (including 1 rebound), 3 W (including 1 DD)
Kyle: 5 R (including 1 rebound), 2 W

Clues revealed: 28
Triple Stumpers: 6
Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $4,400

SCORES AT THE FIRST BREAK
Caitlion: $2,400
Ryan: $1,200
Kyle: $1,000

CONTESTANT INTERVIEWS

Alex: Caitlion O'Neill is from New Orleans, Louisiana. She is a vegan cheesemaker.

Caitlion: Yeah, if I had been told that four years ago that I would be a vegan cheesemaker, I would've laughed in your face. But I developed a dairy allergy being a lifelong fan of cheese. Instead of being, "Well, you know, this is the end of everything," I researched how can you make cheese without dairy. And the answer is, it really does work. It melts, it ages, it cultures, and it's delicious.

Alex: What do you use?

Caitlion: I generally use cashews and sometimes soy with different probiotic strains.

Alex: Okay. Good for you.

Alex: Kyle Adams is from Monument, Colorado. Grew up in an Air Force family and spent some time in Iceland at Reykjavik, right? The air base there?

Kyle: The air base is called Keflavik, but it's right outside Reykjavik, yes.

Alex: I have a cap from a visit there. Now, you learned some Icelandic--a very important phrase, I understand.

Kyle: I did. My mom would take us to the donut shop, and so I know how to ask for five donuts in Icelandic. And that is [speaking Icelandic], in case anyone wants to know.

[Alex repeats the Icelandic phrase.]

Kyle: Yes, sir.

Alex: When I go back, I will remember that. [Repeating the Icelandic phrase], please.

Alex: Ryan Fenster is our champion. He's earned a lot of money. It says here that you asked your date to the prom as Robin Hood would have.

Ryan: Yes.

Alex: What does that mean?

Ryan: I was--you know, as a tradition, you come up with some kind of cutesy way, and I'm not really good at that. So what I did is I thought for a bit and I made an arrow. I, like, do archery, cut it in half, and put suction cups on either end, then had her lockermate pop the locker open. So I suctioned one end to the one end and the other on the inside. And on the inside, it had a little message tied to the arrow: "Will you go to prom with me?"

Alex: Well, that is very imaginative. Way to go. Did it work?

Ryan: She said yes.

Alex: All right, good for you. I love it.

JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Caitlion found the Daily Double on the 28th clue. Ryan had $2,800, Kyle had $2,200, and Caitlion was at $2,200. Caitlion wagered $2,000.

FILM & HIT SONG SAME NAME $600: Nicolas Cage & Sheryl Crow
(Alex: Caitlion?)
(Caitlion: What is National Treasure?)
[The end-of-round signal sounds.]

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
HISTORIC HISTORY FROM THE PAST $1000: Developed in 1938, this easily inhaled nerve agent that causes paralysis was used by Iraq against the Kurds
(Ryan: What is nerve gas?)
(Kyle: What is mustard gas?)
[Ryan rings in again]
(Alex: You can't ring in again, Ryan.)

PUN-ISHING CLUES $200: "To live until you are very, very old", or to widen one's pupils

PUN-ISHING CLUES $400: "Things that can be seen from the Eiffel Tower", or animals that live & feed on other animals
(Caitlion: What are predators?)

THE WEATHER $1000: It's the term for a warm layer above a cool one when going higher in the atmosphere; the reverse is what's normal
(Ryan: What is a high pressure system?)

PUN-ISHING CLUES $1000: "Former circus big top enclosure", or the distance something encompasses
(Alex: Less than a minute now.)

FILM & HIT SONG SAME NAME $800: Patrick Dempsey & The Beatles

SCORES AT THE END OF THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
Ryan: $2,800
Kyle: $2,200
Caitlion: $200
Last edited by Archivists on Wed Jan 30, 2019 4:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Wednesday, July 18, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
SOCRATES, PLATO & ARISTOTLE (4/5, including 1 missed Daily Double)
THE OED's RECENT WORDS (3/5, including 1 missed Daily Double)
THAT'S SO RANDOM! (5/5)
A LITTLE SCIENCE (5/5)
NEW PHONE (4/5)
WHO "DIS"? (2/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Kyle: 8 R (including 1 rebound), 0 W
Ryan: 8 R (including 1 rebound), 2 W (including 1 DD)
Caitlion: 7 R, 3 W (including 1 DD)

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 5
Double Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $6,400

FIRST DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Caitlion snagged the next Daily Double on the 12th clue. Ryan had $4,400, Kyle had $7,000, and Caitlion was at $2,200. Caitlion made it a True Daily Double, wagering $2,200.

THE OED's RECENT WORDS $1600: The name of these yellow & black study guides is used to suggest "a superficial grounding but no real insight"
(Caitlion: What are SparkNotes?)

SECOND DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
It was Ryan who snatched up the last Daily Double of the game on the 15th clue. Ryan had $4,800, Kyle had $7,000, and Caitlion was at $2,000. Ryan made it a True Daily Double, wagering $4,800.

SOCRATES, PLATO & ARISTOTLE $1600: Aristotle wrote that for this genre, the plot must "imitate actions arousing fear and pity"
(Ryan: What is drama?)
(Alex: [Inhales sharply])
(Ryan: Oh, what is--)
(Alex: No, sorry.)
(Ryan: What is [*]?)
(Alex: No, you can't correct yourself after I've ruled you incorrect. It's [*], but you didn't correct in time. Sorry.)

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND
NEW PHONE $400: One of these for your wireless smartphone is called Qi, a Chinese term for energy
(Ryan: What's a battery?)

THE OED's RECENT WORDS $1200: These awards given annually by the International Academy of Digital Arts & Sciences were awarded an OED entry

WHO "DIS"? $1200: This celebrity chef's Italian last name translates to "of the spirit"

WHO "DIS"? $1600: Adjusted for inflation, this director's "Animal House" made more than $400 million

WHO "DIS"? $2000: While filming "Carpool Karaoke", this Red Hot Chili Peppers lead singer saved a baby's life with CPR

SCORES ENTERING FINAL JEOPARDY!
Kyle: $10,600
Ryan: $6,800
Caitlion: $5,600

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
20th CENTURY PRESIDENTIAL ELECTIONS

VENUSIAN MONOLOGUES/MARTIAN CHRONICLES
Crush for first place.
Kyle: Wager $3,001 to cover Ryan.
Ryan: You have the hope of surpassing Kyle if you come up with the correct response. Bet at least $4,401 to force Kyle to wager to win while also protecting your position from being usurped by Caitlion.
Caitlion: Your only hope of a win is that you're the only one to give a correct response, so bet $5,598 or so, leaving a few bucks behind in case someone wagers it all.

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
The last election in which both major party candidates were former state governors was in this year

FINAL SCORES
Caitlion: $5,600 - $5,598 = $2 (What is 1992?) (3rd place: $1,000)
Ryan: $6,800 + $6,799 = $13,599 (What is 1980?) (6-day champion: $127,397)
Kyle: $10,600 - $3,001 = $7,599 (What is 1962?) (2nd place: $2,000)
(Alex: [To Ryan] Jimmy Carter against Ronald Reagan.)

Total Potential Lach Trash: $10,800

GAME DYNAMICS

CORYAT SCORES
Ryan: $11,600, 16 R, 4 W (including 1 DD)
Kyle: $10,600, 13 R, 2 W
Caitlion: $9,800, 15 R, 6 W (including 2 DDs)
Combined Coryat: $32,000

BATTING AVERAGES
Ryan: 17/59 = .288
Caitlion: 15/60 = .250
Kyle: 13/58 = .224
Team: 45/63 = .714

MISCELLANEOUS INTERESTING CLUES
THE WEATHER $400: (Jimmy of the Clue Crew shows a weather model on the monitor.) When frigid air moves under warm air, pushing it up & producing heavy rain or snow, it forms one of these 2-word zones

THE WEATHER $800: Most weather occurs in this lowest "sphere" of the Earth's atmosphere that extends up to around 12 miles
(Caitlion: What is the biosphere?)

FILM & HIT SONG SAME NAME $200: Taraji P. Henson & Ike and Tina Turner
(Kyle: What is "What's Love Got To Do With It?")

SOCRATES, PLATO & ARISTOTLE $400: Most of Plato's works are in this form; Socrates is among the speakers in all but one
(Caitlion: What is a... narrative?)

A LITTLE SCIENCE $800: The name of a Russian scientist gives us this adjective for an unthinking reaction
(Caitlion: What is Pavlov?)

CORRECT RESPONSES
"Leaving Las Vegas"
sarin
to dilate or die late
Paris sites/parasites
an inversion layer
ex-tent/extent
"Can't Buy Me Love"
CliffsNotes
tragedy
a charger
the Webby Awards
Rocco DiSpirito
John Landis
Anthony Kiedis
a cold front
the troposphere
"Proud Mary"
a dialogue
Pavlovian
Last edited by Archivists on Wed Jan 30, 2019 4:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by theFJguy »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
20th CENTURY PRESIDENTIAL ELECTIONS

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
The last election in which both major party candidates were former state governors was in this year

Ryan Fenster: 6800+6799=13,599 (6x = $127,397)
Kyle Adams: 10600-3001=7599
Caitlion O’Neill: 5600-5598=2

Correct response:
Spoiler
1980 (Kyle – 1962) (Caitlion – 1992)

Daily Doubles
Caitlion: 2200-2000
Caitlion: 2200-2200
Ryan: 4800-4800

Coryats
Ryan: 11600
Kyle: 10600
Caitlion: 9800

Combined: 32,000

Scores at the end of the Jeopardy! Round
Ryan: 2800
Kyle: 2200
Caitlion: 200
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

As is typical for Ryan when he plays he had some moments. He gave Australia with an accent. He attempted to ring in twice on the same clue. He was too late trying to correct his DD miss. He made a comeback from being down on the scoreboard. He gets to play again.

The FJ! clue had me take an embarrassing hammer. I was not able to work through the years fast enough to recall the candidates and recall governor status to get to the right place in time. Part of my problem was my own fault as I lost precious seconds with W. who was of course 21st and not 20th c.

Back in the right century and working my way backwards through Clinton and HW I panicked and leaped back to 1960 for a Nixon check then LBJ elimination. The delay through Nixon opponents in 1968 and 1972 left me not long from getting it right though too late.

Blank paper fail from the comfort of home. Credit to Ryan for getting it done with a lot more pressure.
Elijah Baley

Post by Elijah Baley »

From the look on Kyle's face - or maybe more accurately, his posture - during FJ, it seemed like he was just completely lost, hence coming up with a completely irrational response of 1962. Gotta at least know those presidential election years!

And really - just going backwards: (1) Clinton - nope because Bush and Dole weren't governors, (2) Dukakis - nope because Bush, (3) Mondale - wasn't a governor, and (4) Carter (former Georgia governor) and Reagan (former California governor) - and done.
StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Post by StevenH »

I got FJ, but possibly too late and I almost certainly wouldn't have gotten it while under pressure. I couldn't remember who Reagan ran against in 1984, but I knew that 1980 fit.
GoodStrategy
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by GoodStrategy »

MarkBarrett wrote: Wed Jul 18, 2018 11:30 amPart of my problem was my own fault as I lost precious seconds with W. who was of course 21st and not 20th c.
Remember that centuries begin in --01 years (a fact that the show has reminded us of in numerous ways over the years), so 2000 was still worth looking at.
xxaaaxx

Post by xxaaaxx »

Gore no, Dole no, GHWB no x2 (I forget what Dukakis was), Mondale no, Reagan/Carter -> 1980, plenty of time to spare. Welcome to the ranks of the superchampions, Ryan. A strange road to be sure, but 6 wins is 6 wins. Hopefully between "now" and the next TOC he studies a bit more, because...
OntarioQuizzer wrote: Wed Jul 18, 2018 10:19 am He gives too many incorrect responses in the main game, in my opinion. I give him 2 more wins, tops
...yowser. (One down, one to go?)

Hey Mark, how many superchamps have you rated bronze level? Or am I not giving Ryan enough credit?
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

xxaaaxx wrote: Wed Jul 18, 2018 7:35 pm Gore no, Dole no, GHWB no x2 (I forget what Dukakis was), Mondale no, Reagan/Carter -> 1980, plenty of time to spare. Welcome to the ranks of the superchampions, Ryan. A strange road to be sure, but 6 wins is 6 wins. Hopefully between "now" and the next TOC he studies a bit more, because...
OntarioQuizzer wrote: Wed Jul 18, 2018 10:19 am He gives too many incorrect responses in the main game, in my opinion. I give him 2 more wins, tops
...yowser. (One down, one to go?)

Hey Mark, how many superchamps have you rated bronze level? Or am I not giving Ryan enough credit?
Yeah, superchamps do not usually get bronze level. For Ryan it's easy to notice the negatives although I would say don't ignore the positives. Here is his stat link not including the 7/18 game: http://www.j-archive.com/showplayerstat ... r_id=11880

It indicates some Jekyll & Hyde going on.

6.17 W average is ridiculous and perhaps by the TOC Ryan will learn to play with more discipline?
1.33 on rebounds indicates decent buzzer skill.
20.17 R is respectable though not great.
67% and 83% on DDs and FJs is fine.
14100 Coryat Avg is below par and would look a lot better without all of the negs

Ryan has shown the ability more than once to quickly make up ground and that has to count for something.
Ryan has trailed going into the FJ! round 4 times out 7 games he played, so that is telling he is quite beatable.

For the TOC would I bet on him to win both a QF and a SF match from a leading position? No way. That doesn't mean he could not make the finals through wildcard and tough semifinal FJ! clue though. Time will tell.

For regular play it's all gravy whether he loses on Thursday or makes it to next week. He's proven and shown enough to not be out of place with the rest of the TOC field so far. He's not Gold and that is no crime as only 5 of 15 get that placement. It's being in the 15 that counts and he's there.
threearruda

Post by threearruda »

6 is clearly the new 5 when it comes to wins and ToC competitors. :D
xxaaaxx wrote: Wed Jul 18, 2018 7:35 pm Hey Mark, how many superchamps have you rated bronze level? Or am I not giving Ryan enough credit?
Ryan's got a good academic knowledge base and he seems to have success lower on the board. He's also 6/7 on Final. I honestly think Ryan could be a silver rating (I'd consider him maybe ahead of Rachel/Gilbert), but you're right to be concerned/worried come ToC time; someone steady and consistent like Josh might give him a whupping.
J! S39 - 1/27-2/1. '24 ToC ???

5x TD champ - 7x TD host
Category 13
Wagering Viking

Post by Category 13 »

MarkBarrett wrote:He attempted to ring in twice on the same clue. He was too late trying to correct his DD miss.
For these shenanigans, I had to root against him.

Tough luck for Kyle, who stayed clam enough to be top dog at the end of DJ. You could tell he was flummuxed by the final.
I liked Caitlion's final wager.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Stefan, was that you?
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

In the name of all that is good, never have Pun-ishing Clues as a category ever again!
Why couldn't the clue have referred to Nicholas Cage and Iron Maiden?
Spoiler
The Wicker Man
Bit on 1992 as well, thought George the Elder was gov...
trash: inversion, charger, Webby, both DJ! DDs, tragedy, Anthony Kiedis.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

I needed about another 5 seconds. I couldn't get back to 1980 quickly enough.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

Loved Pun-ishing Clues but could have done with an example up front. After the first reveal I understood the category and got three of the remaining four. I'm hoping they'll bring the category back so I can see if I do better now that I know what's up.
Linear Gnome
One Miner Gal

Post by Linear Gnome »

econgator wrote: Wed Jul 18, 2018 8:56 pm I needed about another 5 seconds. I couldn't get back to 1980 quickly enough.
Unfortunately, I stopped at 1984 because I convinced myself that Mondale had been governor.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

Linear Gnome wrote: Wed Jul 18, 2018 9:07 pm
econgator wrote: Wed Jul 18, 2018 8:56 pm I needed about another 5 seconds. I couldn't get back to 1980 quickly enough.
Unfortunately, I stopped at 1984 because I convinced myself that Mondale had been governor.
Unfortunately, I dismissed the recent past without examining each possibility. I started with Ford vs. Carter, rejected that, and went backwards from there. Finally decided on 1968 in the hopes that Humphrey had been a governor. (He hadn't.)
Ironhorse
Second Banana

Post by Ironhorse »

I was tempted by 1992 as I couldn't remember if the elder Bush had been a governor, but ended up settling on 1980.

Add vegan cheesemaker to the list of unique professions.
danspartan
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by danspartan »

Fun show for me. I helped commercialize a process to make lactic acid and gypsum is a byproduct. Come to think of it I’ve made cheese and yogurt starter cultures as well. The fun of industrial microbiology.

No shock on the wager, finally caught up with her and glad her opponents bet accordingly. (She seems like a lovey person I’m just a bit of a gamebot).
Ironhorse
Second Banana

Post by Ironhorse »

danspartan wrote: Wed Jul 18, 2018 9:57 pm
No shock on the wager, finally caught up with her and glad her opponents bet accordingly. (She seems like a lovey person I’m just a bit of a gamebot).
Is this a reference to yesterday's show?