Thursday, July 19, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Re: Thursday, July 19, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by opusthepenguin »

CasketRomance wrote: Thu Jul 19, 2018 10:34 pm oh i see...they really had to go with abbreviations for such a short name and movie title? i imagine they go with bae instead of babe too
DBSAPP. AAF.

The one that gets me is on medical shows where they bring someone into the ER and say the person has a GSW. They pronounce every letter. Guys. You are not saving yourselves time by pronouncing the W rather than saying "wound." "Gunshot wound." Saves time. Get it together.
John Boy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by John Boy »

econgator wrote: Thu Jul 19, 2018 7:31 pm
Can't say I have ever heard of the word "cager" used in relation to basketball.
That's probably because you're not 150 years old like some of us around here. Old term from newspaper sportswriters (ACK! NEWSPAPERS?! Even OLDER!). Kinda like when they would refer to track and field athletes as "thinclads," because of wearing only thin little shorts/tops in competition.

OK, I'll go take my nap now, so I'll have strength later to yell at some kids to get off my lawn.
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

Tremendous comeback (yeah, again) for the champ. I'm truly impressed.

Close Encounters was a really quick get for me and never considered anything else (fortunately). In retrospect a couple of reasonable alternatives might have changed my mind.

Now to see if I can get the 5-for-5 FJ week that eluded me last week!
Elijah Baley

Post by Elijah Baley »

JMoody wrote: Thu Jul 19, 2018 9:26 pm Hi all,
Just watched the episode and man I didn't realize how timid I was with my Daily Doubles. I think my mindset was such that I didn't want to risk it all and potentially lose it and have to come from behind with two great players like Ryan and Michelle, especially after starting the game in the hole. Of course after the Daily Double in the CIA category I *really* wish I'd have gone for a true Daily Double. To answer questions I saw in the thread, we do see our scores above the stage and I'd glance up every now and again. I misread the first of the two Americium questions and, knowing that Californium and Berkelium fall close to Americium on the Periodic Table that it was a good guess, completely overlooking the bit about the first nuclear reaction. The last one I just shouldn't have rang in on and got a little buzzer happy.

As for what Alex's other guess was for FJ, when he came up to us afterwards, he said he thought it might have been "E.T.," not realizing that E.T. came out in 1982.
Thanks very much, Justin, for addressing that about the scoreboard. It's got to be a lot to process - keeping an eye on the score as the game continues to roll along, working that buzzer mojo, etc. And yes, with some very sharp competition, you were in control for much of the game. It was a very entertaining to watch and it sound like you had fun with it!
squarekara
J! Reactionary

Post by squarekara »

RobW wrote: Thu Jul 19, 2018 11:57 pm
squarekara wrote: Thu Jul 19, 2018 10:07 pm Ryan'll get flak for his holster gesture, but I say, after a comeback like that, let the kid have his end zone dance.
It was a breathtaking run (and lucky, thanks to the rebound swings). But I bet I wasn't the only viewer expecting karmic retribution for the Annie Oakley routine, in the form of a tough FJ and a reckless wager.

Instead it was just the latter, and Ryan makes it to game #8 and knocks me down another peg. I look forward to congratulating him in person someday! ;)
When "The Fastest Spindle in the West" returns to Culver City, I reckon he'll be packin' a big ol' saddlebag of karma to distribute as necessary!
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Note to self: "Close Encounters of the Third Kind" is a 1970s alien film directed by Steven Spielberg. File this in your rolodex, even though it'll probably fall back out two days later.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Fri Jul 20, 2018 3:34 pm Note to self: "Close Encounters of the Third Kind" is a 1970s alien film directed by Steven Spielberg. File this in your rolodex Rolodex™, even though it'll probably fall back out two days later.
Fixed. :D
Spoiler
It would have made more sense Tuesday...
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Sadly, The Dude did not abide.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

alietr wrote: Fri Jul 20, 2018 3:51 pm Sadly, The Dude did not abide.
Elijah Baley

Post by Elijah Baley »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Fri Jul 20, 2018 3:34 pm Note to self: "Close Encounters of the Third Kind" is a 1970s alien film directed by Steven Spielberg. File this in your rolodex, even though it'll probably fall back out two days later.
Better yet, simply find it and watch it.
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

43 R
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: Iran, Mt. Whitney, James Joyce, The Last Tycoon, Eager
Douglas Squasoni
BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

Coryat: 35,400
46 R/1 W
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: "You've Lost That Lovin' Feelin'"; Mount Whitney; James Joyce

I'm friends with Dave Mattingly, who will be/was a contestant on the July 20 episode, so I had seen from his Facebook page that Ryan must have won this game. That made watching it all the more interesting, as I kept wondering how he would pull off what became an increasingly improbable comeback. Wow! I feel bad for Justin--welcome to JBoard!--as his conservative DD wagers did him in. He left a total of $17,000 on the table, and he only needed $3501 of it to go into FJ! with the lead. Frankly, even $1501 might have done the trick, as he might have avoided negging on the final clue of DJ! Yikes.
Sprinkles are for winners.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I started with Star Wars but the title in FJ didn’t seem to make sense. I switched to the right one with time enough to write it out.

Thanks for sharing your experience, Justin. Congrats on making the show and coming close to KOing a superchamp.
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

It's rare for me to have a RTFQ moment, but that happened tonight (Thursday) and I wrote Spielberg. Thought of ET, knew it was an 80s film, but thought I was on the right track with SS. Would've never come up with CE3K

Ryan had an even more impressive come from behind victory in one of his earlier games, when he looked like was he out of it completely. Then surged ahead with the last 6 or so clues, and the other contestant didn't know what hit him.

I would have gone big on those DDs. Surprised to see both DDs in the $800 box in DJ

Surprised to see Ryan do so well in the CLASSIC SONGS category. I got 3/5, but was too slow to pull A Day in the Life.