Tuesday, July 24, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

mxc_takeshi
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Tuesday, July 24, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by mxc_takeshi »

36 right.

It's About the Money (3), Bible Book Abbreviations (4), 2-Term Cabinet Officers (4), Only a Test (3), Celebrity Memoirs (4), Meaty Language (2)
Writers of Colonial America (3), Hall of Fame Infield (3), Neo Geo (4), Ends in "FF" (3), A Ratio (2), Horn Blower (1)

Lach Trash: Total Recall, Roger Williams, Colombia, King Philip's War

The "sinful" portion, and remembering past clues about its debut just after World War II helped me answer correctly.
A drop of golden sun
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by A drop of golden sun »

DBear wrote: Tue Jul 24, 2018 8:30 pm tons of trash available today: Mormons, Total Recall, bull mastiff, gear, cornet, Virginia, Roger Williams, Columbia, Yellowstone, friction, King Philip.
FJ was definitely WECIB.
You forgot strain in the Ratios category. It was absolutely appalling to see so many gimmes (e.g. Columbia, cornet, Mormon church, gear ratio) that not a single one of the players knew...pretty much all of the above were gimmes. The Greek Letter mu was a big clue in the friction clue in the ratio category for anyone who has ever taken high school physics, which I thought was most people who make it onto Jeopardy!

How is it possible that Alex doesn't know that the Greek letter mu is pronounced "miu", not "moo" ???????????????? :o
AndyTheQuizzer
Lots and Lots of Interviews

Post by AndyTheQuizzer »

A drop of golden sun wrote: Fri Jul 27, 2018 3:34 am
DBear wrote: Tue Jul 24, 2018 8:30 pm tons of trash available today: Mormons, Total Recall, bull mastiff, gear, cornet, Virginia, Roger Williams, Columbia, Yellowstone, friction, King Philip.
FJ was definitely WECIB.
It was absolutely appalling to see so many gimmes (e.g. Columbia, cornet, Mormon church, gear ratio) that not a single one of the players knew...pretty much all of the above were gimmes.
Something that you think might be common knowledge might not be common knowledge to everyone, or, something might happen on stage with the neurons that cause the contestants to decide to STAY CLAM, remember, you're not risking actual money at home on your couch.
Andy Saunders
J! Archive Founding Archivist
Publisher - The Jeopardy! Fan
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

A drop of golden sun wrote: Fri Jul 27, 2018 3:34 am
FJ was definitely WECIB.
You forgot strain in the Ratios category. It was absolutely appalling to see so many gimmes (e.g. Columbia, cornet, Mormon church, gear ratio) that not a single one of the players knew...pretty much all of the above were gimmes. The Greek Letter mu was a big clue in the friction clue in the ratio category for anyone who has ever taken high school physics, which I thought was most people who make it onto Jeopardy!

How is it possible that Alex doesn't know that the Greek letter mu is pronounced "miu", not "moo" ???????????????? :o
I would take the under for strain at 25% if it is interesting enough to poll. It is very YEKIOYD imho. I never use the term in a professional setting without defining it the first time as the "deflection", or similar explanation. It's kind of like "moment" in physics - nobody quite knows what it means ;) . I usually think in terms of "stress vs. strain" which is indeed a ratio, but is still a right brain barrier to sussing out this clue.

FWIW, I looked it up, and it seems the Brits use the "moo" pronunciation as an alternative. It still hurts myie ears.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

A drop of golden sun wrote: Fri Jul 27, 2018 3:34 am How is it possible that Alex doesn't know that the Greek letter mu is pronounced "miu", not "moo" ???????????????? :o
I've heard it both ways.

https://www.thefreedictionary.com/mu
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

As a former longtime mastiff owner and devotee of the breed, I agree that "mastiff" should not have received a BMS. To say a bullmastiff is a "type of mastiff," however true in some sense, plays fast and loose with the established names for breeds. (It's a little like arguing "dog" should have received a BMS, or "mammal," "vertebrate," "animal"... yes, a bullmastiff is all of those things, but at some point, the BMS shouldn't apply. Also, I'm still not over the fact that Alex didn't give me a second BMS when I said "brown bear" for the state animal of California. :D)

One of my favorite bizarre childhood memories was when I was accosted by a stranger while walking my English mastiff, said stranger wishing to inform me that I owned a bullmastiff. He kept it up for like three minutes, totally obtuse to any explanation I might give him as to why my dog was not a bullmastiff.
davey

Post by davey »

Robert K S wrote: Fri Jul 27, 2018 11:48 am As a former longtime mastiff owner and devotee of the breed, I agree that "mastiff" should not have received a BMS. To say a bullmastiff is a "type of mastiff," however true in some sense, plays fast and loose with the established names for breeds. (It's a little like arguing "dog" should have received a BMS, or "mammal," "vertebrate," "animal"... yes, a bullmastiff is all of those things, but at some point, the BMS shouldn't apply. Also, I'm still not over the fact that Alex didn't give me a second BMS when I said "brown bear" for the state animal of California. :D)

One of my favorite bizarre childhood memories was when I was accosted by a stranger while walking my English mastiff, said stranger wishing to inform me that I owned a bullmastiff. He kept it up for like three minutes, totally obtuse to any explanation I might give him as to why my dog was not a bullmastiff.
Just the fact that it's spelled as one word emphasizes its distinctness. I said mastiff and was ready to add bull if there was a pause, but there wasn't and I admit I didn't know enough.
A drop of golden sun
Loyal Jeopardista

There was this one time years ago when a clue was about a leader in the Indian Independence movement. The player said "who is Nehru?" and Alex said "be more specific." He couldn't come up with "Who is Jawaharlal Nehru" so he was called incorrect. I was like, "Are you kidding me?????" He got Nehru, just give it to him! So, yeah, maybe Jawarharlal's father Motilal could also fit the clue because he was also involved in the very early days of the Independence movement, but come on, if you say "Nehru," everybody knows you're talking about Jawaharlal.
Last edited by A drop of golden sun on Fri Jul 27, 2018 4:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

One time they asked for the person for whom the capital of Nevada was named. In the $200 box. Just "Carson" got a BMS. The contestant fell silent and the other two failed to ring in. One of the most ridiculous BMSes up there IMO.
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Fri Jul 27, 2018 3:28 pm One time they asked for the person for whom the capital of Nevada was named. In the $200 box. Just "Carson" got a BMS. The contestant fell silent and the other two failed to ring in. One of the most ridiculous BMSes up there IMO.
Totally disagree. When they ask who Carson City was named after, it's not enough to say, "I'm guessing some guy named Carson?"
A drop of golden sun
Loyal Jeopardista

Random question: does Alex have detailed instructions for what possible responses are/are not correct, or should elicit a "be more specific," or does he just use his discretion?

And is it the judges who decide if the player's pronunciation of the response is good enough to be correct, or does Alex decide? It looked like he didn't want to give the player Erdagan (President of Turkey) because he mispronounced the g, but grudgingly gave it to him.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

opusthepenguin wrote: Fri Jul 27, 2018 4:25 pm
TenPoundHammer wrote: Fri Jul 27, 2018 3:28 pm One time they asked for the person for whom the capital of Nevada was named. In the $200 box. Just "Carson" got a BMS. The contestant fell silent and the other two failed to ring in. One of the most ridiculous BMSes up there IMO.
Totally disagree. When they ask who Carson City was named after, it's not enough to say, "I'm guessing some guy named Carson?"
But are there any other frontiersmen named Carson that the capital could have been named after? Why use this clue, in the top box no less, to subvert the "We only need the last name unless there is more than one person who fits the criterion" rule? Reading the thread, it seems a lot of people here agreed that it was an unnecessary BMS just built to screw over whoever wins the buzzer race. Jeff6286 even points out here that it goes against precedent.

"Occlude" BMSing to "Eclipse" was also pretty fishy, IMO.
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Fri Jul 27, 2018 4:48 pm
But are there any other frontiersmen named Carson that the capital could have been named after? Why use this clue, in the top box no less, to subvert the "We only need the last name unless there is more than one person who fits the criterion" rule? Reading the thread, it seems a lot of people here agreed that it was an unnecessary BMS just built to screw over whoever wins the buzzer race. Jeff6286 even points out here that it goes against precedent.
No he doesn't. He points out that sometimes they have clues that simply ask for the state capital. Yes. Yes they do. And if that's all they had asked in the Carson City clue, I would have been fine with "Carson City" being accepted. But when they ask who a state capital is named after, they're asking for proof that you know MORE than just the name of the state capital.

Consider this scenario:

ALEX: ...and our last category is US CAPITAL NAMESAKES. A word of explanation here. We give you the US state. You tell us who the capital of that state was named after. Ok, Bobby, make your selection.

BOBBY: US CAPITAL NAMESAKES for $200, please

ALEX: WISCONSIN. ... Bobby?

BOBBY: Who is Madison?

ALEX: Yes. Go again.

BOBBY: CAPITALs, $400

ALEX: ALABAMA. ... Bobby.

BOBBY: Who is Montgomery?

ALEX: Correct!

BOBBY: Same category, $600.

ALEX: MISSOURI. ... Bobby!

BOBBY: Who is Jefferson?

ALEX: That's right.

BOBBY: $800

ALEX: TENNESSEE. ... Bobby, again.

BOBBY: Who is... Nash?

ALEX: You got it. Keep going.

BOBBY: Finish it out for $1000

ALEX: SOUTH DAKOTA. ... Ok, Bobby.

BOBBY: Who is Pierre?

ALEX: ...I need a last name.

BOBBY: Oh, come on!
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

opusthepenguin wrote: Fri Jul 27, 2018 11:10 am
A drop of golden sun wrote: Fri Jul 27, 2018 3:34 am How is it possible that Alex doesn't know that the Greek letter mu is pronounced "miu", not "moo" ???????????????? :o
I've heard it both ways.

https://www.thefreedictionary.com/mu
All my Russian math TAs pronounced pi as "pee" and were legit mystified whenever someone would say "pie".
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

opusthepenguin wrote: Fri Jul 27, 2018 5:11 pm
TenPoundHammer wrote: Fri Jul 27, 2018 4:48 pm
No he doesn't. He points out that sometimes they have clues that simply ask for the state capital. Yes. Yes they do. And if that's all they had asked in the Carson City clue, I would have been fine with "Carson City" being accepted. But when they ask who a state capital is named after, they're asking for proof that you know MORE than just the name of the state capital.

Consider this scenario:

ALEX: ...and our last category is US CAPITAL NAMESAKES. A word of explanation here. We give you the US state. You tell us who the capital of that state was named after. Ok, Bobby, make your selection.

BOBBY: US CAPITAL NAMESAKES for $200, please

ALEX: WISCONSIN. ... Bobby?

BOBBY: Who is Madison?

ALEX: Yes. Go again.

BOBBY: CAPITALs, $400

ALEX: ALABAMA. ... Bobby.

BOBBY: Who is Montgomery?

ALEX: Correct!

BOBBY: Same category, $600.

ALEX: MISSOURI. ... Bobby!

BOBBY: Who is Jefferson?

ALEX: That's right.

BOBBY: $800

ALEX: TENNESSEE. ... Bobby, again.

BOBBY: Who is... Nash?

ALEX: You got it. Keep going.

BOBBY: Finish it out for $1000

ALEX: SOUTH DAKOTA. ... Ok, Bobby.

BOBBY: Who is Pierre?

ALEX: ...I need a last name.

BOBBY: Oh, come on!
I enjoyed this. For what it's worth, I don't remember his last name either. Also, the guy nicknamed "Pig's Eye" who founded what is now known as St. Paul, MN, was also named Pierre something.
Robert K S wrote: Fri Jul 27, 2018 5:40 pm All my Russian math TAs pronounced pi as "pee" and were legit mystified whenever someone would say "pie".
Ah, but how did they pronounce Pierre?
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Well played, Opus. I lol'd.
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

opusthepenguin wrote: Wed Jul 25, 2018 6:57 am
BigDaddyMatty wrote: Tue Jul 24, 2018 11:49 pm Dave continues to be Dave. I'm so happy for him. It didn't hurt that Tara waved the white flag on DD3, but that cinch of a FJ! clue rendered the matter moot.
Even if she'd gone all in, Dave still would have had a runaway. (For future contestants, this is an argument FOR going all in. When you're up against a monster like Dave, you have to maximize every opportunity and realize that even then it might not be enough.)
Yeah, it's disappointing to watch when a player won't make the gutsy move, because we want to see some fight, but I get why people make the timid wager even if they're almost certainly throwing away any chance at winning the game

Dog breeds is a category where I consistently fall short on Jeopardy!

I had griffin but couldn't get to hippogriff in a million years. Well, maybe in 1 year

I got bikini but it wasn't an instaget. I immediately jumped from 'sinful' to miniskirt, then thought about the 4 triangles, tried to imagine how they'd fit together, and only then it clicked. The year sealed the deal
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »