Friday, July 20, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Friday, July 20, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

Game Recap for Show #7810, 2018-07-20

Ryan Fenster game 8.

CONTESTANTS
Dave Mattingly, a director of technology from Old Forge, Pennsylvania
Emily Moore, a consultant from Atlanta, Georgia
Ryan Fenster, a banker from SeaTac, Washington (whose 7-day cash winnings total $156,497)

OPENING REMARKS
Alex: Thank you, Johnny. Yeah, folks, you'd smile that way also if you had won $157,000. Emily, I love the way you signed in.

Emily: Thank you.

Alex: And Dave Mattingly, you don't look old enough to have played in Major League Baseball for so many years.

Dave: I get that a lot.

Alex: I'm sure you do. Good luck, though. Here we go. Now the categories...

JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
HISTORY IN EUROPE (4/5, including 1 missed Daily Double)
GET ME REWRITE! (5/5)
HANDWEAR (4/5)
MUSIC OF 20 YEARS AGO (5/5)
DEAD IN SHAKESPEARE (5/5)
AFTER NOON (5/5) (Alex: Each correct response will begin with "N-O" and come up in the dictionary after "noon".)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Dave: 14 R (including 2 rebounds), 1 W
Ryan: 7 R (including 1 rebound), 2 W (including 1 DD)
Emily: 7 R, 2 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 1
Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $400

JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Ryan found the Daily Double on the 15th clue. Ryan had $4,000, Emily had $1,000, and Dave was at $2,200. Ryan made it a True Daily Double, wagering $4,000.

HISTORY IN EUROPE $1000: A September 5, 1793 French decree officially started this; it lasted just under a year
(Ryan: What is the First Republic?)

SCORES AT THE FIRST BREAK
Dave: $2,200
Emily: $1,000
Ryan: $0

CONTESTANT INTERVIEWS

Alex: So many people nowadays have Twitter accounts. Dave Mattingly is one of them, and yours is a very specialized account having to do with odds in NFL games?

Dave: In a matter of speaking. What is does is actually calculate the odds that a NFL game will finish with a score that's never been obtained in NFL history.

Alex: I don't understand exactly what you just said.

Dave: Well, it tracks the stats of the game as it goes along. And it will tell you just how likely it is that the game will end in a score that's never been accomplished.

Alex: Oh, that's never been accomplished. All right. And you have 10,000 followers for that.

Dave: Supposedly.

Alex: Okay, good for you.

Alex: Emily Moore, from Atlanta, Georgia.

Emily: Yes.

Alex: You wrote--I'm often asked about Watson the computer, the IBM computer that competed on our show.

Emily: Yes.

Alex: You wrote an essay about that.

Emily: Yes, for my TV and film class in college, we had to write about our favorite TV shows. And of course, I picked Jeopardy!. And I wrote about Watson, and I actually entered it in an essay contest and won $250.

Alex: Hello! So Watson helped you win?

Emily: He did.

Alex: Good for you.

Alex: Ryan Fenster. He's our champion, as I mentioned at the beginning of the program. Won a ton of money. You were on your seventh grade quiz bowl team?

Ryan: That's true. I was living in Nebraska at the time, and we--we went to compete, and I carried the team. But then, it's not bragging because on the way home, the coach says, "Okay, everybody, here's my cell phone. Call your folks to, you know, come pick you up." I'd known all those questions. Did not know my own phone number.

Alex: Okay. That should tell you something about Jeopardy! champions.

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
HANDWEAR $400: In the 2000s pro baseball's Ichiro Suzuki won this defensive award 10 straight times
(Dave: What is the Golden Glove?)
(Alex: You are right.)
(Dave: $600--)
(Alex: No, sorry. Sorry, incorrect.)
(Alex: It's not the Golden Glove; that's boxing. It is [*] in Major League Baseball.)

SCORES AT THE END OF THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
Dave: $7,200
Emily: $2,000
Ryan: $800
Last edited by Archivists on Wed Jan 30, 2019 4:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Friday, July 20, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
RIVERS (4/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
COLORFUL ORIGINS (3/5)
"C" YOU IN THE FUNNY PAPERS (5/5)
LANGUAGE (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
ECO-READER (5/5)
FAMOUS JEWISH AMERICANS (5/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Dave: 16 R (including 1 rebound and 1 DD), 1 W
Ryan: 7 R (including 1 rebound and 1 DD), 3 W
Emily: 4 R (including 1 rebound), 1 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 3
Double Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $5,600

FIRST DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Ryan snagged the next Daily Double on the 9th clue. Ryan had $2,800, Emily had $800, and Dave was at $7,600. Ryan made it a True Daily Double, wagering $2,800.

RIVERS $1600: Follow all 3,900 miles of China's Yangtze River to the sea & you'll wind up in this metropolis

SECOND DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
It was Dave who snatched up the last Daily Double of the game on the 18th clue. Ryan had $5,600, Emily had $2,400, and Dave was at $11,200. Dave wagered $3,000.

LANGUAGE $1200: The best way to find Belize's Mennonites is to look for modestly dressed blond people & listen for this language

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND
COLORFUL ORIGINS $1600: This purplish color gets its name from a word for the mallow plant, which is often that hue
(Emily: What is heather?)

COLORFUL ORIGINS $2000: Around 1860 a purplish-red dye was given this name of an Italian battle site

RIVERS $2000: The westernmost capital in continental Europe, Lisbon, is on the banks of this river
(Ryan: What's the Ebro?)

SCORES ENTERING FINAL JEOPARDY!
Dave: $26,200 (lock game)
Ryan: $6,000
Emily: $4,000

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
FUTURISTIC FICTION

VENUSIAN MONOLOGUES/MARTIAN CHRONICLES
Lock for first place; two-thirds-tie for second place.
Dave: Wager between $0 (venusian) and $14,199 (martian), and enjoy your victory.
Ryan: Wager $2,000.
Emily: Risk all $4,000.

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
Fear of the social reorganization represented by an auto tycoon's innovations inspired this 1932 novel

FINAL SCORES
Emily: $4,000 + $3,998 = $7,998 (What is Brave New World?) (3rd place: $1,000)
Ryan: $6,000 + $6,000 = $12,000 (What is Brave New World) (2nd place: $2,000)
Dave: $26,200 - $0 = $26,200 (What is Atlas Shrugged?) (New champion: $26,200)
(Alex: [To Emily] And you selected Aldous Huxley's [*].)

Total Potential Lach Trash: $6,000

GAME DYNAMICS

CORYAT SCORES
Dave: $24,400, 30 R (including 1 DD), 2 W
Ryan: $8,800, 14 R (including 1 DD), 5 W (including 1 DD)
Emily: $4,000, 11 R, 3 W
Combined Coryat: $37,200

BATTING AVERAGES
Dave: 30/59 = .508
Ryan: 15/60 = .250
Emily: 12/58 = .207
Team: 57/63 = .905

MISCELLANEOUS INTERESTING CLUES
DEAD IN SHAKESPEARE $800: In "Macbeth" the status quo for him (but not his son Fleance) was being murdered
(Emily: Who is Macduff?)

MUSIC OF 20 YEARS AGO $1000: Barenaked Ladies worked "The X-Files", Aquaman, Snickers & Sailor Moon into this title amount of time
(Ryan: What's 90 minutes?)

AFTER NOON $400: This adjective applies to the type of skiing seen here
(Emily: What is cross-country?)

COLORFUL ORIGINS $800: Swimmers dread this irritating element derived from a Greek word for "green"
(Ryan: What is verdigris?)

COLORFUL ORIGINS $1200: Scottish words for "red Robert" led to this famous nickname for Robert MacGregor
(Dave: What is Robert the Bruce?)

LANGUAGE $1600: (Kelly shows two French words on the monitor.) In French words like garçon & français, this diacritical mark goes under the "C" to soften it to an "S" sound, not a "K" sound

LANGUAGE $2000: In Turkish a "G" under a little curvy line is basically silent, as in this last name of Recep, Turkey's leader since 2003
(Dave: [Pronouncing the "G"] What is [*]? ... [*]?)
(Alex: [*]. You make the "G" silent.)

FAMOUS JEWISH AMERICANS $800: Later active in New York City government, on September 8, 1945, Bess Myerson became the first & so far only Jewish holder of this title

FAMOUS JEWISH AMERICANS $1600: A campaigner for immigrant rights, she penned a poem that is on a plaque at the Statue of Liberty

ECO-READER $1600: "A Walk in the Woods" is Bill Bryson's account of rediscovering America by hiking this east coast footpath
(Ryan: What's the Trans-Appalachian Trail? What's [*])
(Alex: [Overlapping as Ryan gives the second response] No.)
(Alex: As you discovered earlier this week, Ryan, you cannot change your response after we have ruled against you.)

CORRECT RESPONSES
the Reign of Terror
the Gold Glove
Shanghai
German
mauve
Magenta
the Tagus River
Brave New World
Banquo
"One Week"
Nordic
chlorine
Rob Roy
a cedilla
Erdoğan
Miss America
(Emma) Lazarus
the Appalachian Trail
Last edited by Archivists on Wed Jan 30, 2019 4:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by theFJguy »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
FUTURISTIC FICTION

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
Fear of the social reorganization represented by an auto tycoon’s innovations inspired this 1932 novel

Ryan Fenster: 6000+6000=12000
Emily Moore: 4000+3998=7998
Dave Mattingly: 26200-0=26200 (New Champ)

Correct response:
Spoiler
Brave New World (Dave - Atlas Shrugged)

Daily Doubles
Ryan: 4000-4000
Ryan: 2800+2800
Dave: 11200+3000

Coryats
Ryan: 8800
Emily: 4000
Dave: 24400

Combined: 37,200

Scores at the end of the Jeopardy! Round
Ryan: 800
Emily: 2000
Dave: 7200
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Alex's introductory remarks included telling Dave Mattingly that he did not look old enough to have played in Major League Baseball so many years ago. Better was complimenting Emily on the way she signed in:
Spoiler
At story time Ryan talked about his 7th grade quiz bowl and said, "I carried the team." It leading towards Ryan not knowing his own phone number when the coach wanted the players to call home after a competition did not get the bragging bit off the hook. Ryan was destined to lose J! at that point.

The FJ! clue had me match Ryan and Emily for the correct title with no detours. Did Dave really not know it or are we back to mind games of past champs with a lock and zero wager of not wanting to give away knowledge of an area, looking ahead to TOC strategy? :)

If Ryan solved DD1 then perhaps he wins. Or Dave just bets more on DD3 to still lock the match. We don't know. DD1 specified September 5, 1793, so that should be enough to clearly make Ryan's response wrong, so no reversal this time.
AndyTheQuizzer
Lots and Lots of Interviews

Post by AndyTheQuizzer »

PanthersFan1 wrote: Fri Jul 20, 2018 11:44 am Removed
(I have removed the above post and have taken a screenshot for near-future posterity.)
Andy Saunders
J! Archive Founding Archivist
Publisher - The Jeopardy! Fan
9021amyers

Post by 9021amyers »

The story behind Dave’s Twitter account:

RobW
Boy, this was fun! :)

Post by RobW »

Alex seemed thrown off near the end of DJ when Dave pronounced the leader of Turkey as err-doe-gun and not err-doe-wan

Of course that's phonetically acceptable as per Jeopardy convention, but in this case I think Alex really wanted to say no because the clue text specifically focuses on the fact that the ğ in Erdoğan is "mostly silent."

Alex never explicitly tells Dave that he's correct, we just see Dave's score increase by $2000 and after an awkward half-beat, Alex tells him to go ahead and choose again.

Funny!
formerly known as doitneatly
twitter: @rob_worman
tiwonge
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by tiwonge »

Is there any reason why the FJ clue didn't mention Ford? That kind of threw me. (I still got it right, because of the "social reorganization" with the Alphas and Betas etc., and the fact that Huxley uses the AF (After Ford) date convention in the novel.) But it did have me trying to think if there was some other novel that mentioned Ford that I was not remembering.
Leander

Post by Leander »

Was surprised no one could get Gold Glove off the rebound from Golden.
xxaaaxx

Post by xxaaaxx »

Well, I figured sooner or later Ryan would fall behind and run out of time before being able to mount a comeback, but I didn't think it would end in a 20k beatdown. Yikes. See you in the TOC, Ryan.

Instaget FJ.
StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Post by StevenH »

Congrats to Dave! It's awesome to see a regular TCONA goer do well on the show. And congrats to Ryan on the run!

The music of 20 years ago category was an easy run for me, and I am actually going to the 20th anniversary show for the Lauryn Hill album in a few weeks. It's so hard to believe that the music that came up in that category is already 20 years old!

I hesitated on the Tagus River. For some reason I always think that it flows north to south.

I got FJ, but mainly from the year and category. I honestly didn't know what the book was about. I also found it odd that there was a Shakespeare category in the J! round and then a FJ on a book whose title comes from a line in a Shakespeare play.
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

Leander, I don't think TPTB let the contestants go for the rebound, since Alex kinda gave it away.
Writers, since when is the Appalachian Trail considered on the east coast?
Guessed the French Revolution Calendar for Reign of Terror.
trash: Gold Glove (but given my hypothesis above...), Tagus.
FJ! was easy. Atlas Shrugged in 1932?
synchronicity: WWTBAM had a question on Erdogan, pronounced correctly. They just wanted the country, out of Turkey, Turkmenistan, Tunisia, and Trindad & Tobago.
UiscePreston
Valued Contributor

Post by UiscePreston »

tiwonge wrote: Fri Jul 20, 2018 7:09 pm Is there any reason why the FJ clue didn't mention Ford?
You hinted at the answer: to obfuscate the immediate connection of Anno Ford with Brave New World. Essentially, [pre-1930's] + [innovative] + [auto tycoon] muddies the reasoning from deductive to inductive because those clues might lead someone to Daimler or Benz in Central Europe. From there, it is a short hop to R.U.R., then a correction to "wait, that's a play", then time's up. Explicitly introducing Ford to the clue makes it a very easy FJ for people who know the novel and the link. And at that point, they might as well have just written, "This most famous Aldous Huxley novel directly influenced by Henry Ford".

What a truly great day on Jeopardy! And congratulations to the humble and tactful Dave Mattingly for a well-deserved victory .
Saturnalia
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Saturnalia »

I am not even an NFL fan, and I find Scorigami enthralling. Very cool to have the creator on J.
JoshuaKreitzer
Valued Contributor

Post by JoshuaKreitzer »

MarkBarrett wrote: Fri Jul 20, 2018 11:32 am Alex's introductory remarks included telling Dave Mattingly that he did not look old enough to have played in Major League Baseball so many years ago.
He must have been thinking of Don Mattingly, because nobody named Dave Mattingly has ever played in Major League Baseball.
sarisson

Post by sarisson »

The new champ is an A-rundler who's done well in the last two WQC's (I remember his name from the sign-in sheet at One Star Bar last year). I've played him twice in minileagues and lost both times.
In addition to Scorigami, he also founded the site gameshowtheory.com, which hasn't been updated in a few years. It analyzed players in the 2015 TOC by buzz percentage, Coryat, and precision (percentage of clues a contestant buzzed in first on that he or she got right). From his analysis, he correctly predicted the first- and second-place finishers!
Hoping for a third lap
hscer

Post by hscer »

MarkBarrett wrote: Fri Jul 20, 2018 11:32 amDid Dave really not know it or are we back to mind games of past champs with a lock and zero wager of not wanting to give away knowledge of an area, looking ahead to TOC strategy? :)
Someone actually did that?

RobW wrote: Fri Jul 20, 2018 4:34 pm Alex seemed thrown off near the end of DJ when Dave pronounced the leader of Turkey as err-doe-gun and not err-doe-wan

Of course that's phonetically acceptable as per Jeopardy convention, but in this case I think Alex really wanted to say no because the clue text specifically focuses on the fact that the ğ in Erdoğan is "mostly silent."

Alex never explicitly tells Dave that he's correct, we just see Dave's score increase by $2000 and after an awkward half-beat, Alex tells him to go ahead and choose again.

Funny!
Yeah I thought it probably sh/could have been wrong in this instance because the clue tells you how to pronounce it.
Now Completed: TD 224 - Airplane!
Coming Eventually: hscer's 3rd TD

Twitter: http://twitter.com/hscer
Sporcle: http://www.sporcle.com/user/hscer
AndyTheQuizzer
Lots and Lots of Interviews

Post by AndyTheQuizzer »

hscer wrote: Fri Jul 20, 2018 9:38 pm
Someone actually did that?
And they won the ToC in 2015 in doing so.
Andy Saunders
J! Archive Founding Archivist
Publisher - The Jeopardy! Fan
floridagator

Post by floridagator »

When Dave came up with cedilla, I knew he wouldn't be caught. Before that I was mentally calculating 50% of his total to see if the champ could keep up.

I felt uncharacteristically old when I saw Emily struggle to come up with Calvin. Calvin and Hobbes only ran from 1985 to 1995 so it is probably almost unknown to millennials. It is a true Gen x thing.

(Interestingly, if Bill Watterson had agreed to do animated Calvin and Hobbes cartoons, it would probably be as well known among Millennials as Peanuts is among gen-xers. Plenty of gen-xers weren't readers of the Peanuts newspaper comic strip and mostly knew it from the animated TV specials.)
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.
mxc_takeshi

Post by mxc_takeshi »

Weather reports cut off the first half of the Jeopardy Round for me, so I only saw the remaining 3 categories there.

34 right.

Music of 20 Years Ago (3), Dead in Shakespeare (4), After Noon (3)
Rivers (4), Colorful Origins (4), "C" You in the Funny Papers (4), Language (3), Eco-Reader (4), Famous Jewish Americans (5)

Lach Trash: mauve, magenta

I had no idea for FJ.