Tuesday, July 24, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Ironhorse
Second Banana

Re: Tuesday, July 24, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Ironhorse »

I got FJ right but I just now figured out the significance of the four triangles. Headdesk.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

A clue asked for a completion to the phrase "Neither fish...." They accepted "nor fowl" as they should have. I wonder what else they were prepared to accept. The phrase can also be "Neither fish nor flesh." And either flesh or fish can be followed by "nor good red herring." I think "Neither fish nor flesh nor fowl" is also possible. I suspect at least one of those possibilities would have caught Alex flatfooted and led to a retraction later.

I think this FJ divides into those who thought of the correct response and got it right vs those who just didn't get there. I'd be surprised and interested to hear from anyone who thought of bikini and rejected it for something else. One possible miss is my wife's answer of "string bikini". She reasoned that the modifier was necessary since other types don't meet the 4 triangle description. But "string bikini" applies to the 1946 creation anachronistically if at all. What do our judges think?
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

Vowela wrote: Tue Jul 24, 2018 7:49 pm
xxaaaxx wrote: Tue Jul 24, 2018 7:39 pm
Vowela wrote: Tue Jul 24, 2018 7:32 pm I was shocked that mastiff didn't get a BMS. What was the wording on that clue?
"This dog crossbreed began in England around 1860 to guard against poachers."
That makes sense. Can't really say mastiff by itself was correct.
That's a brutal lack of BMS though. Mastiff is a generic term for mastiff breeds in addition to being synonymous for the English mastiff.
At the very least I would've hoped for a pause.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
trainman
Moderator Extraordinaire

Post by trainman »

Surprised we have fewer Federal Bikini Inspectors on this site than I thought we did.
twelvefootboy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by twelvefootboy »

Elijah Baley wrote: Tue Jul 24, 2018 3:08 pm It would have been interesting to see if Tara could have made a game of it going all in on that DD.
And this FJ was even easier than yesterday's. I mean, WECIB?
An all in bet is certainly the right play. But, it was still a very longshot and they all just stared at a map of Colombia, so it must have been a low confidence category. If this was a fight, the ref would have stopped it after the first round.
DBear wrote: Tue Jul 24, 2018 8:30 pm tons of trash available today: Mormons, Total Recall, bull mastiff, gear, cornet, Virginia, Roger Williams, Columbia, Yellowstone, friction, King Philip.
FJ was definitely WECIB.
But how about strain? I couldn't believe the friction and strain clues were up there. And Dave did good IMHO to pull out pressure from Charles' law. These were the most academic clues I've seen in a long time in this ratio category.
What up with pronouncing "mu" as "moo"? It made me ears hurt.
opusthepenguin wrote: Tue Jul 24, 2018 9:39 pm The phrase can also be "Neither fish nor flesh." And either flesh or fish can be followed by "nor good red herring."

:lol:
opusthepenguin wrote: Tue Jul 24, 2018 9:39 pm
One possible miss is my wife's answer of "string bikini". She reasoned that the modifier was necessary since other types don't meet the 4 triangle description. But "string bikini" applies to the 1946 creation anachronistically if at all. What do our judges think?
I hesitated to simplify it to just "bikini" because the 4 triangle description suggests the oh so magnificent string version :lol: . But I thought the original was probably a big diaper bottom and a lot of frou-frou. Turns out to be pretty much a string based garment from a quick google image search for the Louis Reard bikini. Another French phrase from yesterday pre-calls - Ooh La La!!

---- Apologies for the multiple quotes if this isn't cool. I just couldn't pick one :roll:
Last edited by twelvefootboy on Tue Jul 24, 2018 11:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

44 R
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: Mormon Church, Total Recall, Cornet, Virginia, Roger Williams, Colombia, Yellowstone, Friction, King Philip, Anne Bradstreet
Last edited by LucarioSnooperVixey on Wed Jul 25, 2018 6:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Douglas Squasoni
BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

Coryat: 35,200
49 R/5 W
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: LDS Church, Total Recall, bullmastiff, gear ratio, Yellowstone, friction, strain

Dave continues to be Dave. I'm so happy for him. It didn't hurt that Tara waved the white flag on DD3, but that cinch of a FJ! clue rendered the matter moot.
MarkBarrett wrote: Tue Jul 24, 2018 12:34 pm The clue had me able to string together the bits of information to picture what to write with no trouble at all.
I see what you did there.

National _____ for the Arts was a particularly easy $1000 clue.
Sprinkles are for winners.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

4/5 in four categories in J!: missed the steak knives quote (Glengarry Glen Ross rings no bells for me at all), lichen, Galatians (got snagged on "Gallicians"), and interest (didn't quite seem to fit).

It was very hard for me to resist adding "Hawley-Smoot" on "FF" for $800.

Why didn't just "mastiff" get the BMS on "bull mastiff", if "helmet" got a BMS to "batting helmet"?

Argh! I know what a hippogriff is but I just couldn't decode the clue in time.

Lach Trash: Colombia

Instaget FJ! Can I end the season on at least a 3/5?
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Tue Jul 24, 2018 11:58 pm Why didn't just "mastiff" get the BMS on "bull mastiff", if "helmet" got a BMS to "batting helmet"?
(Northern) Ireland rule. There's no piece of kit explicitly labelled a 'helmet' in baseball (there's always qualifiers), but the AKC does recognize 'Mastiff' as a breed of its own: https://www.akc.org/dog-breeds/mastiff/

IMO, though, Trebek should have paused, i.e., the implied BMS, after mastiff as it's also considered a generic term for that type of dog.
(For my dog in the fight, I went "Mastiff. Bull mastiff." with barely a pause between them. I'm counting it, though I'd probably have paused longer if I was actually on the show.)
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
MattKnowles
selwonKttaM

Post by MattKnowles »

Volante wrote: Wed Jul 25, 2018 12:14 am IMO, though, Trebek should have paused, i.e., the implied BMS, after mastiff as it's also considered a generic term for that type of dog.
I thought there was a bit of a pause.

Edit: Paws

I had a dream that I was asleep and then I woke up and Jeopardy! was on.
BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Tue Jul 24, 2018 11:58 pm Why didn't just "mastiff" get the BMS on "bull mastiff", if "helmet" got a BMS to "batting helmet"?
The clue specifically said "this dog cross-breed" and showed a picture of the breed in question, so "mastiff" was wrong. It would be like BMSing "poodle" on a clue where the correct response was "labradoodle."
Sprinkles are for winners.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

BigDaddyMatty wrote: Wed Jul 25, 2018 2:07 am
The clue specifically said "this dog cross-breed" and showed a picture of the breed in question, so "mastiff" was wrong. It would be like BMSing "poodle" on a clue where the correct response was "labradoodle."
I think that's more of a gray area. "Mastiff" is an incomplete response of which "bull mastiff" is a clear subset. It's not like BMSing "What is Virginia?" when the correct response is "What is West Virginia?" since the latter isn't a subset of the former.

Then again, with some of the arcane BMSes they've pulled out of their ass, I wouldn't be surprised if just "What is a dog?" got a BMS...
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

BigDaddyMatty wrote: Tue Jul 24, 2018 11:49 pm Dave continues to be Dave. I'm so happy for him. It didn't hurt that Tara waved the white flag on DD3, but that cinch of a FJ! clue rendered the matter moot.
Even if she'd gone all in, Dave still would have had a runaway. (For future contestants, this is an argument FOR going all in. When you're up against a monster like Dave, you have to maximize every opportunity and realize that even then it might not be enough.)
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

This had to be one of the easiest games I've ever watched. I attempted 52 clues and missed only 3 for Coryat of $38,600. LT on Mormon, Total Recall, gear ratio, cornet, Roger Williams, Colombia, Yellowstone, friction. And yeah, after getting a scare when I saw the FJ category, it turned out to be as easy-peasy as they come. Ladies were hopelessly overmatched the Juggernaut Dave. He's not a superchamp (yet) but plays like one.

Tonight's game gives me 10 correct FJ responses in a row, which I'm pretty sure is the first time I've ever done that.

Wonder if Dave can run the week and spend the rest of his summer getting tan, ready, and rested to return in the new season. Many congrats to the champ.
billiej

Post by billiej »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Wed Jul 25, 2018 2:21 am
I think that's more of a gray area. "Mastiff" is an incomplete response of which "bull mastiff" is a clear subset. It's not like BMSing "What is Virginia?" when the correct response is "What is West Virginia?" since the latter isn't a subset of the former.

Then again, with some of the arcane BMSes they've pulled out of their ass, I wouldn't be surprised if just "What is a dog?" got a BMS...
Bullmastiff is not a subset, it is a completely separate breed.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

billiej wrote: Wed Jul 25, 2018 9:46 am

It's a TYPE of Mastiff isn't it?
billiej

Post by billiej »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Wed Jul 25, 2018 9:51 am
billiej wrote: Wed Jul 25, 2018 9:46 am

It's a TYPE of Mastiff isn't it?
By that logic, to use your example, West Virginia is a type of Virginia, since it was part of it at one time and still retains it in the name.

Having said that, I wouldn't have been offended by a BMS here. But I also understand why there wasn't one.
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Tue Jul 24, 2018 11:58 pm 4/5 in four categories in J!: missed the steak knives quote (Glengarry Glen Ross rings no bells for me at all), lichen, Galatians (got snagged on "Gallicians"), and interest (didn't quite seem to fit).
You're a little young. It was one of those movies you just HAD to rent at some point in the early to mid-90s. The steak knives quote became an early meme and has lasted for a while. You've probably encountered it or a variation at some point in your life. But if it was a variation, you might not have known what the original said. And if it was the original, it might not have stuck.

Amusingly, your post followed BigDaddyMatty's sig line which is "Sprinkles are for winners." That's from a Progressive Insurance ad but the line may be modeled on one from Glengarry Glen Ross: "Coffee is for closers."

Here's the whole scene if you like--coffee, steak knives, and all:

I'd say it was the role Alec Baldwin was born to play, but I don't think anyone is actually born as a smug superior prick. You have to work at it.
Elijah Baley

Post by Elijah Baley »

I'm filing "Bullmastiff is not the same as a Mastiff" under "Learn something new every day."

And I'm surprised by the folks that didn't get this FJ - maybe growing up in an era where bikinis were still a tad scandalous made this much easier for some of us old(er) folks.
pinkfreud
Jeopardy! Contestant

Post by pinkfreud »

squarekara wrote: Tue Jul 24, 2018 5:12 pm I know the timing's way off, but "four triangles" led me to brassiere. I'd never have written it down, but it made sense from the clothing construction standpoint.
Kara, give yourself partial credit: you were half right. :D